PDA

View Full Version : WOF advice

Grumpy
11th October 2004, 16:59
Got myself a new bike so now starts the usual late night sessions on the web sussing out ideas on modding it.
The first thing that comes to mind is dumping the mudguard as it tends to mess up what is a rather tasty arse end.
My question is... has anyone out there dealt to their mudguards in a similar way and what things need to taken into consideration as far as the WOF goes?
I am aware that I need a white light over the number plate but I have been told that a mudguard is a legal requirement. The bike comes with a hugger. Can this be classed as a mudguard?
Any advice folks?
I appologise if this has already been covered in an earlier thread... I'm a bit lazy like that.

Oh yeah... The bikes a nice black Kwaka Z1000.

Motu
11th October 2004, 19:02
Hmmm,lotsa grey areas on motorcycle mudguards - the blind eye gets used a lot.On another thread we are talking about street legal dirt bikes like XRs - no way should these bikes get a WoF...the No plate lamp is so far away from the plate it's useless,the mudguard covers nothing - it stops mud from getting on the rider,not other road users.Your hugger is more for keeping your bike clean,if it's gone who's to know? It'd depend on how exposed it looks - if an XR 250 can get a WoF maybe your ZPQ can too.

DEATH_INC.
11th October 2004, 19:15
Taking the undertail gaurd extension off is illegal(pretty sure it must cover a certain portion of the tyre),but most wof places won't know.Just don't go to a bike place.....
Maybe you could boogie up a removeable unit to get wofs with if it's a prob....

manuboy
11th October 2004, 20:16
SV's have a pretty monstrous flap on the rear - heaps of fulla's make aftermarket stuff (which has to wrap round or replace the LED taillight). I know SpankMe installed noe (at least i recall him posting on the svforum that he had?). Maybe PM him and he can clear up the legalities for you?

Motu
11th October 2004, 20:19
Yes there are rules and measurements,but if vehicles are complied...when they actualy don't comply - the Honda CRX indicators,and XR Hondas and other dirt bikes just for a couple of examples - then how can such rules be enforced? Oh the woes of a WoF inspector...''how can you fail me when I bought it new like that?'' There are few modern motorcycles that will pass a rigidly applied WoF inspection...better keep quiet eh?...or come to me for your next WoF...heh,heh,heh....

Hitcher
11th October 2004, 20:23
The bikes a nice black Kwaka Z1000.
What model? If it's the latest, then there are some rather smart arse mods that can be had. Carl at Motorad has got a nice custom indicator/plate unit on his that gets rid of all that scrotey black plastic.

manuboy
11th October 2004, 20:46
What model? If it's the latest, then there are some rather smart arse mods that can be had. Carl at Motorad has got a nice custom indicator/plate unit on his that gets rid of all that scrotey black plastic.

Yeah, i guess the black plastic is scrotey.

I'm keen to keep it tho cos Suzuki hang heaps of extra scrotey plastic reflectors off of it which helps when you ride in ChCh, city of the least predictable driving population in NZ...

And the aftermarkets are expensive and most of them make it tough to keep the pack rack attached how it is.....

SPman
11th October 2004, 22:09
Jeez Mark - you both got Z1000's now.

Grumpy
12th October 2004, 06:50
Jeez Mark - you both got Z1000's now.
Yeah. The Mrs was making it a lot more difficult for me to get my hands on her keys so in the interests of marital harmony I thought I best get my own.

Thanks for the advice guys.

vifferman
12th October 2004, 07:18
Got myself a new bike so now starts the usual late night sessions on the web sussing out ideas on modding it.
The first thing that comes to mind is dumping the mudguard as it tends to mess up what is a rather tasty arse end.
My question is... has anyone out there dealt to their mudguards in a similar way and what things need to taken into consideration as far as the WOF goes?
I am aware that I need a white light over the number plate but I have been told that a mudguard is a legal requirement. The bike comes with a hugger. Can this be classed as a mudguard?Congrats on the new ride!
If it's got a hugger, I don't see what the problem is.
I took the FahrtSturm for its first WOF since I bought it, and half expected to get failed for no mudguard (PO cut it off), in which case I was just going to buy a hugger, which is, after all, just a mudguard fitted close to the tyre. However, it passed, much to my amazement, given that the WOFer had previously commented on the mudguard being cut completely off...
In my opinion, you should cut the mudguard off. This is the second bike I've had with a trimmed guard; the VFR had an awfully long mudguard, so I worked out how long it needed to be to fit the reflector, rego and WOF tags and numberplate, "lost" the numberplate and had to buy a newer smaller one, and trimmed it back with a Stanley knife.:niceone: Never had the slightest problem with it, despite going to a fairly bureacratic VINZ agent for WOFs. However, I did get more road spooge sprayed up my back, and the FahrtSturm is even worserer, having no guard at all. :crazy:
Give the wide variety of rear guard shapes, sizes, etc., it beats me how anyone could tell you'd docked the guard, unless they were well acquainted with your model of bike, or you made a very obvious job of it (like cut it off with a coarse-bladed circular saw).