PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Harley-Davidson fxdf Fat Bob

TrooperHarley
4th October 2007, 06:21
I have just ordered one of the Fat Bobs allocated to New Zealand. I saw one in Washington DC last week - it is a massive beast! I would be interested in anyone's views, especially from anyone who has ridden it somewhere.

Toaster
4th October 2007, 20:46
I have just ordered one of the six Fat Boys allocated to New Zealand. I saw one in Washington DC last week - it is a massive beast! I would be interested in anyone's views, especially from anyone who has ridden it somewhere.

I am sure we all would love to see some pics of the bike :cool:

TrooperHarley
5th October 2007, 02:32
This is the beast. I have ordered it in the red colour, with mid-controls (as on the black bike).

ZeroIndex
5th October 2007, 02:50
This is the beast. I have ordered it in the red colour, with mid-controls (as on the black bike).

Wow... I have to say, that does actually look like quite an impressive bike :)

White trash
5th October 2007, 04:13
I have just ordered one of the six Fat Boys allocated to New Zealand. I saw one in Washington DC last week - it is a massive beast! I would be interested in anyone's views, especially from anyone who has ridden it somewhere.

That aint a Fatboy. A Fatboy is an FLSTF, that's a Fat BOB. And there's more than six coming. Nice bike though, congrats :D

TrooperHarley
5th October 2007, 04:30
Well spotted. You are quite right - I meant to say Fat Bob. You'd think I'd know what I've just bought, wouldn't you! I have corrected the initial message. Thanks.

White trash
5th October 2007, 04:50
Bro, if I was getting a bike like that I'd be that stoked, I'd be forgetting all sorts of shit :D

TrooperHarley
5th October 2007, 05:30
Yes indeed. Having to wait for it until February or even April next year is a real pain!

peasea
5th October 2007, 06:27
Yes indeed. Having to wait for it until February or even April next year is a real pain!

Very cool. Hope it doesn't turn up too late to catch the summer.
Well done that man.

scumdog
5th October 2007, 07:17
Looks OK - for a Harley.:whistle:

Tank
5th October 2007, 09:37
I saw one in Florida - had several people at the curb pouring over it saying what a bloody cool bike it was. Better get used to that reaction soon.

Bloody Awesome. Wanna swap for a GN250 and $200 your way?

C

selectedgrub
5th October 2007, 17:21
Cookie cutter RUB's ride...

popelli
6th October 2007, 05:00

looks like they have raided the parts shed and come out with a 78 header pipe system

nice color though

The Lone Rider
7th October 2007, 14:16
I have the 2008 catalog in front of me. Quite like the look of the XL1200N, FXCWC, FXDL, and of course the VRSCDX and SE Dyna

Not that I can afford one short of finance

07fatboy
13th October 2007, 02:13
Good choice mate...geez I ordered august and wont see mine til april08 hope you get yours in the first phase to give us a review...we get to demo the bikes in january when the local stealer gets his allocated 6 bikes...3 demos and 3 customer bikes....stay safe

peasea
13th October 2007, 21:57

Better that than a bus ticket I guess.

scumdog
14th October 2007, 08:20

So when ya getting one???

selectedgrub
17th October 2007, 18:12
Yeah,
Maybe I'll trade down from my current sled...

martybabe
28th October 2007, 18:08
should be getting mine,fatbob that is,next week. I'll let you know how it scoots.never bought a bike from a picture before,could be a right dog.nah? I'll post back if and when it comes to daddy.

ratusratus
4th November 2007, 09:35
fatbob in anza looks fuckin nice!
ive got me a road robert ordered [street bob] gets here in december:)

chanceyy
4th November 2007, 09:39
fatbob in anza looks fuckin nice!
ive got me a road robert ordered [street bob] gets here in december:)

so then you might join the Manawatu crowd on a ride or two perhaps ?? :msn-wink::niceone::devil2: dunna matter wot you ride always welcome for sure :D

ratusratus
4th November 2007, 10:01
yea might do get free membership!!

martybabe
8th November 2007, 20:34
the obese robert (fatbob) to which you alude(anzas fuckin nice one) is now in my possesion and it is gorgeous in a kind of staffy dog ugly kinda way. looks and sounds great but I'm to inibriated to take it out now but tommorrow the roads are mine! in a runnin it in styley.good luck with the streety,rode one last year and it was quicker stock than my stage 3+ softail.nice.

Headbanger
8th November 2007, 23:19
Are you saying a stock 1450 was faster then your fully worked Softail?

martybabe
9th November 2007, 10:48
ermmm......no I'm saying it was quicker of the line and far more nimble and agile,so in a blat across town my money would be on the streety.In a quater mile drag second gear on it wuda ate my piston rings.actualy the sbob was the first 6 speeder wasn't it?,maybe closer gear ratios helped launch it for'ad?It don't matter,horses for courses init.an R6 wuda pissed on both but the rider would have needed traction after 20k and his bike would be worth about $200 now.

