PDA

View Full Version : Computer trouble

Fox Rider
8th October 2007, 15:40
Yes, i know this is the last place to come for Computer trouble (Being a motorbike forum) but apparently a few of you are smart cookies with computers so i thought it was worth a try...

Problem is: Every time i open a program, doesn't matter what it is, It runs fine for about 30 seconds and then crashes and comes up with a error message saying "*The program* has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience
If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.
Please tell Microsoft about this problem, Blah blah blah and make a error report
Send error report? Or don't send?

I always select Don't send because Microsoft couldn't care less about my problems.
Now this has only started since i upgraded from 512mb of Ram to 2gb of Ram but was told that couldn't be the problem...
I was also looking at the Task manager when i opened the programs and it always runs at 100% when it opens and continues to do so till the program crashes, It never did this before the upgrade.

Any ideas?

NighthawkNZ
8th October 2007, 15:43
Do a virus scan and a spyware scan

Try an overlay reinstall of Windows... (just insure you don't format etc) the reinstall the applications

Bren
8th October 2007, 15:48
well my advice is probably biased....Ditch Microsoft and install Linux...look at Suse linux or Ubuntu linux.....Kept me happy for years!

Fox Rider
8th October 2007, 15:53
Do a virus scan and a spyware scan

Try an overlay reinstall of Windows... (just insure you don't format etc) the reinstall the applications

Did a Trendmicro scan last night and found nothing.. AVG has been doing scans and found nothing.
If i was to reinstall windows, would that mean losing everything?

Fox Rider
8th October 2007, 15:54
well my advice is probably biased....Ditch Microsoft and install Linux...look at Suse linux or Ubuntu linux.....Kept me happy for years!

Aw but i like microsoft (When it works)...

Suppose there is always that option if no others that work come up.

Thanks

Usarka
8th October 2007, 15:55
Now this has only started since i upgraded from 512mb of Ram to 2gb of Ram but was told that couldn't be the problem...

don't know much about computers, but do know some problem solving technuiqes:

ever since you put more memory in its crashed? hmmmmmm :sherlock: i think it might be a faulty cd drive..... :lol:

take out the new memory and see if it still crashes?

Fox Rider
8th October 2007, 16:01
don't know much about computers, but do know some problem solving technuiqes:

ever since you put more memory in its crashed? hmmmmmm :sherlock: i think it might be a faulty cd drive..... :lol:

take out the new memory and see if it still crashes?

Cd's? What are they? =p...

It ran fine with the 512mb (Very slow, but fine) and swapped them over last night to see if that was the problem and it didn't crash once.
So yes, taking the 2gb out and replacing it with the 2x 256mb fixes the problem but i want things to run faster :drool:

Is it possible to screw up while putting Ram in?... Is there a certain "Tick in a box" or something?

dhunt
8th October 2007, 16:02
Yes, i know this is the last place to come for Computer trouble (Being a motorbike forum) but apparently a few of you are smart cookies with computers so i thought it was worth a try...

Problem is: Every time i open a program, doesn't matter what it is, It runs fine for about 30 seconds and then crashes and comes up with a error message saying "*The program* has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience
If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.
Please tell Microsoft about this problem, Blah blah blah and make a error report

I always select Don't send because Microsoft couldn't care less about my problems.
I was also looking at the Task manager when i opened the programs and it always runs at 100% when it opens and continues to do so till the program crashes, It never did this before the upgrade.

Any ideas?
Well obviously the first thing to try and easiest is remove the ram. Ram problems can cause all sorts of weird issues.

Beemer
8th October 2007, 16:03
I always head to Press F1 (PC World's helpsite) as there is always someone there who knows what they are talking about and who can give good advice. I had this problem when I bought a computer with XP not long after it was launched - and I had similar problems with Vista - all fine now though!

NighthawkNZ
8th October 2007, 16:04
If i was to reinstall windows, would that mean losing everything?

not if you don't format the drive... Windows should just install over itself and replace any corupted file. You may need to reinstall your applications that you use... Another option is to try a System recovery

Oh course you should always do a backup before you do this.

caesius
8th October 2007, 16:06
Sounds like you're trying to match to DIMMs that aren't the same.

With your new memory configuaration, are the "memory sticks" identical to each other? Or do you have an odd combo of sizes/brands etc? That'll be your prob.

Fox Rider
8th October 2007, 16:07
not if you don't format the drive... Windows should just install over itself and replace any corupted file. You may need to reinstall your applications that you use... Another option is to try a System recovery

Oh course you should always do a backup before you do this.

Well that sounds good i guess, replacing corrupt files is always a good start...
Will give that a go. Got a backup if all turns to crap.

NighthawkNZ
8th October 2007, 16:09
Well that sounds good i guess, replacing corrupt files is always a good start...
Will give that a go. Got a backup if all turns to crap.

take out the new ram and reboot see what happens... Also make sure the ram is in properly and that there is no dust in the conmections. Sometimes when older ports aren't used for a while the can fill with dust and cause problems when you do come to use them...

Fox Rider
8th October 2007, 16:10
Sounds like you're trying to match to DIMMs that aren't the same.

With your new memory configuaration, are the "memory sticks" identical to each other? Or do you have an odd combo of sizes/brands etc? That'll be your prob.

They are exactly the same... 2x ADATA 1GB PC3200 DDR DIMM.. Well thats what it says anyway. DDR400MHz or something

The Stranger
8th October 2007, 16:19
So did i get this straight, you removed the memory again and it all ran sweet, but a bit slower?

As has been said it s posssible the memory types are incompatible with each other or the motherboard, for example some machines wont run ecc and non ecc memory at the same time, even if you switch off ecc in the BIOS.

Some machines require memory to be added in specific configurations, such as only in pairs and/or specific slots etc

It is not uncommon for new memory to be faulty, you could look for a product called memtest86. It is pretty good for testing memory and the price is right.

Did whoever added the memory increase the size of the page file?

ManDownUnder
8th October 2007, 16:20
2 suggestions (not sure if they've been made yet - just jumping right in)

Memory. If you've changed it recently or had the lid off you machine recently it might have done something stupid. See if you can borrow some, that's known to be good and swap it in. Any corrupt bits etc in memory will be removed temporarily and the problem will go away.

Sometimes you can take out one, or other stick of RAM but some memory insists on being installed in matching pairs. If in doubt get someone knowledgeable to take a looksee.

Service packs. Install the latest... again... Refresh any links/drivers/ etc etc etc.

I have my money on #1 (memory) being the problem, #2 is easiest to fix... and try that first!

Good luck

hospitalfood
8th October 2007, 16:27
I think it is the ram. take it back, get your money back. check all the details for specified ram in your machine and start again.
or hit the machine with a truck.

limbimtimwim
8th October 2007, 16:30
Yep, test the memory. Here is that memtest86 program mentioned: http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.3.iso.zip

Burn the ISO in there and boot the computer off it. If the computer doesn't boot off it, go into the BIOS and find where you set what is usually called 'boot priority'.

If the lower half of the screen starts filling with lines of stuff, you have a problem. Try both sets of ram. It's a boring test, and might only show up when the computer is warm. Start it before you go to work or whatever and check on it later. It loops endlessly.

Before swapping around memory, check there are no lights on the motherboard on. Plugged in at the wall but switched off at the wall is the best way of doing it.

Memory can be finicky shit sometimes. You may have a hard time convincing the supplier it is busted because they'll stick it in another computer and test it and it'll be fine. If someone has had a fiddle with the memory timings on your computer it may not be treating it right. See if there is an option in the BIOS to restore some sort of boring factory default, rather than performance defaults.

Fox Rider
8th October 2007, 16:46
So did i get this straight, you removed the memory again and it all ran sweet, but a bit slower?

As has been said it s posssible the memory types are incompatible with each other or the motherboard, for example some machines wont run ecc and non ecc memory at the same time, even if you switch off ecc in the BIOS.

Some machines require memory to be added in specific configurations, such as only in pairs and/or specific slots etc

It is not uncommon for new memory to be faulty, you could look for a product called memtest86. It is pretty good for testing memory and the price is right.

Did whoever added the memory increase the size of the page file?

I took the 2gb out and put the old 512 in and it ran perfectly, but i dont want 512.. I want 2gb so thats where the problem lies.
They are the right sticks for the motherboard and everything is compatible.

Unsure if they increased the size of the page file :confused: Shall find that out.

Could it not be something else?.. Like the processor having a fit because its being over-worked? Its running at 100% for a good 10 seconds everytime a program runs and then the program dies and it goes back to normal

Fox Rider
8th October 2007, 16:49
Will give that memtest thing a try

Fox Rider
8th October 2007, 16:50
I think it is the ram. take it back, get your money back. check all the details for specified ram in your machine and start again.
or hit the machine with a truck.

