PDA

View Full Version : Touring on a 250?

uNople
29th September 2007, 10:46
Hey guys, I own a GSX-R250R (1989).

Last Saturday, my old man, a mate and I went for basically a thousand K ride. From CHCH > Ashvegas > geraldine > fairley > Lake tekapo > twizel > omarama > through the lindis valley, past cromwell, through alexandra and through the pig route past ranfurly, to palmerston, then back up SH1 to chch.

I had no issues at all keeping up, even when we were nailing it from the lindis valley onward as we realised we wouldn't get home before midnight otherwise. I was less sore than the others as well, because my bike's pretty much 100kg lighter than theirs, so I needed to do less work through corners. Surprisingly, I wasn't sore afterwards (should I be?).

so apart from constant fuel stops (10 in total for this trip, counting my top-up in chch when we left) would there be any issues touring on this bike?

James Deuce
29th September 2007, 11:31
so apart from constant fuel stops (10 in total for this trip, counting my top-up in chch when we left) would there be any issues touring on this bike?

No dramas at all. I bought one new in 1989 and subsequently toured the North Island more than once in 12 months of trouble free ownership. Get some decent soft luggage and Bob's your uncle.

uNople
29th September 2007, 11:43
No dramas at all. I bought one new in 1989 and subsequently toured the North Island more than once in 12 months of trouble free ownership. Get some decent soft luggage and Bob's your uncle.

Awesome. For some reason, the people I told about my trip thought I was mad doing it on a 250. dunno why ;)

sunhuntin
29th September 2007, 12:09
Awesome. For some reason, the people I told about my trip thought I was mad doing it on a 250. dunno why ;)

if the bike is mechanically sound, theres no reason why ANY cc bike cant do a long tour. ive taken my 250 from wanganui to invercargill and back, and will be going again later this year. aside from a mechanical failure that cant be repaired roadside [tyre blowout, etc] theres nothing stopping you!

as suggested, get some luggage and a couple of bungy cords/cargo net. will make life easier than a backpack.

uNople
29th September 2007, 12:12
if the bike is mechanically sound, theres no reason why ANY cc bike cant do a long tour. ive taken my 250 from wanganui to invercargill and back, and will be going again later this year. aside from a mechanical failure that cant be repaired roadside [tyre blowout, etc] theres nothing stopping you!

as suggested, get some luggage and a couple of bungy cords/cargo net. will make life easier than a backpack.

Yeah, I got a cargo net the other day. It makes it a shitload easier to cart round pillion gear (for some reason helmets don't like being bungie cord tied).

My dad has saddle bags that go over the back which he said I could borrow if I was nice, so I'll probably steal those sometime :innocent:

The Lone Rider
29th September 2007, 23:49
I like using a large hiking/backpackers back pack as it has stomach and chest straps that hold it to you well, and they fit heaps and you can strap things to them. This weekend I had cloths for two people plus toiletries in the backpack, two sleeping bags strapped to the middle back of the backpack, food in the saddlebags, and tent bungied onto the rear rack.

the people I told about my trip thought I was mad doing it on a 250
Thats because some people think you are mad if you don't rev hard and go fast. :eek5:

FkNAmerican
30th September 2007, 02:36
My first bike (technically) was a Ninja 250 (Ex250 to you) and I toured the hell out of that thing!!! Overall I loved it but I did have a few small issues.

problem I had, being in America, was the highways with the relatively high speed limits (70 mph or 120.7 kph). The reality is that most people are going at LEAST 75 mph on those roads and many are doing 80. Thats a bit much for a 250cc engine. I did worry about the need to acclerate to get out of trouble if I needed to at those speeds as the 250 had nothing in it above 80 really.

The second problem I had was just due to my body type. Im a bit tall for the bike which made it a little cramped after several hours riding. Overall, it was still more comfortable over a long distance then my old CBR600RR hehe.

The third problem I had was the relative lack of wind protection from the front screen and fairing. Its a small bike after all. 80 mph wind coming at you can cause some fatigue after several hours! You can crouch down a bit to get out of most of it but you can never really escape it in the ninja 250.

Forth problem was the weight. The bike is so light that it gets easily blown around in heavy crosswinds and at high speeds. Its not the most stable thing in the world and going 80mph in a high crosswind with hugh "18 wheelers" (as we call them here in the States b/c of the # of wheels they have duh) doing 90 all around you is a little disconcerting :)

Note that these problems all stem from having to do long high speed runs in the bike.....something the 250cc is not actually designed to do well anyway. It doesnt have the power or gearing for it after all. So......in NZ you should be able to avoid most of these issues anyway since you dont have nearly the number of high speed roads as we have in the US.

Now for the good stuff:

My Ninja 250 got an average of 65 miles per gallon when I owned her. That beats the hell out of my car.

The seat on the 250 is very comfortable and supportive.

I had 100% reliability over thousands of miles.

Around town and up in the mountains the bikes agility and light weight made it really fun.

Below 60 mph the power and acceleration wasnt so bad. It can actually feel kinda fast at those speeds hehe.

Now here is the kicker: Because of the light weight, comfort, ease of use, reliability, fuel economy, and low maintainace I rode the hell out of my Ninja 250. To put this in persepctive: I put more miles in one month on my Ninja 250 then some of my friends put on thier Harleys and GSXR's in a year!!!! Why? Because the Gixxers only came out to play on weekends for quick blasts through the twisties and the Harleys only came out on holidays for the one big road trip accross the state. My Ninja 250 did it all. The daily commute, daily blasts through the twisties, and trips up to the moutains or to the beach every weekend.

So I say be happy on that little 250 of yours. Im sure you'll be riding it a hella lot more then your friends ride thier bigger and better bikes. Just my two cents!

Bonez
30th September 2007, 06:17
Yeah, I got a cargo net the other day. It makes it a shitload easier to cart round pillion gear (for some reason helmets don't like being bungie cord tied).

My dad has saddle bags that go over the back which he said I could borrow if I was nice, so I'll probably steal those sometime :innocent:uNople you're setting a fine examble for other two fiddy owners. Good on ya. Look fwd to more of ya posts.

MSTRS
30th September 2007, 09:47
So......in NZ you should be able to avoid most of these issues anyway since you dont have nearly the number of high speed roads as we have in the US.

Read that as 'In NZ there are no high-speed roads'
There is more fun to be had in the twisties anyway, most of which are 100kph just like the 'major' highways.
As far as touring is concerned...if touring is what spins your wheels, a 250 is just fine until you can get on a big bike.

HRT
30th September 2007, 15:38
Go for it, went to Chch and back to Dunedin on my CBR250 and it was great (ignoring the weather). The more on your back the more you'll feel it afterwards though

hospitalfood
30th September 2007, 16:06
used to do wellington to auckland and back on a 250 in weekends a lot. all good. now I don't think I would unless I had to. good work on the 250 but I think you should get on a bigger bike when you can.

Dave-
30th September 2007, 22:44
i plan on doing a tad of touring on an rs250

of course its a racing bike with lights.

good idea?

Superdd
30th September 2007, 22:48
For anyone touring, a recent 250 seems to be as good as a bigger bike on our roads - and by the way I'm the "old man" the young whippersnapper who started the post referred to :laugh: - his 250 performed like a champion running with a Marauder 800 and FJ1200, though I did feel sorry for his rear looking at the slip of cardboard he calls a seat...:bleh:

MyGSXF
30th September 2007, 23:08
GO for it grasshopper!!!! :2thumbsup

Years ago.. (like 1991 :whistle:) I did a huge trip by myself, over a week, on my old 82 gsx250.. from Motueka down as far as Dunedin & back up again, tickey touring on the way! had a blast & the bike never missed a beat!!! :Punk:

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ride:

Jen :rockon:

here's a pic of her at my first Brass :2thumbsup

Renegade
1st October 2007, 12:03
i did wellington to napier and then on to tauranga on my hyo, it went like a dream but i wished i had a pack rack or somthing similar afterward.

koba
1st October 2007, 14:16

People think of GN speed when you say 250, the gixxer is a wee bit more capable on open roads...

Kinje
1st October 2007, 15:33
Awesome trip mate. The wee 250's get along just fine on the big trips. I did a few big trips on mine no worries.

Get some decent soft luggage and Bob's your uncle.

I'd recommend some soft luggage too. I've used a tankbag on my 250 and had throw over panniers with my 600. Hardly knew the panniers were there and got off the bike feeling fresh and not sore or tired.

