PDA

View Full Version : How does a ticket affect your riding?

kinger
29th September 2007, 13:40
I got pulled today for 132, my first ticket, and am curious to see if my behaviour after was normal.
I'd gone round the west side of the Lake, down past Whakapapa, through 'Kune, and just got on to the desert road. My speed varied from 100ish when I tied in with another bike, to a bit more than I was pulled for when on my own.
After the pull and ticket, I sat at or about 110 all the way up the Desert Road, and possibly touched 120 between Turangi and Taupo.
Now, without lectures please, does a ticket affect your riding, and if so, for how long?

oldrider
29th September 2007, 13:51
I got pulled today for 132, my first ticket, and am curious to see if my behaviour after was normal.
I'd gone round the west side of the Lake, down past Whakapapa, through 'Kune, and just got on to the desert road. My speed varied from 100ish when I tied in with another bike, to a bit more than I was pulled for when on my own.
After the pull and ticket, I sat at or about 110 all the way up the Desert Road, and possibly touched 120 between Turangi and Taupo.
Now, without lectures please, does a ticket affect your riding, and if so, for how long?

You tied in with another bike, who was in front?

How did you get pulled up? John.

Goblin
29th September 2007, 13:56
All I can say is I wont be doing over 100k/h on the open road for another 2 years!:argh:

The Stranger
29th September 2007, 14:01

Yes, slows me down on the main highways, encourages me take back roads and purchase a radar detector.

I then tend ride faster to compensate for the more circuitous route and due to the improved odds with the radar detector.

oldrider
29th September 2007, 14:02
All I can say is I wont be doing over 100k/h on the open road for another 2 years!:argh:

The point I was getting at is did both of you stop?

When one car gets pulled over for speeding, they don't expect all the other cars in line to stop too, why do it for bikes?

Especially as you had only just tied in with him on the road. John.

dogsnbikes
29th September 2007, 14:07
I got one in may when out with the ashurst boys was only affected while the ticket was being written out all I could think of was shit(145kph) I will be walking from now

so was greatful when the ticket issued and the cop told me what speed he is happy for bikes too travel(120) so he only did me for the difference ...........that cop deserves a bling for sure

NinjaNanna
29th September 2007, 14:22
Shame you couldn't talk him down 3kms - I pulled this from an official website last year - so that I could make an informed decision on risk versus reward.

For me I really think hard and try to pick my spots when I go beyond the 25kms over barrier - and then only on the back roads

Regarding your question on affecting your riding - I think that comes down to maturity, some on this site learn their lesson (about picking the time and place) others don't. :girlfight:

I suspect you will learn, after all speeding on SH1 during the ski season and during school holidays is begging to be ticketed.:spanking: :Pokey:

Offence Infringement fee $
Any speeding offence, where the speed exceeds the speed limit by -

Not more than 10 kilometres an hour $30 + 10p

More than 10 kilometres an hour but not more than 15 kilometres an hour $80 + 20p
More than 15 kilometres an hour but not more than 20 kilometres an hour $120 +20p
More than 20 kilometres an hour but not more than 25 kilometres an hour $170 + 35p
More than 25 kilometres an hour but not more than 30 kilometres an hour $230 + 35p
More than 30 kilometres an hour but not more than 35 kilometres an hour $300 + 40p
More than 35 kilometres an hour but not more than 40 kilometres an hour $400 +50p
More than 40 kilometres an hour but not more than 45 kilometres an hour $510 +50p
More than 45 kilometres an hour but not more than 50 kilometres an hour $630 +50p

kinger
29th September 2007, 17:09

Sorry, I wasn't very clear about it. I was actually stating that I slowed down to ride with him.
I met the guy when I came up from behind heading South on SH32, stayed behind him til Turangi, and when he also indicated to head down to the mountains on SH47, I opened up to power up the hill, and we waved a mutual see ya.
He was on a burgundy STX I believe, but couldn't swear to it.
This all means I was on me own when I left Waiuru, and i think I was clocked when I powered up to overtake, so yes, probably called a little bit of attention to myself (Laser race pipes:ar15:.)
The school holidays bit I didn't think about, but a nice weekend day like this morning will bring a few bikes out I suppose.
Unfortunately the fine means tomorrow's Ulysses run will not be attended by me....hey ho.

Mom
29th September 2007, 17:18

They used the trusty lassoo trick Mr Silly, the rope to tie with and the lassoo was used to stop him!

Bummer about the ticket mate, shit happens sometimes. I used to travel everywhere at a quick rate of knots, got one big ticket and saw the light so to speak! Cant afford to lose my license and certainly cant afford the fines, now I pootle along and damn the ribbing!

oldrider
29th September 2007, 20:35
They used the trusty lassoo trick Mr Silly, the rope to tie with and the lassoo was used to stop him! shit happens sometimes.

Forgive me fair lady.

I was getting very technically inclined regarding kinger's infringement notice.

So much so, that I even confused myself!

I should threaten to :spanking: you for that but:

Your new avatar suggests, you must be a miss piggy of great experience and lustfull technique. :love:

I therefore bow before you as your humble admirer and grovel at your trotters! Your servant, Mr Silly.(as charged)

Toaster
29th September 2007, 20:51
Dunno about getting tickets, but the fear of wasting my hard earned cash on fines just for a speed thrill is enough to keep me under 111km/h... on my driveway at least!

Apparently research indicated that seeing a marked patrol car impacted on a drivers behaviour for (on average) 10-15 minutes after seeing that car. The argument was for patrols to position themselves prior to common crash zones in order to (hopefully) slow people down and also highten their awareness as they then drove through the area.

That is why (when I was in that line of work) they made you sit for up to 4 hours a shift in such zones - damn boring though.

Grahameeboy
29th September 2007, 20:59
Well after 25 clewan years I spent about $800 over 3 tickets and got a 3 monther last year.

I am a lot more cautious on open roads but you know what, $800 over 27 years works out at $30 odd a year so where can you get better entertainment for that kinda dosh I say.................

puddytat
29th September 2007, 21:06
I got pinged doin' 141 on the way to the Nelson street races a few years back @ a little after 8am on the beautiful fast curves near Glenhope. Had hooked up with a bloke on a Ducati shortly after Murchison & as I know the road, I took the lead & we nailed it....anyway,we'd been going alot faster most of the way but I knew we were near the end of the twistie bits & a coupla k's further on is a favourite hidey hole of the fuzz so was starting to back off when just as we came out of the last bend....pinged by a mufti mofo:Oops: Anyway, as I was leading I waved Ducati dude on as he was pullin up too, & off he went .Mr Plod was not happy 'bout that!! Said that they were gonna bust his ass too,as there Radar reckoned he,d been doin 157!! Bollocks to that cause He'd been happy behind me, & no way was he accelerating to pass as he wasnt close enough anyway.....They also wanted to check his wof etc.
Anyway , the nice Mr Fuzzwit gave me a ticket for 137. Yup I slowed down & now I only fang it when there are enough curves so that theres a good chance they cant "lock" on & then they'd have to be damn good to catch me. Ive also got a radar now to increase my chances of having a good ride on roads I know & love @ speeds that are above the limit, safely. Watch out for "G.I Jane" if your in the Murchison area,she's a hard nut, pulled me up while I was doin 37kmh in a 50k area,supposedly for a wof/rego check.....territorial pissin more like it:yes:

jafar
29th September 2007, 21:19
That is why (when I was in that line of work) they made you sit for up to 4 hours a shift in such zones - damn boring though.

Strange how those zones are always close to the donut shop :laugh:

Saw 2 cop cars off highway 16 today , both parked up a side street out of sight.
They would have been far more use as a deterrent out patrolling than sitting amongst the trees with no one in them :spanking:

Toaster
29th September 2007, 21:42
Strange how those zones are always close to the donut shop :laugh:

Saw 2 cop cars off highway 16 today , both parked up a side street out of sight.
They would have been far more use as a deterrent out patrolling than sitting amongst the trees with no one in them :spanking:

Yeah, I know the ones. I agree.

Coldrider
29th September 2007, 23:12
Exiting north of Murch a few years ago heading home from the Brass I saw a
L300 Van that had been on it's roof. Driver looked like Mr Plod with his jersey pulled inside out (to hide the emblems).
Get home & in the news Mr plod had rolled a speed camera wagon in Murch.
Read a few months later guilty as charged.
Shit can happen to anyone, as it does.
132 Ks is getting up there by todays standards, in the above fine/points matrix you are now walking at 40kph over the posted limit, including roadworks & passing school buses.

