PDA

View Full Version : King of Ruapuna - Round 1

k14
10th October 2004, 17:00
Well, the day dawned overcast and drizzly but this didn't detur us. We arrived out at the track as the cloud was lifting. The track was completly soaked but dried out by the time the first session started.

Three kber's were out at the track today, Diesel Pig was riding his RS125 in F3 and his CBX550 in clubmans. Kickaha was riding his 400 ducati in clubmans and I was on Diesel Pigs RS125 in clubmans.

The first practice came round. A light shower was passing over the track, not enough to make the track really greasy but enough to make you hesitant. Considering this was my first time on the 125 and also my first time at ruapuna I was fairly nervous and taking it very easy. Although it was a bit of a struggle making it out in the first practice for clubmans. On the dummy grid in pit lane I was sitting there revving the bike waiting for us to get the ok to go out to the track, when suddenly it just died. I tried to crash start it a few times but no success. By now I had given up and decided that I would have to sit it out. I had a quick look at the fuel tap and :doh:, diesel pig had turned it off when he had come back from F3. I managed to get it going and tore out of the pits. Man are these 125's hard to launch, you have to ride the clutch for about half of the straight and then they still sometimes bogg down. Well after 4 laps the checkered flag came out and my first session was over. Managed to work out parts of the track and had some fun, but most importantly didn't bin it.

Around an hour later it was time for my first race. Remembered to turn the fuel on this time, so all was well. After lining up at the back of the grid the lights went red, then they went off. After the worst start in history and bogging the RS down about 3 times I was last into the first corner. Managed to pass a guy coming out of it though. A few corners later a guy went down, quite far ahead of me, but left a nice trail of oil across the width of the track. Had to go easy for that bit, but I managed to pick a few guys off as I was gradually getting used to the track. Towards the end kickaha slowed down a bit to let me catch up to him so he could show me how a "real" racer does it. I managed to use my bikes superior power and pass him coming out of the last corner on the last lap and took the chequered flag probably about 4 or 5 bike lengths ahead of him. Just remember that he "let" me pass him, so he is still better :not: I got a mate to do a bit of timing and my best lap was a 2:04, not too great, around 10 secs slower than diesel pig out in F3, but there was lots of room for improvement.

Along came race 2 and I was starting to feel alot more confident now, aiming for a sub 2 min lap. I still was loosing alot of time on the slower corners as I hadn't quite got the clutch slipping down to a fine art yet. I had a great start off the last row of the grid again (pretty sure the front came up for a sec even :banana: ) and I was "only" 3rd to last going into the first corner. After another few passing manouvres I found myself about 100-200m behind kickaha going into the last lap. Again he slowed to let me catch up as he didn't have anyone to duel with. Again using my superior straight line speed I went past him (shown in the pic below from dangerous) and managed to beat him to the line. Think I came in about 6 or 7 from last again, out of a field of 15 to 20. Again I managed to get my lap times down to 2:02, but not good enough in my opinion. Still looking for that sub 2 min one.

In race 3 I didn't get quite so good a start but managed to be around 4th to last out of the first corner. I could see kickaha ahead of me and I made sure I could stay with him. I passed him under braking going into the hairpin and he passed me back on the inside as I ran it slightly wide. Again I passed him on the short straight a few corners later, then he passed me back on the inside on the final sweeper as I ran slightly wide. I managed to come up along side him coming out of it and passed him again on the straight. I managed to pull a 5 or so bike length lead on him and was going to legitimately beat him when on the 2nd to last lap the RS gave up the ghost. As my luck would have it, it was at the furthest point away from the pits possible. After about a 10 min push I was eventually back at the pits. We couldn't work out the problem, the piston was fine and there was plenty of petrol left in it. We think the spark plug got fouled, so that was the end of my day. Managed to get my times down to 2:01 consistently. I'm pretty sure I could get under 2 mins it was just hard to string a whole lap together, think I managed to go fast in some sections and then slower in others. Oh well, there is always next time.

Big big thanks to kickaha for taking me out to the track and diesel pig for letting me ride his RS, you are both legends :not: :niceone:

Two Smoker
10th October 2004, 17:05
Hey K14, awesome to see you getting out there and doing it :niceone: how tall are you and what did the RS125 feel like size wise????very cramped????

What was it like to ride once going????

k14
10th October 2004, 17:09
Here are some pics :niceone:

From left to right, 1.)the RS, 2.)Kickaha coming into the dipper, 3.)Kickaha on the dummy grid, 4.)Me on the dummy grid, 5.)Me on the start line 6.)Me coming into pass a RGV250 at the dipper (from memory I don't think I pulled it off there, but got him coming onto the straight 2 corners later), 7.)Me going slow

dangerous
10th October 2004, 17:12
*Newbe on poxy 125 honda kicks old timer on duc*

heres a shot of K14 closing on Kickaha and the next shot is K14 passing Kickaha (whats up oll fella :whistle: ) then the other 2 are of course K14 and Kickaha.

ps: dont believe what K14 says about Kick slowing for him (age is catahing up I think, maybe he needs a Honda to put him ahead again)
K14's best time by Manuboy was 2:01

svs
10th October 2004, 17:55
good to see some news from the mainland. I was hoping to get down to do the nationals in december on the SV, but a lack of funds has put a damper on that.

