PDA

View Full Version : jrandom down (again...)

jrandom
14th October 2004, 08:51
NW motorway this morning, just before Newton offramp. Filter into middle of second-from-right lane (thereby actually getting into a vaguely legal and proper road position, for once).

Driver in right-hand lane pulls across in front very shortly thereafter. Bit of a speed delta.

Grab some front brake.

"I'm doing a stoppie! I'm doing a stoppie!"

Greasy road, front wheel locks.

Superman.

Bike does a forward flip, I bounce off his boot lid and come to rest. Nobody drives over me, for which I'm profoundly grateful.

Hobble to side of motorway, catch breath, curse Transit for putting up pointless barriers and leaving me with about six inches of 'shoulder'.

Get bike across three lanes of traffic, back to six-inch shoulder, huff, puff, engine eventually starts. Brakes not stuck, nothing pissing oil. Good. Nurse it over the bridge and into work. Front wheel and forks appear fine. "Have to post to KB about this one...". Blag some Nurofen off the VP's PA. Blessed drugs. My back and knees are killing me.

I'm going to the pub at lunchtime. Then I'm going to actually have a look at my bike, and then I'm hobbling up the road to see the nice man at Atomic Wreckers. They have a good turnover of FXR parts.

Devil
14th October 2004, 08:55
:(
Glad you're still in one piece.

vifferman
14th October 2004, 08:55
What can I say, JR? Bad luck? Damned Biker Gods/Demons? Ouch? :spudwhat:

Hope you don't have any hidden damge to either you or your bike, and I'm glad it wasn't seriouser.

manuboy
14th October 2004, 09:00
Aww.... sorry to hear about that man. Whose fault actually was it?

How did the "other" guy react???

How long did it take you to transition from the rear wheel to the stoppie???

Any chance you could install a camera on ya bike so i can remind myself why riding in Auckland probably is still a bit of a gamble????

jrandom
14th October 2004, 09:05
Aww.... sorry to hear about that man. Whose fault actually was it?

If we're going to be precise, it was his fault. Immediately prior, I was travelling entirely within the middle lane. He pulled out without indicating correctly or checking for a clear space. I won't comment on his ethnicity, but I'm sure you can guess...

How did the "other" guy react???

He was very apologetic and helpful. I'm not going to make life difficult for him. These are the breaks. I should have been taking it easier this morning.

How long did it take you to transition from the rear wheel to the stoppie???

About 4 seconds between him pulling out in front of me and my head ricocheting off his boot lid.

Kudos to Shoei, by the way. I didn't feel a thing.

Joni
14th October 2004, 09:20
Hmm, JR the North Western in the morning is never a friendly environment. Glad you came away still relatively unhurt.

Take care.

750Y
14th October 2004, 09:21
dayum bud! glad you're ok JR.

k14
14th October 2004, 09:35
Damn that sucks man. Hope you get your bike fixed up sweet from the other guys insurance.

manuboy
14th October 2004, 09:39

Owwww... did the Shoei impact - will you fork for a new helmet?

Or is it a case of dust it off .....

Not a great way to start your day, but at least it was low speed and you're okay - you'll be back on it in no time... well you already are... bet you've still got the shakes tho....

Dr Bob
14th October 2004, 09:39
Sorry to hear about the damage to the bike, I'm sure you are more than happy about the shape of your head (self proclaimed "melon head") as this must have absorbed most of the impact. The wife phoned me this morning saying that she had seen a motocyclist off this morning on the way to work, it must have been you - unless there were several. Although she couldn't give me any specifics about what you looked like, except that it was a m_o_t_o_r_c_y_c_l_e - she couldn't even tell me the colour. But she did tell me you were hobbling. Give me a ring at work I'll drop some more books off to you so you can sit up and rest.

James Deuce
14th October 2004, 09:41
No no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

Bugger.

Time for new helmet though.

SPman
14th October 2004, 09:47
Ha Ha! :laugh:

No...glad your're OK (sort of) She was a bit greasy out there tis morning!

thehollowmen
14th October 2004, 09:59
glad to hear you're ok, could have been a lot worse and we like ya.. please take care of yourself.
Hope the bike is ok too.

With all this superman experiance you're getting you should write an article on how to fall without injuring yourself.. is it like skiing where you're supposed to just go limp?

FROSTY
14th October 2004, 10:06
was that you on the NW about 8.40
I think I overtook ya on my zxr this morning. -Shit it coulda been a 2 bike pileup--Im glad I split over to the left lane

jrandom
14th October 2004, 10:08
The wife phoned me this morning saying that she had seen a motocyclist off this morning on the way to work, it must have been you - unless there were several... she did tell me you were hobbling.

Probably me. Did she actually see the event itself, in all its acrobatic splendour? It probably looked much less impressive than it felt.

Give me a ring at work I'll drop some more books off to you so you can sit up and rest.

Very kind of you, but I'm sure I'll be able to make it round this weekend to drop the old 'uns off and get a new selection. I'm quite mobile. Just hurty. :o

Oh yes, and I know I should buy a new helmet. I will most likely have to retain the current one for a month or two, though. I'll just have to try and land on a different part of my melon, next time...

jrandom
14th October 2004, 10:10
was that you on the NW about 8.40
I think I overtook ya on my zxr this morning. -Shit it coulda been a 2 bike pileup--Im glad I split over to the left lane

Yup, that was me.

Frosty, if I ever need someone to crash with, rest assured you'll be first on my list to call...

Motoracer
14th October 2004, 10:21
Sorry to hear about it man. :(

Give me a ring if you want help with the bike and shit.

Zapf
14th October 2004, 10:23
If we're going to be precise, it was his fault. Immediately prior, I was travelling entirely within the middle lane. He pulled out without indicating correctly or checking for a clear space. I won't comment on his ethnicity, but I'm sure you can guess...

He was very apologetic and helpful. I'm not going to make life difficult for him. These are the breaks. I should have been taking it easier this morning.