Goblin
29th September 2007, 23:29
The point I was getting at is did both of you stop?

When one car gets pulled over for speeding, they don't expect all the other cars in line to stop too, why do it for bikes?

Especially as you had only just tied in with him on the road. John.Well I was done for 90 in a 70 while bumbling along at 5k in 4th gear...ok my speedo was broken so I didnt know how fast or slow i was actually going. I asked the cop how fast I was going and he said 90. I asked if he could show me so he did and his gadget siad 90. I asked how can I be sure that was me and not the last person he pulled over? He said " Oh you can trust me.":Police: Few days later me and a mate did a speedo test with both bikes and it was 80km/h at 5k in 4th gear!
So I pay another $120 and 20 more demerits thankyouverymuchly!

Puddlejumper
30th September 2007, 00:27
I can relate to that slow you down for 15 mins after seeing a marked car. It makes you think about the ticket... but then the enjoyment of riding takes over.

On an off topic note, you say
i think I was clocked when I powered up to overtake, s.
why do cops give you tickets for speeding when you are overtaking? If I am behind a car doing crap all in the corners and about 95 on the straights then I will pass. How dangerous would it be to pass at 100?
Surely the least time you spend on the other side of the road, the safer? And most litre plus sports bikes can reach your clocked speed easily when overtaking.

Brian d marge
30th September 2007, 01:22
The last speeding ticket I got , in 2003 was for 60 in a 40 km Hasn't really changed my riding at all

Just come back from four days on the beach , spent most of the time driving in a most relaxed way ,110 ... 135 km on the free way , all others doing the same , lovely road craft from others ...even the police sat at 110..120.....

No stress at all

Stephen

peasea
30th September 2007, 08:32
The last ticket I got on a long ride was heading to Wellington and I got plucked in the forest just south of Tokoroa. I'd been a good boy all the way and rolled over the crest of a hill, on light throttle and just ran the speed up a bit going down the other side. I wouldn't have been exceeding 110kph for more than about ten seconds and bam! The cop was an arrogant tosser, talking about bikers always speeding on 'his patch'. (Whose patch?) So I got pissed off and rode at 140-150 all the way to Taupo and felt much better afterward.

For the most part it makes no difference to my riding or my pace, I don't care about the money or the demerits, never have, never will. In fact the one negative aspect is that people spend too much time watching the dial instead of the road.

Raise the speed limit I say. 110kph isn't dangerous on the open road, being paranoid is.

erik
30th September 2007, 09:26
Only ticket I've ever got was for 139 in a 100 zone. Me and a mate were doing the same speed and the cop said one person can own up or he'll give us both a ticket, so I took the demerits and we split the fine.
Since then I'm a lot more paranoid about cops and tend to keep my speed within 10k's of the limit.
I don't really find high speeds that fun anyway, I enjoy roads that are twisty enough to have fun close to the speed limit.

kiwifruit
30th September 2007, 09:29
Once got caught doing 125km/h in a 100km/h zone. What a wake up call that was!
Now i NEVER exceed 100km/h. :nono:

Beemer
30th September 2007, 09:39
I haven't had a ticket for seven years (sheer luck!) but lately I have become a bit paranoid about being pulled up as I really can't afford the fine so I tend to stick to about 110 when on the open road. If the road is clear I may go a bit faster but if there are any other vehicles around, I slow in case there is a mufti cop amongst them.

My bike doesn't go that fast anyway, so at least if I did get a ticket it would not see me walking, but I just hate giving any money to the government so I try and avoid the possibility of being ticketed!

Monsterbishi
30th September 2007, 09:40
After 15 years of riding, ticket free too, now that I work in traffic management, so have to setup the signage and maintain accident sites, the only time I push the limits are at the track.

Sounds unbelieveable to most, but after a week on the job, it becomes quite easy to sit 1kph over the limit with cruise control on and happily let everyone else drive past you in the next lane.

NZsarge
30th September 2007, 09:49
Well I was done for 90 in a 70 while bumbling along at 5k in 4th gear...ok my speedo was broken so I didnt know how fast or slow i was actually going. I asked the cop how fast I was going and he said 90. I asked if he could show me so he did and his gadget siad 90. I asked how can I be sure that was me and not the last person he pulled over? He said " Oh you can trust me.":Police: Few days later me and a mate did a speedo test with both bikes and it was 80km/h at 5k in 4th gear!
So I pay another $120 and 20 more demerits thankyouverymuchly!

