PDA

View Full Version : GPS and autorouting on PC?

cowboyz
26th September 2007, 16:55
ok. I have agarmin etrex legend gps which came loaded with NZ maps.
It is quite good.

I downloaded trackmaker and can make routes on it but the route do not follow the roads. You can mark it out with a pencil tool but it takes a while.

I have 2 maps. One is of ozzie and new zealand main roads and the other is a comprehensive road map of new zealand.

I also found a autorouting map (Free Open GPS NZ Autorouting (963)) and installed it but I think it is solely for upload to the gps. Trackmaker cant make sense of the map and I cant get it to load into mapsource either. At least I think I cant.

in mapsource there is a selection of NZ Open GPS Extended Map Set or NZ Open GPS Maps HS.

In the help file it says to change the routing tab in the preferences to follow the road but no such tab exists.

At the end of the day I dont really care what software I use but I dont want to be buying new software. Any ideas how I can get it to tell me how to get from point A to point B and stay on the road?

cooneyr
26th September 2007, 19:39
Check out this site (http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx). You can use Google maps point to point direction data and run the bookmarklet on the site over it. This opens a text box with the gpx text in it. Copy the txt past into a txt file, change the extension to gpx, upload it you your GPS and bobs your uncle.

Never tried it but planning on getting Legend HCX so have been searching the www for good stuff. Let us know if it does work and how well it works.

Cheers R

NordieBoy
26th September 2007, 19:58
I would sell your soul for a Garmin Zumo.

But until then my eTrex Legends with BrentC's maps will have to do.

Zukin
26th September 2007, 20:10
Have a look here
http://forums.gps.org.nz/index.php

They will have an answer :)

I use the Etrex and I use Maptoaster for the maps
But I dont do auto routing though, I manually add the waypoints and kinda join the dots together :whistle:

cowboyz
27th September 2007, 08:33
Check out this site (http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx). You can use Google maps point to point direction data and run the bookmarklet on the site over it. This opens a text box with the gpx text in it. Copy the txt past into a txt file, change the extension to gpx, upload it you your GPS and bobs your uncle.

Never tried it but planning on getting Legend HCX so have been searching the www for good stuff. Let us know if it does work and how well it works.

Cheers R

good idea but I cant get it to work. Plus mapping something online is a pain in the arse. Would prefer to do it offline.

cooneyr
27th September 2007, 10:48
good idea but I cant get it to work. Plus mapping something online is a pain in the arse. Would prefer to do it offline.

I agree that any mapping online is a pain. I'm heading to Europe for a month via Singapore and might pick a GPSr up on the way and was hoping this would work as dont want to get Europe software for $300 for a months use. Oh well.

One thing I did notice on an earlier version of the page is that they recommended removing certain lines from the txt file but I cant see the comments anymore so though maybe they had updated the bookmarklet????

Cheers R

Bonez
30th September 2007, 07:53
I have 2 maps. One is of ozzie and new zealand main roads and the other is a comprehensive road map of new zealand.
It's been mentioned to me that GPS maps of NZ have a lot of "paper roads", so be wary. It may pay to refer to a paper map to comfirm that the road in fact does exist and goes were the gps one say it does. Ironic really.

NZsarge
30th September 2007, 08:40
It's been mentioned to me that GPS maps of NZ have a lot of "paper roads", so be wary. It may pay to refer to a paper map to comfirm that the road in fact does exist and goes were the gps one say it does. Ironic really.

Yes, I don't think it's time to do away with paper maps just yet eh

tinbasher
30th September 2007, 17:23
I havent figured how to download Brent C maps to my GPS. The connection between GPS and computer dont match

NordieBoy
30th September 2007, 20:09
I havent figured how to download Brent C maps to my GPS. The connection between GPS and computer dont match

Which GPS do you have?

tinbasher
13th October 2007, 20:19
Garmin Etrex

NordieBoy
13th October 2007, 22:03
Which eTrex?
Camo, Summit, Venture, Legend, Vista...

pritch
14th October 2007, 13:16
I don't understand what you guys are on about here but I came across this recently. I have bought stuff of these guys before and they are reliable.

One of these might have been nice when I did my South Island tour in March.
It won't tell you where you are particularly but should tell you where you've been.

http://www.helmetheadcyclegear.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?pid=6424