PDA

View Full Version : What is the coolest motocycling sport?

cowboyz
2nd October 2007, 15:39
Being as it is pissing down with rain I had a thought.

What is the coolest sport out there? When you look at the compeditors and think they are the man.

Mrs Cowboyz is thinking FMX cause of the tricks and although the sport takes alot of skill and even more gonads once you have seen a few tricks it kinda gets old for me quite quick.

I would be thinking trials bikes. I can watch them forever. The control is amazing. I would love a go on one but never had the oppourtunity present itself. Closely followed by road bike racing but then I find myself wishing I was out there.

So what choices do we have?

Road/track racing
MotoX
FMX
Trials
Stunting

Any others that havent come to mind?

poll in order me thinks

cowboyz
2nd October 2007, 15:41
I just thought of drags as I was typing the poll

peasea
2nd October 2007, 15:51
Another one you missed;

"Boobs on bikes."

Just the best.

cowboyz
2nd October 2007, 16:01
yeah. saw that boobs on bikes parade. Were there bikes there?

Indiana_Jones
2nd October 2007, 16:02
Which one would Speedway come under?

Cause those guys are nuts! lol

And I like Sidecars :D

Fuck it! I like all of it lol

-Indy

98tls
2nd October 2007, 16:08
Would quite happily watch trials all day myself so went with that closely followed by road racing,wanganui,isle of man etc to me anyway is miles better to watch than track racing.

deanohit
2nd October 2007, 16:08
No Supermoto on there, I love that stuff.
Trials it is then, the skill those guys have is amazing, and to see the places they go, awesome.

cowboyz
2nd October 2007, 16:10
speedway. well there is one I never thought of. Jezzz those boys go hard.

Ocean1
2nd October 2007, 16:16
I would be thinking trials bikes. I can watch them forever. The control is amazing. I would love a go on one but never had the oppourtunity present itself.

Allow me to present your oppourtunity: http://www.ixion.org.nz/cald.html
I no longer entertain the troops but if you showed up and took an interest I'd be surprised if you didn't get offered a ride.

peasea
2nd October 2007, 16:20
speedway. well there is one I never thought of. Jezzz those boys go hard.

So many aspects to bikes, hard to pick, like a toddler's nose. I like em all, drags on a good day are awesome too. I took this a few years ago at Champion and interviewed Brett, he's a wild man for sure.

Blondini
2nd October 2007, 16:29
You forgot Ice speedway..Am I the only one that has seen On any sunday:cold:

cowboyz
2nd October 2007, 16:33
I no longer entertain the troops but if you showed up and took an interest I'd be surprised if you didn't get offered a ride.

awesome contact there. Would love to go down this weekend but have to be in taranaki this weekend. where is Maungakotukutuku Valley? Might try to make that one next month.

98tls
2nd October 2007, 16:36
I no longer entertain the troops but if you showed up and took an interest I'd be surprised if you didn't get offered a ride. If you were looking to give it a go with a limited budget and an intense dislike of two strokes what would you reccomend as a suitable mount,i have seen the odd TL250/125 come up from time to time.

cowboyz
2nd October 2007, 16:36
oh. side point. Mental trousers has red repped me twice in the last month for using green text cause he cant read it. I have one green for using green.

I can read it fine on the standard background. Can others read it?
I wont use green for this post just so mental trousers can read it to respond.

James Deuce
2nd October 2007, 16:38
Desert Raids and Mountain Rallies.

98tls
2nd October 2007, 16:39
So many aspects to bikes, hard to pick, like a toddler's nose. I like em all, drags on a good day are awesome too. I took this a few years ago at Champion and interviewed Brett, he's a wild man for sure. Sweet photo mate,what sort of time does he clock on that?

Ocean1
2nd October 2007, 16:42
awesome contact there. Would love to go down this weekend but have to be in taranaki this weekend. where is Maungakotukutuku Valley? Might try to make that one next month.

Just south of Paraparaumu.

Ocean1
2nd October 2007, 16:52
If you were looking to give it a go with a limited budget and an intense dislike of two strokes what would you reccomend as a suitable mount,i have seen the odd TL250/125 come up from time to time.

I prefer thumpers myself, but a limited budget more or less rules out any of the later 4 strokes, and while the old TL's make good trail bikes compared to anything less than 20 years old they're utterly outclassed for competition trials. Can't remember what a TL250 weighs, not a hell of a lot less than an XL. A modern trials bike is 70KG, 'nuf said? Go to a meeting dude, talk to the boys, if nothing else it's a good afternoon's entertainment.

cowboyz
2nd October 2007, 16:55
sweet. thanks for that. I will put in in my calender now.

98tls
2nd October 2007, 17:05
I prefer thumpers myself, but a limited budget more or less rules out any of the later 4 strokes, and while the old TL's make good trail bikes compared to anything less than 20 years old they're utterly outclassed for competition trials. Can't remember what a TL250 weighs, not a hell of a lot less than an XL. A modern trials bike is 70KG, 'nuf said? Go to a meeting dude, talk to the boys, if nothing else it's a good afternoon's entertainment. Cheers.....do they have a classic class do you know,that way at least an old TL or similar wouldnt be to far out of its depth,i probably still would be though:cool:

banditrider
2nd October 2007, 17:12
You forgot Ice speedway..Am I the only one that has seen On any sunday:cold:

Awesome movie - must check out the 2nd one one day.

Bullitt
2nd October 2007, 17:17
Awesome movie - must check out the 2nd one one day.

I got the three pack off ebay new for about NZ$40. That was when the exchange rate was abit better but its still cheap.

The other two discs arnt a patch on the original but still worth watching.

I pick trials, not sure whether I prefer indoors or outdoors, probably in.

Havnt had a go on one and doubt I ever will, dont have the talent to even get close to attempting anything.

idleidolidyll
2nd October 2007, 17:26
trials is awesome and i say that as an ex motocrosser and road racer

i stand in awe

Motu
2nd October 2007, 17:39
Flattrack.All this action is at over 100mph.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZkgQ5KYekhM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZkgQ5KYekhM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

deanohit
2nd October 2007, 17:59
Hmmmm, may have to look at more of this flat tracking, looks like fun an should improve my bike drifting skills which, Ejkddorai will agree, are sadly (and funnily) lacking.

Ocean1
2nd October 2007, 21:57
Cheers.....do they have a classic class do you know,that way at least an old TL or similar wouldnt be to far out of its depth,i probably still would be though:cool:

Yes, club events are very relaxed anyway but there is a class where you can elect which grade within each section you want to attempt. Usual rules about buying anything apply, do yourself a favour and ride a newish one eh?

Wolf
2nd October 2007, 22:05
Should have been a multi-pick poll, I wanted to tick FMX, Moto-X and Trials. Settled on trials as a marginal favourite (can't do it but shit, I could watch it for hours).

Ocean1
2nd October 2007, 22:06
I pick trials, not sure whether I prefer indoors or outdoors, probably in.

Havnt had a go on one and doubt I ever will, dont have the talent to even get close to attempting anything.

Neither do I, but it hurts a bit less than the other disciplines when you fuck up. It's also not as expensive as most, and very family friendly.
And then once in a while you surprise yourself y'know?

Wolf
2nd October 2007, 22:17
Looks excellent.

A question: are flat trackers better designed/set up for drifting than most bikes? I've seen a person drift a 225cc factory flat-tracker on tarmac. Is that because the set up of the bikes makes it easier to do or is it entirely the rider?

nudemetalz
2nd October 2007, 22:45
Now, for me it's got to be Supermoto - esp watching those awesome Aprilia v-twin 550's going for it.
Then trials for sure (funny how so many people here have mentioned it).

But seeing Kenny Roberts on a TZ750 Flat-Tracker has got to be something else. Anyone got any footage of that?

peasea
2nd October 2007, 22:48
Sweet photo mate,what sort of time does he clock on that?

At the time I think it was low sevens, now well into the 6's.

peasea
2nd October 2007, 22:50

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZkgQ5KYekhM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZkgQ5KYekhM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

That's cool shit isn't it?
While modern-day engines rock, you have to admit the XR750 HD's still cut a good rooster tail.

Motu
2nd October 2007, 22:59
Looks excellent.

A question: are flat trackers better designed/set up for drifting than most bikes? I've seen a person drift a 225cc factory flat-tracker on tarmac. Is that because the set up of the bikes makes it easier to do or is it entirely the rider?

Defiantly the bike - even at a basic level there is a hell of a lot involved in set up....steering geometry,tyres,shocks etc.But for the last 25 years or more the Flattracker has been an infinetly adjustable bike - they can alter rake without altering trail,or wheelbase,and all combinations there of,shift centre of gravity,change rim widths to alter tyre profile.All the American GP stars of the late '70's through the '80's came from flattrack,and not only influenced riding style,but set ups as well....they were used to adjusting their bikes for different tracks and changing conditions.

And if you think Nicky Hayden is pretty cool stepping his MotoGP Honda out,check out the first photo of him on the RS750.

American and English speedway diverged because the English let the bike develop itself,where as the Yanks wanted them to be based on a production street machine - it is so much harder to ride a street based bike sideways around a dirt oval than a dedicated speedway bike.

Wolf
2nd October 2007, 23:09
Cheers for that, Motu.

When the bloke at Boyd's took the 225 flat tracker home for the night he came flying round the front and just effortlessly drifted it on the pavement and came to a halt parked parallel with my bike.

It looked like shitloads of fun (though I'd probably shit myself - I still get twitchy when riding my XT on mud and the back end drifts slightly.)

nudemetalz
3rd October 2007, 06:19
As Motu says :-

One of these - to one of these

Ocean1
3rd October 2007, 09:16
Drag racing's not very healthy... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQK2hwyIuR4

peasea
3rd October 2007, 12:29
Drag racing's not very healthy... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQK2hwyIuR4

It can he harmful to your wallet too.
I wonder how Del Worsham's ear drums were after this wee backfire.

kevfromcoro
3rd October 2007, 12:37
Jeez...what a pic..blew the body clean off.

ManDownUnder
3rd October 2007, 12:39
It can he harmful to your wallet too.
I wonder how Del Worsham's ear drums were after this wee backfire.

What makes you think they found them? LOL.... the ol' asbetos daks paid themselves that day!

Wolf
3rd October 2007, 13:01
the ol' asbetos daks paid themselves that day!
Hope they were waterproof, too...

peasea
3rd October 2007, 13:07
Jeez...what a pic..blew the body clean off.

Not too uncommon with nitro funny cars. Yeah, wicked pic, wish I'd taken it. I have a swag of old videos with John Force constantly blowing his rigs up; his engine tuner (Austin Coil) simply said "if it needs a new blower every run, it GETS a new blower every run."

What it must be to have a good sponsor.

Pancakes
3rd October 2007, 16:41
I voted FMX cos you said coolest not best or most impressive or anything else. From a non riders perspective this would probably be the most cool and I'd say they'd score the most chicks, thats cool I guess?