About 4 seconds between him pulling out in front of me and my head ricocheting off his boot lid.

stupid asian drivers :whistle: :mad:

Marmoot
14th October 2004, 10:28
I won't comment on his ethnicity, but I'm sure you can guess...

what the fuck?!

MikeL
14th October 2004, 10:32
I would add my voice to the chorus of sympathy except that I feel congratulations rather than commiserations are in order. No broken bones, a rideable bike (albeit I imagine a bit scratched) - we all should be so lucky. Buy a Lotto ticket! Hope the pain and discomfort are brief...

jrandom
14th October 2004, 10:35
what the fuck?!

This morning, I experienced a certain amount of personal pain and material damage to my vehicle following ill-advised actions by another driver, who fitted a common ethnic stereotype often associated with bad driving.

Take from that what you will. I make no assertions. And I'm not in a mood, right now, to argue or take crap from anyone. Note that I haven't exactly been ranting about how it was the other guy's fault. I didn't even comment on that subject until asked about it specifically.

manuboy
14th October 2004, 10:36
I'm just sitting here gazin out at the lovely sunny blue sky (a vista only spoiled by the odd glass tower), and i started wondering about that 6 degress of seperation thing...

Anybody clear up how that works at all? Cos like if it doesn't have to be a mate, just an "aqaintance", then i can probably link to some asian guy(?) that knocked JR off this morning.

Like thru any of the KB'rs who've been to a rally or sumfink that have met nth island kbers that have met JR...

Next step.... V Rossi !!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!

manuboy
14th October 2004, 10:39
This morning, I experienced a certain amount of personal pain and material damage to my vehicle following ill-advised actions by another driver, who fitted a common ethnic stereotype often associated with bad driving.

Take from that what you will. I make no assertions. And I'm not in a mood, right now, to argue or take crap from anyone. Note that I haven't exactly been ranting about how it was the other guy's fault. I didn't even comment on that subject until asked about it specifically.

Steriotypes are like cliches - they exist for a reason.

Well said dude. You've been diplomatic i reckon. Not that we wanna start the great debate.... any driver that puts you at risk like that should be up for a little abuse.

jrandom
14th October 2004, 10:41
No broken bones, a rideable bike (albeit I imagine a bit scratched) - we all should be so lucky. Buy a Lotto ticket! Hope the pain and discomfort are brief...

Yes, not bad, eh? My mental visualisation exercises of that precise situation seem to have paid off. I decided long ago that it would be better to go down with a locked front wheel than slam into the back or side of a car, and I reacted exactly how I'd wanted to. I think the consequences bear out my thinking on the matter.

The bike doesn't look too bad, really. The most interesting part is the way the front is scratched and bent, and then the rear grabrail's broken off and the tail and pillion seat are a bit ground away, but nothing else (apart from the right footpeg and end can) has been much hurt.

The forward flip must have looked quite impressive.

Marmoot
14th October 2004, 10:44
oh right.....when we drive nicely, we're just doing what we're supposed to do.
When we fuck up once, we're the cause of all NZ's problems.

Well, Jrandom, fuck you. Looking at your previous lanesplitting posts I think you fully deserve what happened.

jrandom
14th October 2004, 10:48
oh right.....when we drive nicely, we're just doing what we're supposed to do.
When we fuck up once, we're the cause of all NZ's problems.

No, when you f*ck up, you're the cause of one specific problem. The one that gets caused by that particular f*ck-up. Take a reality pill. Nobody's dissing you.

Well, Jrandom, fuck you. Looking at your previous lanesplitting posts I think you fully deserve what happened.

The funny thing was, I wasn't lanesplitting at the time. I'd just rejoined a lane. If I'd been lanesplitting and he'd pulled over, I could have just gone around him. Done it before. But I could indeed have been taking it easier. Fault is very rarely entirely one-sided.

Oh yeah, and f*ck you too, you whinging, fatalistic little prick.

riffer
14th October 2004, 10:58
Ouch. Sorry to hear about the bin jr.

It's never great to fall off in the traffic. I must admit that, even though technically I'd finished lanesplitting when I had the idiot pull out in front of me, causing a similar crash to yours, people still believe (my good lady wife included) that it was because I was lanesplitting and I got what I deserve.

Glad to hear you're mostly okay. You know the regimen I guess - arnica, voltaren, no bending over to change the kids nappies, etc :cool:

Oh, and marmoot, chill out buddy...

Yokai
14th October 2004, 11:15
If we're going to be precise, it was his fault.

AND:

I should have been taking it easier this morning.

So frankly Marmoot - please read before reacting ...

Yeah, well - where there's no sense there's no feeling as my mum used to say
:lol:

Yokai

aff-man
14th October 2004, 11:26
hahahahahahahaha well glad to hear your not in to bad shape. Pity about the situation though. As to parts you're on the money with the amunt of newbee's binning thier fxr's there are bound to be heaps of parts out there. :killingme . Good to see you analysed the situation and are over it just go get some :beer: :beer: it'll make all things right again

Yokai
14th October 2004, 11:32
Just a note of caution for all out there - Alcohol prevents healing. If you want to heal, don't drink. Course it also relaxes muscles, allows you to laugh about the incident and generally eases the pain* so your call.

Yokai

*Oh - it is felt by some Drs that the pain that is felt after an injury is in fact longer lasting but of lower intensity if you drink. *shrug* waddooeyeno

/me gets :doctor: for JRandom

Rocket
14th October 2004, 11:33
Hey bro i saw you this morning must of been after the crash because i saw your bike resting against the left hand shoulder and you walking around your bike, i would of stopped but there is no shoulder there and i would of held my fucking lane up for about 10 minutes, NOT GOOD.

Glad everythings sweet. You dont work by ihug do you?

Blakamin
14th October 2004, 11:43
Holy Shit, JR!... hope you and the bike stop hobbling ASAP!

get a helmet now!

Hitcher
14th October 2004, 11:43
Bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger!

You silly bunt!

Sic transit gloria mundi (the illness will pass and you'll feel better by Monday)

StoneChucker
14th October 2004, 11:49
That is bad news, hope you and the bike get sorted soon. Biker Gods, take your share before summer (PS: I think you've had your share by now, so sod off!)

Dave.

erik
14th October 2004, 11:50
Aww man, sorry to hear that. That bit of motorway from the western springs on-ramp to the southern motorway off-ramp is totally nuts in the mornings with people changing lanes going faster in the middle and outside lane, and at a standstill in the lane going to the southern motorway. Since I'm going into the city, I generally stay in the fast lane because the flow is more consistent and there are less people moving in and out of it. I went through there at about 7:40am today.

It must've looked impressive though, doing a stoppie and flipping it :)

jrandom
14th October 2004, 11:58
It must've looked impressive though, doing a stoppie and flipping it :)

I hope so. Maybe someone had a good story to tell when they got into work this morning.

It's slightly strange, looking at a bike lying neatly in the middle of the lane, pointing back toward the oncoming traffic.

vifferman
14th October 2004, 12:03
I hope so. Maybe someone had a good story to tell when they got into work this morning.

It's slightly strange, looking at a bike lying neatly in the middle of the lane, pointing back toward the oncoming traffic.JR - you'e alive! Again. Still.
How was the luncheontime boozing, or have you not done that yet?

I wrote a really really funny version of your crash (the compleat and unabridged story) before noontime, but the machine logged me out, and it got lost. (Prolly just as well given your "I'm in no mood to take your shit, buddy" line of reply before that. :Oops: )

Coldkiwi
14th October 2004, 12:04
damn - the lane splitting guru got taken down! Sorry to hear it J. I shall try and calm my own activities too for the next little while so we don't have another KB-threepeat of spills. In all honesty mate, if you really want to make safer headway through the cages, you want to be on something with better brakes than the FXR. Upgrading to the GSXR made me feel a LOT safer about quick stopping than any of my previous bikes.

Incidentally, when I see a stupid piece of driving occur in front of me, I've made a habit of looking at the driver when i go past. Yes, sometimes its Asian people, but its often indians, polynesians and all sorts of others too. The latest one to have me gobsmacked (yesterday) was the old white fart in a silver people mover gassing on his cell phone changing lanes without indicating as he went through one of the busier bits of motorway at gilles on ramp!
AS for stupid riders... well, at least I know who one of them is! *rolls eyes to try and look at the back of my own head*

Coldkiwi
14th October 2004, 12:09

yeah.. the buggers who see the bin always have the more interesting stories! I bet a few people had some great stories when my gsxr did a piroute (sp? - ahh, who cares, its french! :p ) pulling out in front of them in December!
Why does no one have a video camera around when these things happen to us? (I hope this is not some sort of pre-emptive fate for MR and his video this w/e! take it easy mate!)

Mr Skid
14th October 2004, 12:13

It's slightly strange, looking at a bike lying neatly in the middle of the lane, pointing back toward the oncoming traffic.

I'm sure there will have been plenty of chat around the CBD's watercoolers about an arrogant biker hoon getting his just deserts after trying to stunt in rush hour traffic..

As for repairs dick smith have 20m rolls of gaffa for $5 at the moment :niceone:

Motu
14th October 2004, 12:18
Sorry to hear I ''missed'' you this morning jrandom,you should leave earlier somedays and we can have a chat as we pull your bike out from under the Pajero.You were bloody lucky to walk away with just a bad mood this morning,everyday life in the jungle breeds good reactions eh?

MikeL
14th October 2004, 12:25
It's probably just coincidence, but in the two years I've been commuting on a bike - and I've seen some pretty idiotic behaviour in that time - the two times when I've come closest to being taken out by a lane-changing cage have been in the last 3 days: on Manukau Rd just before the Greenwood corner lights on Monday and on the motorway just after the Gillies Ave on-ramp yesterday. Both in the morning. Come to think of it, most of the stupidity I've seen has been in the mornings. Are these people still half-asleep??
The second incident in particular left me a bit shaken.
However, I am pleased to demolish a cherished prejudice and report that in neither incident was ethnicity relevant...
JR I hope you're having at least the rest of the week off to recover from your injuries.

jrandom
14th October 2004, 12:28
JR - you'e alive! Again. Still.
How was the luncheontime boozing, or have you not done that yet?

Following Yokai's sage advice, I restricted myself to a single pint.

I wrote a really really funny version of your crash (the compleat and unabridged story) before noontime, but the machine logged me out, and it got lost. (Prolly just as well given your "I'm in no mood to take your shit, buddy" line of reply before that. :Oops: )

I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to reconstruct it... I don't mind people taking the piss. Anyone contemplating small-minded nastiness would do well to don their asbestos longjohns, however.

jrandom
14th October 2004, 12:37
Come to think of it, most of the stupidity I've seen has been in the mornings. Are these people still half-asleep??

All four of my proper crashes on the FXR in the last two years have been in the mornings. [Edit: no, I tell a lie. One was on the motorway, coming home about 6:30pm.]

I am pleased to demolish a cherished prejudice and report that in neither incident was ethnicity relevant...

I make no claims regarding the tired old ethnic stereotypes. It just so happened that this morning's event fitted one, which proves nothing.

One spot of luck was the absence of Highway Patrol officers during the time it took me to crash, recover, get the bike going and get into work. Things could have gotten a lot more expensive very quickly had one happened upon the scene, I suspect.

JR I hope you're having at least the rest of the week off to recover from your injuries.

Ho hum. I'll see how I feel in the morning.

AMPS
14th October 2004, 12:38
There's a moral there somewhere, get all law-abiding and bin it.

Lou

Ghost Lemur
14th October 2004, 12:50
Glad to hear you and bike are ok jr.