I like using a large hiking/backpackers back pack as it has stomach and chest straps that hold it to you well, and they fit heaps and you can strap things to them.

I'm not so sure about the pack now after using panniers. Used to ride with a pack that had stomach and chest straps but have seen the light. Even with the pack fitting close, after a 500km day on the 250 with the pack I was very sore, and stopped two or three times in the last 150km.

Enjoy the rides

The Lone Rider
1st October 2007, 16:15
I'm not so sure about the pack now after using panniers. Used to ride with a pack that had stomach and chest straps but have seen the light. Even with the pack fitting close, after a 500km day on the 250 with the pack I was very sore, and stopped two or three times in the last 150km.

Enjoy the rides

Yea, might be a bit different on a sports bike as the weight is more on your lower back. Mine sits flat to the pillion seat and just rests there nicely. The straps of course keep it from leaning all over the place!

Zapf
2nd October 2007, 00:41
ive taken my 250 from wanganui to invercargill and back, and will be going again later this year. aside from a mechanical failure that cant be repaired roadside [tyre blowout, etc] theres nothing stopping you!

when are u doing that?

scrubs
2nd October 2007, 08:33
I circumnavigated Cambodia on an XR250 which was a very wise choice for me,
I would choose the same again at the drop of a hat, that thing was like a tank.
Infact, there is some Chinese woman doing a RTW right now on a 250 - it's more than possible.

When I left Cambodia I headed for Vietnam, where I bought myself a 125cc Minsk (they have a maximum restriction of 150cc) and again, that thing did me absolutley fine.
I'll take simple small and light any day.

Meekey_Mouse
3rd October 2007, 15:18
Small bikes are cool... but I can't wait to get onto something a bit bigger.

In saying that, I did over 7,000 kms on my GSX250 in less then 3 months. About the same on my ZXR 250 and have done over 1,500 road kms on my RG150... which is a race bike that I take on the road.

i plan on doing a tad of touring on an rs250

of course its a racing bike with lights.

good idea?

Up to you whether you want to put the kms onto the bike... which will mean that changing the piston and all that will come sooner. The other slightly frustrating thing about touring on 2strokes is taking the oil with you... it always manages to leak every where lol.
Oh, and if you're touring with a backpack... kickstarting can be a bit difficult with a backpack on :whistle:
But by all means... go for it :rockon:

Cache Wraith
3rd October 2007, 19:35
Did Auckland Wellington Auckland on my Hyosung just before xmas last. No problems. Loved the Desert Road.

uNople
3rd October 2007, 20:37
Awesome, thanks for the advice guys :)

I'll definitely be using the soft pannier bags (if the old man lets me!) when touring. I'll just have to be careful when it comes to fuel. On our long ride, I pretty much stopped whenever we got to a town, as I haven't run the gixxer dry yet, so I don't know how many Ks I can get on reserve.

I've been going on about 150K/tank if I'm thrashing it and 200K/tank if I'm not. So that's not much range, but it is nice around corners.

When I get my full, I reckon a gsxr600 would be nice - it would be good to actually be able to accelerate properly going up hills (and passing people), but let's face it, corners are the reason why we all ride :)

sunhuntin
3rd October 2007, 22:39
when are u doing that?

end of november... for the burt challenge. 14 days of nothing but my bike and the open road.

uNople, 200k is about what i get from a tank on the vee-go. little trick: re set the tripmeter every time you fill [if you dont already] course, vee-go trip meter has no knob, so ive gotta read the damn signs and hope like hell i get there, lol. sure meant my poor maths got a work out, thats for sure!

Zapf
4th October 2007, 00:17
end of november... for the burt challenge. 14 days of nothing but my bike and the open road.

uNople, 200k is about what i get from a tank on the vee-go. little trick: re set the tripmeter every time you fill [if you dont already] course, vee-go trip meter has no knob, so ive gotta read the damn signs and hope like hell i get there, lol. sure meant my poor maths got a work out, thats for sure!

ah ic. I am looking at doing the Chatto creek 1000 miler and also fit a tour of the mainland in as well. I think the Burt is like 24th Nov?

Taz
4th October 2007, 05:18
The only problem I can see is the 10 fuel stops in 1000kms. Have you only got a 100km range?
I rode my first bike from Auck to Dargaville and back 5 times. It was a Honda C50. You can tour on anything.
Andy.

uNople
4th October 2007, 22:39
The only problem I can see is the 10 fuel stops in 1000kms. Have you only got a 100km range?
I rode my first bike from Auck to Dargaville and back 5 times. It was a Honda C50. You can tour on anything.
Andy.

