PDA

View Full Version : 3 weeks in January, 2 people want to ride around

Orangebox
28th September 2007, 01:35
Hello Kiwibikers!

This seems like the best place for a first post, so virtual drinks at the virtual bar on my virtual credit card for all!

My girlfriend and I are visiting NZ from January 10th for 3 weeks as the start of a 6 month world explore, and we're in the mood to hire a bike, or bikes for some of that time to have an explore.

We both ride in the UK (I have a TDM9, and she a Bandit6).

So... on with the questions!
We fly into Auckland (and there the plan stops). Where to get hold of a bike/bikes?
Would it be practical to camp/hostel everywhere on the islands?
Is 'only' riding sensible in January?

I'm sure I'll think of more...

:)

Ralph
28th September 2007, 05:59
Hi there, welcome to KB.
January is good for biking in NZ but then anytime is a good time to be out riding.
Here's a link to get you started and they have a pick up in Auckland.

Link thingy (http://www.motorcycle-hire.co.nz/index.html)

As for accomodation there's backpackers or well set up camp grounds in
most places. Have a look here (http://www.aatravel.co.nz/accommodation-newzealand/)

Bren
28th September 2007, 06:59
why fly to auckland? ya should come down to where the BEST M/C country is...here in the south island...forget about the north.....IMHO of corse

clint640
28th September 2007, 09:58
G'day, A search will find you the hire companies. If you want a bike each the cheapest option is probably a couple of XT600s, they're a good rig for getting around NZ. I would book something right now as January is peak time.

I'd plan on spending 1 week in the North Is & 2 in the South. You'll be able to camp or hostel no worries but again, January is busy so it would be a good idea to try & book accomodation, even just a day or 2 ahead will do.

Get the NZ Motorcycle Atlas, published by Hema Maps. It has good maps & all the choice rides highlighted.

Cheers
Clint

Orangebox
28th September 2007, 20:06
Thanks guys, that's an excellent start. I shall do some homework and ask more dumb questions soon.

Why Auckland? - £550GBP flights from the UK, that's why! :D

deanohit
28th September 2007, 20:40
Well, go from Auckland to Coromandel and do the loop around the peninsula, one of the best roads for riding in NZ, will be busy in Jan though. But yea, do something like 1 week in the north and 2 in the south, not as built up and beauty every where you look.

Ralph
28th September 2007, 20:53
why fly to auckland? ya should come down to where the BEST M/C country is...here in the south island...forget about the north.....IMHO of corse

Maybe saving the best for last :yes:

Beemer
5th October 2007, 15:15
Stay one night in Auckland (you'll be shattered after the flight) and then get the hell out of there! Head south and no matter what the date (holidays, etc) you two know there will always be a bed at our place!

Conquiztador
5th October 2007, 17:28
If you come to NZ HB is a must (but then again you would expect me to say that...)

If you guys pass by and need a bed (or two...) then PM.

But it does not matter where in NZ you travel. It is all brilliant.

Grahameeboy
5th October 2007, 17:41
Nothing wrong with Auckland...it's a hamlet compared to London matey.

There are some great rides up north and of course the Coro loop. You could always give a heads up and we could give you a KB welcome ride.

But agree that you should spend more time in the South Island.

Look forward to using your wedge at the rubber duck geezer and enjoying a celebratory gold watch with ya

Mom
5th October 2007, 17:45
Hello Kiwibikers!

This seems like the best place for a first post, so virtual drinks at the virtual bar on my virtual credit card for all!

My girlfriend and I are visiting NZ from January 10th for 3 weeks as the start of a 6 month world explore, and we're in the mood to hire a bike, or bikes for some of that time to have an explore.

We both ride in the UK (I have a TDM9, and she a Bandit6).

So... on with the questions!
We fly into Auckland (and there the plan stops). Where to get hold of a bike/bikes?
Would it be practical to camp/hostel everywhere on the islands?
Is 'only' riding sensible in January?

I'm sure I'll think of more...

