PDA

View Full Version : GN250 again.

Jantar
25th September 2007, 19:32
Its almost 2 years since I last rode a GN250, so I had no hesitation in asking to borrow our club's ginny today while my VStrom was having a new rear tyre fitted. I rode the Strom the 10 kms to the bike shop at lunch time and returned to work on the Ginny. It was a real delight to ride through town, and easily travelled at the legal speed on the open road. I will admit to feeling a bit cramped at sitting so close to the handle bars.

Returning to the bike shop at 5:00 pm I felt what a lot of learners experience... FEAR. As this bike is the one we use for teaching learners, it has an L plate securely bolted to the rear number plate, and all the way from Clyde to Alex I had an idiot in a 4wd tailgating me. Yes I was at 100 +/- a bit, and I tried every trick that normally works to make him ease off. Touching the rear brakes just enough to show the brake light - didn't work; move hard left and slow down so that he could pass - he slowed down too; moving around to stay in his line of vision - he would just move also and stay hard up the exhaust. That just left one trick that did work: I passed a slower car without leaving him enough room to pass.

Learners - DONT try this. But keep it in mind for when you have a bit more experience.

Overall, the GN250 is still my choice as an ideal learners bike.

NighthawkNZ
25th September 2007, 19:37
Returning to the bike shop at 5:00 pm I felt what a lot of learners experience... FEAR. As this bike is the one we use for teaching learners, it has an L plate securely bolted to the rear number plate, and all the way from Clyde to Alex I had an idiot in a 4wd tailgating me. Yes I was at 100 +/- a bit, and I tried every trick that normally works to make him ease off. Touching the rear brakes just enough to show the brake light - didn't work; move hard left and slow down so that he could pass - he slowed down too; moving around to stay in his line of vision - he would just move also and stay hard up the exhaust. That just left one trick that did work: I passed a slower car without leaving him enough room to pass.

Learners - DONT try this. But keep it in mind for when you have a bit more experience.

Well done that man... and agree that the GN is a good learners bike... its just a pitty that the chiness haven't kept up the good workmanship of the japaness on this.

I had a similar experience the other day on the motorway... but it was a little bit easier on the firestorm to sort that out... :chase:

Mom
25th September 2007, 19:52
... I had an idiot in a 4wd tailgating me. Yes I was at 100 +/- a bit, and I tried every trick that normally works to make him ease off. Touching the rear brakes just enough to show the brake light - didn't work; move hard left and slow down so that he could pass - he slowed down too; moving around to stay in his line of vision - he would just move also and stay hard up the exhaust. That just left one trick that did work: I passed a slower car without leaving him enough room to pass.

Sorry you experienced the absolute arse that passes for another road user today. I used to find Subaru drivers the worst for the behaviour you experienced, and yes try as I might they dont stop. I particularly used the slow down and pull over to let them pass manouver (at highway speed) and was confounded by the fact they preferred to stay behind. In fact some would, it seemed to me actually try to run me off the road!!!

Congratulations finding a spot that you could overtake a car and get a buffer ( that is no mean feat on a GN) but I agree, the mighty GN250 is a great learners ride!

VXRider
25th September 2007, 21:01
Returning to the bike shop at 5:00 pm I felt what a lot of learners experience... FEAR. As this bike is the one we use for teaching learners, it has an L plate securely bolted to the rear number plate, and all the way from Clyde to Alex I had an idiot in a 4wd tailgating me.

I suspect the idiot in the wank tank would have been tailgating no matter what you were riding or driving... those who tailgate tend to do so regardless.
Any morning on the commute from the Hutt to Wellington, there will be at least one car somewhere on the trip who gets too close no matter which bike I ride or car I drive. They do it to every vehicle that is immediately in front of them.

let's face it most drivers are crap at leaving any room to safely stop, especially in wet weather and about 10% are just bloody dangerous at any time..