Nah man, I was just being conservative for filling up. I didn't want to get stuck in the backwaters with only my reserve left, and not knowing how far it was to the next petrol station.

My range is around 200K if I'm being nice, and 160 if I'm not (and 130 round town). I'm not sure how many litres my tank is, on the specs page it says 16L, but I don't think I have that much capacity. I'm thinking it's only a 12L tank, 10 main, 2 reserve.

Lucy
5th October 2007, 03:30
Nah man, I was just being conservative for filling up. I didn't want to get stuck in the backwaters with only my reserve left, and not knowing how far it was to the next petrol station.

My range is around 200K if I'm being nice, and 160 if I'm not (and 130 round town). I'm not sure how many litres my tank is, on the specs page it says 16L, but I don't think I have that much capacity. I'm thinking it's only a 12L tank, 10 main, 2 reserve.

I had to push my GN when I figured the reserve should last at least 60k and ran out after 40k...

but yeah, you can tour on anything. I toured on a push bike once. More recently I rode my GN from Auckland to Raetihi overnight, in pouring rain, in winter, with panniers and other stuff on the pillion seat.

Driving from Auckland just the other day, we were in a car, and got overtaken on the hill heading UP to the Bombays, by a a guy on a GN and we were going 110. He was crouched down against the headwind, and had luggage.

Grub
5th October 2007, 04:47
would there be any issues touring on this bike?

Looks like you've answered your own question :) What a trip ... I'm jealous

Grub
5th October 2007, 04:53
by the way I'm the "old man" the young whippersnapper who started the post referred to :

Hey welcome to KB!! Your creds are good already. Anyone who does trips like that belongs :)

Jizah
16th October 2007, 10:07
From the 1st to 7th of October I did just under 2,500km on my GT250. No problems with bike at all. I only stopped for fuel but when I did it was a relief because my knees were killing me.

sunhuntin
18th October 2007, 21:52
arent those bikes cruisers? might be the peg reach is too short for you. i know my knees go funny after a couple of hours, so i tend to hang my ankles over the pegs and also push myself back in the saddle, just to get a bit of extra room.

No FX
23rd October 2007, 23:57
iv been from christchurch to the west coast and back 8 or 9 times (just got back from grey street races this afternoon-- great weekend!!!) on the cibby since iv had it and its been sweet.
i have my main bag stapped to the pillion and a very small bag on my back for easy reach items like phone, wallet, woolen undergloves etc. and i tend to get 200k's/tank travelling at a fair clip.

the only issue i really have with being on a 250 is the canterbury plains-80ish k's of dead striaght boring road where at 110kph the CBR is doing 10,000rpm in 6th gear- it just feels bad for my baby:eek5:

Pickle
30th October 2007, 19:38
Small bikes are fun to tour on especially if you can talk a few others to ride with you, same speed, range etc.
Ive done Cold Kiwi on CB100 twice complete with all camping gear, group of us took up 12 x 9 tent all on 100's so anything is possible.
Try a group of CT110's to Gisborne & back, also took CT on Coast to coast - top speed of 85/90kmh.
We have KLR250's single cylinder trail bike & have ridden them all over the Nth Island thru Molesworth / Rainbow / Portage, took them to Tauranga via Gisborne, The Motu & return via Waikeremoana.
I dont know why more people dont just get out there ride their 250's or smaller bikes & enjoy the country YOU dont need to have a big bike to enjoy the ride.

homer
30th October 2007, 20:18
Hey guys, I own a GSX-R250R (1989).

Last Saturday, my old man, a mate and I went for basically a thousand K ride. From CHCH > Ashvegas > geraldine > fairley > Lake tekapo > twizel > omarama > through the lindis valley, past cromwell, through alexandra and through the pig route past ranfurly, to palmerston, then back up SH1 to chch.

I had no issues at all keeping up, even when we were nailing it from the lindis valley onward as we realised we wouldn't get home before midnight otherwise. I was less sore than the others as well, because my bike's pretty much 100kg lighter than theirs, so I needed to do less work through corners. Surprisingly, I wasn't sore afterwards (should I be?).

I would suggest ferquent oil changes
and your bike should just keep going i had a 250 trail and i clocked up 30000km in less than 2 years it did slighlty burn oil when i got it and i changed oil every 2000 k , then getting the top end rebuilt completely it should have gone to 100000 easily but due to writing it off it only made about 63000 64000 from memory
oil changes are the key to any motor
i just changed the oil in my 1200 it had about 3300 km since last done
62 $ for 4 litres ....is it expensive
i say not
a rear tyre 350 360
oils cheap repair are expensive

swbarnett
31st October 2007, 11:46
I'm planning a week off in January. Friday night down to Hamilton where my wife will be staying for a while (finishing off her PhD) and then who knows. All on a GN with a tent on the back with box and soft panniers.

I've had it down to Hamilton once before and it cruised at the speed limit quite nicely.

Usarka
31st October 2007, 12:15

Probably owners of "big" bikes who have got soft in their old age ;)

avgas
31st October 2007, 12:25
i used to go everywhere on an RG150, i only had saddlebags, tankbag n backpack.
the more you keep stuff off your back the longer you can go for.

Slicksta
31st October 2007, 16:57
Went from Hamilton to Tamranui and back 2 up on my Lead 100 80kph most of the way.Was alot of fun other than the fact that i had an x Gf on the back at the time who was bitching..

MarkyMark
31st October 2007, 23:55
Next week I am heading from Dunedin to Auckland with as much luggage as I can strap on to my SR250. Here goes nothing...

@mmie
8th November 2007, 18:53
Man Dunedin to Auckland, dat a heck of a treck!! I bin ridin a VL250 for bout 3mths and looking forward to doing a few longer trips through the summer. I'm totally keen to do a trip around the south island, it others are keen we should totally try and organise a tour party.

@mmie
8th November 2007, 18:54
**if other are keen...

NighthawkNZ
8th November 2007, 19:11
Next week I am heading from Dunedin to Auckland with as much luggage as I can strap on to my SR250. Here goes nothing...

ferk thats a long haul... heaps of stops and stretches etc... have fun...

however, I still don't see any reason why not either... :D

sunhuntin
15th November 2007, 13:06
ferk thats a long haul... heaps of stops and stretches etc... have fun...

however, I still don't see any reason why not either... :D

agreed! and he wont be riding the whole way... the ferry will do all the work for 3 hours at least! LOL. hella good trip... id be keen to do it, but dont like auckland and wouldnt be keen to ride there

UberRhys
15th November 2007, 13:11

That is a big haul, I found that journey bad enough in the cage when I used to be at Otago. The best way to do it we found was in 2 stints, Akl - Wgtn, sleep then Picton - Dunedin with a gas stop in Timaru or so...

Would be good practice for the Grand Challenge or the Southern Cross runs though...

McDuck
15th November 2007, 21:26
Well after doing whakatane to welli for the CC ride i have lernt a few things that i can tell you. Fit a bigger sprocket to the back, about 5-8 teeth bigger, trust me it helps. Dont push your self. If you feal crap after 50kms stop and rest. By the end of the trip you will be doing 200kms between stops. Get a list of KBers in the area, it is a lot better when you see a stom cloud ahed and hail on the die of the road knowing that there is a warm KB house in 80kms (BIG BIG BIG thanks to mstrs and family) and most of all

CHECK YOUR CHAIN AND SPROCKETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

I will give more tips when i think of them Oh and it is fun getting off a 250 not the lest bit sore when others that have ridden half the distance on big bikes are in proper pain and walking funny :)

sunhuntin
16th November 2007, 09:36
Well after doing whakatane to welli for the CC ride i have lernt a few things that i can tell you. Fit a bigger sprocket to the back, about 5-8 teeth bigger, trust me it helps. Dont push your self. If you feal crap after 50kms stop and rest. By the end of the trip you will be doing 200kms between stops. Get a list of KBers in the area, it is a lot better when you see a stom cloud ahed and hail on the die of the road knowing that there is a warm KB house in 80kms (BIG BIG BIG thanks to mstrs and family) and most of all

CHECK YOUR CHAIN AND SPROCKETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

I will give more tips when i think of them Oh and it is fun getting off a 250 not the lest bit sore when others that have ridden half the distance on big bikes are in proper pain and walking funny :)

or... get some one who knows what the hell they are doing to check your bike over...
and, in my own defense, the busa has a higher peg position than im used too, lol. plus the fact im not used to pillioning. i think youd be walking funny too! LOL.

McDuck
16th November 2007, 20:30
or... get some one who knows what the hell they are doing to check your bike over...
and, in my own defense, the busa has a higher peg position than im used too, lol. plus the fact im not used to pillioning. i think youd be walking funny too! LOL.

Lol prob. would yep :)

MarkyMark
21st November 2007, 13:55
Well I arrived a while ago, haven't been on the computer much though. 4 Days, stayed nights in chch, welly, and Waitomo, Distances weren't too bad, and my distance goals were so modest I could take it nice and easy and take sightseeing stops on the way, plus taking all the fun bikey back roads. No real mechanical troubles except for the speedo cable falling out, and I'm now changing the oil, cleaning the brake cables, shining everything chrome, and whatever else I can think of to thank the bike for not giving me any trouble. I'm definitely ready to move up to something that can go 110 without holding the throttle to the stops though.

GazzaRuney
24th January 2008, 03:18
MANY years ago I did a 3 week tour of the South Island - on a CB100 !!!!!
Ive toured the S/I many more times since then on my GL1500 - and I think I saw more from the 100 than I ever have on the Wing

The poor wee thing maxed out at 70 k's but damn did I see the country! Gas mileage was unreal and the seat was really comfy. Shockers were bluddie awful but that didnt matter at that speed.

Dosent matter what CC the bike has - enjoy the view !!!!

Chad
11th February 2008, 22:54
I reakon no problem touring on a two fiddy either. It wasn't the longest ride, but I did Picton to Nelson lakes via QC and then Nelson lakes back to Picton on my CBR250 and it was no worries. Had nice big tramping style pack full of gear, but with straps ans suppourts in all the right places so wasn't a burden either.

And even though the Nelson lakes to picton leg was only bout 2 and half hours, it was in monsoon rain, like the heaviest stuff I'd seen for a long time, and with open face helmet... rain stings like a b***h passing at 130ish. But just crank up the iPod and sing/scream all the way home :headbang:

and riding up to auckland in bout two weeks and don't expect any issues except for sore bum from hard seat

Chad
27th February 2008, 16:48
Well, just got back and can confirm after 750 odd km yesterday that yes, my bum is pretty sore. Great weather for riding though, couldn't have picked it better for doin the North Island.

Only real problem was what seemed to be bike getting a bit of altitude sickness on the desert road. Thats the only thing I can think that it would be. On the way up and back, as soon as I hit the plateau, I just lost soo much power, I thought I was gunna crap out in the middle of nowhere. It was cold, but usually my bike loves the colder air, and as soon as I hit Waiouru again, power back on... Anyone else experienced anything like this? Or got any ideas what it could be?

And watch out for new seal between Welly and about Tirau I think. I rode up on Sunday, and they must have gone nuts monday and tues cos there was fresh loose chip everywhere!!

uNople
10th March 2008, 05:21
Well, I'm loving touring. Unfortunately all my rides are getting smaller and smaller.

But...

Me, me old man and our mate stu are going to Nelson this upcoming weekend to see one of our mates. then going out of nelson and cruising round some roads he wants to introduce us to. should be good.

Went to kaikoura the other weekend. It was great. I now have a 1990 Bandit 250 - the difference in the rear shocks from the gsxr is phenomenal - it's so harsh compared to it. Runs better though... :-P

Dave-
10th March 2008, 07:21
Only real problem was what seemed to be bike getting a bit of altitude sickness on the desert road. Thats the only thing I can think that it would be. On the way up and back, as soon as I hit the plateau, I just lost soo much power, I thought I was gunna crap out in the middle of nowhere. It was cold, but usually my bike loves the colder air, and as soon as I hit Waiouru again, power back on... Anyone else experienced anything like this? Or got any ideas what it could be?

less oxygen at higher altitude? need to rejet the carbies let more oxygen in?

but at such an altitude?

Chad
15th March 2008, 16:16
yea, thats what I was thinkin, but its not that much higher than Waiorou or Turangi on the other side, and the loss of power was phenominal. Its really got me stumped becuase I rode all the way from Auckland to Wellington that day, and the Desert road was the only stretch that it happened...