Yes there is quite the discussion going on in New Zealand Autocar letters to the editor (MPH) about Traffic Police using "historical readings" on their radars to book people with.:spanking::Police:

Goblin
30th September 2007, 10:05
Yes there is quite the discussion going on in New Zealand Autocar letters to the editor (MPH) about Traffic Police using "historical readings" on their radars to book people with.:spanking::Police:Yeah there was a thread on here a while back too and someone said it would be easy and cheap enough to have a time displayed on their gadgets. You'd think the cops would be all for it but then they wouldn't get away with gathering revenue and filling their quotas from innocent people. It would go a long way toward restoring the public's trust in cops if they did. But as we all know...cops never lie.:nono:

The Lone Rider
30th September 2007, 10:12
Ticket Ive gotten sorta got my ass in gear to rework my exhaust system to be quieter, but I already had that in mind to do soon.

tri boy
30th September 2007, 10:59
never seen a rozza on the gravel roads while riding the Scrambler, closed circuit pipes, doin what I like, FA traffic.:woohoo:
But I'm a bit more cautious on the Daytona, (ride like a nanna, but exceed the pathetic 100kph limit too easily). Peasea's correct. Lift the limit to 110, but Nail the dangerous (140-+), speeders.
Bwaahp..bwaaph, ping ,ting clonk. (Scrambler on gravel, stones bouncing off bash plate:Punk:).

DMNTD
30th September 2007, 12:01

I ended up selling my "tweaked" sports bike after being pinged at ridiculously high speed but ticketed for 139kmph by an awesome Policeman. He was completely blown away as he'd never seen such a high reading on his radar thingy.
He truly was excellent...pointed out how stupid it was riding at those speeds but was "real" enough to take into account that I'm not a n00b trying to enlarge my bits.

This was enough of a wake up call for me to realise that I didn't have the self control required to ride a sports bike at legal speeds on the road so I've bought a nekkid bike instead which has helped somewhat.

Corners...that's where it's at! :niceone:

Brian d marge
30th September 2007, 13:27
[quote=peasea;1l. In fact the one negative aspect is that people spend too much time watching the dial instead of the road.

Raise the speed limit I say. 110kph isn't dangerous on the open road, being paranoid is.[/quote]

That s a very valid point .. How the ell you can sit at 100 on a big sports bike is beyong me ,,, with out having engine management , or keep looking at the dial

Stephen

By the way ,,,NZ has been arguing over revenue collecting , for how many years ,,and still they do it

the French , ( you remember the French crap at rugby , good at making white flags that stand up to the rigors of a surrender ) well put their gasoline up by a few sheckels and they are in the streets spitting the dummy ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

karmakillernz
30th September 2007, 13:45
In fact the one negative aspect is that people spend too much time watching the dial instead of the road.
That is exactly what I have always thought. Ever since I got a ticket (63 in a 50 area) it has caused me to constantly check the speedo every couple seconds or so in case there's a cop just around the corner.

It takes time to switch focus from the road to the speedo, confirm your speed or adjust as needed, then refocus on the road and it's surroundings. Do this every couple of seconds and you're spending much less time on riding safely and much more time on trying to keep to some arbitrary limit.

I reckon I was much safer at 63kph than I am trying to stay under 50kph all the time. :oi-grr:

mbazza
30th September 2007, 15:18
Keeping near the speed limit feeds the paranoid part of my brain! Cheers.

rphenix
3rd October 2007, 21:51
I always ride presuming someone is out to ticket me and earlier this week was literally 50-100meters from my letterbox as I came around the last blind corner so did a cop from the other way I wasn't even doing 50 at the time due to the heavy as rain I was taking it "easy" (already damp) the wife was straight behind me soon as I seen the cop I was like yep here we go, noticed the break lights going hard on (he was already cruising so he didn't need to break for the corner) so I wound it up, screamed up the driveway and parked in the shed, wife did the same and said she seen the cop start to attempt to turn around lucky its a nice narrow bit of road and we came across him early in the corner so he had mostly gone around it thus we were gone before he had managed that u-turn.

