PDA

View Full Version : what is better for stunting 600cc or 400cc

2strokegirl
1st October 2007, 09:37
a group of mates and i wer looking into getting a bike purely for teaching ourselves how to do stunt type things.. wheelys endos riding over the handlebars etc etc we're tossing up between a 400 and 600.

ZeroIndex
1st October 2007, 10:03
best rated (value for money) bike for stunting would be an 01'ish Honda CBR600F4i... the fuel injection stops the bike from spluttering and dying on stoppies/wheelies etc...

Have a look at www.stuntlife.com for some good info...

scracha
1st October 2007, 11:36
Wet sump + long wheelies = ???

ZeroIndex
1st October 2007, 16:11
Wet sump + long wheelies = ???
On www.stuntlife.com they talk about fairly straightforward modifications that change the oil pickup to the back of the sump, so oil is always there, or you could just overfill it by a quart...

scracha
2nd October 2007, 14:09
On www.stuntlife.com they talk about fairly straightforward modifications that change the oil pickup to the back of the sump, so oil is always there, or you could just overfill it by a quart...

Ho ho...everyone in my garage at last VMCC round could tell you a story about that....

Just be easier getting a bike with a dry sump no?

Drew
2nd October 2007, 14:18
Ho ho...everyone in my garage at last VMCC round could tell you a story about that....

Just be easier getting a bike with a dry sump no?

No.

Not that many inline fours have dry sumps.

600 is the way to go by the way, but I tend to just use what I've got.

xwhatsit
2nd October 2007, 14:40
Get a 250-500cc trail bike. Wheelies on demand!! Massive front suspension travel. Power slides :devil2:

ZeroIndex
2nd October 2007, 16:08
Get a 250-500cc trail bike. Wheelies on demand!! Massive front suspension travel. Power slides :devil2:

I still want to just get hold of a little 250cc 2stroke trials bike... those things are virtually indestructible and would be great for all kinds of stunts...

Kevmo7
8th October 2007, 20:55
get a CBR600F4i or a CBR600RR and be done with it!!!

sAsLEX
9th October 2007, 02:56
I still want to just get hold of a little 250cc 2stroke trials bike... those things are virtually indestructible and would be great for all kinds of stunts...

Little harder learning balance point, slow wheelie balance etc on something with a torque peak rather than flat torque curve would it not?

ZeroIndex
9th October 2007, 03:13
Little harder learning balance point, slow wheelie balance etc on something with a torque peak rather than flat torque curve would it not?
I think there I'd have to disagree... I had my FZR all stunted up (54 tooth rear sprocket), but as soon as power delivery came (after the front would come up), I'd get nervous and set it down... the only time I didn't set it down, it set itself down on its side and then slid down the road with me still sitting on it... that was the last time the bike worked...
Although, yes... most stunters seem to prefer rev-hungry inline4's as stunt-toys, but the likes of Christian Pfieffer (Ducati Monster, a bunch of trials bikes, and the BMW F800 parallel twin) and Julian Dupont (freestyle trials rider) seem to show that flat torque, as well as Carver (DR650 and currently ER6n) seem to enjoy a flat torque curve...

sAsLEX
9th October 2007, 03:38
I think there I'd have to disagree... I had my FZR all stunted up (54 tooth rear sprocket), but as soon as power delivery came (after the front would come up), I'd get nervous and set it down... the only time I didn't set it down, it set itself down on its side and then slid down the road with me still sitting on it... that was the last time the bike worked...
Although, yes... most stunters seem to prefer rev-hungry inline4's as stunt-toys, but the likes of Christian Pfieffer (Ducati Monster, a bunch of trials bikes, and the BMW F800 parallel twin) and Julian Dupont (freestyle trials rider) seem to show that flat torque, as well as Carver (DR650 and currently ER6n) seem to enjoy a flat torque curve...

Was referring to the two stroke peaky power delivery vs a 4 strokes more linear.....

ZeroIndex
9th October 2007, 08:33
Was referring to the two stroke peaky power delivery vs a 4 strokes more linear.....
2 stroke trials bikes fortunately lack the peaky power delivery thanks to a nice um... no power band and no expansion chamber... I got to ride a montesa 250 2t a couple months back... it was awesome... it would just go (never got about i estimate 4000rpm maybe...

Buddy L
10th October 2007, 18:04
2 stroke trials bikes fortunately lack the peaky power delivery thanks to a nice um... no power band and no expansion chamber... I got to ride a montesa 250 2t a couple months back... it was awesome... it would just go (never got about i estimate 4000rpm maybe...

This is a very good point that people can get there head around, not all 2 stokes are rev hungry machines.
Tuning to suit the task at hand.

2strokegirl
1st November 2007, 09:28
we were thinking along the lines of a sport bike. dont really want a trial or mx type bike its too easy to do wheelys on them. possibly a v twin because of the low rev grunt beter for doing slow wheelys and not having to rev the shit out of it?? maby a vfr400 or sv650? dad just got a sv i took it for a blat and they seem quite tourqey lol.

imdying
1st November 2007, 09:43
Can't use an SV650, they starve the front cylinder and go bang :no:

Supermoto Junkie
1st November 2007, 10:13
Go with a Motard, easy to wheelie...easy to stoppie....easy, easy, easy.....and when you bin it (not if,when) you can just pick it up and try again..:2thumbsup

DEATH_INC.
1st November 2007, 10:25
Forget all the other shit and get a SRAD, don't starve for oil , don't blow up and crash real well. And do mint wheelies and stoppies.

jrandom
1st November 2007, 10:28
get a SRAD, don't starve for oil , don't blow up and crash real well.

+1

:niceone:

ZeroIndex
1st November 2007, 12:00
Go with a Motard, easy to wheelie...easy to stoppie....easy, easy, easy.....and when you bin it (not if,when) you can just pick it up and try again..:2thumbsup

Good sound advice

carver
1st November 2007, 21:07
a group of mates and i wer looking into getting a bike purely for teaching ourselves how to do stunt type things.. wheelys endos riding over the handlebars etc etc we're tossing up between a 400 and 600.

street triple...
or for half the price
used ER6n
front brakes need adjusting for stoppies though as they feel a little grabby when used hard

aff-man
1st November 2007, 21:15
we were thinking along the lines of a sport bike. dont really want a trial or mx type bike its too easy to do wheelys on them. possibly a v twin because of the low rev grunt beter for doing slow wheelys and not having to rev the shit out of it?? maby a vfr400 or sv650? dad just got a sv i took it for a blat and they seem quite tourqey lol.

ok the vfr400 will be bloody hard....

like power there is no substitute for cc's. The bigger the capacity (usually) the easier it is to wheelie, but the faster you go when doing them.

My zxr400 although I could get the wheel up took quite a bit of effort and skill. The cbr600 was much easier and a flick of the cluth in first at about 7k revs would have it up almost on balance point. The gsxr600 was easier and then there was the 750 which was a just silly easy. the k4 1000 was easy as well but very fast for power wheelie. You can wheelie just about anything but ease depends on gearing, power delivery and skill.

A nice cbr600 will do ya right. Mine was an f3 but an f4i might be a bit better.

p.s. GO THE MIGHTY SRAD was the best bike to learn to wheelie on

Chrislost
2nd November 2007, 23:19
get a oll (early 90s) 600.

the honda ones, although being hondas, are pretty tough and have enough grunt when you play with the sprockets to do slow wheelies on.

Kevmo7
4th November 2007, 20:01
get a oll (early 90s) 600.

the honda ones, although being hondas, are pretty tough and have enough grunt when you play with the sprockets to do slow wheelies on.

:clap:

CBR600 F2 or F3 is the way to go! :sweatdrop

Morcs
4th November 2007, 20:33
my cbr 600 F2 wheelies a piece of piss. with motocross bars these no need to use the clutch at all, just gas on the power and a slightly upwards flick of the wrists gets the wheel off the ground.

Drew
5th November 2007, 11:20
:clap:

CBR600 F2 or F3 is the way to go! :sweatdrop

I think the F2 and F3 have the same issue with doing stoppies as my FZR, Ghostrider said he had to flick the choke on before doin it to stop gas starving. I am still getting round to actuall moving the choke to the bars on my bike, so I just let it stall at the moment then restart it with the choke afterwards. Prolly looks a bit silly when I'm doing shows, but I've only done one so far and nobody seemed to mind the two second delay in shinanigans.

Kevmo7
6th November 2007, 21:02
I think the F2 and F3 have the same issue with doing stoppies as my FZR, Ghostrider said he had to flick the choke on before doin it to stop gas starving. I am still getting round to actuall moving the choke to the bars on my bike, so I just let it stall at the moment then restart it with the choke afterwards. Prolly looks a bit silly when I'm doing shows, but I've only done one so far and nobody seemed to mind the two second delay in shinanigans.

my RR pisses out fuel outta the over flow, i use heaps of fuel if i do heaps of stoppies hahahhahahaha

Just stick with the CBR's and you will be fine, the old CBR900's are wicked stunt bikes, my team mate, Jase used to stunt one of them back in the day lol

2strokegirl
8th November 2007, 08:06
sounds like a cbr is the way to go.

Weaver
24th November 2007, 17:05
Would a GSX-400K be an alright bike to learn to stunt on?

Kevmo7
24th November 2007, 17:45

nah man, stick with the 600's

Coyote
24th November 2007, 19:03
250cc 2 stroke trials bike :D

Weaver
24th November 2007, 19:41

Heres a link to the bike had in mind

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=128679268

Kevmo7
25th November 2007, 10:55
Heres a link to the bike had in mind

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=128679268

thats a bargain, but still, i wouldnt have it lol

Chrislost
25th November 2007, 22:48
my 400 did mean wheelies(for a 400)

my 750 does big fat lazy ones on the odd occasion i get it up

Kevmo7
26th November 2007, 18:59
my 400 did mean wheelies(for a 400)

my 750 does big fat lazy ones on the odd occasion i get it up

ill admit, that VFR400 did do some pretty good wheelies lol, but the 750 does way better ones!!!! on the odd occasion hahahahha