PDA

View Full Version : wtb - 250cc road bike

MrMelon
24th July 2003, 11:56
I've just sold my car, so I'm after a 250cc road bike to get the hang of things on.

Does anyone have anything that would be good to get the hang of bikes on, lying around for $2k or less?

I've been looking for something like a cbr/zxr/nsr/rgv 250. It doesn't have to be perfect cosmetically, but I'd like it to be mechanically sound.

I'm in wellington, but i'll probably come up to auckland next weekend to have a look around up there.

Cheers.

wkid_one
24th July 2003, 12:45
Don't Let Rubber Shredder or KwakaDude see this thread.....

Friend of mine just bought a ZXR250 - absolutely mint - paid $3400 for it....nice bike.  The CBR250RR is a nice bike also....

Glad to see someone converting to bikes.  I am in Wellington when you feel like hooking up for a ride....

Hoon
24th July 2003, 16:33
Your best bet would be to keep an eye on the Trade & Exchange every week - don't have to buy it, just quickly read the bike section in the shop and put it back if nothing catches your eye.

Less than $2K is on the cheap end though so will probably be something wrong with it that needs fixing.  Getting the good deals is really the difference between spotting one that is cheap to fix as opposed to one that is not.

MikeL
24th July 2003, 20:17
Does it have to be a 250 (restricted licence)? I might be persuaded to part with my beloved CB-1/400: it would be perfect for you. Excellent condition mechanically, almost new rubber, easy to ride but not boring. I'd want a bit more than $2k for it, though... :D

MrMelon
24th July 2003, 22:04
Unfortunately it needs to be a 250.. I'm on my learners for another month... I'll try and have a look around the bike shops here tomorrow and ride some bikes and see what I like.. really need to find a place with an rgv250 though.

aff-man
28th July 2003, 10:11
for 2k that might be pushing it i  have seen one at mt eden though if you want a "test drive" i am trying to sell my vt250 but if you willing to spend a bit more coldkiwi has a mint condition zxr250 and although a bit old i can vouch for it's mintness and it does get up and go.

SPman
28th July 2003, 10:42
Has CK sold his ZXR250 yet?

aff-man
28th July 2003, 11:20
wasn't sold last week

Coldkiwi
28th July 2003, 12:25
nope.. she's in Mt eden M/C's getting checked/tuned up this week before going on the show room floor to be sold.

certainly taking offers of interest !

MrMelon
28th July 2003, 18:19
Cheers guys,

How much are you after for your zxr250 CK?

It'd be a bit of a bitch for my first >20 min ride to be akl to welly tho :O

Redstar
28th July 2003, 21:14
What about a brand new Suzuki gsx250? 6,500 ish new warranty
or a boreing if capable TU250?
The trouble with second hand 250's is some other learner has thrashed the little mill within an inch of its life.
very few really tidy zxrs to be had? saw a Kawa KRAS 250 today looks like ZXR?

MrMelon
29th July 2003, 11:43
I really don't want to pay any more than $2.5-3k for a first bike, because it's more than likely to get put down at some point, which is why I don't really mind about the cosmetic condition of it, as long as it's fine mechanically.

Once I get the hang of it and get my confidence up a bit more I'll get something bigger and faster, but for now i'll probably keep and eye out for a 4 stroke 250.. it's just really annoying that it seems there are no 4 stroke 250's for reasonable prices in wellington at the moment :(

Coldkiwi
29th July 2003, 13:00
my ZXR 250 is going for around 2,700 but its negotiable.

redstar.. the KRAS decal is just short for Kawasaki Ram Air System... bit of a gimmick on the ZXR 250's given the convulted route the air takes to the inbox but its just a standard gimmick acronym... like KCAS, SACS and so many others. the ZXR 250's do have a KRAS decal below the wind screen (or is it below the join of the nose and side fairings?) so thats what it would've been.

onewheel
25th February 2004, 09:44
I've just sold my car, so I'm after a 250cc road bike to get the hang of things on.

Does anyone have anything that would be good to get the hang of bikes on, lying around for $2k or less?

I've been looking for something like a cbr/zxr/nsr/rgv 250. It doesn't have to be perfect cosmetically, but I'd like it to be mechanically sound.

I'm in wellington, but i'll probably come up to auckland next weekend to have a look around up there.

Cheers.

Ill sell ya my Suzuki 1990 RGV250L for $2500 good little bike jsut had a full service a week ago.

get back to me.

White trash
25th February 2004, 09:53
Ill sell ya my Suzuki 1990 RGV250L for $2500 good little bike jsut had a full service a week ago.

get back to me.

Umm................ this thread's 6 months old man.

Think he's already got a bike judging by his profile. Sorry :D

onewheel
25th February 2004, 09:56
Umm................ this thread's 6 months old man.

Think he's already got a bike judging by his profile. Sorry :D

fuck, not my day then