PDA

View Full Version : Well... I'm an idiot! Poor Suzuki!

b1g-fuLLa
1st October 2007, 18:33
Well, many of you would have seen my post about blowing my rg 150 up. I now know why it happend.

As it turned out, the water coolent leak WAS he cause of the seizure!!! BUT!!! It was only a heat seizure, once it was properly cooled down again it turned over, but does not start.

The reason is I DID NOT TOP UP THE ENIGINE OIL GAH!!!!!!! :girlfight:

As a relatively newbie to bikes i didn't really look it over as I should. The cranks are absolutely rooted.

Clever huh?? Needs a new engine. I have a big repair bill coming.................. :weep:

merv
1st October 2007, 18:36
Ah so did no one tell you about looking after this stuff? Like oil and things.

koba
1st October 2007, 18:37
:doh: Best way to learn tho, and lucky its not such a hard bike to suss an engine for wether repaired or new.

u Poor bastard :crybaby:

b1g-fuLLa
1st October 2007, 18:41
Ah so did no one tell you about looking after this stuff? Like oil and things.

Ummmm no lol, i thought i knew it all already bahahahaha!!!!!! grrrrrr:bye:

I remembered to fill the collent tank, and I even remembered the petrol! clever ae? :shit:

Bren
1st October 2007, 20:24
Hard lessons learned are lessons well learned.......not to worry mate....I have seized an engine or two in my lifetime....

breakaway
1st October 2007, 20:28
Should be able to find RG150 engines floating around. They are popular race bikes now aren't they?

Mr. Peanut
1st October 2007, 20:28
You bought a two-stroke, and no-one told you about the oil. Red Baron was it? <_<

Pancakes
3rd October 2007, 14:13
You bought a two-stroke, and no-one told you about the oil. Red Baron was it? <_<

Mmmmm, was it a shop or private? Either way it would have been worth a mention. I would have thought 2 smokers would have had an oil light?

koba
3rd October 2007, 14:27
Mmmmm, was it a shop or private? Either way it would have been worth a mention. I would have thought 2 smokers would have had an oil light?

Rg 150 is supposed to have an oil light that comes on well before the tank is fully empty, doesn't mean they all work tho :crazy:

Mine never gets below half, running out of petrol can be a pain but we all know from above what happens if you run out of oil :(

FruitLooPs
3rd October 2007, 15:27
Rg 150 is supposed to have an oil light that comes on well before the tank is fully empty, doesn't mean they all work tho :crazy:

Mine never gets below half, running out of petrol can be a pain but we all know from above what happens if you run out of oil :(

Yeah I err well on the side of caution when it comes to oil on my RG, once after a rebuild when I was changing to syth from mineral oil I turned on the ignition with the oil tank empty just to check, and my oil light works - but the tank was fully empty so i'm not sure how close it has to get! :lol:

I top mine up every week, which is only about 50kms of riding and I think only about 1/5th of the tank used. Racing top it up after each race or two, takes 2 seconds no reason why not. :2thumbsup

Hope you find an engine mate, sure you will - mines up to 52,000km's and still ticking over daily.

b1g-fuLLa
3rd October 2007, 18:11

Umm yea about that........... The battery was dead. Obviously when i took it for a spin the lights all started working BUT THE OIL LIGHT NEVER CAME ON!

It was a private sale, through trademe.

Taz
3rd October 2007, 18:42
Just remember in future that everything you need to know about your bike you can find on this new fangled interweb thingy.

Mom
3rd October 2007, 18:50
It was a private sale

Bummer for you mate! Dont feel too bad, lesson learned and all that stuff!

Sorry it will be a costly lesson.

crshbndct
3rd October 2007, 22:52
you dont want to sell it sans engine do you?

b1g-fuLLa
4th October 2007, 18:02
you dont want to sell it sans engine do you?

No thanks mate sorry. Just found a running engine for $400 so the bike should be up and running in a few days.

I know $400 is cheap for a motor but its still a costly lesson for me. Being just a young fella, i don't get all that much money for the farm labour i do

So yea, a bugger for me! :clap:

breakaway
4th October 2007, 18:13
I suggest you

1. Top up oil every week
2. Set up a digital temp gauge (the cheap ones you get from DSE etc) so you can tell if the temperature gets too high. Certainily cheaper than siezing it on the open road.
3. Not trust the fuel / oil gauge on that bike. I used to own one of these, and DO NOT trust the fuel / oil / temperature gauge.

crshbndct
4th October 2007, 21:21
No thanks mate sorry. Just found a running engine for $400 so the bike should be up and running in a few days.

I know $400 is cheap for a motor but its still a costly lesson for me. Being just a young fella, i don't get all that much money for the farm labour i do

So yea, a bugger for me! :clap:

cool
i have access to a 450 thumper engine and was thining of doing a project bike

b1g-fuLLa
4th October 2007, 22:31
cool
i have access to a 450 thumper engine and was thining of doing a project bike

LOL im not so sure a 450 would fit in this frame!!

ajturbo
5th October 2007, 05:27
Should be able to find RG150 engines floating around. ?

now THAT is some of the funniest shit i have read in a long time...

these bikes were made in TIALAND... around 150 of them were ever brought into the country...

of that there are around 100 in the south island being RACED... and in the north... there are about 20... that does not leave many left on the road.....

you had best PM "oyster"... he will set you right.. or just buy your bike as is
it will cost you around $1000 for him to fix ya bike....i would hate to think what a bike shop would charge....

b1g-fuLLa
5th October 2007, 09:24
now THAT is some of the funniest shit i have read in a long time...

these bikes were made in taiwian... around 150 of them were ever brought into the country...

of that there are around 100 in the south island being RACED... and in the north... there are about 20... that does not leave many left on the road.....

you had best PM "oyster"... he will set you right.. or just buy your bike as is
it will cost you around $1000 for him to fix ya bike....i would hate to think what a bike shop would charge....

Hey mate, as luck would have it i have found a good running 1998 rg150 motor at a local wreckers, the bike was totald in a head on but the motor still runs. If that doesn,t work out for me then I will sell it "as is" and buy a zxr :cool:

ajturbo
5th October 2007, 18:20
Hey mate, as luck would have it i have found a good running 1998 rg150 motor at a local wreckers, the bike was totald in a head on but the motor still runs. If that doesn,t work out for me then I will sell it "as is" and buy a zxr :cool:

be carefull... and i really hope it works out...

but if it shit's it's self...

i will be happy to offer you around ......

tommorth
7th October 2007, 09:39
were there really only 150 brought into the country? used to be lots of them around

b1g-fuLLa
10th October 2007, 19:51
Ok, i know the cranks are rooted, but the motor still turns over. So i have nothing to lose by trying to start it up again right? Or do i...........?

ajturbo
10th October 2007, 20:13
$55.00.........

Squiggles
10th October 2007, 21:15
http://www.motorcyclewrecker.com/New%20Parts/Mixed.php maybe, depends whats rooted

b1g-fuLLa
10th October 2007, 21:25
Ummmm i'l have a talk to the mechanic tommorow. To be blunt I dont know much about mechanics.......... at all. I just love to ride!!! Ummmm i think what the mechanic said was because of the lack of engine oil the cranks are screwed? Or was it gearbox oil?? Im not sure i heard it second hand, through his son who is a mate of mine. Ill ask him exactly what the bike needs, i was told by his son a whole new motor..............

FruitLooPs
11th October 2007, 08:49
See if you can sell it cheap to Oyster, he might have use for a spare since he has RG's coming out his ears. :lol: He has the skills to rebuild it etc, whether he wants or needs it i'm not sure.

That new engine, whip off the power valve cover and check they're adjusted properly - have springs and the retainers in place and possibly even take the valves out to check condition. Genuine OEM valves are $700 for a pair when i got them (I see $350 on that other site! grrr), so a quick check could save you a stupid amount of money, that and the fact if they do break away they might decide to vacation in your cylinder. :weep:

Hate for you to get a new engine whack it in and have it chew the valves, like mine had when I purchased - do you know how many KM's on the engine or when it was last rebuilt etc? :)

I've got the manual if you need it.

b1g-fuLLa
15th October 2007, 12:53
See if you can sell it cheap to Oyster, he might have use for a spare since he has RG's coming out his ears. :lol: He has the skills to rebuild it etc, whether he wants or needs it i'm not sure.

That new engine, whip off the power valve cover and check they're adjusted properly - have springs and the retainers in place and possibly even take the valves out to check condition. Genuine OEM valves are $700 for a pair when i got them (I see $350 on that other site! grrr), so a quick check could save you a stupid amount of money, that and the fact if they do break away they might decide to vacation in your cylinder. :weep:

Hate for you to get a new engine whack it in and have it chew the valves, like mine had when I purchased - do you know how many KM's on the engine or when it was last rebuilt etc? :)

I've got the manual if you need it.

Dude i have NO idea how to do any of that!! Wouldnt have a clue how many ks on engine, the odo was smashed in the crash. Are you able to email the manual to me? Cheers

ajturbo
15th October 2007, 16:47
also Oyster has NO NEED for any more bikes.... honest, he told me... lol .. no he didn't.. but as we need as many spare bikes/engine bits it would be a shame for them to go south.. just for them to come back up...

so if you do decide to sell "as is" please contact me, we have a club bike that the vic M/C club let new riders use.. this needs parts all the time...

luke has just blown his SECOND rg150 in as many meetings... so ANY help of a spare bike is always great!...

AJ

b1g-fuLLa
15th October 2007, 19:07
Hey aj, at the moment i just want to fix it ae. but i might sell it "as is" if i got a good price for it. At the moment i think i will fix it then sell it, and buy a zxr

ajturbo
15th October 2007, 19:46
$45.00.....

scracha
15th October 2007, 20:20
Hey aj, at the moment i just want to fix it ae. but i might sell it "as is" if i got a good price for it. At the moment i think i will fix it then sell it, and buy a zxr

Suzuki's are $hite anyway. Kawasaki's are gay and Yamaha's don't handle. You want a nice sensible Honda you do.

b1g-fuLLa
15th October 2007, 21:08
Suzuki's are $hite anyway. Kawasaki's are gay and Yamaha's don't handle. You want a nice sensible Honda you do.

Nope i want a mint zxr to whip the shite out of any cbr coming my way :clap:

scracha
15th October 2007, 21:18
Oh, dear. I can hear dueling banjo's in Te Aroha.

CBR's can handle being caned with no coolant though :innocent:

discotex
16th October 2007, 10:58

Mine'll be up for sale in 6 weeks.. Photo in profile pic ;)

Toaster
16th October 2007, 11:16
Hmmmm.... yes engine oil is your friend. Regular maintenance checks is a good preventative. Shame for you bud.

b1g-fuLLa
16th October 2007, 18:23
Mine'll be up for sale in 6 weeks.. Photo in profile pic ;)

Not so keen on the colour but mint bike! How much you looking to get?

b1g-fuLLa
16th October 2007, 18:26
Oh, dear. I can hear dueling banjo's in Te Aroha.

CBR's can handle being caned with no coolant though :innocent:

Lol ok :D heres a suggestion! I can't ride for shite (yet) but if and when i get a zxr iknow of alot of long straight copless roads in our area, drag race time?? I'll lose tho, youve got a 400!!!!

discotex
16th October 2007, 18:44
Not so keen on the colour but mint bike! How much you looking to get?

Not sure yet. Basically somewhere between trade value (not sure what the shops will offer me yet) and market value to see her go to a good home. I'll be wanting the cash for an upgrade so will negotiatable up to a point as long as it's more than the dealers and cash.

I'll probably try for somewhere in the $5-6.5k range on tardme judging by the prices for mint C model ZXR's lately :)

FruitLooPs
16th October 2007, 22:36
also Oyster has NO NEED for any more bikes.... honest, he told me... lol .. no he didn't.. but as we need as many spare bikes/engine bits it would be a shame for them to go south.. just for them to come back up...

so if you do decide to sell "as is" please contact me, we have a club bike that the vic M/C club let new riders use.. this needs parts all the time...

luke has just blown his SECOND rg150 in as many meetings... so ANY help of a spare bike is always great!...

AJ

:Pokey: What the hell do you guys do up north? I've seen one RG seize, during racing out of a pack of 20 odd.Mine sees close to redline most days when warm and it's still ticking over just fine, service ya bikes people! :lol:

Run in properly after rebuilds, warmed up and maintained they don't seem to shit out any more regularly than any other strokers.

