View Full Version : Do you like Rugby?

SimJen
7th October 2007, 20:14
This will be interesting.....
Do Kiwibikers like/dislike rugby:

Vote now or forever hold your piece :headbang:

Shadows
7th October 2007, 20:15
What I do with my piece is my own business and I'll hold it forever if I want to. Now where's the voting thing.

fireball
7th October 2007, 20:18
i like being in the bottom of the ruck with all the girlies all over me.....

...its the only time i have girls after me!

deanohit
7th October 2007, 20:18
Nope, had enough of rugby on the tv. Do enjoy the odd local game like once a year.

Pussy
7th October 2007, 20:20
Yep, been a lifelong interest

Kiwifire72
7th October 2007, 20:20
Played thru child hood til I left school and joined the real world
Mate died playing and gave me the heeby geebies so never played since and don't even watch it unless I really have to

98tls
7th October 2007, 20:24
Love it,always have and always will.

scrivy
7th October 2007, 20:28
I'd rather pull myself on national TV!! :bleh:

dino3310
7th October 2007, 20:30
love the game just hate the fucken pommie ref's

roadracingoldfart
7th October 2007, 20:33
RUGBY ... Ahhh yes , the game where 30 grown men can legally and legitamately smack the living shit out of each other in the name of sport.

Its got a hell of a following worldwide but i dont give a shit about it.
If it wasnt for rugby then more of the bullies from it might ride bikes so keep rugby going.

Busy
7th October 2007, 20:36
Rugby is great

for keeping lots of folks off the roads so folks like me can enjoy them more

DEATH_INC.
7th October 2007, 20:42
I hate it with a vengance. Can't stand when every other farkin customer comes in and asks 'who's gonna win the game?' I couldn't give a f**k....:angry2:

inlinefour
7th October 2007, 20:44

However, I think there is now 2 types of Rugby, one of which I tend to enjoy far less. 1. Professional: International and Super 14. 2. Provincial: Air NZ Rugby, which is the type that I enjoy far more these days. The professional type is going down the gurgler, just waiting for the Super 14 to move offshore, imagine the preformance from NZ, if the loss in the RWC is anything to go by. :gob:

kiwifruit
7th October 2007, 20:48
I hate it with a vengance. Can't stand when every other farkin customer comes in and asks 'who's gonna win the game?' I couldn't give a f**k....:angry2:

+ 1

Indiana_Jones
7th October 2007, 20:51
I don't mind Rugby, havn't/wouldn't play it.

I'm just sick of it being no. 1 news all the bloody time.

-Indy

Virago
7th October 2007, 20:52
...Can't stand when every other farkin customer comes in and asks 'who's gonna win the game?'...

My normal response is "The Silver Ferns". It usually stops the conversation dead in its tracks.

Dooly
7th October 2007, 20:54
Yep love it.
Used to play senior rugby, and one of our lads made the trial for the HB Magpies first year out of school, so have a keen interest.
Am starting to be really bored with Super14 and Tri nations tho.
The NPC is good. Well premier division anyway.

NighthawkNZ
7th October 2007, 20:54
i like being in the bottom of the ruck with all the girlies all over me.....

...its the only time i have girls after me!

me too... lol

crshbndct
7th October 2007, 20:59
i enjoy rugby not the hype that goes with it
i voted no though

HTFU
7th October 2007, 21:14
this will be interesting.....

No it won't - looking at the thread this came off - NO and the sissy boys will take it out.

Can you define like/dislike - is that like my thoughts on this?
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:7RPp5d6EwfgYiM:http://blog.joins.com/usr/c/h/chaeleesbs/25/Jessica_Alba_Maxim_Shoot_Raws_22(2).jpg
versus the view the missus had when I brought my new bike home :bash:.