Hitting the machine with a truck sounds mighty good... If all else fails........ :mad:

The Stranger
8th October 2007, 17:11
I took the 2gb out and put the old 512 in and it ran perfectly, but i dont want 512.. I want 2gb so thats where the problem lies.

Unsure if they increased the size of the page file :confused: Shall find that out.

Could it not be something else?.. Like the processor having a fit because its being over-worked? Its running at 100% for a good 10 seconds everytime a program runs and then the program dies and it goes back to normal

It's fairly usual that the processor usage jumps to max when you open an application - depending on the machine and OS. I wouldn't worry about that, provided it is going back close to zero once the app has started.

Seriously, the simplest explanation is usually the best. If it has only happened sinse you added the memory and goes way when you remove it, that is the simplest explanation.

You aren't running one of those memory recovery programs are you? If you are gt rid of it. Likewise any product from Symantec will slow anything but the latest hardware to a crawl.

cowboyz
8th October 2007, 17:21

I am going to try really hard not to be offensive here but chances are I will fail.

You have a memory problem. On one hand you are saying that if you take the 2gb out then it runs fine and on the other you are saying that the 2gb is compatible with your system. Its not rocket science. Page file (swap file/virtual memory) whatever you want to call it will not cause your system to fall over. Set it to zero for all I care (although you will find some programs will run slower cause they are programmed to look for virtual memory)
Did you buy quality ram or some POS stuff? Quality like kingston will have a lifetime warrenty so return it for some more stuff and see how that works. Some motherboards (cause you problem is definitely a ram-motherboard combo not liking each other OR simply faulty ram) simply dont like some brands of ram especially if it is cheap shit.

You should be listening to Dhunt.stranger and MDU cause their advice is closest to getting your computer working how it should again.

I hate computers.

Deviant
8th October 2007, 18:50
Incompatible RAM- try using the new RAM without the old if you haven't already.

Otherwise I'd say it's just not compatible with your motherboard. It could be faulty, but that's unlikely. Try testing it on someone else's PC and if it works, sell it and replace it with something compatible.

SPman
8th October 2007, 19:18
I had the same trouble - OK with 512, the minute you upgrade, windows crashes! The ram was good quality and matched, didn't matter. The RAM worked fine on everyone elses computer!!!!
In the end I gave up because it is now a spare, but, have you tried a BIOS update?
I'm about to, when I get around to it, but, there are 5 computers in the house and environs, so I haven't been rushed......after a year.......

Lias
8th October 2007, 19:50
As others have said, its the RAM.

The new RAM could be faulty. (least likely unless you didnt take static precautions with it)
The new RAM could be incompatible with the motherboard in your system.
The new RAM could be incompatible with the existing RAM if you are running both. Even if its the right specification some motherboards just dont like some brands of RAM. Especially HP & compaq computers. A bios upgrade MIGHT fix this.

What brand of PC is it, if its a major brand (ie hp etc) what model is it. If its a generic PC what model motherboard is it. Can help troubleshoot.

Fox Rider
8th October 2007, 19:56
It's fairly usual that the processor usage jumps to max when you open an application - depending on the machine and OS. I wouldn't worry about that, provided it is going back close to zero once the app has started.

Seriously, the simplest explanation is usually the best. If it has only happened sinse you added the memory and goes way when you remove it, that is the simplest explanation.

You aren't running one of those memory recovery programs are you? If you are gt rid of it. Likewise any product from Symantec will slow anything but the latest hardware to a crawl.

The processor never declines... It sits at 100% until the program crashes.
I have no programs from symantec so cant do anything there.

It does make sense to blame the memory, I just dont see how it could be considerring it is the correct stuff for the machine. So it would have to be faulty going by what you guys have said.

Fox Rider
8th October 2007, 20:00
I am going to try really hard not to be offensive here but chances are I will fail.

You have a memory problem. On one hand you are saying that if you take the 2gb out then it runs fine and on the other you are saying that the 2gb is compatible with your system. Its not rocket science. Page file (swap file/virtual memory) whatever you want to call it will not cause your system to fall over. Set it to zero for all I care (although you will find some programs will run slower cause they are programmed to look for virtual memory)
Did you buy quality ram or some POS stuff? Quality like kingston will have a lifetime warrenty so return it for some more stuff and see how that works. Some motherboards (cause you problem is definitely a ram-motherboard combo not liking each other OR simply faulty ram) simply dont like some brands of ram especially if it is cheap shit.

