PDA

View Full Version : #3 Thought for the day..

MyGSXF
2nd October 2007, 14:39
WHEN THE TIME COMES, TAKE ACTION!!

We have all been brought up to be very careful about making decisions. Before making an important decision, we are told to list all the alternatives, to weigh the relative merits of each, to consider what might go wrong, & finally, to put all these factors together and to make the final decision. This is all very fine and very rational.

However, something very undesirable often comes with this kind of extended decision-making process, namely anxiety! Worry shows on our faces. As I look around at my students every day, I can see faces etched with worry, about jobs, finances, living arrangements or family life. Of course, life is not always simple, and there are choices to be made from a number of alternatives.

Sometimes, however, we can be paralysed by the process of making a decision. We keep running the process through our minds: we doubt our first instincts, and we are confused by the advice of others. The more we think, the more we worry, and the more we worry, the more afraid we become to make a definite decision. With anxiety comes fear, and with fear comes paralysis. So, we may wind up doing nothing and allowing our moment of opportunity to slip away.

By all means, think about what should be done in a particular situation. But once you have done this, go ahead and do what you have decided. Life almost never turns out exactly as planned. There is a saying: "The only thing that's for sure is that nothing's for sure". So, once you have acted on your decision, you'll probably find that things didn't work exactly as you had anticipated. What you will also find, in most cases, is that things were not as difficult as you had imagined them to be and there were more possibilities than you had envisioned.

There comes a time for action: when the time comes, do it!!

You may make a miscalculation, a misjudgement or even a major blunder. So what? You will have learned and you will have gathered more knowledge and experience, which will enable you to go further, perhaps to immediately improve the situation. If you stand on the side thinking about it, you will never know! Problems, challenges and difficulties are opportunities in disguise. They are opportunities to grow and to develop ourselves. We should take them wherever and whenever we can!! :banana:

From "One day One Lifetime" by Kaicho Tadashi Nakamura

merv
2nd October 2007, 15:08
If it feels good, do it.

canarlee
2nd October 2007, 15:16
If it feels good, do it.

unless it hurts anyone else.:yes:

Griff
2nd October 2007, 15:22
In the words of the Ancients, one should make his decisions within the space of seven breaths
Hagakure 17Century Japanese Text

Edbear
2nd October 2007, 17:05
I have no trouble making decisions!:cool:

(Unless I have a choice...:()

merv
2nd October 2007, 17:09
I have no trouble making decisions!:cool:

(Unless I have a choice...:()

What, you used to think you weren't indecisive but now you're not so sure?

merv
2nd October 2007, 17:11

That wouldn't feel good would it. Gotta see the smiles.

98tls
2nd October 2007, 17:32
one things for sure.....worrying about something will not affect the outcome one little bit.

Edbear
2nd October 2007, 17:43
What, you used to think you weren't indecisive but now you're not so sure?

Yes, that's it! I think... maybe... well...:confused:

mstriumph
2nd October 2007, 18:23

.... or involves chocolate .......:(

merv
2nd October 2007, 19:24
.... or involves chocolate .......:(

Huh, just been eating some Whitakers Rum and Raisin dark choc with my coffee - what does that mean I am?

I sure know it felt good so I did it.