Vote now or forever hold your piece

I am going to do both :yes:

Go the yes vote :second:

Tonka
7th October 2007, 22:07
I used to love watching and playing the game but it has changed so much that now its very similar to rugby league - defensive/attacking patterns. The IRB arent helping with all the rule changes and to be honest its just not same without the rucking and fighting (nothing wrong with a little bit of fist'a'cuffs) :Pokey:

All Black legend Michael Jones summed it up for me in an interview during the world cup when he said the game was getting "SOFT"!:oi-grr:

Still like it but only just....

peasea
7th October 2007, 22:20

To stay on topic; I dislike rugby

Wolf
7th October 2007, 22:29
Finally, a poll. Not telling you what I voted, it's secret :killingme

So, who do you think is going to get Gold in the Pistol Shooting at the next Olympics? :bleh:

peasea
7th October 2007, 22:35
It's fucked

Swoop
8th October 2007, 08:24
Where is the option for "I'd rather watch paint dry"?:clap:

Eurodave
8th October 2007, 08:50
Ahhh, Thugby.......
A game where a bunch of over paid & overgrown men put on short shorts , chase a ball thats not even round & made of a dead pig skin around & around a paddock trying desperately to feel each other up as much as possable
& dont even get me started on the shower room antics afterwards

Beemer
8th October 2007, 09:38
I hate rugby and have never had any interest in the 'sport'. Sick of hearing about it all the time and having every news bulletin lead with 'news' of the World Cup - last night TV3 had 15 minutes of post mortems before we heard what else had happened in the world!

And no, our household is NOT in mourning because the All Blacks lost. We couldn't give a toss actually!

scracha
8th October 2007, 10:35
Like watching the odd game but it's not "newsworthy".

ManDownUnder
8th October 2007, 10:39
I like the important games (i.e. National Level involved the ABs)... but otherwise... meh...

BuFfY
8th October 2007, 10:48
I grew up a daddy's girl. I watched rugby, wrestling and motorsports. I used to watch every game in the NPC, Super 12 and All Blacks, knew all the players, all their stats etc etc
Moved to Auckland (Dad in Christchurch now) and eventually lost touch with the sport. Players like Jeff Wilson (who I am soooo going to marry!) were no longer playing and it wasn't as enjoyable.
After watching the game yesterday morning my love for the game is totally back! Was a game where all players were pushed and pushed some more. My sister and I were screaming and stuff. Fun times!
Rugby is a sport where if you don't understand the rules then it isn't enjoyable.

Pancakes
8th October 2007, 11:14
I don't mind if people like it and I like playing but the whole rugby national sport everyone likes it aren't you a kiwi or what attitude pisses me off, when people who have never played etc just join in the rugbyness so they have one thing to talk about, need to get some mates and a hobby or two.

yungatart
8th October 2007, 11:26
I don't mind rugby.
I hate the hype that goes with it, the way that "we' have been brainwashed into believing said hype, the lack of support (media coverage) other sports get, and the belief that "real men" play rugby...wot a load of shyte!

Wolf
8th October 2007, 11:46
Rugby is a sport where if you don't understand the rules then it isn't enjoyable.
What's the point in understanding the rules when they're never adhered to? What makes it less enjoyable is that our professional players are hyped as the best of the best and they can't even abide by the rules of the game.

Throat-high tackles, going off-side, forward passes, punching people in the scrums or elsewhere on the field, targetting players who're nowhere near the ball to fuck them up for the rest of the game, gouging, sprigging.

Sure, it's a "contact sport" as tri boy pointed out in the other thread, sure it has risks. But boxing is a contact sport as well and things rightfully go badly for anyone who breaks the rules of engagement.

The risk of rugby should be that you're going to get face slammed into the ground when someone wraps their arms around your hips and tackles you. Not that you're going to get strangled in a "tackle" or your eye gouged out or punched.

Just as the risk of boxing is that you're going to get punched anywhere above the belt, not bitten during an illegal clinch or punched in the groin.

They hype up our football pros as "sportsmen" and they are not. Not one man jack of them. They all cheat, all break the rules of the game, whine like fuck when they get "punished" for it and whine even louder if one of the opposing team does exactly what they've done.

These are who are hypoed as "heroes" all over the media.

Bollocks.

