PDA

View Full Version : Chooks in rest areas

LB
13th October 2004, 04:52
Now I know this really isn't anything to do with bikes, but has anyone noticed that there's several road side rest areas where chooks live?

Foxton straights: heading north, just north of Foxton there's a long rest area on the left with some tables and one of those round toilets. And for at least a couple of years now there's been a family of chooks living there. We usually see at least half a dozen.

Near Morrinsville: on SH27, heading between Ngarua and M'ville, just after the sweeping left hander with the road going off to the right (to Waitoa?), right by the little bridge, there's a rest area on the left set back a bit with lots of trees. And there's a family of chooks that lives there, they've been there for quite a number of years now.

And there's another rest area somewhere with chooks too, but I can't remember where.

Anyone got any observations/theories on this phenomenon?

What?
13th October 2004, 05:28
And the rest area just south of Athenree gorge, the one in Athenree gorge and on top of the Tairua hill.

Guess there's assholes in the world who will dump any unwanted animal on the side of the road. Unlike cats and dogs, chooks don't wander from where they are - no more than 50 metres or so as a rule, so they tend to live and breed in small, highly visible areas.

wari
13th October 2004, 05:36
I'D say they're the lucky ones ... :spudwhat:

FRiendly campers and allthat eh .. ? :spudwave:

And how many people have pett choooks ... :sunny:

Jackrat
13th October 2004, 06:00
There's chooks at a couple of the rest areas up the Dome valley and at the rest area on the hill half way from AK to Matamata.
What,hit the nail on the head,people just dump em'.
We have chooks but would never do that to em'.Our chooks die from old age at home.

Motu
13th October 2004, 06:41
I've also noticed this,I really like to see them on the side of the road,doing what comes natural - survival,chooks are a manufactured bird,I don't think such a creature existed in the wild,so it'd be interesting to see what happens to them.

At the top of the road between Afriston and Clevdon are some roadside chooks,I've been going over this road for more than 30 yrs,I can remember them back in the late 70s when there was a bit of a roadside dump here.

FzerozeroT
13th October 2004, 07:05
don't know if this is one of the areas already mentioned, but between Te Awamutu and Taumarunui there's another one. it's kind of cool cause you can stop and feed them... like ducks.

T.I.E
13th October 2004, 07:17
also near the pohuehue viaduct north of puhoi south of warkworth, chooks living there too. it's kinda cool. but how many end up on the dinner table?

boris
13th October 2004, 07:58
there is some north of masterton as well

Hitcher
13th October 2004, 08:35
There's a rest area at the top of the hill on the western Lake Taupo road with views up over Kuratau and the lake to Taupo township. There's a bunch of chooks that loiter there with intent...

vifferman
13th October 2004, 08:55
Apparently (I didn't notice), there are chooks in a rest area near Warkworth. The cop who was hiding amongst them (very cunning camouflage) told me so.

dhunt
13th October 2004, 10:51
Now I know this really isn't anything to do with bikes, but has anyone noticed that there's several road side rest areas where chooks live?

Foxton straights: heading north, just north of Foxton there's a long rest area on the left with some tables and one of those round toilets. And for at least a couple of years now there's been a family of chooks living there. We usually see at least half a dozen.

Near Morrinsville: on SH27, heading between Ngarua and M'ville, just after the sweeping left hander with the road going off to the right (to Waitoa?), right by the little bridge, there's a rest area on the left set back a bit with lots of trees. And there's a family of chooks that lives there, they've been there for quite a number of years now.

And there's another rest area somewhere with chooks too, but I can't remember where.

That's incase you get hungry. mmmmm chicken.

Cajun
13th October 2004, 11:37
And the rest area just south of Athenree gorge, the one in Athenree gorge and on top of the Tairua hill.

Guess there's assholes in the world who will dump any unwanted animal on the side of the road. Unlike cats and dogs, chooks don't wander from where they are - no more than 50 metres or so as a rule, so they tend to live and breed in small, highly visible areas.

Doesn't count for the 2 that arrived out our place, just wandered on to our farm one day, no one around with chickens, then in turn had 9 baby chicks

The Pastor
13th October 2004, 12:41
ROFL

Those chickens were placed there by some group (funded by the goverment i think) for tourists to stop have a rest and feed them! there every were. Most have died by now but there used to be HEAPS. Some little groups are going stong and i guess always will :)

Chickens are a wild aminal! where do you think they came from a factory? :P they have been domesticated and arnt really in the wild no more.

its not really a phenomenon.

A phenomenon is why EVERY SECOND car has a blue glade air freshner. There everywere just like chickens!!!

vifferman
13th October 2004, 12:48
.Anyone got any observations/theories on this phenomenon?.They're bean counters who couldn't take the drudgery any more and escaped?:blank:

Motu
13th October 2004, 13:17
There is also a group on the Southern Motorway by the north bound Drury on ramp,dangerous place,but they seem to have it well in hand...or beak as it were.

Put there for tourists to feed,yeah right...

Kickaha
13th October 2004, 17:39
There is also a group on the Southern Motorway by the north bound Drury on ramp,dangerous place,but they seem to have it well in hand...or beak as it were.

Put there for tourists to feed,yeah right...

No they were put there to feed the tourists and starving broken down motorists perhaps we can have a KB chicken bbq at one of these rest areas one day.

StoneChucker
13th October 2004, 17:48
perhaps we can have a KB chicken bbq at one of these rest areas one day
Just think of the ensuing chaos when we try and catch them :2guns: Chooks running around the road, KB'ers running after them with arms extended and waving, salivating onlookers cheering them on and ironically making chook like noises amongst themselves AND finally, Paul_in_NZ firing up the BBQ :soon:

Just hope whereever the chook areas are, the chooks stick to the side of the road. I think it would be very hard on a bike, to dodge any more than 2 witless chooks fleeting across the road :sweatdrop

What?
14th October 2004, 05:40
Our chooks die from old age at home.
Same at Chez What? - except for roosters... some of them have a bad habit of walking in front of lead shot

Velox
14th October 2004, 15:41
Christchurch - by the Bot. :eek5: gardens has chooks wandering around. Hmmm. I ran down a chook once which was a little disturbing. What's even more weird though is that you only ever see mynas (like brown/black black birds with yellow around their eyes) at the side of highways! Never in your garden, never in paddocks, never on the side of normal roads, only at the side of highways walking in circles! It's amazing!

StoneChucker
14th October 2004, 15:58
only ever see mynas (like brown/black black birds with yellow around their eyes) at the side of highways!
Yes, they're the vultures of NZ, waiting for more roadkill. Which would explain their abundance on KB rides :lol:

greenhorn
14th October 2004, 16:36
Anyone noticed the rooster who on the grassy bit where the southeastern arterial joins the motorway going north
Nearly everyday he's there happy as. Fine looking rooster too. Looks like he thinks he owns the place

greenhorn
14th October 2004, 16:36
damn my avatar still dont work

Blakamin
14th October 2004, 16:37
damn my avatar still dont work
you stalled it!