:)

January is a challenging month, should be warm and dry, but you are also likely to get rain and wind, sometimes really bad rain and wind up north, having said that we camp at that time of the year and it is loverly, bit cool at night. Leave it to those in the know to direct you to bike rentals etc, but would love to meet you and show you the best camping beach in the world...Welcome to KB!

klingon
5th October 2007, 20:46
One week in the North Island and two in the South sounds about right. A lot of people take their summer holidays in January, so the roads will be quite crowded with caravans etc, but it also means more KiwiBikers available to pass you from hand-to-hand down the length of the country.

[Grammatical note: We always use the definite article when referring to the two main islands by name i.e. "the North Island" and "the South Island." We also talk about being "in" rather than "on" one of the main islands ("I live in the North Island"). Off-shore islands have different grammatical rules. I have no idea why this is the case.]

In addition to the hostel option, have you considered couch surfing? You can either do it through one of the official web sites or consider KB your own personal couch surfing resource!
www.couchsurfing.com
www.globalfreeloaders.com

Swoop
5th October 2007, 20:46
Auckland Motorcycles and Power Sports (AMPS) clicky (http://amps.co.nz) hire bikes and Lou Girardin is a member here (currently not active on the site though).
A good place to start your tour!

Enjoy the place. January is "supposed" to be summertime here.:whistle: (things can change quickly with the weather)

Orangebox
5th October 2007, 21:58
Great responses, thanks guys. It's all very heartwarming. :)
I've been really busy moving house last week, so haven't done any homework.
However, I'm having a 'slow' day at work today, so I'll have a click through some of your links now.

And I have a confession to make, which may amuse some of you:
Seeing as they don't really teach Geography in UK schools, I have an excuse, but I saw an overlay map of NZ on top of the USofA, and hadn't realised quite how big the islands were! NZ is massive! :D

Macktheknife
5th October 2007, 23:10
hadn't realised quite how big the islands were! NZ is massive! :D

Don't be deceived, we are just a few small islands in the middle of nowhere, not very pretty, nothing to see or do here of any great consequence. In fact I dunno why anyone would bother coming here, most of us are leaving for places with better weather and money. Terrible place, please tell everyone you know NZ is horrible, don't waste your time and money.

Unless they ride motorbikes in which case you can tell them the truth, it is the best place on earth for bikers, this is motorcycle heaven. Look forward to meeting you when you get here.

Orangebox
5th October 2007, 23:55
Don't be deceived, we are just a few small islands in the middle of nowhere, not very pretty, nothing to see or do here of any great consequence. In fact I dunno why anyone would bother coming here, most of us are leaving for places with better weather and money. Terrible place, please tell everyone you know NZ is horrible, don't waste your time and money.

Unless they ride motorbikes in which case you can tell them the truth, it is the best place on earth for bikers, this is motorcycle heaven. Look forward to meeting you when you get here.
LOL. I shall endeavour to spread the gospel that NZ is deserved of being written off modern maps from this day forth. ;)

Cheeky
21st October 2007, 07:39
We are going to 'do' the South Island in November and will be back before Xmas. So A good ride from Auckland Via the Coromandel loop To Tauranga would be a good start and we can provide a bed.

Pixie
28th October 2007, 11:16
Great responses, thanks guys. It's all very heartwarming. :)
I've been really busy moving house last week, so haven't done any homework.
However, I'm having a 'slow' day at work today, so I'll have a click through some of your links now.

And I have a confession to make, which may amuse some of you:
Seeing as they don't really teach Geography in UK schools, I have an excuse, but I saw an overlay map of NZ on top of the USofA, and hadn't realised quite how big the islands were! NZ is massive! :D

It was wise to view that overlay,the country is bigger than most foreigners realise.
Given that you will be travelling in peak season, I would suggest a route from Auckland around the Bay of Plenty to East Cape,down the East coast to Wellington, to the South Island, down the West coast as far as you see fit,then back up through the middle of the South Island ( forget the East coast ) and up through Taranaki on the North Island.
Forget Coromandel at that time of year.

PS they only teach PCness and Ebonics in NZ schools

RentaTriumph
1st November 2007, 19:16
Hi Orangebox

I am a member of this forum and hire out new 07 Triumph motorcycles, if you are interested take a look at www.rentatriumph.co.nz

RiderInBlack
1st November 2007, 21:17
Shit at those prices ya might as well buy a suitable bike ta ride here and get someone ta sell it for ya and wire ya the money like Brockhaus did ( http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=16169&postcount=1). He did an impressive 15,000km in NZ.

Delphinus
1st November 2007, 23:21
Sure they might be quite expensive but they look like VERY nice bikes. This year's models, will be in great condition.

Oh and Orangebox - check http://www.yha.co.nz/ for some good hostels. Become a member for discounts too.

RentaTriumph
2nd November 2007, 07:05
Shit at those prices ya might as well buy a suitable bike ta ride here and get someone ta sell it for ya and wire ya the money like Brockhaus did ( http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=16169&postcount=1). He did an impressive 15,000km in NZ.

Well it's the old saying you get what you pay for. There is a big difference in a $4500 high km bike which he was prepared to lose $2K on and a $20K + low km bike. Secondly my bikes are new which makes them very unlikely to break down which gives tourists on a tight time frame peace of mind. I have to agree though if the comfort and peace of mind isn't to much of an issue and the guy was going to do some hard riding for 6 weeks then a buy back option would be very tempting and something I would consider if I were in his shoes. In saying that I would probably buy a 2nd hand low K late model Triumph :-).

RiderInBlack
2nd November 2007, 07:30
Well it's the old saying you get what you pay for.Hmmm let's see:
http://www.rentatriumph.co.nz/rental_rates.htm
vs
http://www.motorcyclesnewzealand.co.nz/rates.asp (http://www.motorcyclesnewzealand.co.nz/rates.asp)

http://www.motorcycle-hire.co.nz/hire.html (http://www.motorcycle-hire.co.nz/hire.html)

http://www.nzbike.com/2004/Category.asp?ParentPageId=7&CategoryId=-1772139756

http://motorcyclerentals.gotournz.com/rates

Yer there is few options out there. At the end of the day it will come down ta where ya want ta ride (Brockhaus rode down metal roads and Ninety Mile Beach, not sure if the rental guys will like that:rolleyes:) and what kind of riding ya want ta do. Ya will be able ta rent a Bandit or TDM9 cheaper. Brockhaus used a TDM which did him well for the varied roads he took. Look on TradeMe - Motor bikes (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/index.htm). Ya might be surprised what ya can find.

RentaTriumph
2nd November 2007, 07:47
I see my bikes fit under the deluxe classifacation in one of the hirers blogs and my 07 Tiger for instance is $40 a day cheaper to rent or $75 a day if taken out on a weekly special. One thing also to consider is "added on costs" for panniers and full insurance etc which bumps the prices up considerably, I have noticed a few hirers where full insurance can cost up to $30 a day extra. My prices are all fixed and cover full insurance and personal liabilty, 24hr breakdown and I even throw in a T-Shirt and a free beer if they respect my bikes :-).
That's about all I need to say now as I don't need to justify things and I don't want to take up more of this forum pushing my barrow.
:Punk:

NinjaNanna
2nd November 2007, 08:31
IF the timing fits this SHOULD BE high on your agenda

Northern Exposure Trip (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=59856)

This ride will be with top people and will take you on the best roads that the North of the North Island has to offer - it will also take you to the very Northern Tip of New Zealand. Of course if you don't like 100's of kms of beautiful sweepers then you probably won't enjoy it.

Hope you guys can make it,

Cheers

NinjaNanna
aka Shane

RiderInBlack
2nd November 2007, 14:26
Shit at those prices ya might as well buy a suitable bike ta ride here and get someone ta sell it for ya and wire ya the money like Brockhaus did ( http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=16169&postcount=1). He did an impressive 15,000km in NZ.Red rep'ed LOLRentaTriumph (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=12928)You need a reality check

Thank mate, I had one:2thumbsup
PS: don't ya think that if ya doing shop stuff on here that ya should post as a business?

Effigy
2nd November 2007, 14:44
You'll love it - these folk have no idea what busy or crowded actually mean, so don't worry. Do avoid State Highway 1, though, it's the nearest thing to Humberside you'll get here.

A few years back I hired a bike from an Auckland company - it was cheap easy and the bike was in fine condition. I'll let you know the name if I can dig it up, but I suspect they all meet the same standard.

