PDA

View Full Version : Emission Laws

unrealone
3rd October 2007, 08:00
Just did a quick search for this and couldn't bring anything up.

Curious if New Zealand is being effected by the 2008 emission laws in places like the US or UK? From what I understand 2-Strokes are getting the cut due to the tightening of these laws.

Anyone know if NZ has similar plans?

Hitcher
3rd October 2007, 08:06
We just blindly import what gets made in other countries. If we were serious about vehicle emissions there would be proper enforceable standards as part of WOF testing.

unrealone
3rd October 2007, 08:11
We just blindly import what gets made in other countries. If we were serious about vehicle emissions there would be proper enforceable standards as part of WOF testing.

Cheers Hitcher. I guess our contribution to Global Warming and that jazz isn't so high?

discotex
3rd October 2007, 10:48
Cheers Hitcher. I guess our contribution to Global Warming and that jazz isn't so high?

Not from automobiles.. Apparently it's farmers to blame. Farting cows and all that... Bring on the fart tax.

:corn: :jerry:

Hitcher
3rd October 2007, 12:08
Farting cows and all that... Bring on the fart tax.

No cows, nor any other ruminant animals that walk upon this planet, fart. But they do belch comparatively copious quantities of methane from an internal fermentation vessel otherwise known as a rumen, the first of four stomachs that a ruminant animal has.

discotex
3rd October 2007, 12:54
No cows, nor any other ruminant animals that walk upon this planet, fart. But they do belch comparatively copious quantities of methane from an internal fermentation vessel otherwise known as a rumen, the first of four stomachs that a ruminant animal has.

Typical media. So it really should have been dubbed the "burp tax" eh.. The things you learn.

I guess that's where the term "ruminating" comes from too.

scracha
3rd October 2007, 15:30

Pah, per capita this is one of the dirtiest most polluting nations on earth

johnnyflash
3rd October 2007, 15:59

Cool, so all thats required is a humungas K & N air filter inserted into side of Cow.. the mind boggles...:laugh:

discotex
3rd October 2007, 16:31
Cool, so all thats required is a humungas K & N air filter inserted into side of Cow.. the mind boggles...:laugh:

Wouldn't a cattle-itic converter work better?

johnnyflash
3rd October 2007, 18:23
heheh, nice one Discotex

NighthawkNZ
3rd October 2007, 18:27
Not from automobiles.. Apparently it's farmers to blame. Farting cows and all that... Bring on the fart tax.

more gas comes from parliment in one day than any farm in a year :rolleyes:

unrealone
3rd October 2007, 19:56
Haha, this thread turned out great. Didn't expect this amount of humor from such a topic :rolleyes:

craigs288
5th October 2007, 11:17

If they brought on a fart tax surely the dairy industry would have to pass on the increased costs to the New Zealand public so it would be consumers of meat and dairy products that would actually end up paying the tax. Just one more way for the morons in Wellington to try and squeeze every last cent out of the New Zealand public.
Ultimately, most of the money earned and spent by people ends up back in the pockets of the government anyway. Particularly if you follow the method of earn, tax then spend whats left, in the way they want you to.

Dave-
5th October 2007, 13:50
my rs250 smoked alot this morning when i started it, then once it warmed up it was just a splutter

bimotabob
5th October 2007, 16:34
Hi

I heard a rumour last week they plan to restrict imports bigtime soon, the car dealers are saying it will double the costs for some vehicles - large diesel 4WD's I think are the main target.

The government has been planning emission laws on vehicles here since the 70's - and they still don't actually have a system in place unless your vehicle
puts out that much smoke it will cause an accident.
Australia brought in emisssion legislation (ELB) in the mid 70's.
Clean green (allegedly) NZ is soooo slooow.

What a joke.

Regards

unhingedlizard
5th October 2007, 16:41
Would have thought that two strokes in NZ wouldnt be that much of an issue as they are not really all that common on the road and off roader (i.e motocross bikes) dont need a wof.

swbarnett
5th October 2007, 22:14
Pah, per capita this is one of the dirtiest most polluting nations on earth
Although in general this is probably true I heard it said once that our CO2 emissions are a net zero because of all the state forests. What we emit the trees absorb.

Hitcher
7th October 2007, 13:03
What we emit the trees absorb.

Given that New Zealand is deforesting at a rate currently in excess of 50,000ha a year, if that statement is true, then we should patent those trees!

scumdog
7th October 2007, 13:10
Given that New Zealand is deforesting at a rate currently in excess of 50,000ha a year, if that statement is true, then we should patent those trees!

Is replanting not compensating for this Mr H.??

scumdog
7th October 2007, 13:13
Hi

I heard a rumour last week they plan to restrict imports bigtime soon, the car dealers are saying it will double the costs for some vehicles - large diesel 4WD's I think are the main target.
Regards

Every time the Govt come up with an idea restricting the type of vehicle allowed into NZ the car sharks bleat like that.
But we still have so many cars you almost can't give away a car 15 years old or older, no shortage of cars arrivng here en masse each week.

Hitcher
7th October 2007, 13:13
Is replanting not compensating for this Mr H.??

That's the net figure. There is little money in logs at present, particularly when compared with other forms of land use, such as dairying. A drive through the central North Island will reveal some of the extent of conversion for this purpose. Also the Government's tax penalties for harvesting forests post 2012 are driving many foresters to flatten their forests now to avoid this -- some of these clearances are of trees between 3 and 7 years of age.

scumdog
7th October 2007, 13:15
. Also the Government's tax penalties for harvesting forests post 2012 are driving many foresters to flatten their forests now to avoid this -- some of these clearances are of trees between 3 and 7 years of age.

Now THAT'S real forward thinking eh???? Sheesh.

Hitcher
7th October 2007, 13:17
Now THAT'S real forward thinking eh???? Sheesh.

Another dumb law. Almost as bad as believing that a microchip inserted behind an ear will stop dogs attacking children.

The Pastor
7th October 2007, 13:59
hang on if we cut down all the tress how will the carbon get eaten up? the carbons will fly around causing mass havoc and attack mr ozone.

Quick we must make carbon netrual trees. and have carbon friendly areoplane rides by paying $10 more.

All I know is that the carbon monster must be pretty big, I saw a carbon foot print and it was the size of aussie.

johnnyflash
7th October 2007, 15:33
Haha, this thread turned out great. Didn't expect this amount of humor from such a topic :rolleyes:

Now tell the truth, you were worried that the cloud of smoke coming from the back of your old mans bike was likely to draw attention of the Greenies:devil2:

unrealone
7th October 2007, 15:48
Now tell the truth, you were worried that the cloud of smoke coming from the back of your old mans bike was likely to draw attention of the Greenies:devil2:

Hah! No greenies round my area! :rockon: