PDA

View Full Version : GSXR600 suspension setup for pillion?

Coldkiwi
13th October 2004, 16:24
With the impending Waikato Rally and my wife coming along for the ride, I am finally considering actually using all that wonderful adjustment that Suzuki provided my bike with to make the whole experience a bit more enjoyable/less risky.

My wife is pretty lightwieght (sub 50kg!) and not exactly tall and we won't be carrying much luggage (thanks to everyone's mate, FF!).

Anyone got any recommendations for improving the system for a long ride? I'm not planning to fang it - more about preserving the last millimeter or so of tread on my rear contiforce tyre before putting the new supercorsa on the back to match the front!

Sensei
13th October 2004, 16:38
Just abit more compression on the rear is all I do .About 1/2 a turn harder & maybe 1/4 turn rebound to slow it down abit from bouncing though hollow's Have found this is good for two up riding.Go for a quick ride with wifey on the back after you have played with setting's & see what it feel's like .May need 1-2 psi extra in the back tyre as well
SENSEI NP

Mr Skid
13th October 2004, 16:52
I'm not sure how you're going to do this, but you'll have to break it to Mrs CK that the OEM suspension don't allow for pillions, and that the only way to carry pillions on a gsxr600 is with Öhlins suspension setup :niceone:

aff-man
13th October 2004, 16:56
Hmmm are you worried about your tyres cause the time i was on it the suspension for pillion was sweet. (almost fell asleep on the way home hahahahaha)

Hoon
13th October 2004, 19:55
I'd just bump the preload up a little and more psi in the rear. Since you're touring you're more after comfort than performance so I wouldn't go too stiff - all you are after is to stop it bottoming out on the big bumps but then again both you and your missus are pretty light anyway so you mightn't need to change anything anyway.

James Deuce
13th October 2004, 20:11
50kg?????

I've had lunches that weighed more that that!!

Coldkiwi
14th October 2004, 10:49
I'll be adding another couple of psi to the front and rear too so I can save my tyres a bit.
yeah, well, she's MAYBE 50 on a 'fat day'... but I sure can't tell!

Hoon, yeah, its all about trying to make her as comfy as possible, i'll add some more spring and see how it behaves.. might even play with it on the way down.

Coldkiwi
14th October 2004, 10:51
Hmmm are you worried about your tyres cause the time i was on it the suspension for pillion was sweet. (almost fell asleep on the way home hahahahaha)

my bad - I'll make sure I ride more appropriately so you don't doze and fall off!

andy1
14th October 2004, 10:58
Thanks Hoon too!! Im thinking about getting a Ohlins setup, are they worth it??? bloody expensive at $1200 new!! Anyone got one on there 600?

Cheers

White trash
14th October 2004, 11:16
Thanks Hoon too!! Im thinking about getting a Ohlins setup, are they worth it??? bloody expensive at $1200 new!! Anyone got one on there 600?

Cheers

Are you a top level road racer? Modern bike suspension is pretty shit hot and unless you're outside normal weight or ride *fuggin* fast, I'd say don't bother.

White trash
14th October 2004, 11:17
CK: Go 1/2 turn more compression and you should be sweet.

50kgs makes good wheelie balast too. :yes:

Coldkiwi
14th October 2004, 12:06
cheers wt.
Mate, no way am I practicing wheelies with a pillion on! (especially not the wife!) hurting myself is one stupid thing, hurting her through foolery is just not an option.
although... practicing with aff-man on the back might be the go - should keep him awake!!

aff-man
14th October 2004, 13:36
cheers wt.
Mate, no way am I practicing wheelies with a pillion on! (especially not the wife!) hurting myself is one stupid thing, hurting her through foolery is just not an option.
although... practicing with aff-man on the back might be the go - should keep him awake!!

BASTARD that's lhe last time i go on the back. Doing the s bends at 140 odd was "interesting enough" :crazy: :crazy: :puke: :Playnice:

Coldkiwi
14th October 2004, 14:38
BASTARD that's lhe last time i go on the back. Doing the s bends at 140 odd was "interesting enough" :crazy: :crazy: :puke: :Playnice:

the waipuna ones?? rubbish! I'm sure it was under 130. 150 is much more fun :moon:

Quasievil
14th October 2004, 15:35
Mrs CK can ride in the car with Mrs Evil if she wants, Mrs Evil has organised a MPV so heaps of room if she doesnt want to go all the way with you on the bike

let me know big fella

Coldkiwi
14th October 2004, 15:44
Mrs CK can ride in the car with Mrs Evil if she wants, Mrs Evil has organised a MPV so heaps of room if she doesnt want to go all the way with you on the bike

let me know big fella

yeah mate. I reckon Ange will be wanting to switch from bike to car at most stops and then back again... but we'll see how it goes! We managed to get her leather pants to stretch a bit on tuesday night (hot water + instant ride on the bike works wonders) so it hopefully will be better than usual for her. Cheers for the offer

cowpoos
5th February 2005, 21:05
hoon is the only one that replied with what to do!!!!

more weight = need more preload

read this..... http://www.bikepoint.co.nz/portal/alias__bikepointnz/tabID__5779/BikeTipType__Setup/DesktopDefault.aspx .....all bikers should know how to do this,its the basics but a must for any bike.

if u need further explaining ask me some q's

toads
10th February 2005, 21:27
cheers wt.

Looking forward to seeing you guys again, hopefully we can swing it with the kids etc