If the game were played properly, according to the rules, and the players were true sportmen, I would understand the hype to a degree.

enigma51
8th October 2007, 11:55
I say agan
Crouch and hold!

wait it gets better

engage

Sounds pretty gay to me!

MyGSXF
8th October 2007, 12:04
Rugby is for :tugger:

:chase:

cold comfort
8th October 2007, 12:12
with ya there Jen the ludicrous hype, the haka, the committment of $50 mil to one code for one campaign, the expectation of taxpayer support for solely rugby orientated facilities-cripes where me bloody soapbox!!

Meekey_Mouse
8th October 2007, 12:24
Where's the "I don't mind it" option?

I watch it with my dad, some times will get into it if it's a good game... but if MotoGP or WSBK was on another channel, there would be NO competition... bikes! :clap:

MSTRS
8th October 2007, 12:39
I'd vote but I couldn't find the option for "What is this 'Rugby' of which you talk"

Eurodave
8th October 2007, 12:48
You will all bow down & worship the mighty demigods of rugby, the opiate for the masses.
Forget about global warming, pollution,poverty,or big brother, just concentrate on who won the rugby!!...........
YEAH RIGHT!!!!!

Wolf
8th October 2007, 12:56
with ya there Jen the ludicrous hype, the haka, the committment of $50 mil to one code for one campaign, the expectation of taxpayer support for solely rugby orientated facilities-cripes where me bloody soapbox!!
Yep, where the fuck are my taxpayer-funded pistol and rifle ranges? When are Kimmy's MotoX Park going to receive direct taxpayer funding to improve their clubrooms and toilet facilities, acquire neighbouring land to expand their tracks etc?

And while we're at it, when're NZ on Air going to start airing all the motorcycle. shooting, netball (not my scene but there're a lot of people that enjoy it) etc?

scrivy
8th October 2007, 12:58
Throat-high tackles, going off-side, forward passes, punching people in the scrums or elsewhere on the field, targetting players who're nowhere near the ball to fuck them up for the rest of the game, gouging, sprigging.
Not that you're going to get strangled in a "tackle" or your eye gouged out or punched.

Wolf - you forgot the hopoate finger up the ass trick!!! Oh yeah, they like that one - so wouldn't complain at all......................... :buggerd: :2thumbsup

Usarka
8th October 2007, 13:00
Where's the "I don't mind it" option?

no room for non-extremist views around here!

i can't understand how anyone can "hate" a game. sounds pretty unhealthy to me

Out-law
8th October 2007, 14:32
After the loss of all blacks I kinda stoped liking it LOL :D

Toaster
8th October 2007, 16:33
Only watch All Blacks games... not hugely fussed on the game and not a rugby player.... I would rather ride. Can't really answer yes or no. More of a middle ground needed.

Mom
8th October 2007, 16:37
Love my rugby, have been known to loudly offer up refereeing advice, and comments on player skills both to the TV and at live games :o

Prefer the NPC competition as this is true grass roots rugby, it is such a buzz to see the Harbour boys doing so well at the top end of competition at the moment.

Have not been to a local game in far too long, but excuse myself as usually out riding anyway.

N1CK
8th October 2007, 17:19
Yep, where the fuck are my taxpayer-funded pistol and rifle ranges?

And while we're at it, when're NZ on Air going to start airing all the motorcycle. shooting, netball

They don't air shooting because no one would watch it. Unlike rugby, which alot of people like.

Wolf
8th October 2007, 18:17
They don't air shooting because no one would watch it.
Bullshit.

I'd watch it, as would quite a few others. Likewise there are lots who'd watch netball, table tennis, hockey and shitloads of other sports that get fuck-all air-time as "the only real sport is rugby".

NZ does extremely well internationally in a large number of sports that get fuck all air time despite NZers competing at the highest levels, winning prizes and medals and coming tops in international competitions.

Where is the patriotic fervour of our media when kiwis are winning gold and trouncing the rest of the world at sports other than rugby.

The ABs getting their arses handed to them got more time/space in the media than our women's netball kicking the shit out of everyone in a major international match a few years back.

Just because you don't like shooting, doesn't mean "no one" would watch it.

It's a sport requiring skill, accuracy and physical discipline, so you wouldn't understand. Would you prefer it if the contestants shot at each other instead of targets?

And FYI, they do air shooting events on Sky - for those with the budget to afford it - along with international Pool/Snooker/Billiards, Darts and a shit load of other sports because unlike our retarded TVNZ, their definition of "sport" isn't limited to one fucking game.

Unlike rugby, which alot of people like.
Largely bullshit.

Seems a lot of people only "like rugby" when the locals are playing. Like all those whining about how they paid for tickets to the final (something about "counting chickens"?) and now there's "no point in going" as the ABs are out of the running.

If they were true rugby fans, it wouldn't matter who's playing in the final, they'd sit down and enjoy the top two teams battle it out.

Like, gee, I don't give a fuck who's shooting, I like to see the action; I don't care if there're no kiwis in the Moto-X championships , I like watching the Moto-X.

I'm right behind any kiwis in those events and will cheer 'em all the way. If they get eliminated, I'll still watch - pick a side for the finals - and enjoy the contest.

So I figure I'm more of a "fan" of shooting and motorcycle events than most NZers are "fans" of rugby.

Edit: And I'd rather watch genuine sports(wo)men than a pack of whiney-arses who can't even play the game by the rules.

98tls
8th October 2007, 18:39
Just out of interest what is air shooting ?

SimJen
8th October 2007, 19:14
They don't air shooting because no one would watch it. Unlike rugby, which alot of people like.

Yes a lot of people like rugby, but by looking at the poll it seems you are in the minority on KB.......so far.
This is interesting :)

viewer
8th October 2007, 19:35
I love watching rugby....................... I love watching grown men cry!!!!!:baby::cry:

Bunch of soft cocks!

T-Thunder13
8th October 2007, 19:46
we desrved to lose for wasting so much fucking money and resourses on the game. as if there is nothing better to listen/whatch/do in new zealand.
they started counting down to the world cup 80 days before it started!!! its sic. fucken pesants. never seen so many macho grown men cry. and theres been a rise in womens refuge cases since the loss. isnt that sad.

oldrider
8th October 2007, 19:53
I'd rather pull myself on national TV!! :bleh:

Sure, you could pull your self but could you pull a decent TV audience? :lol: John.

Kittyhawk
8th October 2007, 19:54
RUGBY AND BEER ARE SOUL MATES!

:drinknsin

I like both BUT you got to have good company to make any game a great game. :headbang:

98tls
8th October 2007, 20:07
we desrved to lose for wasting so much fucking money and resourses on the game. as if there is nothing better to listen/whatch/do in new zealand.
they started counting down to the world cup 80 days before it started!!! its sic. fucken pesants. never seen so many macho grown men cry. and theres been a rise in womens refuge cases since the loss. isnt that sad. Theres plenty to do as you say......nobody makes you watch the rugby,they started counting down to the americas cup years ago,so what?The media tell you theres a rise in womens refuge cases and you automatically assume its because the all-blacks lose?so the next time theres a rise what will they blame it on then?

Pancakes
8th October 2007, 20:31
I love how the punters say "we won" and "they lost" hahahahahaha, you won nothing fool. Pay your Sky bill, hahahahaha

loneranger
8th October 2007, 20:56
grown men in short shorts chasing an odd shaped ball... hmmm, i guess its only queer if they make eye contact..
i'd much rather be riding

scrivy
9th October 2007, 08:46
Sure, you could pull your self but could you pull a decent TV audience? :lol: John.

There'd be more viewers than those watching rugby!!! :shifty::shifty:

Usarka
9th October 2007, 08:55
grown men in short shorts chasing an odd shaped ball... hmmm, i guess its only queer if they make eye contact..
i'd much rather be riding

so people playing sport with an oval ball is gay but you have no problems dressing in leather and straddling machinery? :lol:

Ragingrob
9th October 2007, 08:58
I like it, well I did, we'll see in the next four years if we can win at home!

Wolf
9th October 2007, 09:12
You will, I hope that in 4 years I'll be able to afford Sky and will be watching real sports.

Eurodave
9th October 2007, 10:36
so people playing sport with an oval ball is gay but you have no problems dressing in leather and straddling machinery? :lol:

At least us motorbicyclists dont run around a paddock in short shorts trying really hard to cop a feel of each other

Usarka
9th October 2007, 10:42
At least us motorbicyclists dont run around a paddock in short shorts trying really hard to cop a feel of each other

you haven't been to one of those rallies down in otago have you......

scrivy
9th October 2007, 10:51

CHRIST!! Imagine how much we'll pump them up as heros for that cup!!
They'll think they're gods!! Shite....... imagine the tears when they lose that one too!!:shutup::shutup:

Delerium
9th October 2007, 10:55
Anybody read the front page of the herald this morning. SOmebody had the allblacks world cup victory tattood into his thigh... ooops, they didnt win. Silly boy.

deanohit
9th October 2007, 10:56
Yea, thought that was a good laugh.

Wolf
9th October 2007, 11:23
Anybody read the front page of the herald this morning. SOmebody had the allblacks world cup victory tattood into his thigh... ooops, they didnt win. Silly boy.
And the chicken-counting prize for 2007 goes to...

scrivy
9th October 2007, 15:18

He'll be a Darwin award winner in 5 years time........:shit::laugh:

terbang
10th October 2007, 07:54
It's all part of the dumbing down of NZ society. Uggg Uggg Uggg & more fucking Uggg.

terbang
10th October 2007, 07:59
It was a grim Monday morning for rugby fans whose mood was as bleak as Wellington's weather.

And there was only one word being used to describe how people felt about the All Black's loss to France, 'gutted'.

"People can deal with the pain by turning our attention to other sports," says Victoria University Psychologist Marc Wilson.

"There are other sports we do well at like the Phoenix for example, look at the NPC and see how that is going.

"It makes us feel better to blame things outside our control - so I blame the ref."

But the consequences are already beginning to show - domestic violence figures from yesterday are not out yet, but Women's Refuge says the number of police call outs to family disputes was higher than normal.

"People do take it very personally," says Heather Henare of the New Zealand Women's Refuge.

Phil O'Reilly of Business New Zealand also says that productivity will be down nationwide today.

What sort of people are we becoming, no wonder the rest of the world doesn't take us seriously anymore.

Finn
10th October 2007, 08:09
What sort of people are we becoming, no wonder the rest of the world doesn't take us seriously anymore.

Yeah, I'm just glad it's over so the country can get back to business. Productivity is low enough in NZ without distractions like Rugby. It's been crazy at work this week as people's brains kick back into gear and realise that Christmas is just around the corner. Oh great, another distraction.

Swoop
10th October 2007, 08:18
11 weeks of the stupid season to cope with...

oldrider
10th October 2007, 14:03
My son has gone to the World Cup of Rugby for the finals, left on Monday.

Do you know, the "rest of the world thinks that is still on!"

Only New Zealand thinks it finished on Sunday! :doh: John. :laugh:

Wolf
10th October 2007, 14:09
My son has gone to the World Cup of Rugby for the finals, left on Monday.

Do you know, the "rest of the world thinks that is still on!"

Only New Zealand thinks it finished on Sunday! :doh: John. :laugh:
Oh, so your son actually IS a rugby fan, unlike most of NZ who're only "fans" when NZ is playing.

Good on him.

SimJen
12th October 2007, 13:38
Well it seems that the majority of KB'ers dislike rugby then (well 60% do which is a majority, although under MMP I'm sure it would be the other way round) ;)
Interesting.....

Wolf
12th October 2007, 13:41
Well it seems that the majority of KB'ers dislike rugby then (well 60% do which is a majority, although under MMP I'm sure it would be the other way round) ;)
Interesting.....
Under MMP Rugby would become a compulsory event at our motorcycle meets...