PDA

View Full Version : stripped the thread,,,

boomer
25th September 2007, 18:30
Trying to put the passenger pegs back on the bike to take the mrs for a blat, I've stripped a thread in the sub frame. Can someone please advise the best course of action?

Churr

Matt Bleck
25th September 2007, 18:36
get a Helicoil bro

boomer
25th September 2007, 18:37
get a Helicoil bro

thanks mate; will i get one from Repco or do i need to go large... and see an engineering firm?

and cheers for the race at the w/e :niceone: i would never have believed i could have been lapped going around teh east cape!

98tls
25th September 2007, 18:38
A $5 heli-coil would do it boomer.Your local bike shop will have one.

kevfromcoro
25th September 2007, 18:39
drill it out to a bigger size......and re tap it

terbang
25th September 2007, 18:46
I've stripped a thread in the sub frame. Can someone please advise the best course of action?

Churr

Argh, which butcher shop did you do your apprenticeship at? Helicoil it OK. What size is it (I mean the bolt not yer meat cleaver)? I might even have one here for ya, it would save you buying the whole kit.

Cajun
25th September 2007, 18:55
before i would heli coil, i would just tap the thread first to try and clean the thread first.

Sanx
25th September 2007, 19:04
I got a bunch of taps here if you need one, D.

boomer
25th September 2007, 19:12
cheers guys, it sounds like i might be lucky and could get away with tappin it ;) ... * giggles like a school girl.

i didnt get the bloody thing in very far and havin a look up the wee hole i see there's steel/ali shards in teh 1st 2 or 3 threads so maybe teh tap will work.

i'll give that a whirl. Thanks guys!!

A $5 heli-coil would do it boomer.Your local bike shop will have one.

drill it out to a bigger size......and re tap it

i hope it hasn't come to that yet :weep:

So its becoming a Sports Tourer?.....:woohoo:....luck with the re tap D'...!

its always been a cruiser with me on her :D

Argh, which butcher shop did you do your apprenticeship at? Helicoil it OK. What size is it (I mean the bolt not yer meat cleaver)? I might even have one here for ya, it would save you buying the whole kit.

cheers mate, i may be in touch shortly! ;)

before i would heli coil, i would just tap the thread first to try and clean the thread first.

sounds like the way to go !

Lol you fucken noob :p:bash:

i'm yet to find out what i'm good at.. i hope this isn't the only life i get :blink:

I got a bunch of taps here if you need one, D.

I might take u up on that Offer D.. churr bro.

imdying
25th September 2007, 19:35
i didnt get the bloody thing in very far and havin a look up the wee hole i see there's steel/ali shards in teh 1st 2 or 3 threads so maybe teh tap will work.Hmm, any chance you could tap it from the back out, or is it a blind hole?

Sanx
25th September 2007, 19:48
Another possibility: drill the hole out a tad, pack it with epoxy resin, then re-drill and tap back to the same size. proper epoxy should be about as hard as the alloy the sub-frame's made of...

boomer
25th September 2007, 20:51
Hmm, any chance you could tap it from the back out, or is it a blind hole?

that entails pullin the seat orf; i'll have a look see at the weekend. good thinkin batman

Another possibility: drill the hole out a tad, pack it with epoxy resin, then re-drill and tap back to the same size. proper epoxy should be about as hard as the alloy the sub-frame's made of...

if a tap don't work its going to the engineering shop.. far too many parts in that equation for me to fook up

Sell the thing and get yourself a Honda :finger:

i had one of them, it wasn't bad for a sewing machine; i've now got a brand new bolt that likes to go weeeeaally weeealy fast

Sounds about as exciting as a flat ping pong ball.....

* chuckles..

tappit then unwrap it.. if that fails i'll pay a proper munkee

boomer
1st October 2007, 17:31
The car mechanic tapped it for me.. easy and free :D

he's a good co^t, he does a lot of work for free that man, Pete Smith Auto's... on two different occasions hes welded the radiator for free and countless other stuff :clap:

puddy
1st October 2007, 17:36
Go on Dunc, tell the truth. You were trying on one of those big gay pack racks weren't you?:Pokey::Pokey::Pokey:

boomer
1st October 2007, 17:39
Go on Dunc, tell the truth. You were trying on one of those big gay pack racks weren't you?:Pokey::Pokey::Pokey:

it has it's merits... people may chorkle but they wouldn't expect me to be fast .. ummm... i'm liking this idea :yes: