PDA

View Full Version : STALKING deer stories

mechano
2nd October 2007, 19:03
At the age of 14, with the mark of represent, my brother and I went halvies in a lee enfield WW1 .303 an box of shitty bullets. he'd just got his licence. no idea of what sighting a rifle in was.

We were going hunting! to KILL a DEER!

got a map and headed over the south end of the rimutakas for the week or so we thought. got to a hut marked on the map as a doc one, which was all locked up, so we broke in (wrong hut) cracked open the beers from the mini chili bin, set up, got bored so we decided with dusk coming on it was time to go HUNTING.

two, big footed, undergrowth snapping, branch breaking, gorshe chopping STEALTH teenagers bush bashing through the hill side, lee enfield with 6 bullets in it. jimmy starts waving army hand arm signals at me, he'd seen something.

something barks, deep throaty bark, marksman jimmy puts a fifty cent .303 into it. reloads, waits, nothing, runs the fifty meters to it, some poor wee helpless animal was kicking away on the ground coughing up blood. well it wasnt small. it was fucking huge. jimmy in charge tells me to back up, takes a few steps back an blows a hole in its skull.

still kicking around bark coughing, he goes arrgh didnt read about this bit, we'll break its neck, he got a bit of blood on his hands trying to snap it went white, an fainted. when he came to we decided he'd go back down to the river and get some bags.

took me half an hour to hack its head off, wish i'd done biology or payed attention at school, jimmy wanted the skin so was being careful where i cut, quite tricky business. cutting through the stomach liners was amusing, greeny brown stink all over me, found a wee littel baby deer in it amongst other stuff, chopped an chopped an chopped. got dark kept chopping. legs and lots of other meat, took an hour to cart it the 15 minutes back to hte hut.

shot stupid possums witha 303 that night, ate some fresh fresh venison, next day packed up bags, abosuletly full, and day packs on the front absolutely mashed in. some of the rougher bits were biffed.,

2 hour walk back to the car park took 6. collapsed in a heap an hour later chucked bags in car an drove home. put a big tarp over kitchen table spread out a SHIT LOAD OF meat. rinsed bits off in the sink chuck on table, filled the freezer up. parents were very suprised when they got home.

stick to shooting rabbits nad possums with a fifty shot 22 from a balcony or back of ute now.

Vagabond
2nd October 2007, 19:56
Sounds as though you had a good night out!

HEE Haa!

davereid
2nd October 2007, 20:23
Don't really have a deer stalking story.. but we were shooting possums one night from our trail bikes.

Saw a possum sitting on a fence post, so I shot it, picked it up and chucked it in my mates back-pack so we could skin it later.

Rode off, spot light on the trees looking for more victims, then my mate fell off his bike on a straight bit of road. I laughed.

Turns out possum was, well, playing possum. Lil bast*rd waited till we were mobile, then came to life, shredding my mates back, kidneys, liver etc with his claws through the thin wall of the back-pack.

I told my pal to hold still so I could put a couple of shots into the back-pack, but as he was still wearing it, he didnt see the funny side.

F*cked my mates bike, he still shows chicks the scars, and I had to throw the back pack away.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

On another occassion, I was looking for possums again. On my XT400, with a spanking new Ruger 10/22 on my back - an entire months pay. Right in the middle of the road was a possum.

I couldn't resist - I accelerated towards the possum, in my mind a good kick would send the possum skyward, in a curving arc towards the moon, like a good penalty goal.

The possum froze in my headlight, and my kick was perfect.

But the possum was solid. Really solid, like kicking a post.

I broke my toes, even though I had steel caped boots on. I felt like my leg had been wrapped behind my neck. As much as I admire girls who can do that, I found it most uncomfortable, and fell off my bike, landing heavily on, and terminally ending the career of my new rifle.

It cost me a dent in the tank, bent handle bars, a broken brake lever, and a new headlight.

The possum ran away.

Support 1080, it washes away in your drinking water.

FlangMasterJ
2nd October 2007, 21:34
Pure gold dave!