Yamahamaman
14th October 2004, 12:55
One spot of luck was the absence of Highway Patrol officers during the time it took me to crash, recover, get the bike going and get into work. Things could have gotten a lot more expensive very quickly had one happened upon the scene, I suspect.

In my experience, the Highway Patrol take the path of least resistance. In other words, you are more likley to find them travelling in the opposite direction of the peak hour flow of traffic.

Blakamin
14th October 2004, 13:05

You coulda been a star in Motorway Patrol!

jrandom
14th October 2004, 13:10
You coulda been a star in Motorway Patrol!

Wouldn't it have been cool if the in-car cam had caught me flying through the air?

I'd happily pay an $150 infringement notice for the privilege of having a tape of that episode...

Motoracer
14th October 2004, 13:14
Wouldn't it have been cool if the in-car cam had caught me flying through the air?
It would have made a nice avitar.

Marmoot
14th October 2004, 13:15
It just so happened that this morning's event fitted one, which proves nothing

Thank you, Jrandom, for clearing it up; although it would have been much better if it were not mentioned due to irrelevancy and non-causal aspect.
My life is hard enough with all these stereotyping going around (believe me you wouldn't have any clue unless maybe you ever been a white in Arab for a few years?) and it always pisses me off when I get one crossing my way.
I'm just another human and I want to be treated just like everybody else.
I had enough of hearing "f*cken asian driver" all the time and almost no "f*cken poly driver" or "f*cken blonde driver" at all when I well know they are not the only "f*cken drivers" around in this jaffaland, and thus it always brings me question of motivation when someone mention ethnicity unnecessarily in the event of a "f*cken driver" incident.
Face it....whether intentional or not, it does sound a bit unfair, does it?

But in the end, Jrandom, I apologize for my previous comment, especially the last one. I cannot blame that on I was having a bad day today, so I will say it now that I don't have anything else to say except I am sorry, man.

jrandom
14th October 2004, 13:15
It would have made a nice avitar.

I'm happy with my ego-stroking wheelie photo for the time being, TYVM <_<

Posh Tourer :P
14th October 2004, 13:23
then I'm hobbling up the road to see the nice man at Atomic Wreckers. They have a good turnover of FXR parts.

I wonder why? :D

Again.. I wonder why? :bleh:

jrandom
14th October 2004, 13:27
Thank you, Jrandom, for clearing it up; although it would have been much better if it were not mentioned due to irrelevancy and non-causal aspect.

Perhaps so. I intended no offense.

I'm just another human and I want to be treated just like everybody else... I had enough of hearing "f*cken asian driver" all the time...

Funnily enough, I had no such reaction at the time. "F*cking Asian driver" thoughts didn't even cross my mind. It was only after I got into work and thought about it that the point "hmmm... fits the stereotype" ran through my head. FWIW, I was very polite to the guy, ended up spending most of the five minutes or so after the event patting him on the shoulder and reassuring him that I wasn't going to die, he could go now, I'll be fine...

But in the end, Jrandom, I apologize for my previous comment, especially the last one.

No worries.

vifferman
14th October 2004, 13:33
NW motorway this morning, I'm trucking along, feeling rather out of sorts (hungover, too much blood in my caffeinestream - nobody better mess wid me) just before Newton offramp. Natcherly, I'm on one wheel, just in case someone who knows me sees me, and can't reconcile the image with that on my avatar. Filter (i.e., swerve violently across seven lanes, as a gust of wind catches the airborne front wheel while I'm picking my nose) into middle of second-from-right lane (thereby actually getting into a vaguely legal and proper road position, for once. This unaccustomed state is rather jarring, and jangles my already strung-out nervous system ).

Driver in right-hand lane (a cross-dressing would-be sumo wrestler who ekes out a meagre living as a computer programmer) pulls across in front very shortly thereafter, startled by the reversed view of my stunt-o-rama in his rear mirror. He drops his cigarette in his lap, and scalds his thighs trying to extinguish his smouldering nethers with his coffee. It's a difficult job trying to commute whilst simultaneously trying to do the housework, talk to your agent on the mobile, apply your mascara, and chase the shaver, which has buzzed off in search of hairier pastures. Or carpet. Unfortunately, unlike my goodly self, he is not a multitasker.

Bit of a speed delta: he's doing barely crawling speed, whereas my clothes are still smouldering from travelling at sub-warp velocities. It takes a few precious seconds, as I extract my finger from my nostril and flick the bogey off through someone's open window and into their earhole, and extinguish a remnant flicker of flame on my left elbow with a well-aimed gob of spittle.

Grab some front brake, with both hands, bracing myself with both feet, which were conveniently on the handlebars already, as part of my early (for me) morning stunt practise.

"I'm doing a stoppie! I'm doing a stoppie!" (note my clever new euphemism for momentarily losing control of various body orofices).

Greasy road, front wheel locks. Yeah, I know - you're asking yourself how on earth the wheel could lock up, if the road was greasy.
Well, what happened was when I hauled on the front brake, there was a not-insignificant weight transfer, increasing brake efficiency. My muscular forearms had that brake screeeeaaming for mercy, and the tyre was HOT, melting that greasy road spooge and the very tar holding the road surface together. As the mighty FXR gouged it's way through layers of asphalt, tarmacadam, road spooge, and prehistoric road-kill, the effluvium from the trench lodged in the front wheel, rapidly slowing it. Unfortunately, molten road spooge was also splashing around, and some lubricated my manly grip on the bars.

Superman. Only without the cape. And more ruggedly handsome than that scrawny weakling.

Bike does a forward flip as the pile of effluvium in front of the trench reaches critical mass, and the friction of my nether regions on the tank is counteracted by molten road spooge (MMmmmmm.... road spooge....), I bounce off his boot lid, after executing a masterful triple somersault, with back-flip, and half pike and come to rest, with a final pirouette. I bow gracefully to the applauding spectators, who go wild, and pelt me with flowers, money and underwear (only the female spectators, of course). Nobody drives over me, for which I'm profoundly grateful, as I'm in no mood for pounding some quick road justice into these Neanderthalian 'life-forms' (I use the term in it's loosest, single-cellular sense).