Headbanger
9th November 2007, 11:07
Dunno mate, But 65HP stock, Should have been eaten by a bike with even a mild workover, Whats a stage 3 bike good for 100HP?

martybabe
9th November 2007, 11:35
Back to my fatboble.I'll try and keep it brief.front ends a bit bouncy,front brakes are sad but they gota bed in yet I hope,my foot keeps blowing off the right foot peg,mid mounters might have been better and the wind blast off the front is playing havoc with me beard.Now the good news.It hoons along pretty good,it feels very solid under me ass,riding position is cool,it sounds and looks sweet but the most startling news is despite its measly 4.something inch ground clearance,it goes round corners realy well?. I'm tellin ya it does the twisties sweet as,plenty of lean angle,solid and predictable.ok its got its limits its a big bus but I'm well impressed.no more american footboard scrapings on the road for me matey.woohoo I love it.enjoy yours those 'on order' people.right, parts catalogue...seat for her size ass,big bore kit, ooh look at them shiney things.

martybabe
9th November 2007, 11:40
yeah they reckon mine was 90-100bhp,had the cams done as well but its such a big lump of iron to shift from zero to not zero init.

jrandom
20th November 2007, 15:09
... an R6 wuda pissed on both but the rider would have needed traction after 20k and his bike would be worth about $200 now.

OK, this is what gets me. HD owners always go on about how their bikes don't devalue.

Granted, if this is the case, it's because the Motor Company is artificially holding back production so that waiting months for your new HD is accepted practice. If one of the Japanese manufacturers tried that shit on, they'd be out of business in weeks.

However, still, I wonder. Does one really not lose much money on a new HD? They're expensive big lumps at $30-$50K a pop. Is the fact that you can always buy a second-hand HD now, instead of however many months after you pay, the only reason they sell on for close to their original retail price, or am I missing something?

Or is it all bullshit generated by HD's marketing department, and would anyone buying a new HD and expecting it not to depreciate in the usual fashion be in for a rude awakening if they tried to turn it back into cash in a hurry?

HenryDorsetCase
20th November 2007, 15:16
my brother in law has one on order as well. I am looking ofrward to blagging a ride. I have never ridden an HD of any sort, so I am of course qualified to have all sorts of opinions about them.....

martybabe
21st November 2007, 06:54
OK, this is what gets me. HD owners always go on about how their bikes don't devalue.

Granted, if this is the case, it's because the Motor Company is artificially holding back production so that waiting months for your new HD is accepted practice. If one of the Japanese manufacturers tried that shit on, they'd be out of business in weeks.

However, still, I wonder. Does one really not lose much money on a new HD? They're expensive big lumps at $30-$50K a pop. Is the fact that you can always buy a second-hand HD now, instead of however many months after you pay, the only reason they sell on for close to their original retail price, or am I missing something?

Or is it all bullshit generated by HD's marketing department, and would anyone buying a new HD and expecting it not to depreciate in the usual fashion be in for a rude awakening if they tried to turn it back into cash in a hurry?:blink:No it really is true,bought my last one for 9,750 pounds from a dealer in 2004,sold it private with 8,000 miles on it in mid 2007 for 8,900 pounds.Thats 3 years riddin for 850 quid erm about $2000.that is a real good depreciation value,one of the best in the motoring world I should think.I didn't buy a harley because of that but i'd sure as hell buy one another one on the back of it.I've managed to get me claws on a new new model and would expect to be able to sell it next year for roughly what I paid for it,cause you can't get em.Get your hands on a rocker and you could sell it for more than you paid no problem,at least until production catches up next year.better still buy one in the usa at their stupid prices,ride it here for five years,flog it in nz and you'll still get what it cost ya.oh no you got all that import bollocks :blink::blink:I guess its the old supply and demand thingy ,how much for a new b-king or v-max,as much as you want till everone can get em:chase:

Cylon
19th February 2008, 12:20
Yeah Ive got one ordered,get it next month 5 months earlier than first told.Havnt ridden one but have an 08 dyna custom.wont be to much different,they are having probs with exhaust scraping.its about 35 ml lower than my FXDC

Finn
19th February 2008, 12:23

They all look the same anyway. :whistle:

SilverGrin
19th February 2008, 18:27
There's an article on the Fatbob in the latest Kiwirider magazine.
Interesting write-up and if I had the money and the patience to wait a year, I would definitely be buying one.

I guess I'll have to put up with an 08 Superglide in April when we refinance the mortgage.

martybabe
19th February 2008, 21:57
Interesting write-up and if I had the money and the patience to wait a year, I would definitely be buying one.

I guess I'll have to put up with an 08 Superglide in April when we refinance the mortgage.

It's not a question of puttin up with it SG, the super is a cracking bike and the bargin of the bunch, you'll love it. :niceone:

Bonez
20th February 2008, 14:57
yea might do get free membership!!I think chancey ment the odd local KB ride. Contry to popular belief we don't bite. Well, everyone but cowboyz...............

