PDA

View Full Version : Moving to the UK

Jonty
29th September 2007, 13:55
Hi all

My partner and I will be packing up and moving to the UK in February. I am going to sell the CBR later in the year and pick up a new bike in London after I arrive. At this stage I am keen to do a bit of touring so given I have always wanted a busa it might be what i get. Given I am going to live in central london, does anyone know if it possible to rent storage sheds for bikes as I imagine finding any form of garaging is going to be very hard. Also, who would be good suzuki dealer ship in London.

Cheers

Deviant Esq
29th September 2007, 18:06
Hey mate. When are you thinking about selling the CBR? I could be interested in it; I'll be getting my full soon and like the look of the F3.

Cheers

vfxdog
29th September 2007, 19:49
Hi Jonty- I have an office in Central London and that's actually where I keep my bike. Options are limited really- bike theft is rife and there are no central storage facilities freely available. The best bet would be one of the many NCP car parks- they take bikes for a reduced fee and there's reasonable security with surveillance. You could possibly get a long term deal although I am not too sure if they do them for bikes- they do for cars. Dealers are much of a muchness now there- Infinity have a few central dealerships and are Suzuki agents. As an aside the weather is usually shite and speed cameras are absolutely everywhere, so riding is not as much fun as it used to be. I commuted for 25 years to Central London on a bike but I'm not sure I'd do it now. However the good bit is within easy reach- the Continent, especially France. Pretty much all Europeans (I'm not specifically including the Brits here) love bikes and will make you very welcome.

canarlee
29th September 2007, 23:50
go upto scotland!

google for scottish motorcycle forums, there are quite a few. or look at www.motorcyclenews.com register and make a thread in general foum, its free like here. i guarantee you will get a good response with the majority being very good. ask for pics too!

be warned though, there isnt the same heavy moderation as there is on here so threads WILL go off topic. we just dont get trolls lol

boomer
30th September 2007, 00:01
go upto scotland!

google for scottish motorcycle forums, there are quite a few. or look at www.motorcyclenews.com (http://www.motorcyclenews.com) register and make a thread in general foum, its free like here. i guarantee you will get a good response with the majority being very good. ask for pics too!

be warned though, there isnt the same heavy moderation as there is on here so threads WILL go off topic. we just dont get trolls lol

You reckon he could find a bike park in Scotland and fly down to central London.. not a bad commute i 'spose....:crazy:

canarlee
30th September 2007, 00:16
You reckon he could find a bike park in Scotland and fly down to central London.. not a bad commute i 'spose....:crazy:

i know of quite a few that do that, the fly down to london on the monday morning (dont forget that the flight is shorter than it takes to travel all the way across auckland) and fly back up to scotland on the friday evenings in time for tea.

and they aint rich either, they earn london money and pay scottish prices. ok they work hard but look at what is on their doorstep, awesome roads and awesome scenery. a bit like here really lol

Jonty
30th September 2007, 09:53
Thanks guys.

Well I guess that is what I expected. I also will have an office in central london so I will try my best to get a park there. Yeah, I am probably not going to ride it much in London itself, i am more keen to get on the big highways of Europe:headbang:

Deviant, I have a couple of guys chasing it already, but if they can't stump up with the cash on time (which is typical of these guys:no:) I will flick you a PM. If this is going to be you first big bike you are making a god choice. This was mine after a ZXR 250 and it has served me very well.

J

Deviant Esq
30th September 2007, 11:36
Deviant, I have a couple of guys chasing it already, but if they can't stump up with the cash on time (which is typical of these guys:no:) I will flick you a PM. If this is going to be you first big bike you are making a god choice.
Cool, cheers J. I know the guy who owned it before you did... and he reckoned it would be a good bike to consider, hence my enquiry. Price dependant I've already got enough cash squirreled away... just the timing thing I need to consider. When are you heading away?

Anyway, let me know what you decide to do. Cheers :niceone:

Jonty
30th September 2007, 12:30
Cool, cheers J. I know the guy who owned it before you did... and he reckoned it would be a good bike to consider, hence my enquiry. Price dependant I've already got enough cash squirreled away... just the timing thing I need to consider. When are you heading away?

Anyway, let me know what you decide to do. Cheers :niceone:

Yeah it was Kendog's bike. I am heading off in February but I will probably sell it in December as i need to start getting money in the door before I leave. I will keep you in mind and get in touch if it frees up.

J

Orangebox
6th October 2007, 01:30
If you aren't going to ride in London, I'd suggest looking at a remote garage - somewhere outside London, where garage prices and insurance will be a lot less.
Insuring a Busa, in central London, with no no-claims (unless they recognise foreign policies) is going to really, really hurt.

Alternatively: You can, I BELIEVE, store motorbikes in secure storage areas like
Big Yellow Storage
Safestore
Access Storage
Shurgard
Although, I'm not sure about the costs...

HTH a bit. :)

Deviant Esq
6th October 2007, 08:39
Insuring a Busa, in central London, with no no-claims (unless they recognise foreign policies) is going to really, really hurt.
That's a good point. He'll want to take proof of insurance here in New Zealand, showing how long he's been insured for and what on - just ring the insurance company and ask to be sent proof of insurance, they should know what you mean. It may or may not work, but it's only a few bits of paper and no extra effort to carry. Worth a shot! :)

Jonty
9th October 2007, 10:57
That's a good point. He'll want to take proof of insurance here in New Zealand, showing how long he's been insured for and what on - just ring the insurance company and ask to be sent proof of insurance, they should know what you mean. It may or may not work, but it's only a few bits of paper and no extra effort to carry. Worth a shot! :)

Thanks guys - yeah i know it will hurt but the job I am going to should mean it won't be as hard on the pocket as it could be. It may end up being too hard and I will just give up on it, but I need to keep the dream alive :niceone:

Deviant Esq
9th October 2007, 11:31
Thanks guys - yeah i know it will hurt but the job I am going to should mean it won't be as hard on the pocket as it could be. It may end up being too hard and I will just give up on it, but I need to keep the dream alive :niceone:
Good on ya mate. Been there before? It's definitely worthwhile, cool place to visit and live, though returning to New Zealand is good too. So yeah, make the most of your time over there... especially with the first £5000 being tax free!

Sanx
9th October 2007, 12:59
Good on ya mate. Been there before? It's definitely worthwhile, cool place to visit and live, though returning to New Zealand is good too.

London's a stinking filthy over-crowded shithole of a place and I wouldn't live there again if you paid me.

Deviant Esq
9th October 2007, 13:10
London's a stinking filthy over-crowded shithole of a place and I wouldn't live there again if you paid me.
Come on Sanx, don't hold back, tell us what you really think ;)
I was talking more about England in general - I've never lived there before, only visited, and that was right in the middle of winter... but even then it was pretty cool.

Jonty
9th October 2007, 13:19

:calm: everyone has his price - they just managed to find mine:2thumbsup

Alpha Solo
30th October 2007, 20:07
You need a moped / motard in London, not a busa. The traffic is extremely congested and you cant weave through it on a sports bike. I rode there for 5 years so I know it only too well...

Secure parking is in your house front room or office reception, I've seen bikes lifted off posts, chains cut off and put into van's in broad daylight. Nobody will blink let alone help if there is a crime going on.

Why is every other person you meet here a pom? Cause the UK sucks - Tell me I'm wrong after you try it!

UK

Deviant Esq
30th October 2007, 20:14
:calm: everyone has his price - they just managed to find mine:2thumbsup
That would be why. Personally I enjoyed my time in the UK... but was happy to be home again too.

Still set up to sell your CBR, Jonty? Still got a purchaser? :)

mattsdakar
31st October 2007, 14:24
Hi Jonty,
I lived in London for 4 years and motorcycle couriered in London for 2years, it's the only way to get around the city, faster than tubing,central London is actually smaller than you think. I scouted out a garage in the street I lived in and approached the owner asking if I could rent some space to store the bike, he was more than happy. Otherwise park on the footpath and lock bike to something like iron fence etc. I also used a bike cover people tend to take less notice when they can't see whats hidden away.
Enjoy the European roads, try getting to the Alps in summer zig zag zig zag zig...you get the idea..think tour de france.
As for the bike, try the London equivalent of buy sell and exchange available at all tube stations
Good luck

chris
31st October 2007, 14:32
Take a phone box. Place seven homeless people inside. Fill with empty Macdonald's wrappers and general rubbish. Piss in each corner and take a dump in the middle. You now have a scale model of London.

Jonty
31st October 2007, 14:44
That would be why. Personally I enjoyed my time in the UK... but was happy to be home again too.

Still set up to sell your CBR, Jonty? Still got a purchaser? :)

Yeah, he is still hangin in there drooling in my garage every weekend. I am being mean holding out on him but it will do him good :msn-wink:

Jonty
31st October 2007, 14:45
Hi Jonty,
I lived in London for 4 years and motorcycle couriered in London for 2years, it's the only way to get around the city, faster than tubing,central London is actually smaller than you think. I scouted out a garage in the street I lived in and approached the owner asking if I could rent some space to store the bike, he was more than happy. Otherwise park on the footpath and lock bike to something like iron fence etc. I also used a bike cover people tend to take less notice when they can't see whats hidden away.
Enjoy the European roads, try getting to the Alps in summer zig zag zig zag zig...you get the idea..think tour de france.
As for the bike, try the London equivalent of buy sell and exchange available at all tube stations
Good luck

Thanks I will check it out. The alps will be cool

Jonty
31st October 2007, 14:46
Take a phone box. Place seven homeless people inside. Fill with empty Macdonald's wrappers and general rubbish. Piss in each corner and take a dump in the middle. You now have a scale model of London.

It's gonna be a bastard to keep the machine clean then aint it :yes:

martybabe
17th November 2007, 21:19
It's gonna be a bastard to keep the machine clean then aint it :yes:don't wana rain on your parade mate you should try the old country but.......bikers are treated like shit in england,bike theft rates are astronomical and no one gives a toss,Its over crowded,dirty,crime ridden,expensive and polluted,the weathers crap and yarda yarda yarda.Not a fan of the french but over there your treated like a person that happens to ride a bike as opposed to a shit for brains criminal thug.Gota p.h.d ?don't matter your still Biker scum.Try it get it out your system then come home n be happy,good luck.:mad:

Griff
19th November 2007, 08:24
I also used a bike cover people tend to take less notice when they can't see whats hidden away.

Absolutely a must!!
Buy a shitty Green Canvas Cover with locking rings so you can cable-lock it to your bike. Don't buy covers with cool graphics on them as they will just advertise the fact that you must have a cool bike underneath.
Park next to nice bikes:
A. They will treat their bikes with care and yours will not get scratched/dropped etc.
B. If a bike is going to get nicked, then they will go for the nice shiny one next to you.
C. Get an alarm, preferably one that texts you.

I used to commute to London from Oxford for 5 years on a bike, riding down M40 & Hangar Lane. You will be amazed at how narrow a gap you can get through!! Also you will not get nicked for filtering, although there are shit loads of speed cameras.

Get there early in the morning and there are loads of free parking spaces, then grab a coffee and a croisant before work.

I'm sure you have a fantastic time!!

MisterD
19th November 2007, 14:00
...and one more thing.

Black cabs are not looking at the road, they're looking for their next fare and they will U-turn in front of you without any warning.

scracha
25th November 2007, 14:49
and they aint rich either, they earn london money and pay scottish prices. ok they work hard but look at what is on their doorstep, awesome roads and awesome scenery. a bit like here really lol

And there's another myth I have to dispel. London wages are rarely much higher (if at all) than many other areas of the UK but the cost of living means you're normally on a lower wage. Have you seen the wages they're paying in Edinburgh [*1] lately? Come to think of it, have you seen the cost of living too? You get sick of sitting waiting on FlyBE or EasyJet on Friday evenings and getting up at 4am on a Monday morning to catch a flight VERY quickly.

If you must work in London I'd take a look at Hertfordshire (not exactly cheap either), Bedfordshire or at a push Peterburgh and just take the train in the morning. You really don't wanna be riding motorcycles in London...it ain't fun unless you're a local. Aside from the traffic there are immeasurable numbers of speed cameras (and yes, they snap rear plates...and no...british cops don't @#4ck about with little speed fines or take kindly to hidden number plates).

Foreign rider + London postcode + >600cc bike = amazingly high insurance.

[*1] Financial sector there is huge

YellowDog
10th December 2007, 19:11
London isn't so bad for riding. Daytime parking in the city is fine. There are motorcycle bays everywhere. There were free when I last used them. It's the night time parking you need to be careful.

Unlike NZ, second hand bikes are very cheap. If you are buying new, you will pay more than in NZ.

Good luck.