Hobble to side of motorway, scraping off congealed road spooge from my soles, and tripping over the piles of flowers, panties and wads of money, catch breath, curse Transit for putting up pointless barriers and leaving me with about six inches of 'shoulder'. A brief rumble of thunder, as the Biker Gods momentarily dispute my curse, before acquiescing.

Get bike (carrying it bodily on my manly and considerably more than 6-inch shoulders) across three lanes of traffic, back to six-inch shoulder, huff, puff, engine eventually starts, belching clouds of oily smoke and road spooge. A seagull, diving through the cloud at the sight of some prehistoric roadkill becomes momentarily disorientated, and bounces off a car windscreen, shrieking abuse.
Brakes not stuck due to lubrication by hot road spooge, nothing pissing oil, no visible signs of leakage from own orofices. Good. Nurse it over the bridge at no more than 75% above the posted speed limit and into work.
Literally.
Aforementioned road spooge has rendered the front brakes somewhat less than effective, and I take out the front foyer doors, three potted plants, and a geriatric cleaner who is just finishing her shift. Front wheel and forks appear fine; no signs of plants or cleaner DNA . "Have to post to KB about this one..., quick smart, before anyone who was a witness posts an 'alternative' view of the incident".
Blag some Nurofen off the VP's PA, a joint from a fellow worker, and a few tabs from that strange guy who hangs out down the corner. Blessed drugs. My back and knees are killing me. I really must join another cult; all this bestiality is hard on the body. Or was it lifting the mighty Fixxer across the road? Some things are just beyond reason...

I'm going to the pub at lunchtime, as you do. Well,... at least, as I do. Then I'm going to actually have a look at my bike, if my eyeballs are working again by then, and then I'm hobbling up the road to see the nice man at Atomic Wreckers, see if he's got any droogs. They have a good turnover of FXR parts too, from my previous 'indiscretions'.

jrandom
14th October 2004, 13:42
... complete and unabridged...

:not:

That deserves a smiley.

:killingme

Or two.

Well done that man. I *tole* 'em you was good. I tole 'em. Our manuals ain't never gonna be the same.

Blakamin
14th October 2004, 13:51
NW motorway this morning, I'm trucking along, feeling rather out of sorts (hungover, too much blood in my caffeinestream - nobody better mess wid me) just before Newton offramp.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unbelievably hilarious!!!!!

ROFLMFAO
:killingme :killingme :killingme :killingme

Devil
14th October 2004, 13:54
Hah good work!

riffer
14th October 2004, 13:56
Marvellous. :niceone:

Have you mentioned any of this to her indoors yet jr, or are you waiting until after you tell her about those tickets?

vifferman
14th October 2004, 13:59
Marvellous. :niceone:

Have you mentioned any of this to her indoors yet jr, or are you waiting until after you tell her about those tickets?Yeah - what's she going to confiscate next? :shutup:

riffer
14th October 2004, 14:02
I know I'm on a warning that next time I go down the road due to "lanesplitting misadventures" the bike has to stay in the gargre for a month before I'm allowed to touch it. :pinch:

jrandom
14th October 2004, 14:03
Yeah - what's she going to confiscate next? :shutup:

Strictly speaking, she didn't confiscate it. She lost her own and couldn't live without one for the day. Perhaps I should have elaborated.

jrandom
14th October 2004, 14:06
Have you mentioned any of this to her indoors yet jr, or are you waiting until after you tell her about those tickets?

I haven't, er, exactly, as you would say, 'mentioned' it to her. Yet. At this point in time.

vifferman
14th October 2004, 14:22
Waht is road sppoge please?

Motu
14th October 2004, 14:23
I had enough of hearing "f*cken asian driver" all the time and almost no "f*cken poly driver" or "f*cken blonde driver" at all when I well know they are not the only "f*cken drivers" around in this jaffaland, and thus it always brings me question of motivation when someone mention ethnicity unnecessarily in the event of a "f*cken driver" incident.
Face it....whether intentional or not, it does sound a bit unfair, does it?
[/B].

You need a rounding out in racial predudices? I'm your man! let's go for a drive together in the Pajero in peak hour traffic sometime - all those and more...anyone in particular you want to slander? Not me of course,I'm the perfect driver,the world revolves around me,but you knew that didn't you?

Coldkiwi
14th October 2004, 14:39
let's go for a drive together in the Pajero in peak hour traffic sometime -

'by go for a drive' you really mean 'lets park up on the motorway for an hour' right?

Zed
14th October 2004, 15:54
NW motorway this morning, just before Newton offramp. Filter into middle of second-from-right lane (thereby actually getting into a vaguely legal and proper road position, for once).

Driver in right-hand lane pulls across in front very shortly thereafter. Bit of a speed delta.

Grab some front brake.

"I'm doing a stoppie! I'm doing a stoppie!"

Greasy road, front wheel locks.

Superman.

Bike does a forward flip, I bounce off his boot lid and come to rest. Nobody drives over me, for which I'm profoundly grateful.

Hobble to side of motorway, catch breath, curse Transit for putting up pointless barriers and leaving me with about six inches of 'shoulder'.

Get bike across three lanes of traffic, back to six-inch shoulder, huff, puff, engine eventually starts. Brakes not stuck, nothing pissing oil. Good. Nurse it over the bridge and into work. Front wheel and forks appear fine. "Have to post to KB about this one...". Blag some Nurofen off the VP's PA. Blessed drugs. My back and knees are killing me.

I'm going to the pub at lunchtime. Then I'm going to actually have a look at my bike, and then I'm hobbling up the road to see the nice man at Atomic Wreckers. They have a good turnover of FXR parts.
Hey welcome *back* to the club Dan! Sounds like you had a rather scary experience? Personally, I prefer to bin where there are nice winding roads and little traffic around!