Big Fulla i've sent you a PM, if you want the manual. Checking that stuff out is pretty simple mate, you just need to get the fairings off, allen keys and a size 8 spanner from memory. Stick a fresh sparkplug in too while you're at it - maybe make sure the oil pump is set correct and you're away.

Take an hour or two at most, whats another engine worth? (maybe ask luke :lol: )

ajturbo
17th October 2007, 07:13
:Pokey: What the hell do you guys do up north? I've seen one RG seize, during racing out of a pack of 20 odd.Mine sees close to redline most days when warm and it's still ticking over just fine, service ya bikes people! :lol:

Take an hour or two at most, whats another engine worth? (maybe ask luke :lol: )

well this is a bit strange.. luke's engine,... the carb some how had come addrift at the bottom... letting in toooo much air.... need i say more?

it COULD have been knocked while in the trailer...:weird::weird:

how many of you guys down south check the seating of your carb before each race???...

luke checks oil's, fuel, air etc before each race... on both his and my bikes... now i would understand if my bike shit it's self ( sabotarge)..but his?...
:baby:

FruitLooPs
17th October 2007, 07:25
well this is a bit strange.. luke's engine,... the carb some how had come addrift at the bottom... letting in toooo much air.... need i say more?

it COULD have been knocked while in the trailer...:weird::weird:

how many of you guys down south check the seating of your carb before each race???...

luke checks oil's, fuel, air etc before each race... on both his and my bikes... now i would understand if my bike shit it's self ( sabotarge)..but his?...
:baby:

Hmm that is strange :yes:

Anywho, i've uploaded the manual for anyone with an RG who wants it in two parts as a rar file:

http://rapidshare.com/files/62949217/RG150_Part_one.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/62963254/Manual.rar.html

inside they're pdf's

scracha
17th October 2007, 07:42
Lol ok :D heres a suggestion! I can't ride for shite (yet) but if and when i get a zxr iknow of alot of long straight copless roads in our area, drag race time?? I'll lose tho, youve got a 400!!!!

There's nothing BUT long boring straight roads in our area. You should go on one of the "250" coro loop runs. The road's twisty enough to make it enjoyable at legal speeds. Hell, I even enjoyed it on the 748.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=57348&highlight=scracha

Have you thought of bucket racing or trackdays. The Taupo short track is enjoyable on a wee bike.

I think I'd get spotted a mile away on my 400 by the cops.

Taz
17th October 2007, 10:43
I would have thought that the thing would have run like a bag of shit like that? Hang on they run like that as standard don't they?

Atomic
17th October 2007, 16:43
If your crank is ok, it should cost less than $400 to rebuild your engine and give you a fresh engine.

I have just the top end on my Aprilia RS250 (Suzuki RGV250 engine) and it cost me $476.00 in parts and a nights labour.

Pistons, rings, gudgeon pins, circlips, small end bearings, head gaskets and you only need half the amount being a single cylinder.
$250 in parts should see you right and possible a bore hone for $20 cash if ya ask an engine shop nice.
Worst case scenario, your cylinder bore is stuffed and/or you crank is stuffed so the second hand engine is the go but who knows if its any good, might need a top end build! Fresh top end MMMMMmmmmm the power band feels good! BUT as per a previous comment in this thread, would rather have a 450 single sitting in there, the RMZ engine brings a grin to my face every time I even think about twisting the throttle! :buggerd:

marty
17th October 2007, 16:51
Ummmm i'l have a talk to the mechanic tommorow. To be blunt I dont know much about mechanics.......... at all. I just love to ride!!! Ummmm i think what the mechanic said was because of the lack of engine oil (not 2 stroke oil!) the cranks are screwed? Im not sure i heard it second hand, through his son who is a mate of mine. Ill ask him exactly what the bike needs, i was told by his son a whole new motor.............. Aj whats $55??

am i missing something here?

b1g-fuLLa
17th October 2007, 19:39
LOL sorry if im making no sence! I honestly dont have a clue when it comes to mechanics..... the guy that looked at my bike is in aussie and won't be back for another week at least. I think I will just take the bike into a local shop and get them to sort it. Anyone know of a good bike shop between Te Aroha and Hamilton??