You should be listening to Dhunt.stranger and MDU cause their advice is closest to getting your computer working how it should again.

I hate computers.

RAM is from www.dove.co.nz, pretty sure its not cheap shit. Correct, I take the 2GB out and it runs fine (With the 512) and then put the 2GB in and the programs crash.

Fox Rider
8th October 2007, 20:03
As others have said, its the RAM.

The new RAM could be faulty. (least likely unless you didnt take static precautions with it)
The new RAM could be incompatible with the motherboard in your system.
The new RAM could be incompatible with the existing RAM if you are running both. Even if its the right specification some motherboards just dont like some brands of RAM. Especially HP & compaq computers. A bios upgrade MIGHT fix this.

What brand of PC is it, if its a major brand (ie hp etc) what model is it. If its a generic PC what model motherboard is it. Can help troubleshoot.

RAM is compatible with the Motherboard (Have made sure through many people)
Both sticks of RAM are exactly the same and both new.
RAM being faulty sounds like the best option there.

It is a ViewSonic (Unsure of exact model) Unsure where to find all the details and crap... AMD Athlon help? :confused:

cowboyz
8th October 2007, 20:17
viewsonic would be your monitor. AMD athlon thats running DDR400 is pretty generic really and really doesnt make any difference.

PC works with other RAM
PC no work with new RAM
RAM at fault. (whether it be damaged or faulty or incompatible (incompatible means exactly that no matter what your friends mates dog told you about DDR ram being all the same)
So run memtest86 on it cause if you send it back then that is exactly what the shop will do and if it passes they will most probably send it striaght back to you and say bad luck. I havent had anything to do with Adata RAM cause it is not a "quality" brand.

Thinking if you want to delve into something more technical then jump into the bios (hit del (usually says on very start of turning machine on might be f10 or f1 or f2) and check if CAS setttings can be set in BIOS. IF they can set it to auto.

SPman
8th October 2007, 20:24
If its like mine - didn't matter what brand ram or what slot, as long as there was only 512mb. Any more than that and it would crash (I only wanted 2 x 512!!)

cowboyz
8th October 2007, 20:29
that would have to be either a BIOS issue or a power issue. 99% would be putting it down to a bios issue on an extremely crapTM motherboard.

However Athlons +DDR400 should indicate it be good for 4gb unless it is a very very cheap build.

Fox Rider
8th October 2007, 20:37
viewsonic would be your monitor. AMD athlon thats running DDR400 is pretty generic really and really doesnt make any difference.

PC works with other RAM
PC no work with new RAM
RAM at fault. (whether it be damaged or faulty or incompatible (incompatible means exactly that no matter what your friends mates dog told you about DDR ram being all the same)
So run memtest86 on it cause if you send it back then that is exactly what the shop will do and if it passes they will most probably send it striaght back to you and say bad luck. I havent had anything to do with Adata RAM cause it is not a "quality" brand.

Thinking if you want to delve into something more technical then jump into the bios (hit del (usually says on very start of turning machine on might be f10 or f1 or f2) and check if CAS setttings can be set in BIOS. IF they can set it to auto.

Problem fixed.

I think you were right all along... When you were talking about the page file or something, you were meaning under: Right click My Computer, Properties, advanced, Performance Settings, Advanced the Virtual memory yeah?... because my Initial and maximum were set to 667mb and 1038mb so i changed both to 2048mb each and have had no problems so far...

Lias
8th October 2007, 21:05
RAM is compatible with the Motherboard (Have made sure through many people)
Both sticks of RAM are exactly the same and both new.
RAM being faulty sounds like the best option there.

It is a ViewSonic (Unsure of exact model) Unsure where to find all the details and crap... AMD Athlon help? :confused:

As cowboyz says Viewsonic make Monitors :-)
And with all due respect about people saying the RAM is compatible, most people wouldnt have a fucking clue. Just because the motherboards specs says it will take a certain spec ram (eg DDR 400) doesnt mean that Batch XYZ of brand ABC with CAS X and RAS X will work in that motherboard. Believe me testing those minute differences and the issues they caused used to be mine (and MT's) job. Think of it in bike terms as your bike needs 95% ocatane gas, yet the gas from diffrent brands and servos whilst still 95% octane might not always work well with your bike. People can swear on the bible and scientifically prove that gas XYZ is 95% octane, but your bike still just wont run smoothly with it.

I havent had anything to do with Adata RAM cause it is not a "quality" brand.

Adata isnt Kingston, Crucial, OCZ etc, but its not total hung flung dung either.

Fox Rider: If you take the side off your case, you should be able to see the motherboard, which should look something like the attached pic. On the motherboard you should hopefully be able to see a brand and model number, generally its silkscreened on the motherboard in largish letters, or on a sticker with a barcode (sample pic has both, Asus A78NX silkscreened between the white PCI slots, and A78NX Deluxe UAY on a sticker on the purple LPT port housing)

If you can do this and tell us the make of motherboard it might help us help you.

Lias
8th October 2007, 21:18
Problem fixed.

I think you were right all along... When you were talking about the page file or something, you were meaning under: Right click My Computer, Properties, advanced, Performance Settings, Advanced the Virtual memory yeah?... because my Initial and maximum were set to 667mb and 1038mb so i changed both to 2048mb each and have had no problems so far...

Nice, someone may have tried to tweak your BIOS settings for that old RAM, which just didnt work with the new RAM.

With regards to the page file / virtual memory, changing those settings wouldnt have fixed the issue, but I'll try and explain how it works and what you changed. Windows can use space on your hard disk (C: drive) as virtual RAM when it runs out of real RAM. Now this virtual RAM runs a crapload slower than proper RAM, but its better than running out of RAM totally. Windows sets this when you install it, but you can manuall adjust it. Windows generally sets the page file to be dynamic, in that the size can vary, in your case between 667 and 1038mb. This means that the pagefile will be at least 667mb, upto 1038mb. You've changed this to a static pagefile, it will always be 2048mb, and wont adjust itself on the fly. Generally this is the better way of doing things, but the best way of doing things is to have enough real RAM that you basically never swap to the pagefile. Having 2gb is a damn good start in that department.

Hope that makes some sense.

Fox Rider
8th October 2007, 21:24
Nice, someone may have tried to tweak your BIOS settings for that old RAM, which just didnt work with the new RAM.

With regards to the page file / virtual memory, changing those settings wouldnt have fixed the issue, but I'll try and explain how it works and what you changed. Windows can use space on your hard disk (C: drive) as virtual RAM when it runs out of real RAM. Now this virtual RAM runs a crapload slower than proper RAM, but its better than running out of RAM totally. Windows sets this when you install it, but you can manuall adjust it. Windows generally sets the page file to be dynamic, in that the size can vary, in your case between 667 and 1038mb. This means that the pagefile will be at least 667mb, upto 1038mb. You've changed this to a static pagefile, it will always be 2048mb, and wont adjust itself on the fly. Generally this is the better way of doing things, but the best way of doing things is to have enough real RAM that you basically never swap to the pagefile. Having 2gb is a damn good start in that department.

Hope that makes some sense.

I dont know what im doing lol... Yeah it didnt, your dead right.. It seemed to fix it for about 10 minutes then it crashed again so i guess you cant call the fixed...

Ok so i took the case off again and cant find a barcode but have found a whole heap of codes...

KM400A Pro
And a barcode with a huge number underneath that.. Ill type it out anyway, just incase its of any use...
(01) 4710958851949 (21) SN0419500070

Thanks for clearing things up a bit

Fox Rider
8th October 2007, 21:27
Yeah i just realised ViewSonic make monitors lol :Oops: Its a old box with new components in it... Its basically got the standard motherboard in it from years back and had everything else stripped and replaced with new stuff.

boomer
8th October 2007, 21:42
try testing the new ram; fitting one stick of ram and running ya pc, see if the ram is faulty..then try the other new stick..

take teh faulty stick(s) back to said supplier..ONLY after you have checked your mobo configuration for placing 2 sticks of ram, as teh Stranger has told you ;)

Lias
8th October 2007, 22:03
Yeah i just realised ViewSonic make monitors lol :Oops: Its a old box with new components in it... Its basically got the standard motherboard in it from years back and had everything else stripped and replaced with new stuff.

Your not wrong about your motherboard being old :-)

Does it look like this: (also attached incase it dont work)
http://www.albatron.com.tw/English/product/mb/pro_detail.asp?rlink=Overview&no=111
http://www.albatron.com.tw/Public/Images/Product/MB/picture/big/KM400A_pro.jpg

If it does rejoice for we have identified your motherboard :-)
The good news is the specs confirm that the motherboard should happily support up to 4gb of RAM, so that rules one thing out.
The bad news is I'm out of town for the next 4 days, but hopefully one of the other guys here can try and walk you through flashing the bios on it to the latest version to see if that fixes it.
If a bios flash doesnt resolve it, or you dont feel up to do doing it, take the RAM back, get it tested, and if they say it passes ask to swap it to another brand.

PS: Boomer has a point, if you havnt tested it one stick at a time try that. If it works with one and not the other then odds are its just a faulty stick of RAM.

Fox Rider
8th October 2007, 22:10
Your not wrong about your motherboard being old :-)

Does it look like this: (also attached incase it dont work)
http://www.albatron.com.tw/English/product/mb/pro_detail.asp?rlink=Overview&no=111
http://www.albatron.com.tw/Public/Images/Product/MB/picture/big/KM400A_pro.jpg

If it does rejoice for we have identified your motherboard :-)
The good news is the specs confirm that the motherboard should happily support up to 4gb of RAM, so that rules one thing out.
The bad news is I'm out of town for the next 4 days, but hopefully one of the other guys here can try and walk you through flashing the bios on it to the latest version to see if that fixes it.
If a bios flash doesnt resolve it, or you dont feel up to do doing it, take the RAM back, get it tested, and if they say it passes ask to swap it to another brand.

PS: Boomer has a point, if you havnt tested it one stick at a time try that. If it works with one and not the other then odds are its just a faulty stick of RAM.

That looks very similar.. Although i have a giant fan where that white box is but i doubt thats going to make any difference. Oh and mines green but apart from that... :2thumbsup
If i had someone talking me through it id feel up to it but otherwise nope, Just incase i touch something im not suppose to.

Im sure someone else on here will know how to do it so ill ask around.
Thanks for your help. Will let ya know if that fixes it or not.

scracha
8th October 2007, 22:24
Wot Lias sez about Memtest86 etc but no doubt there'll be lots of idiots giving you helpful advice like "run Linux".

Let Windows manage your pagefile unless you know what you're doing. Try running it with just one of the 1GB sticks. Oh, and XP has problems hibernating with >1GB ram unless you apply a few MS Patches.

Big Dog
8th October 2007, 22:26

Any ideas?

Have not read all posts so sorry if repeating someone else but I had just this problem last year when I upgraded to 2gb of ram.
Take one stick out it runs fine, both in programs keep crashing and you get the occasional system failure.

Cause: MOBO (MOB = Mother Board) specs say it takes 2gb but the BIOS is not equiped to manage it because at the time that your MOBO was manufactured no one was that mad.

Contact the manufacturer of your MOBO for a new BIOS and the software to update it.
If you do not have access to Uninteruptable Power Supply PRAY. Stopping a BIOS update midway is almost alway fatal to the Mother Board.

The Stranger
8th October 2007, 22:48
Problem fixed.

That if it is still that case that it is running ok, I would suggest setting both the min and max to 1.5 times your physical ram.

scracha
8th October 2007, 22:53
Contact the manufacturer of your MOBO for a new BIOS and the software to update it.
If you do not have access to Uninteruptable Power Supply PRAY. Stopping a BIOS update midway is almost alway fatal to the Mother Board.

I've killed a few of the older ones that way (and some ADSL modems) :-) The newer boards have a "spare" bios

RantyDave
8th October 2007, 23:02
Just because the motherboards specs says it will take a certain spec ram (eg DDR 400) doesnt mean that Batch XYZ of brand ABC with CAS X and RAS X will work in that motherboard. Believe me testing those minute differences and the issues they caused used to be mine (and MT's) job.
It's amazing how building your own computer got to be such a complicated pastime. And you still end up persuading people that engineers at Dell do actually work for their money.

Dave

The Stranger
8th October 2007, 23:11
I've killed a few of the older ones that way

A little trick there.
If a BIOS update does go bad and if it has a removable BIOS and you can source an identical motherboard.
Boot the working motherboard to DOS, whip out the good BIOS chip whilst it is running, insert the poked one, flash in a new BIOS, shut it down and swap the BIOS chips back. You will in most cases recover the board.

Fox Rider
8th October 2007, 23:19
That if it is still that case that it is running ok, I would suggest setting both the min and max to 1.5 times your physical ram.

So set the min and max to 3gb?

cowboyz
9th October 2007, 05:42
A little trick there.
If a BIOS update does go bad and if it has a removable BIOS and you can source an identical motherboard.
Boot the working motherboard to DOS, whip out the good BIOS chip whilst it is running, insert the poked one, flash in a new BIOS, shut it down and swap the BIOS chips back. You will in most cases recover the board.
jesus christ stranger. 10 mins ago the guy was saying hiw monitor was the make of his PC. Lets leave the hotswaps alone huh?

So set the min and max to 3gb?

Set it to zero. reboot. goto C drive. find a file called c:/pagefile.sys and delete it. reboot. set your pagefile to be managed by windows and forget about it for now. Playing round with it will not solve your problem.

get back to the basics. go into your bios and set everything to factory default. then try 1 stick of ram then 2.

The Stranger
9th October 2007, 07:20
jesus christ stranger. 10 mins ago the guy was saying hiw monitor was the make of his PC. Lets leave the hotswaps alone huh?

Set it to zero. reboot. goto C drive. find a file called c:/pagefile.sys and delete it. reboot. set your pagefile to be managed by windows and forget about it for now. Playing round with it will not solve your problem.

get back to the basics. go into your bios and set everything to factory default. then try 1 stick of ram then 2.

You would think the nerds could at least agree on something on KB wouldn't you.
My policy on Page files is to wherever possible move them to a separate drive along with all temp files.
When that isn't practical or possible set the page file myself. So yes set the min and max to 3Gb.
Why? Fragmentation. As the page file and temp file space requirements change very frequently they are one of the primary reasons causes of HDD fragmentation.

Fox Rider
9th October 2007, 10:54
You would think the nerds could at least agree on something on KB wouldn't you.
My policy on Page files is to wherever possible move them to a separate drive along with all temp files.
When that isn't practical or possible set the page file myself. So yes set the min and max to 3Gb.
Why? Fragmentation. As the page file and temp file space requirements change very frequently they are one of the primary reasons causes of HDD fragmentation.

Got none of the other stuff but understood the 3gb part haha.

Will do that now.

Was talking to another guy about it and he says "Yes, flash the bios" Or something along the lines of that and says that on the motherboard there is a 3 pin do hiky and by swapping something over there it resets it...?
Should i be touching things like that or should i be downloading the upgrade files to a floppy and rebooting off that?

cowboyz
9th October 2007, 20:04
hmmmm.. ever heard the saying "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing?"

boomer
10th October 2007, 16:36
TEST YA RAM LIKE I TOLD YA AND IF THAT DOESNT WORK DON'T TRY ANYTHING ELSE OTHER THAN TAKING THE PC TO THE SHOP AND ASKING FOR HELP!

':blank:

Max Preload
14th October 2007, 09:07
Was talking to another guy about it and he says "Yes, flash the bios" Or something along the lines of that and says that on the motherboard there is a 3 pin do hiky and by swapping something over there it resets it...?
Should i be touching things like that or should i be downloading the upgrade files to a floppy and rebooting off that?

That 3-pin is to clear the CMOS not "reset" the BIOS. Judging from your level computer illiteracy I'd say you shouldn't be doing anything, but that's your call.

Fox Rider
14th October 2007, 10:29
That 3-pin is to clear the CMOS not "reset" the BIOS. Judging from your level computer illiteracy I'd say you shouldn't be doing anything, but that's your call.

Thanks man, Thats just what i need, Some cocky dick driving someone thats looking for help into the ground.

Keep your comments to yourself next time aye

scracha
14th October 2007, 16:43
Thanks man, Thats just what i need, Some cocky dick driving someone thats looking for help into the ground.

Fox, in all fairness he's trying to save you from completely @#4ckin it up. It'd be like me trying to swap an engine.

Fox Rider
14th October 2007, 16:52
Fox, in all fairness he's trying to save you from completely @#4ckin it up. It'd be like me trying to swap an engine.

There are other ways of saying it.

cowboyz
14th October 2007, 16:59
yeah, there are. But do you want good advice or polite advice?

Max Preload
14th October 2007, 18:39

Yeah, whatever pal. Fuck it up if you like, then come back and bleat some more.

Max Preload
14th October 2007, 18:41
yeah, there are. But do you want good advice or polite advice?

It appears he doesn't actually want any advice. Or perhaps it's just that huge chip about Aucklanders they have on their shoulders down there.