Hopefully will get down to watch the round at teretonga tho.

keep up the good work :spudbooge

k14
10th October 2004, 19:35
Hey K14, awesome to see you getting out there and doing it :niceone: how tall are you and what did the RS125 feel like size wise????very cramped????

What was it like to ride once going????

I'm 6 foot and I wouldn't say it was really comfortable but certainly not uncomfortable. My calves and hammies are really giving me greif for it now though. I could quite easily get tucked down right under the screen though. Just got to remember that tank is semi pointy in the crutch region and those brakes grab really really fast :killingme

Two Smoker
10th October 2004, 19:44
I'm 6 foot and I wouldn't say it was really comfortable but certainly not uncomfortable. My calves and hammies are really giving me greif for it now though. I could quite easily get tucked down right under the screen though. Just got to remember that tank is semi pointy in the crutch region and those brakes grab really really fast :killingme
Ah ok LOL, i was thinking about getting into 125GP, but was worried about my height..... Cheers :niceone:

Ms Piggy
10th October 2004, 19:49
Good day racing boys! I look forward to coming down in December and watching you from the sidelines. :spudwave:

Kickaha
10th October 2004, 20:34
*Newbe on poxy 125 honda kicks old timer on duc*

heres a shot of K14 closing on Kickaha and the next shot is K14 passing Kickaha (whats up oll fella :whistle: ) then the other 2 are of course K14 and Kickaha.

At least I was out there :finger:

Well I was riding a dodgy Italian bike,which last time I rode did one lap and fried the electrics and it had a intermittent problem with missing all day.

Both myself and K14 were fairly evenly matched for the day with him on a RS125,bike and rider about 140-150kg and say 40hp and me on the Ducati 400,bike and rider about 220-230kg and 40hp but with a lot more track time.

The Ducati launches far better and pulls off the corners good with the RS beig a bit quicker in the straights,our corner speed was pretty much the same but the RS would pull away as soon as it came on the power unfortunately in the first two races while I could nail the odd guy into the first corner they were all a bit quick for me so I was getting a bit lonely playing by myself :crybaby: ,I don't think K14 was convinced I'd slowed to let him catch up so I pulled a gap in the 2nd race and then slowed to let him pull me in again

In the 3rd I got my best start and got a bit more pushy only to come around the first corner and feel the bike start to die which let about 3 people past including K14 and so the chase began I managed to get back past him only to have the RS blow back past me,I could pull him back a little bit in a few places only to lose it again on the straights and then coming into the hairpin K14 pulls wide and signals he's stopping"game over" but he had me beat fair and square up until that point.

TwoSeven
10th October 2004, 21:19
yep - it was raining this morning so I went out for a ride - was fun till it dried up - so popped down the track to watch everyone. Was interesting seein everyone out there scratchin - quite enjoy watching it.

I got to see this crazey begger sitting backwards on a ducati four hundred slapping the side of the machine with one hand shouting "woa neddy, woa neddy" - The 125 rider following had to pass him quickly lest it explode in a ducasti cloud of blue smoke :laugh: :laugh:

Someone binned it in the afternoon session (F1/F2 class) and hopefully wasnt too badly hurt - so decided couldnt get out of studying for an exam any longer and had to leave - but was a good day out all in all.

k14
10th October 2004, 21:19
Don't worry, I knew you slowed down to let me catch up. Think it made me go a bit faster anyway, it's hard to work out the corner speed of a few corners when your out there by yourself.

Here are a few more pics of kickaha and diesel pig.

manuboy
10th October 2004, 22:11
Good Day. Everybody went fast. Too fast for my camera, so i waited till they stopped....

Photo 1 is ah.....k14 psyching up. Diesel Pig is just in front.

Photo 2 is Diesel pig trying to find his lunch, i think it got sucked into the carby or something, k14 is checking his ribs after he told diesel pig he'd shredded the bike, and Kickaha is just amused by it all...

p.s k14, that last lap was 9:12 including the push back the pits....push faster next time!

dangerous
11th October 2004, 04:59
yep - it was raining this morning so I went out for a ride - was fun till it dried up - so popped down the track to watch everyone.

ahhhh......... so that must of been you that I was talking to on the pit wall, might have to teach K14 how to do intro's, not a bad sound from that CBR of yours..... for a 250 :)

LB
11th October 2004, 05:09
Thanks for the write-ups guys. Looks like a good day was had by all.

We're coming down (flying) (in a plane, not low on the bikes!) for the Nationals early December - looking fwd to it, Ruapuna's a good track.

Motoracer
11th October 2004, 08:04
Nice work K14. No doubt, you have the talent. Keep at it, we need more racers in the sport.

All the best dude! :niceone:

I just wish I could do Ruapuna, I have only heard great things about it.

k14
11th October 2004, 11:14
Nice work K14. No doubt, you have the talent. Keep at it, we need more racers in the sport.

All the best dude! :niceone:

I just wish I could do Ruapuna, I have only heard great things about it.

Yeah cheers, although I don't know if your right about that first bit.

Save up your pennies and come down for the John Britten Memorial next march. Hopefully I'll have my own bike by then so I will be racing in it. Kickaha and diesel pig will probably be aswell. KK are you going to come down again?

Ghost Lemur
11th October 2004, 14:35
Great work k14. :first:

Looks like things are going well for ya. :Punk: