PDA

View Full Version : AMCC Advanced Rider Training October 7th report

Keystone19
8th October 2007, 12:15
Popped along to the Advanced Rider Training Day run by AMCC yesterday.

Was an interesting day headed by Vince Sharpe.

We all went for a walk/ride around Pukekohe track which I had not done before here. I was very interested to see a steel manhole cover on the track to the outside of Jennian - had never noticed that before and couldn't see it at all when I was riding. Would hate to take a wide line and hit it in the wet though!

Weather wise the day was great. An unfortunate accident just after lunch when a Mackintosh post classic bike disintegrated coming over the hill delayed things considerably and left a lot of oil on the track. This meant speed over the hill was reduced considerably for the remainder of the day and track time was somewhat reduced.

Good to see a few new faces on the track - particularly good to see Surfchick out on her Ducati for the first time (good to see you get rid of those chicken strips left behind by TwoSmoker when you bought those tyres off him) and Madduck nearly hitting 200kph on her SV (next time girl!).

See you at the next one!

MadDuck
8th October 2007, 12:46
What a great way to spend a sunny Sunday than "having a go". A well organised day by AMCC. The rugby world cup jokes were flowing thick and fast by days end :buggerd:

A great highlight was following Vince around the track where he explained the lines to supposedly help one go faster...hmmmm it also helps to have the nerve to push the bike to the limit and not brake like half way down the back straight in time for the hairpin.

I bet the smile has not yet disappeared from Surfchicks face ... thanks for keeping me company on the ride home girl. I was pretty tired after the day and still recovering from the flu. And mega thanks to Jill for showing us around the track and talking me into going out there...

Now i have just one final comment:

I passed an R6 on the back straight - and it wasnt broken down

Keystone19
8th October 2007, 12:56

I can vouch for this 100% - seen and witnessed with my own eyes...you go girl!

Toast
8th October 2007, 13:59
Was a good day. Could have been better were it not for the oil at the hairpin, the oil over the hill, and one of the head coaches popping his shoulder and sidelining himself for the rest of the day. Buuut, that's trackdays for ya, and still not nearly on the carnage scale of some I've been at.

I agree that the track walk was well worth it (although could have been scheduled a bit earlier so that we could all get in to the riding at the earliest allowable time). One thing I wasn't prepared for was how smooth the entry to Jennian is. It seems so much tighter when approaching at the top of 5th gear!!

The track surface down the front straight and entering Jennian was even worse that I recall, and I found myself using my legs as a second set of suspension to keep the bike in contact with the earth there.

Got to follow Vince Sharpe, pushing a modern CB900 fairly hard, in one of the later sessions. That was a really useful couple of laps, and helped me improve my lines, especially through the left handers. One thing that amazed me is how hard he gassed it right through the cement dust over the hill. He's certainly a lot more aggressive on a bike than he is to talk to. Nice guy :niceone:

Overall a good day. Probably won't make the next one 'cos I intend to do an AMCC race day or two, but hope to make another in future and get more time with the old fast fellas :niceone:

PeteJ
8th October 2007, 14:11
Yeah, I was speaking with Paul Pav this morning - seems that there's no bad damage to him, though the McIntosh Suzuki is in for a major rebuild.

Good comment about Vince riding on the oil/cement dust. After a reasonably short time, much of the slipperiness was gone. BTW - who else spotted Jill taking the line inside that spill over the hill all the time?

Toast
8th October 2007, 15:45
I think everyone just took their pick of line over the hill after they'd been past it a few times, as it wasn't really that bad (Vince included, obviously).

NinjaBoy
8th October 2007, 17:14
Was the most relaxed trackday I've been at esp. with the new bike and all. These tyrewarmer thingy's were great although still took it easy in the 1st couple of laps.

The track walk was very informative and generally the day very well run.

Also thanks to Jill for putting a blue layer on the front discs and confirming that there's nothing wrong with the bike ( just the owner) :2thumbsup

ArcherWC
8th October 2007, 17:23
Had a blast for my first time on Puke, couldnt have picked a better day weather wise.
My laptimes consistantly dropped with a final pb of 1:10 and some change and consistant 1:11's, still heaps of time to be gained too as the bike was geared down for Taupo and it ran out of puff halfway down the back straight.
Took a while to get my head around Jenian, it just plain messes with your mind, and the hairpin has still got me fooked. oh well more to learn next time

boostin
8th October 2007, 18:01
Sounds like you all had an awsome time.

After looking forward to this day for about 2 months I went and got sick over the weekend. I was hoping it would clear by Sunday but it didn't. :mad:

Hopefully AMCC will let me trf my booking to the one in December.

westie
8th October 2007, 19:34
The day was a real blast. Had a great time.
I get what people are talking about with the jennian corner and using your legs as a second set of shocks.
First time on Pukekohe track was way better than I had been led to believe.
Cheers
AMCC

surfchick
8th October 2007, 20:13
OMG OMG OMG...
total convert to track days...and really sticky tires :) :) :) how many smiley faces can i find... waaaaaahhhooo still grinning... soo trying to find out when the next one is... spent all night on sunday reliving my favourite corners... i loved the track walk...having a look before the first ride. loved the riding... slowly working through from the first lap... then later my leg nearly got ripped out of my hips on the back straight :eek5::sweatdrop when a bump knocked it out from behind the fairing and the wind ripped it backwards...ba ha.. loved it all. loved all the bikie banter...loved hanging out under the plush set-up of carpet and tool-kits at jills home-away-from home

for a good few laps i was behind riders who i wanted to pass in the corners but couldnt really figure out how...not really knowing the track so well, or really how to pass proper... but later on I got better at gassing it out of that castrol corner into the straight and passing there... was a bit freiked to do any passing under breaks at the other end... but that was a bummer cause then i was kind of stuck behind for the funest corners...

i must say that mad-duck was halarious dithering about whether or not to ride... freiking that she'd not riden for a month prior...then blew off the r6 and a few bloody others in EVERY session... ba ha cool that was. was very good having jill as marshall-leader thingi... I liked those lines best..but kept forgetting the good lines you taught me as soon as you were out of sight..uh oh... lol actually by the 3rd session things were way better and I was so gutted they ran out of time for the fourth

2 things for next time.. faster corners.. and get past 240 on that back straight (i always just held it there instead of going up the last gear to 6th cause the wind felt like a thick-wall of terror) ;) so maybe next go i'll tuck up even smaller and 240 won't feel soo fast. and did i mention the enormous back-off period where I stopped accelerating at the kink?:sweatdrop:sweatdrop in some ways i just can;t quite get my head around how the breaks will manage to stop me going that speed any where near that hairy-pin. as it was i had to bury my knees into the tank moulding to stop myslef popping off the front. thank god ducatis are the shape they are... must work on the inner thighs for that tank grip:yes:

but OMG how much fun was that all... tu meke tu meke tu meke wihooo
i'm totally still on a high from it..cheesy grin more than 24hrs later...:clap: stoked they ran that day au

surfchick
8th October 2007, 20:20
also
big thanks to chris s for the big bad back protector and the gas cans
and to jill for the pre track day scout of my nasty sport-tourer tires and emergency sourcing of some nu rubber..

and back to chris again about those tires... i so got some mis-placed street cred. from the tires looking track-day ravaged/blistered so far past any chickenstripes practically to the bikes hub-caps. ba ha... and ba ha bit of humour that. but my how those conti tires stick. glued to the road compared to the stradas..

ArcherWC
9th October 2007, 05:38
I agree that the track walk was well worth it (although could have been scheduled a bit earlier so that we could all get in to the riding at the earliest allowable time).

Maybe next time they could do the track walk for those that are interested at say 9/9:30, that way you could walk the whole track then come back to get kitted up.

wasnt so fun walking in one piece leathers

sAsLEX
9th October 2007, 06:10

Didn't think Gareth was riding at the moment?

ArcherWC
9th October 2007, 06:23
^^^^^^^^^Bwahahahahahahahaha^^^^^^^^^^

Devil
9th October 2007, 07:07
also
big thanks ..... to jill for the pre track day scout of my nasty sport-tourer tires and emergency sourcing of some nu rubber..

*ahem* :Pokey:
:lol:

MadDuck
9th October 2007, 07:19
Didn't think Gareth was riding at the moment?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA......now thats kinda rough. If it was the big G dont you think I would have named and shamed :yes:

surfchick
9th October 2007, 07:21
hey devil- the suspension adjust ya did did indeed make her stiff as a board...much less malchy..i had to twist it back 2 notches i think as that first adj. was super hard like a boy racers suspension... i did the track day with what would have been one twist(your and mine added together) ..it seemed good to me but might be worth gettin someone else to ride her... any volunteers?:lol::whistle:

jrandom
9th October 2007, 07:48
any volunteers?:lol::whistle:

*Lurch voice*

You rang?

Devil
9th October 2007, 08:17
*Lurch voice*

You rang?

How the hell would you squeeze onto that seat?
*ducks*

I think I may know a guy who knows a guy who could possibly assist...

As for it being hard. Yeah, it's going to be like that, unfortunately you've bought a sportsbike ;)

Keystone19
9th October 2007, 08:49
Good comment about Vince riding on the oil/cement dust. After a reasonably short time, much of the slipperiness was gone. BTW - who else spotted Jill taking the line inside that spill over the hill all the time?

Ahem...I rode the outside line as requested for the first few laps, tried the inside line, had a little slide and then found a non-slippery line over the dust. However my speed and lean were adjusted accordingly as reflected in my lap times...which are not worth repeating here!!! So I was a good girl - particularly in the novice group!!

Devil
9th October 2007, 09:05
So I was a good girl - particularly in the novice group!!

You're such a burglar, Jill. :stupid:

PeteJ
10th October 2007, 16:41
Just a random thought, this one.

My son was riding; his first time ever on a track. He was a bit freaked by the speed on occasion, so I am wondering about advising him to tape over the speedo, as we used to do for proddy racing in prehistory.

Me: I have no speedo on my racebikes, so it was fun to see what the VTR's speedo showed. Compared with what I would expect, I think it is over-reading by 25kph when we were tapped right out down the back straight.

Keystone19
10th October 2007, 17:24
Hi Pete

Yes, I encourage people to tape over their speedos as I was encouraged when I first started out. The main reason is that with it taped over the rider is not tempted to focus on speed and on looking at the speedo when they should be focussing on the track ahead.

Same reasons you guys did it on the old proddy bikes I imagine...

Oh yeah, and I imagine your speedo is over-reading, most seem to from what I have been told.

Leong
10th October 2007, 18:51
Surprisingly, I really enjoyed riding Pukekohe. What a blast!! It's been around a year since I was last riding there. I'm very mindful of the high speeds, and the notoriety of the ciruit. Main aims were to break my 225km/h barrier on the back straight, try out using tyre warmers ( thanks vtec ) and to leave in one piece.

2 things for next time.. faster corners.. and get past 240 on that back straight (i always just held it there instead of going up the last gear to 6th cause the wind felt like a thick-wall of terror) ;) so maybe next go i'll tuck up even smaller and 240 won't feel soo fast. and did i mention the enormous back-off period where I stopped accelerating at the kink?:sweatdrop:sweatdrop in some ways i just can;t quite get my head around how the breaks will manage to stop me going that speed any where near that hairy-pin. as it was i had to bury my knees into the tank moulding to stop myslef popping off the front. thank god ducatis are the shape they are... must work on the inner thighs for that tank grip:yes:

This is exactly how I felt last time I was there only my thick wall of terror was at 225km/h. I realised that tucking in behind the screen really does make a difference to how much front end lift those bumps at the kink cause. This is not helped by having a video camera mounted such that you can't tuck in. The video shows one lap where I tried tucking over to the side, and got to an indicated 275km/h, so that was one goal achieved.

First session, I went out (without video camera) and felt confident straight away. Passed a couple of mates and close to the end of the session saw them ahead of me!!!! Not to let an opportunity pass, I managed to lap these guys and was feeling really good - until coming out of the hairpin on the last lap I lean over a little further and as I get the gas on the rear end lets go. Fortunately its not far to the ground. I stop sliding quite quickly, pick up the bike with the help of a marshall and after a quick inspection, ride back to the pits. Damage is minimal, the worst being a scratched up can. Photo below. Again the crash bung did it's job, and the can stopped any fairing damage on the rear. Unfortunately the cans worth a lot more than the rear side fairing.

Second session. Mount the video camera - Video starts on the third lap ( ten minute limit on Youtube ). Had a bit of fun trying to get past a couple of bigger bikes.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ny6u6wfUbKQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ny6u6wfUbKQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

So bike still goes fine - and luckily I can go home happy. Managed to get away without even a single bruise!!

The track surface down the front straight and entering Jennian was even worse that I recall, and I found myself using my legs as a second set of suspension to keep the bike in contact with the earth there.

I was doing the same and not being used to it, or particularly fit, had the worst case of cramp in the thighs ever that night - NOT good!!

And as for tyre warmers - vey cool to go out with the tyres already feeling tacky - and with fewer heat cycles, the tyres should stay in good condition longer too. Thanks vtec for the use of yours, and thanks Jill for letting me use yours next weekend!! :2thumbsup

As for the next one - Unfortunately it's the same day as the HRC's "Special" Rider Development Day on the A1GP track at Taupo. Theres also the Suzuki Trackday the day after, so I'll be there for the double!! :chase:

Keystone19
10th October 2007, 19:05
Good vid as usual Leong! Well I think you got past your 225kph barrier fairly easily...I saw 275 on that dial I'm sure.

Just out of interest are you getting your knee down around Castrol?

Leong
10th October 2007, 19:21
Good vid as usual Leong! Well I think you got past your 225kph barrier fairly easily...I saw 275 on that dial I'm sure.

Just out of interest are you getting your knee down around Castrol?

Thanks Jill, YES!! First time knee down on the right.... just touching the knee down, not actually doing it consistently and going quicker because of it - need more practice!!!

ArcherWC
10th October 2007, 20:10
way to go Leong, you kicked my ass fair and square, rematch on sat, yeha

ajturbo
10th October 2007, 20:38

Oh shit.....
i slip even further down :Pokey:

Toast
10th October 2007, 21:12
Leong - you got off soooo lightly with that crash, mate! The exhaust was barely even scratched, it was more the twenty buck exhaust strap that took most ot it! :p

275 is flying. Is your bike geared down? Or are those things just that fast?

Didn't see you out on the track at all. Save me from doing the maths on the video? What sorta times were you getting?

Keystone19
10th October 2007, 21:37

Didn't see you out on the track at all. Save me from doing the maths on the video? What sorta times were you getting?

I counted a 1.09 on the vid. I dunno about gearing, but I saw 280 on Gah's bike which is the same spec as far as I know...

Leong
10th October 2007, 21:48
way to go Leong, you kicked my ass fair and square, rematch on sat, yeha
I wasn't mentioning names....

I'm hoping for a DRY track Saturday!!!! :2guns:

Leong - you got off soooo lightly with that crash, mate! The exhaust was barely even scratched, it was more the twenty buck exhaust strap that took most ot it! :p

You know that the exhaust strap can be turned round so the scratched part and the broken rubber can't be seen eh??

Bike's standard cept for the air filter, slip on exhaust and PCIII. Yes, Jill got 280 out of Gah's GSXR-600 K6 running the full Arrows exhaust, but standard filter and no PCIII yet.

I went in the medium group - being a novice at Puke. I was doing mainly 1.09s about 11 seconds faster than the last time I was at Puke!! Pity bout the oil on track later eh!!

NinjaBoy
10th October 2007, 22:28
Bike's standard cept for the air filter, slip on exhaust and PCIII. Yes, Jill got 280 out of Gah's GSXR-600 K6 running the full Arrows exhaust, but standard filter and no PCIII yet.

Almost correct except I've fitted a K&N air filter.

Toast
11th October 2007, 09:21
I wasn't mentioning names....

I'm hoping for a DRY track Saturday!!!! :2guns:

You know that the exhaust strap can be turned round so the scratched part and the broken rubber can't be seen eh??

I went in the medium group - being a novice at Puke. I was doing mainly 1.09s about 11 seconds faster than the last time I was at Puke!! Pity bout the oil on track later eh!!

Damn, those things are fast!

1.09 is pretty good Leong. I reckon subtract at least 1.5, maybe 2s for the rubbish on the track.

The hairpin spill especially hampered the times, 'cos unless you were really confident of your braking accuracy you couldn't haul it up too hard. Aim for the low line and outbrake yourself: you're in the cement dust and on your arse. Aim for the high line and outbrake yourself: you're on the grass and on your arse.

Toast
11th October 2007, 09:23
Almost correct except I've fitted a K&N air filter.

You're probably missing a horsie or two now.

surfchick
11th October 2007, 17:37
Just a random thought, this one.

My son was riding; his first time ever on a track. He was a bit freaked by the speed on occasion, so I am wondering about advising him to tape over the speedo, as we used to do for proddy racing in prehistory.

Me: I have no speedo on my racebikes, so it was fun to see what the VTR's speedo showed. Compared with what I would expect, I think it is over-reading by 25kph when we were tapped right out down the back straight.

he wasn't the only one frieked by the speed actually there was one guy -ming who came in after the first session of slow novice totally white saying he was almost about to call it a day because the slow-novice pace was so fast compared to how he thought it would be... he was even stressing that all the girls were fast. i enjoyed that...thought it was a laugh... he was a nice guy a bit scared to scratch the bike it think (nice nu r6 it were)..