Glad you're okay. If you could ride on to work then the FXR isn't in too bad a shape either. :2thumbsup

Zed

Ps. any sign of that last MotoGP race being downloaded into your pc yet?

vifferman
14th October 2004, 16:01
Hey welcome *back* to the club Dan! Sounds like you had a rather scary experience? Personally, I prefer to bin where there are nice winding roads and little traffic around!Zed! :spudwave:
Iwas wondering where you'd got to - hadn't seen you on here for a while. You must've been behaving. Or summat.

sAsLEX
14th October 2004, 16:09
And hows the bike coming along Zed?

jrandom
14th October 2004, 16:38
Ps. any sign of that last MotoGP race being downloaded into your pc yet?

Why, good sir, as a matter of fact, I'm just leaving work now for a leisurely ride home via Greenhithe...

NC
14th October 2004, 17:09
:hug: glad you're ok, dude.

FROSTY
14th October 2004, 17:31
hmm--holey shit batman I just added it up. I got pissed off with the slow bike in front of me and dove over to split lanes in the left/middle lane just after the accident in the fast lane . Farrout-you musta hit the car as i was pulling over to the left. I couldn't figger out why ya diddnt catch up at the lights at the end of the NW.
-maybee it was the roar of the powerfull zxr that scared him/her into changing lanes

Storm
14th October 2004, 17:33
Glad to hear your morning misadventures havent altered your excellant sense of humour. Hopefully you have had your quota of road sampling for a while :calm:

Storm
14th October 2004, 17:34
And in the words of Bart Simpson
" Way to cheat death man" :not:

Ghost Lemur
14th October 2004, 17:43
And hows the bike coming along Zed?

Was about to ask the same thing.

Jackrat
14th October 2004, 17:48
Hey JR,what don't kill ya' makes ya' stronger.
Bloody silly saying that!! :rolleyes:
Anyway glad your ok,again.You've had more than your fair share lately mate,time for a change of luck huh. :yeah:

SPORK
14th October 2004, 18:17
Firestormer, that was too good for words!

You get my upmost respect and som reputation!

Ka Pai!

Zed
14th October 2004, 19:23
Zed! :spudwave:
Iwas wondering where you'd got to - hadn't seen you on here for a while. You must've been behaving. Or summat.
Gidday FS! :spudwave:

I have indeed been behaving...been busy attending to other areas in my life that have been summat neglected over the past 6-8 months. Only just got back to work yesterday after being on leave since my bin.

Zed
14th October 2004, 19:31
And hows the bike coming along Zed?Still havn't had the final word Alex but there is a vicious rumour going around Spectrum Motorcycles (where its been for the last few weeks) that it could be a write-off!? :doh: ...:calm:

I saw JR's bike 2nite and the lil' FXR can take a good knock or two before it'll go down. No major damge that can't be fixed in a jiffy!

[Advice for JR:] get some R&R tomorrow and take the day off.

jrandom
14th October 2004, 19:41
I saw JR's bike 2nite and the lil' FXR can take a good knock or two before it'll go down. No major damge that can't be fixed in a jiffy!

Good, innit? Friend at work commented that his ZX-7R would have more or less completely self-destructed in similar circumstances. Wee little bikes that bounce (it would seem...) have certain advantages.

[Advice for JR:] get some R&R tomorrow and take the day off.

Yeah. I fancy doing that, but I'll see how I feel... I hesitate to make the point, crass as it sounds, but I might get a *more* relaxing day at work...

Blakamin
14th October 2004, 19:48
but I might get a *more* relaxing day at work...
Thats the reason I go to work... the money's just a bonus :shifty:

dhunt
14th October 2004, 19:51
Mate, I thought we'd got over all this binning it stuff. It ant good for the body. Hope the bike gets better quick and glad you're not in getting fixed up. It looks like it could have been a lot worse.

Antallica
14th October 2004, 20:49
Man what a day eh dude.

Glad to hear you're alright. Take it easy, and bring that Fixxer to the Spanner Evening for some lovin'

Peace out brother!

jrandom
15th October 2004, 08:46
Thanks for all the sympathy guys, most appreciated. I'm at work today, takin' it easy. Sharp pains have muted into general stiffness. FXR running just fine and dandy, although the forks have a minor twist on 'em. Repairs will commence shortly.

I filtered slightly slower, this morning...

vifferman
15th October 2004, 08:58
Still havn't had the final word Alex but there is a vicious rumour going around Spectrum Motorcycles (where its been for the last few weeks) that it could be a write-off!? Hmmm.... while I have respect for Brent's spannering abilities, the prices he comes up with for damage quotes are a little on the high side (some 'fat' built in, I guess.) When talking to other mechanix about Spectrum, they have some interesting things to say...
I can't say too much, as I have only personal experience to go on, but remember the quote for repairs will include replacement of many parts with brand-new ones, and Honda parts in NZ are freakin' expensive! It's easier to replace than repair, so that's what the quote is for. If it was coming out of your pocket, you wouldn't necessarily do this.
F'rinstance, on my VFR, the main fairing bracket was bent: $1100 to replace.
Zorst dented: $1200
Panel and paint: Larry didn't want to touch it.
No wonder the repairs following my last indiscretion were quoted at $7800, despite being entirely cosmetic damage! :eek:
(See photo below).

The guy who bought it at auction repaired it for WAAAAAAAYYY less than that, even after paying someone to do plastic repairs and painting. He straightened the bracket (Brent said it was too difficult), and had a sleeve made to cover the dent in the zorst (I would've replaced it with aftermarket).
I was going to fix it up myself, but got sick of waiting around for a price from Turners / State for the residual value of the 'wreck', and my wife went "You're not having bike bits cluttering up my garage for goodness knows how long!", so I just took the money and ran. Pity, because I could've done what Zed did, and fitted an aftermarket zorst and a few other choice bits. :crybaby:

Zed
15th October 2004, 20:38
...I can't say too much, as I have only personal experience to go on...
My personal experience with Spectrum has only been good so I have no problem with them, though FS it sounds like you're fully justified in taking your business elsewhere! :Pokey:

jrandom
20th October 2004, 15:02
Oooooh, now I'm *mad*.

Check this out.

Hi, Daniel

How is your feeling now? Everything goes well? Nobody like to get a car accident but it happened.

Anyway, I just want to tell you that my car is borrowed from my friend and she need to sell the car after I return the car to her. Although it just has a small scratch, I must tell her. And maybe she need more repair for the scratch.

Here I just want to let you know maybe my friend need more fix for that and you have to pay the cost. If she don't care about the scratch, that's fine. Otherwise, she will contact you and discuss the cost.

--
Best regards,
tao

jrandom
20th October 2004, 15:04
And, of course, my reply...

Hi Tao

Since you failed to indicate correctly and check your mirrors before changing lanes, causing me to have to panic-brake and thereby come off my motorcycle, I will not be prepared to cover any of your costs. My view is that you were responsible for the accident.

We have already agreed over the telephone to cover our own costs without prejudice to liability. I am disappointed that you have apparently chosen to go back on your word on this.

If you choose to pursue me for your costs I will be prepared to defend the case in court and make a counter-claim for your own liability, since you were the one who broke the road regulations by failing to indicate and change lanes correctly and safely. I suspect that the cost of repairing the damage to my motorcycle will significantly exceed the cost of repairing any damage to your friend's car.

If you do choose to continue along these lines, please provide me by reply with the name and contact details of your friend's insurer.

Daniel

jrandom
20th October 2004, 15:04
Arsehole.

:bash:

Devil
20th October 2004, 15:07
Oooooh, now I'm *mad*.

Check this out.

Hi, Daniel

How is your feeling now? Everything goes well? Nobody like to get a car accident but it happened.

Anyway, I just want to tell you that my car is borrowed from my friend and she need to sell the car after I return the car to her. Although it just has a small scratch, I must tell her. And maybe she need more repair for the scratch.

Here I just want to let you know maybe my friend need more fix for that and you have to pay the cost. If she don't care about the scratch, that's fine. Otherwise, she will contact you and discuss the cost.

--
Best regards,
tao

Crapstix.
hmm now for a reply!
"Dear Cuntboat,

When you drop the car off, please also deliver a spoon so she can eat my ass.

Yours faithfully,
Priscilla - Queen of the Desert"

James Deuce
20th October 2004, 15:08
Yeeeharrr! Go git him boy!

vifferman
20th October 2004, 15:08
Arsehole.

:bash:Fairy Nuff.:ar15:

Dr Bob
20th October 2004, 15:27
Quick, get a report into the police about the incident. If you were injured etc. this is important. Failure to report an accident involving injury is an offence.

jrandom
20th October 2004, 15:30
Quick, get a report into the police about the incident. If you were injured etc. this is important. Failure to report an accident involving injury is an offence.

You're just full of good ideas, aren't you?

Luckily for me, I am about 400m away from the Takapuna station.

I'm off for a walk. Will post update when I return to the office.

F5 Dave
20th October 2004, 15:45
Typical, people always go back on what they say. When they have to tell their story to their friends/spouse the version keeps making it less their fault & they get encouraged to fight back now -even though you did them a favour by not calling the cops.

All car drivers do this. If someone admits they own a car or have driven a car you should spit on them & abuse them for 15min minimum. :mad:

(I’ve already self administered so that’s ok). :innocent:

jrandom
20th October 2004, 15:47
Hmmm. Given my complete inability to raise anyone on the phone at Takapuna station for the last 10 minutes, I'm going to do this first thing in the morning tomorrow, when I might have a better chance of finding someone at the front desk.

MikeL
20th October 2004, 16:12
The hapless Mr Tao will no doubt come to regret his rash epistle.
Unleash the fury, Dan.
Such an unequal contest. One almost feels sorry for him.
Almost.

jrandom
20th October 2004, 17:40
The hapless Mr Tao will no doubt come to regret his rash epistle.
Unleash the fury, Dan.
Such an unequal contest. One almost feels sorry for him.
Almost.

I would love to unleash a little fury, but the lack of witnesses means that it will only ever be my word against his. The only likely outcome is that we'll be told to go our separate ways and fix the damage out of our own pockets.

Which is what I intended to do, in the first place.

If he'd claimed on insurance, I would have heard from the insurer by now. I wonder if his friend even *has* insurance.

I will be sure to deal with any future accidents where I am not obviously at fault with extreme prejudice. The cage driver will be detained by yours truly, along with witnesses, and the police will be called if I feel so much as a twinge in a calf muscle.

It seems that being a nice guy gets you nowhere, these days.

aff-man
20th October 2004, 17:45
yip from the letter if he is trying to get money out of you i am betting one of two things
1- he has no insurance
2- It's not his car and his friend has no insurance and wants him to pay for it so he thought he try and screw you instead.

BASTARD. If you made a police report he would probably get a ticket as well for dangerous driving, that'll teach him to try and ween money out of ya aye :buggerd: :killingme :killingme

Jackrat
20th October 2004, 19:53
I would love to unleash a little fury, but the lack of witnesses means that it will only ever be my word against his. The only likely outcome is that we'll be told to go our separate ways and fix the damage out of our own pockets.

Which is what I intended to do, in the first place.

If he'd claimed on insurance, I would have heard from the insurer by now. I wonder if his friend even *has* insurance.

I will be sure to deal with any future accidents where I am not obviously at fault with extreme prejudice. The cage driver will be detained by yours truly, along with witnesses, and the police will be called if I feel so much as a twinge in a calf muscle.

It seems that being a nice guy gets you nowhere, these days.

There ya' go then,
Should of just bashed em' when ya' had the chance.
Got his address have ya'??? :shifty:

Motu
20th October 2004, 21:41
That sucks man - I reckon if you had of asked for his licence on the spot you would have got a folding cash settlement right there.

In reply to an earlier post - any insurance quote will always be ''fat'' There is no way you can quote on work that has yet to be done,before parts are removed,before parts are procured - things will change as the job progresses...the ''fat'' is a way to absorb extra costs,you can be sure the insurance company won't pay out any more once the quote is accepted.As to the private repairs to your bike - if you were the insured customer,would you accept second hand parts and a sleeve over a damaged exhaust - not likely eh?

This morning I received a go ahead on a quote I put in for a stolen and recovered Skyline,the assesor thought my labour charge was a bit light,so we put another couple of hours on it.This is for a good friends sons car,I quoted on parts that were not even available at the time,but we needed to come up with some figures - seeing as I know the guy cutting on some parts may be necessary,I don't expect to come out of it very well.

MikeL
20th October 2004, 21:51
Dan
As a person of eminent stature (social and professional, that is...), you must be acquainted with someone who has an LL.B after his name and could be persuaded (for appropriate consideration, say a pint or two of Bitter and Twisted) to write a letter on appropriately legal letterhead to the other party, threatening the usual sorts of things and mentioning outrageously inflated sums of money...
I would do it for you myself (the letterhead would be no problem), but I've just checked my qualifications and among the assorted Dips. and (Hons) I can't seem to locate an LL.B. Must have slipped up somewhere along the line...

Yamahamaman
20th October 2004, 22:05
I can't seem to locate an LL.B. Must have slipped up somewhere along the line...
No worries Mike, I can probably fabricate one for you :whistle:

jrandom
21st October 2004, 05:43
Dan
As a person of eminent stature...

My stature owes not a little to my native gravitas. Or possibly gravity.

you must be acquainted with someone who has an LL.B after his name and could be persuaded (for appropriate consideration, say a pint or two of Bitter and Twisted) to write a letter...

Could, probably, yes. In fact, I could just ask my actual solicitor to do it for an hour's bill, or probably unbilled as a bit of fat in amongst the family trust stuff at the moment. But I suspect I'll hear nothing more from Mr Tao, and my Copious Spare Time is less than extensive. If he pulls his head in, I'll restrain my ardour for vengeance and forget about it.

among the assorted Dips. and (Hons) I can't seem to locate an LL.B. Must have slipped up somewhere along the line...

And you were wondering about your choice of further study... look no further; your destiny as a lawyer beckons!

jrandom
21st October 2004, 07:39
And here we have this morning's reply...

He's full of sh*t, but not completely stupid.

Hi, Daniel

I did indicate correctly and check my mirror before I changed the lanes. There was a big truck behind my car and I did check carefully before I changed my lane. But I don't want to argue you with this because I think both of us don't want the accident happen.

So here I agree with you that we cover our own costs without prejudice to liability.

Regards,

Tao

And now I can get on with finding myself a new footpeg bracket.

Mr Skid
21st October 2004, 08:14
I did indicate correctly and check my mirror before I changed the lanes.

So Tao is saying that he saw you and intentionally ran into you?

Let's go wastify him.
Or do some burnouts on his front lawn.
Or sign his email address up to pr0n sites.

vifferman
21st October 2004, 08:16
I did indicate correctly and check my mirror before I changed the lanes. There was a big truck behind my car and I did check carefully before I changed my lane. A face-saving exercise?

SPORK
21st October 2004, 08:24
Speaking of signing up for sites... I was pissed at my brother, so he got an inbox full of awful porn the next day...

Wasn't me.... Honest!

Fine, don't believe me...

SPORK
21st October 2004, 08:25
and FS, what is that in yuour avatar? something attacking the screen?

vifferman
21st October 2004, 08:27
and FS, what is that in yuour avatar? something attacking the screen?It's The Annoying Thing.

http://www.turboforce3d.com/annoying/

Hitcher
21st October 2004, 08:37
It's The Annoying Thing.
Thanks for clarifying that...

21st October 2004, 08:55
And it is annoying too.....

Stupid animation clips that arent circular :angry2: - make my eyes go crazy

congrats to Hitcher, CSL, and fazerbloke for animated clips that actually look pretty circular...

vifferman
21st October 2004, 12:02
And it is annoying too.....

Stupid animation clips that arent circular :angry2: - make my eyes go crazy

congrats to Hitcher, CSL, and fazerbloke for animated clips that actually look pretty circular...
Sorry!
I did want a circular version of it, but it was a little hard to edit the original version to make it circular, without it exceeding the 60k limit.

SPORK
21st October 2004, 15:17
And also the one with the bicycle doing a wheelie turn or whatever... That raelly hurts my eyes!

I thuink that i will make a realllllly annoying avatar and leave it there for a week :D

Coyote
21st October 2004, 15:37
Was my old avatar of the man exploding annoying to anyone?

vifferman
21st October 2004, 15:47
And also the one with the bicycle doing a wheelie turn or whatever... That raelly hurts my eyes!I liked bung bung's old avatar better: "Get off mah land!":yes:

I thuink that i will make a realllllly annoying avatar and leave it there for a week :DNo, don't do that.
See - I've removed the Annoying Thing animated avatar.

Coyote
21st October 2004, 15:53
Wkid one had some pretty good avatars.

21st October 2004, 16:39
Was my old avatar of the man exploding annoying to anyone?

Nope... at least its circular.... Not like that STUPID bicycle - I have to read fast and scroll up and down the page to get it off the window..... :mad:

Attn: Bungbung - could you please change that one??

SPORK
21st October 2004, 18:26
ANGRY PUSSY?!?!? I AM A BLoODY MALE! :)

If I were bigger, I would lay some smack down on you :P

At least on the computers at school they are so slow that I can look at them without my eyes busting! :)