What annoys me we weren't doing anything wrong hell if it wasn't pissing down I might have been tempted to let him pull me over, If i was in our car and had gone around the corner at 60k probably would have been a non event!

Some police are fantastic however just depends on the person one policeman I was following behind once on a new bit of chip seal wound his window down pointed out some loose gravel thought that was pretty cool even though I had it all sorted :)

As for a ticket might slow me down a bit that day and cripple me financially that month but lets be real it wont stop anyone driving differently for long its about as effective as "morality classes"

cowboyz
3rd October 2007, 22:17
last year I got booked coming out of oakune doing 59km in a 50 past the bridge as you are heading out of town on the south side. I was fucking pissed off even though it was a $30 fine. Then a couple of months later I am back up there and find they have changed the speed limit to 70k on that road. Blah

Anyway. I sat on 90 points for 2 years and got away with it. Didnt really effect my riding but had a few moments when seeing a cop from a distance. I usually sit between 120-140km unless I get a spidey sense to slow down.

Coldrider
3rd October 2007, 22:34
I have been pinged once for alleged speeding, cost me $120 back in 1995.
Whoop whoop, big deal.

canarlee
3rd October 2007, 23:12
well after i got "pinged" almost 2 weeks ago (117 in a 100 zone), i can honestly say, no it hasent changed my riding at all.

cynna
3rd October 2007, 23:36
i learnt my lesson when i lost my licence 6 or 7 yeras ago for too many speeding demerit points

have only had one fine since and that was in my new car by a speed camera

now i am more cautious when and where i speed

discotex
4th October 2007, 10:51
I usually sit between 120-140km unless I get a spidey sense to slow down.

My spidey sense has stood me well in the 14 years I've been driving (and the 8 months I've been riding). Not one speeding ticket (touch wood).

9/10 times I get the feeling I should slow down a cop comes around the next bend and I'm already back under 110 or 60 etc.

I guess if I routinely travelled 30km/h over the limit it wouldn't help which is why I don't. +10km/h is enough 99% of the time. I mostly save the speed for controlled bursts. That said the bike does seem to encourage me to speed...

vifferman
4th October 2007, 10:56
My first ticket in over 30 years was also for 132, and like you it slowed me down a bit. My most recent one was 73 in a 50km/h zone, and to be frank, it was a wake-up call for me. Even though I was speeding because I was over an hour late for work, it made me realise I was becoming careless. I'm definitely more careful now, as I don't want to lose my licence or risk higher insurance fees. Plus now that I'm a certified killer, it's a lot more effort keeping my gear clean with all that blood on it.:(

peasea
4th October 2007, 12:40
I always ride presuming someone is out to ticket me and earlier this week was literally 50-100meters from my letterbox as I came around the last blind corner so did a cop from the other way I wasn't even doing 50 at the time due to the heavy as rain I was taking it "easy" (already damp) the wife was straight behind me soon as I seen the cop I was like yep here we go, noticed the break lights going hard on (he was already cruising so he didn't need to break for the corner) so I wound it up, screamed up the driveway and parked in the shed, wife did the same and said she seen the cop start to attempt to turn around lucky its a nice narrow bit of road and we came across him early in the corner so he had mostly gone around it thus we were gone before he had managed that u-turn.

What annoys me we weren't doing anything wrong hell if it wasn't pissing down I might have been tempted to let him pull me over, If i was in our car and had gone around the corner at 60k probably would have been a non event!

Some police are fantastic however just depends on the person one policeman I was following behind once on a new bit of chip seal wound his window down pointed out some loose gravel thought that was pretty cool even though I had it all sorted :)

As for a ticket might slow me down a bit that day and cripple me financially that month but lets be real it wont stop anyone driving differently for long its about as effective as "morality classes"

Hiding from the law eh? Tut, tut.

Back in 1981 I had a reasonably quick Pontiac and got stopped in Wellington with a full complement of drunk passengers, I was ok to drive, strangely enough. Anyways... the newbie cop couldn't decide what she was going to when she thought that I was disqualified (which, at 1am that day I actually wasn't any more, I'd got it back at midnight). While she was farting about I leapt back in the car, nailed it, did some silly mph down Island Bay Parade and swung into the drive so hard I lost both right-hand wheel trims. Turned in behind the house and a few moments later the cop car zapped past.

The next day I rang to get my license mailed back to me and they reckoned they wanted to 'talk' to me; I declined and the license arrived in the mail at my previous address about a week later, no charges, nothing.

SPman
4th October 2007, 13:46

Some Police actually take their jobs seriously - ie - road safety in all it's forms and are reasonably conversant with all vehicle types and how they can be affected by conditions, etc.

For others, it's just chalking up "contacts" on their time sheets, the easiest and quickest way they can - a requirement foisted on most of them by the vagaries of police funding and the requirements of their bosses to show "results", to their lords and masters!

This was enough of a wake up call for me to realise that I didn't have the self control required to ride a sports bike at legal speeds on the road so I've bought a nekkid bike instead which has helped somewhat.
and this has slowed you down that much??????????

My last ticket south of Taumaranui - the "dangerous" 117 kph in the middle of nowhere, I think I was back up to speed about 5 miles down the road - just even more wary.....

peasea
4th October 2007, 14:36
My last ticket south of Taumaranui - the "dangerous" 117 kph in the middle of nowhere, I think I was back up to speed about 5 miles down the road - just even more wary.....

And not as focussed on the road, perhaps?

kinger
4th October 2007, 16:38
I'm glad this has raised debate on both sides of the argument.:girlfight:
I just hope NZ doesn't go the way of UK where speeding is now seen as a bigger crime than drink driving.
I was zapped on a UK motorway at 86mph, the limit's 70. Fair enough, I'm over the limit, but on a dead straight 6 lane highway with literally no other traffic a mile in front or behind me.
And as a pointer, I personally feel that at slightly quicker speeds, I am aware of the hazards, and my road awareness gets conciously heightened as opposed to the mental switch off of ticking along.

Goblin
4th October 2007, 16:44
And as a pointer, I personally feel that at slightly quicker speeds, I am aware of the hazards, and my road awareness gets conciously heightened as opposed to the mental switch off of ticking along.Same here! Try telling a cop that tho.:spanking:

cowboyz
4th October 2007, 17:07
That said the bike does seem to encourage me to speed...

You should try it on a bike 3 times bigger on a clear sunday afternoon and seeing a sign that says "twisty road next 10km" Bloody near impossible to stay under the speed limit.

BMW
4th October 2007, 17:16
Yeah, I know the ones. I agree.

what is it with them around SH16!!! There are more other places to get more tickets from like Hobby road where all travel to fast down!

Coldrider
5th October 2007, 08:12
I'm glad this has raised debate on both sides of the argument.:girlfight:
I just hope NZ doesn't go the way of UK where speeding is now seen as a bigger crime than drink driving.
I was zapped on a UK motorway at 86mph, the limit's 70.
Yes but the UK has a realistic threshold to start with. Is there any tolerance on the 70 mph?

scumdog
5th October 2007, 08:28
Yes there is quite the discussion going on in New Zealand Autocar letters to the editor (MPH) about Traffic Police using "historical readings" on their radars to book people with.:spanking::Police:

The easy way around that claim is to do what I do - show them the speed on the last ticket for both vehicles.

Pretty damn rare the police vehicle and speeder would be doing the same speeds twice in a row.

(Of course it's a bit harder to do if the police vehicle is stationery:shutup:)

scumdog
5th October 2007, 08:34
now i am more cautious when and where i speed

Now ain't that a mouthful!

A cunning person could speed in places they are least likely to get pinged.

Bozos speed repetitavely in area where they are likely to get pinged.

Not that I condone speeding, oh no sir!:crazy:

kinger
5th October 2007, 17:10
Yes but the UK has a realistic threshold to start with. Is there any tolerance on the 70 mph?

The unofficial line, I think, is that you'll get 3mph plus 10%, so you be okay for 80 on a motorway, but that genuinely depends on various factors. However, those limits won't apply in towns, near schools, sensible stuff really.
I've previously gone past a queue of cars sitting behind a rolling roadblock (police car sat at 67) doing about 95. The police tend to be quite sensible, and being in full armoured riding gear, bits like lifesavers etc lets you do stuff that a paddock jacket and jeans would get you pulled for.
Alternatively, dark visors, race cans and small number plates get under other officers collars, and would get you fined and pointed.
It can be a bit of a lottery really.

MaxB
11th October 2007, 23:30
The unofficial line, I think, is that you'll get 3mph plus 10%, so you be okay for 80 on a motorway, but that genuinely depends on various factors. However, those limits won't apply in towns, near schools, sensible stuff really.
I've previously gone past a queue of cars sitting behind a rolling roadblock (police car sat at 67) doing about 95. The police tend to be quite sensible, and being in full armoured riding gear, bits like lifesavers etc lets you do stuff that a paddock jacket and jeans would get you pulled for.
Alternatively, dark visors, race cans and small number plates get under other officers collars, and would get you fined and pointed.
It can be a bit of a lottery really.

Just saw a UK cop show on TV2 where they had a speeding cager doing near 160 kmh on the motorway for over 20 minutes. He got 3 points (need 12 for a ban) and a few hundred bucks fine and did NOT lose his licence even though he had previous points.

Another guy on a Bandit killed his girlfriend while stoned and over the alcohol limit. He was charged with dangerous driving causing death and got 61/2 years in jail.

One thing I did not agree with was a laser van ticketing 100s of road users just over the limit but at least it was plainly marked and there was a road sign as well.

Compare and contrast to our crappy system where speeding is up there with home invasion and arson and ask yourself who has the safest roads?

zelto
12th October 2007, 01:23
driving around europe/uk for 9 months last year (van), most are doing 120ks - 130ks on the motorways -as thats the limit-and you feel safe driving alongside them, they drive well.I felt more comfortable there, than on our roads with drivers at 100ks.They arent treated like children (europeans), they learn to handle speed and as a result , very few frustrations, no-one driving at 70ks on open road without using the slow lane/shoulder etc..
6 months ago a friend from austria came to nz, i was driving her (car) south from ch/ch on sh1, fine day little traffic i was doing 110ks, she looked at me and said," why are you driving so slowly (sexy)".The reason so many of us have trouble staying at under 100ks, is because that speed is counter intuitive, and bloody stupid!!

uNople
12th October 2007, 01:53
What I tend to do is:

In town I go traffic speed plus a bit (or if it's really congested, traffic speed)
On the open roads, I go 110+ (depending on traffic). I try to keep my speed less than 30Km/h over the speed limit, but it really depends on the conditions.

In the wet, I'll do the speed limit or traffic speed, whichever I feel is safer. Doing the speed limit while traffic speed is 10K/h over the limit is dangerous. Hence, traffic speed plus a bit for most of the time.

So far, I've only gotten one speeding ticket on my bike. It was about 2 weeks after I got it (when I was still riding stupidly), so I was continually thrashing the shit out of the bike, and doing ridiculous speeds round town. The speed camera only pinged me for 11K/h over the speed limit, but since I was stupidly riding, it could have easily been... a lot more over than just 11K/h. That made me realise that town is not a good place to speed, which made me slow down a shitload (to what I said in the prevous two paragraphs).

I agree with other comments in the thread about the open road speed limit being raised, but I think a better option would be to have proper driver training to handle speeds (and the corresponding hazards) in excess of 130K/h, and *then* raising the speed limit to 110 or 120. That way, people can actually handle the speed before the new speed limit is implemented.

discotex
12th October 2007, 08:16
I agree with other comments in the thread about the open road speed limit being raised, but I think a better option would be to have proper driver training to handle speeds (and the corresponding hazards) in excess of 130K/h, and *then* raising the speed limit to 110 or 120. That way, people can actually handle the speed before the new speed limit is implemented.

I'm all for a higher speed limit as 100km/h is painfully slow on many of our roads.

I'm not sure I'd like to raise the open road limit as so many drivers couldn't handle it unless we signposted every corner in the country. Road condition and hazards such as farming etc also make it harder to raise the limit in NZ.

The best idea I could think of would be to create a 110/120km/h limit bracket and apply it to motorways, expressways and much of the state highway system. Basically on a case by case basis raise the speed limit on roads that are safe enough for your average idiot to handle. Doing that with 60km/h around cities would be good too.

I like your idea of driver training but it'd take 30-50 years for everyone to die and be replaced with new learners that have gone through the new system. We're in the middle of that now with most drivers over 25 having never done a full licence test and most over 50 probably drove/rode around the block to get their full. While new drivers are taught pretty well now they quickly learn bad habits off the other 90% of drivers.

I guess you could fix that by re-testing every driver in real world traffic every 10 years (probably not a bad idea anyway).