Bambam
3rd March 2008, 17:22
Hey Tropper

Well done. I am looking to get a bike soon and love the look of the fatbob. Most harleys to me a clutterd and cutomised to death. This is the only on ethat really does it for me. Good work. How many coming to nz??

TrooperHarley
3rd March 2008, 17:27
Wellington M/C told me last year that mine was one of a batch of four coming to them. No idea about other dealers.

Big Dave
3rd March 2008, 18:42

I know the bloke that wrote it. :rockon:

It's on my web site now and a few more pics too.

The Lone Rider
3rd March 2008, 20:47
I know the bloke that wrote it. :rockon:

LOL

you are a laugh Dave :P

scumdog
4th March 2008, 00:09
It's not a question of puttin up with it SG, the super is a cracking bike and the bargin of the bunch, you'll love it. :niceone:

I agree - from what I've seen/know they have the best ground-clearance, comfortable over long distances, look good and seem more than fairly priced.

mudfish911
8th March 2008, 16:48
3rd on the list at ANZA for the '09 allocation, don't know how long the wait will be, but I sure hope it is worth it. Still wanting to see one 'in the flesh'

SilverGrin
9th March 2008, 11:14
It's funny how things work out. While I was in the shop with the intention of setting up purchasing a SuperGlide, I spied a brand new StreetBob with a nice maroon matte finish and, well, wanted it.

The missus thought it was pretty sexy too, so it looks like Robert is going to be the new addition to the family here.

Just before I go down to shake the dudes hand, I was hoping to get a little feedback from any Bob owners, as test rides can only reveal so much...

Cherryrob
9th March 2008, 20:16
KTL motorcycles in Auckland have a shipment of new bikes coming from the states.Container arrives very soon and there is 2 FATBOBS ... No body has there name on them yet ,so give Kerry Jeffs a ring on 021765912 to secure a "first right of refusal".Hes a good guy and supplied /sponsor's Drew and Flame on there racing Ducati 749r's.So he is worth supporting... :Oops: off topic:whocares: Not to mention the 848s and the HD Rocker

TrooperHarley
1st April 2008, 20:21
I picked up my Fat Bob in Wellington on Saturday and rode it home just ahead of the rain - that hasn't stopped since! Great bike!

pritch
2nd April 2008, 20:30
rode it home just ahead of the rain - that hasn't stopped since!

That's how it works, last two new bikes I bought both broke droughts.
Buying a new bike is a more powerful rainmaker than planning a barbecue.

Cylon
6th April 2008, 09:26
Ive just got mine,done 1100km first week,just love it,best harley Ive owned..

TrooperHarley
8th April 2008, 20:04
I've had my Fat Bob for a week now. I have read a lot of positive and negative comments about the beast, so I thought you might like to hear how I find it so far. It is my first Harley-Davidson, and also the largest bike by far that I have ever ridden, so I was a little apprehensive about climbing aboard. My fears so far have proven to be groundless - it is a real pleasure to ride. It handles very well (the weight is not noticeable), the seat position (with mid controls) is very comfortable, the brakes are fine (my last bike had one disc brake, so I am very impressed with he stopping power of three discs), and the finish is excellent.

TrooperHarley
10th April 2008, 19:58
Here is a picture of my new Fat Bob.

scumdog
10th April 2008, 20:06
VERY very nice!!

Cool scoot, I'm jealous, you lucky bugger.

SilverGrin
10th April 2008, 22:51
Very nice :niceone:

chubby
11th April 2008, 08:51
Trooper
Remember its not what others think but how you feel. Public acceptance is one thing, and its nice to get but how do you feel knowing your going to get a ride (bike people, bike).

I saw my first fatbob the other day and yes its a beautiful bike.

For me I went with the fat boy as I like the big front end (we all see something different and isn't it great to have choice). Forward boards took a little to get used to but they give a very cruiser feel and attitude. Something you may consider?????? Like you it was the biggest bike I have ridden but the weight isn't an issue she just purrs along.

Good luck with your ride. :niceone:

firecrab
11th April 2008, 11:28
The Fatbob is my favourite Dyna! Good choice bro! The front end is beautiful! Any plans for meds / customizations? I'd definitely start with a stage I SE airfilter and a race fueler ... ;)

TrooperHarley
12th April 2008, 16:49
No mods contemplated at the moment - I'm very happy with Bob as he is!

Ange!
17th April 2008, 18:41
Yep Been Watchin your progress towards new bike, partner ordered his Fatbob in Nov and picks it up tomorrow. Smoked lenses n screamin eagle exhaust n air cleaner n pipes opened a little. Think my fun of out runnin his 94
Roadie with my sporty is about to end! Boohoo!! - mind you it might be a case of first home gets the fastest bike.

Toaster
17th April 2008, 19:43
Nice bike, great colour!

judgeshock
10th May 2008, 18:00
I rode one of these the other day and all I can see is that these bikes are certainly fantastic bang for buck.

The riding position, feel of the bike and just about everything on the bike Harley has exceeded themselves.

Certainly if I was in a position to own one I would.:Punk: