PDA

View Full Version : Bought a New Jacket.

wari
28th October 2002, 01:15
I SHoulda aksed this before ... butt ...
I just boughta new jacket ... MY leather one was buggerrd ... SO I bought a text-tile one from MOtoMAil on spesh $150 off , it wassa tossup fora leather one for the same price .

MY question is this ... which is better ... leather or text-tile?

Kiwibiker
29th October 2002, 04:21
Depends on what u want to do
Leather is good when the weather is warm and sunny and you are not along way from home ie over a days ride. Leather will survive a spill better than textile.
Textile is good for all weathers as u can normally zip out the lining when hot, never leaks in the rain and dries fast. I prefer it for touring ie trips of over a week. I have had a Swift Hurricane Jacket for the last 4 years done around 90,000 miles in it and it is still going strong, never been wet yet, although it is looking a bit rough
:D

SPman
29th October 2002, 06:24
Ive got both
Ultimate protection - Leather, but its stinking hot in summer and a bastard if it gets wet, although light showers seem OK
Textile is better for general use - it seems to breathe easier and you can wear more clothes under - better for going to work etc and is more waterproof. (not totally - for that, all Ive found that works is mountain climbing gear)
Leather has better abrasion resistance (Ive tried both - but thats another story)

Nukles
29th October 2002, 15:30
textile gear is very good now. i have crashed with some a few years back and it is very good. i have a Furygan lightweight jacket for summer and a Clover Nitro for winter.

but still leather gets the best of me any time. i also have a Dainese Eagle leather jacket and an Alpinestars P1 race suit.

the only thing i would say about safety gear is to stay with renouned brands. it's just safer that way. i speak of experience.

remember, it's not IF you fall... but WHEN you fall the it matters. :D

like someone said yesterday: "you never really lived until you have highsided it :) "

StoneChucker
13th October 2004, 22:36
The jacket I mean, how has it worked out for you? :lol:
I have found, since reading this post, that Wari at SOME stage, used to be a normal bloke. My best guess as to what happened, is he ate some lamb which was infected with BSE, and has now gone completely mad, assimilating the traits of the animal which infected him :doh:

I hear goat is alot safer to eat, so I can't explain GoatFood, yet...

Columbo, out

White trash
14th October 2004, 06:46
Depends on what you wanna do with your jacket.

if you wanna crash repeatedly, a la Trash, leather is far superior. I also find the wife looks somewhat spunkier in leather than textile.

If you want to stay dry when it's pissing down, textile's the way to go.

As for the protection thing, a major sponsor of "The Peoples Hero" tossed his Gixxer 1K away at 200kph + heading into Higgins at Manfield. Wearing Belstaff textile jacket and trou', not a scratch. I was amazed.

The jacket and pants were fucked but he was in the shop on monday buying exactly the same stuff.

MD
15th October 2004, 18:05
I SHoulda aksed this before ... butt ...
I just boughta new jacket ... MY leather one was buggerrd ... SO I bought a text-tile one from MOtoMAil on spesh $150 off , it wassa tossup fora leather one for the same price .

MY question is this ... which is better ... leather or text-tile?

Wari, what's wrong with your wool covering, soft and bouncy in a spill and all that lanoline to keep you dry? What are ya, a sheep in cows clothing.

wari
15th October 2004, 18:47
Wari, what's wrong with your wool covering, soft and bouncy in a spill and all that lanoline to keep you dry? What are ya, a sheep in cows clothing.

I SHeare myself tri-weekly ...

I GOt my eye onyou mate ... ==>:moon:

Midnight 82
15th October 2004, 19:08
:wacko: Yep I just brought 2 wet weather force suits, orsome brand new they cost $450 for 2. Got them for $160.00 for both end of winter sale. WOW wicked shit.... P.S Wari worries me about the sheep thing-e dude????