Conquiztador
2nd November 2007, 18:38
Red rep'ed LOLRentaTriumph (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=12928)You need a reality check

Thank mate, I had one:2thumbsup
PS: don't ya think that if ya doing shop stuff on here that ya should post as a business?

The guy red rep'ed you for what? Your opinion about his prices? That's the spirit! Tha'll do wonders for the business. You tell someone who tells someone who...

Oooops...I probaly get a red one too... lol:baby:

Orangebox
3rd November 2007, 04:26
Interesting thread. :D

One question:
I can't get travel insurance in the UK that covers me for riding anything bigger than a 125CC with personal accident cover.
I am awaiting confirmation from an insurer, but I read that as meaning that if I crash a bike (hired or otherwise), and damage myself, they won't cover medical costs.

Does anyone know whether hire places in NZ supply insurance that covers any and all accidental injury costs?

Ta. :)

RiderInBlack
3rd November 2007, 07:26

One question:
I can't get travel insurance in the UK that covers me for riding anything bigger than a 125CC with personal accident cover.
I am awaiting confirmation from an insurer, but I read that as meaning that if I crash a bike (hired or otherwise), and damage myself, they won't cover medical costs.

Does anyone know whether hire places in NZ supply insurance that covers any and all accidental injury costs?

Ta. :)Think there is a reciprocal agreement with UK that would see ya covered by ACC (= NHS) so if ya get injured ya should be cover here (can anyone confirm this?).

clint640
5th November 2007, 13:08

One question:

Ta. :)

When I travelled to Europe & hired a bike for a few days I noticed that clause, I just sent the insurers a note detailing my riding experience, & pointing out that the bike I was hiring was pretty much the same as what I ride here & I'd have all my safety gear on, they just put an exception in the policy for no extra charge. Shop around would be my advice.

Cheers
Clint

Donor
5th November 2007, 14:26
Think there is a reciprocal agreement with UK that would see ya covered by ACC (= NHS) so if ya get injured ya should be cover here (can anyone confirm this?).

I know that as far as Ambulance schemes go, we have reciprocal rights, so I would imagine that would extend to ACC... be interested to know, will try and do some digging on this...

:edit: This should help...

From this (http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/indexmh/eligibility-amieligible-accidents)link we read:

"Nearly everyone who is injured in an accident in New Zealand, including overseas visitors and foreign diplomats, is covered for treatment in New Zealand for personal injury caused by accident, regardless of fault.

The Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) is responsible for managing the national personal injury insurance scheme.

If you are injured in an accident, the provider of health services who treats you will help you complete the appropriate form. If you are seriously injured, a case manager will be appointed to help you get the rehabilitation you need within your entitlement.

If you attend an approved health care professional such as a GP for treatment for a personal injury, you may be asked to pay part of the treatment cost yourself.

Limited personal injury coverage is available to New Zealand residents who suffer personal injury through an accident while overseas. You should enquire at the offices of ACC, if this situation applies to you. Telephone 0800 101 996 if you have questions concerning accident-related treatment.

ACC does not cover illness. It only covers injuries that happen in New Zealand and treatment you receive here, including gradual onset injuries if they are caused by employment in New Zealand.

However, you should still take out travel and medical insurance because ACC does not cover everything. For example, it only covers treatment for personal injury in New Zealand, and usually you must pay part of the fee yourself. ACC can't reimburse you for other expenses such as delayed travel or loss of income in your home country."

So if you bin the bike, you'll get fixed.

Of course, paying the insurance excess and getting home, well that's still your problem :)

Beemer
17th January 2008, 11:27
We had the pleasure of Andy and Jodie's company last night and we'd happily have them back at our place tomorrow. Shame they have such a limited time in NZ as we would have loved them to stay longer. They are heading to the South Island today for a few weeks so if you get the chance to catch up with them, DO IT! They are a lovely couple and we wish them all the best for the rest of their six-month overseas trip around the world.

Lteejay
17th January 2008, 22:07
Can confirm, that any visitor no matter where they come from who has an accident in NZ, can recieve free health care in a public hospital. Good old ACC.

NZ and the UK also have a reciprocal healthcare agreement, which allows UK citizens to receive free healthcare in a public hospital for other medical problems e.g non-accidents. Vice versa for Kiwis visiting the UK also.