PDA

View Full Version : rgv500 engine in rs250

martin987
5th October 2007, 02:43
is it possible to put an rgv500 in a rs250? Has anyone done this did it work?

White trash
5th October 2007, 04:06
Surely you're thinking of an RG500 motor? Christ knows where you'd get a RGV500 motor from.

I'm sure it's possible. Rodders has probably the nicest RGV/500 I've ever clapped eyes on, he'd be the man that'd know.

martin987
5th October 2007, 04:27
Surely you're thinking of an RG500 motor? Christ knows where you'd get a RGV500 motor from.

I'm sure it's possible. Rodders has probably the nicest RGV/500 I've ever clapped eyes on, he'd be the man that'd know.

After I wrote this I realised that RGV500 was the GP bike and RG500 was production.

It's a good idea in theory, but finding an rg500 motor that is in good condition would probably be quite tricky in practice. I'd like more hp, but seeing as my rs250 has less than 10,000ks on it I don't know if I'm that keen on swapping engine for old tired one, even if I did get more hp on it.

White trash
5th October 2007, 04:53
And it probably wouldn't handle quite as well, plus there'd be a lot of teething problems and shit to sort out.

I notice there's still the odd good RG400 coming outta Japan, not sure how much work is involved to turn it into a 500. One of my dream bikes is still a 500 powered RGV.

Blackbird
5th October 2007, 05:58
Saw an article 2 or 3 years ago on this very thing in Performance Bikes mag. Yes, it is possible but a huge amount of work is involved. PB might be able to help you with the back copy if you contact them. I seem to remember that it was painted in Lucky Strike colours.

martin987
5th October 2007, 06:23
Basically i want to soup up rs250 so that it will take on a triumph daytona. Thanks for performance bike idea. Anyone got any other tips like turbo/supercharge/fuel injection or would rg500 idea be best?

Grahameeboy
5th October 2007, 06:46
Basically i want to soup up rs250 so that it will take on a triumph daytona. Thanks for performance bike idea. Anyone got any other tips like turbo/supercharge/fuel injection or would rg500 idea be best?

Put an RD350YPVS engine in it??

Blackbird
5th October 2007, 07:03

Supercharge/turbo a 2 stroke???????

SimJen
5th October 2007, 07:07
get yourself a copy of Rapid (aussie mag) they are putting a new Aprilia V-Twin 550 in one. Lots of work, but makes an interesting read. They're just getting into the nitty gritty.

martin987
5th October 2007, 07:27
get yourself a copy of Rapid (aussie mag) they are putting a new Aprilia V-Twin 550 in one. Lots of work, but makes an interesting read. They're just getting into the nitty gritty.

Do you mean the off-road RXV550? What sort of power does it put out?

CBobR
5th October 2007, 07:33
There's a few that have been done.

Here's a very good write-up:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sol_ntl/index.htm

Some neat 2 stroke stuff in the "mags" section of that link too (example attached)

There was a RG500 engined RGV250 on trademe a couple of years back also.

SimJen
5th October 2007, 08:00
Do you mean the off-road RXV550? What sort of power does it put out?

Yep, not just off road though its also used in Supermotard.
Puts out 60+hp, but masses of torque. It'll be quicker than the stock two stroke.
If all you want to do is beat a bigger bike, go to some twisties and kick his ass around corners. You'll never compete with a big bore bike in a straight line!

scracha
5th October 2007, 09:18
Saw an article 2 or 3 years ago on this very thing in Performance Bikes mag. Yes, it is possible but a huge amount of work is involved. PB might be able to help you with the back copy if you contact them. I seem to remember that it was painted in Lucky Strike colours.

Yep. I remember this too. Guy had put insane amounts of work into it. Did Cagiva ever bring out the 500cc 2 smoke?

SimJen
5th October 2007, 09:39
I still have that copy somewhere, also there was a RGV250 with a RD motor that looked mint in the last of the 500cc Blue white suzuki colours.

F5 Dave
5th October 2007, 10:55
My dear sir, you need to visit us over in the RGV forum. Here you will find a section on Hybrid bikes here (http://www.rgv250.co.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=25) which includes RS250s & what people put in them & RGVs etc. RG500s are popular into RGVs. Cranks are ~ $1500 ea which may sway your decision. This type of project bears some investigation before you start. Don't just add the value of the two parts & assume that is all it will cost & the months work it will take. I'd say most projects never get finished.

Also you may find the delectable David Attenborough special thread about a Cheetah RZ350 taken to 500 & it's progress. Built by a very talented (& some would say sexy in a manly non ghey way) Kiwi under the nomenclature of 'F5'.

:rolleyes:

F5 Dave
5th October 2007, 11:01
. . .
Early morning break in to Manor Shwantz?

pritch
5th October 2007, 16:41
Anyone got any other tips like turbo/supercharge/fuel injection or would rg500 idea be best?

Ummm don't want to discourage somebody who is dead keen, but is that a bike you're building or a grenade? :sherlock:

Drew
5th October 2007, 17:46
Supercharge/turbo a 2 stroke???????

It can be done, but so much fucking around to keep the fuel mixture right is required, it would become just a huge pain in the arse.