PDA

View Full Version : Women's motorcycle magazine

chicksnleather
8th October 2007, 18:38
My name is Cheryl and I am starting up a Women's motorcycle magazine and would like to know if your members would like to send me some articles and photo's to include varying from how they got started; the trips and rallies they have done, what it's like for women motorcyclists in this male dominated area etc.

I would also be very interested in any feedback by your members as to the type of articles etc that they would like to see in this magazine and what would prompt them to buy it.

Please feel free to contact me should you have any questions on 04 9709847 evening or 021 1765790.

Many thanks for your help and I look forward to receiving your response.

Kind regards:done:
Cheryl Klaui

sunhuntin
8th October 2007, 19:02
im going to be riding wanganui to invers and back to taupo and then home again the end of november. ill be keeping a diary, and would be happy to have it printed as a mini column, if you are interested? photos are guaranteed as well.

as for what would prompt me to buy it?
the only bike magazine i buy is old bike australasia... the photos in that are of bikes and their owners. they dont ruin a perfectly good photo by posing some plastic fantastic tart on top... thats the main reason i DONT buy easyrider etc.

well written articles, nice clear photos, lots of reader participation. try not to focus on one style of bike, have a good mix of sports, cruiser and racers [both on and off track, so dirt bikes etc]

Xaria
8th October 2007, 19:03
Good luck with your magazine

Hitcher
8th October 2007, 19:09
Employ a proofreader. I know a couple of women bikers who would be happy to assist with this important task.

Trudes
8th October 2007, 19:15
Oh, I'll do the proofreading, I love to point out other people's stuff ups!!

Mag sounds cool, can't wait to see it!!

NighthawkNZ
8th October 2007, 19:20
Many thanks for your help and I look forward to receiving your response.

I can do some graphic artistry if you need it and or layout design, advert design etc... use to work for a paper and have done a few magazine layouts as well...

Drum
8th October 2007, 19:21
Good luck with your magazine, talk about a small demographic!

bert_is_evil
8th October 2007, 20:38
oooh sounds fun! Can I suggest interviewing a few of the KB chicks who race.

Keystone19
9th October 2007, 08:54
Chicks who stunt and race...need a few pages on this stuff to keep it interesting...

Keystone19
9th October 2007, 08:55
Oh, and lots of pics of hunky guys who ride bikes - preferably sportsbikes...

007XX
9th October 2007, 09:10
Sounds like a great idea to me...

What would make me buy it? Unbiaised, accurate feedback on bikes, in terms I can understand and that won't bore me to tears because I don't do mechanic terminology like the boys...write ups on decent female riding gear that doesn't cost the Earth...How to deal with the interaction / introduction of kids to bikes...

ie: I want to know from a woman's point of view why the CBR600 is better than the 675...it doesn't have to be about horsepower (although it is part of it), but more about rideability, comfort on long rides, how forgiving the bike would be for newbie riders' little mistakes. That sort of thing has been on topic with a lot of women I have talked to at events such as Cold Kiwi, Cold Duck,etc.

Funnily enough, a lot of the topics held in KB would be fantastic in a mag if explored a little, but I wonder if there might be an issue with plagiarism??

I had written a couple of articles for an Auckland bike mag a couple of years back and really enjoyed it. Contact me if you'd like to see an example of my work.

Cheers

Meekey_Mouse
9th October 2007, 10:11
Sounds awesome

Things that would make me buy it would be a sensible price, articles on racing, stunting, touring trips and FMX.

Also as 007XX said "ie: I want to know from a woman's point of view why the CBR600 is better than the 675...it doesn't have to be about horsepower (although it is part of it), but more about rideability, comfort on long rides, how forgiving the bike would be for newbie riders' little mistakes. That sort of thing has been on topic with a lot of women I have talked to at events such as Cold Kiwi, Cold Duck,etc."

I'm getting my full license next year and would love to know what bikes are a good step up etc..

Hope it goes well and good on ya for going for it :2thumbsup

fergie
9th October 2007, 10:17
good luck with the mag,when are you releasing it?

Her_C4
9th October 2007, 10:18

+1 .......... :gob: :scooter:

007XX
9th October 2007, 10:34

+1 .......... :gob: :scooter:

I don't mind being on the casting bench! :devil2: :laugh:I got really high standards...:whistle:

Lteejay
9th October 2007, 11:17
Good luck with the mag chick. As long as the stories were informative and not full of fluff then I would take a looksee. Covering achievements of female riders around the world, lots of pics of sexy bikes and bike gear. Will buy the first copy when I see it out. Further purchases will be based on the content of the first one. Hope its great.

sarahtvet
9th October 2007, 12:17
Sounds like it will be a fun mag. Never written any articles but take lots of pics on the many manawatu rides and happy to work on the ride reports to get them to article standard if it will help. Don't exclude articles by men too many have interesting and useful things to say and an unbiased magazine would be a joy:yes:

MotoGirl
9th October 2007, 12:36
I am starting up a Women's motorcycle magazine and would like to know if your members would like to send me some articles and photo's...

Like everyone else has said, it sounds like a cool idea. I'd be happy to contribute articles or whatever.

A quick question though: is your mag going to include both road and offroad? Some people will find it a waste of money when half the magazine's content isn't relevant to them. Just my 2cents.

MotoGirl
9th October 2007, 12:38
Covering achievements of female riders around the world, lots of pics of sexy bikes and bike gear.

I think this is a great idea. Some of those female racers are HOT! It would be a good way to encourage guys to buy the mag too :2thumbsup

007XX
9th October 2007, 12:45
Like everyone else has said, it sounds like a cool idea. I'd be happy to contribute articles or whatever.

A quick question though: is your mag going to include both road and offroad? Some people will find it a waste of money when half the magazine's content isn't relevant to them. Just my 2cents.

That's a very good point...I know that's the reason 007XY doesn't buy the Kiwi Rider anymore...not saying its a bad mag however, but it is a pain...

Maybe it could be based on a feature idea, not half the mag. There are some awesome female dirtbike riders out there...very gutsy chicks :2thumbsup But yes, not half the mag!

sunhuntin
9th October 2007, 13:18
That's a very good point...I know that's the reason 007XY doesn't buy the Kiwi Rider anymore...not saying its a bad mag however, but it is a pain...

Maybe it could be based on a feature idea, not half the mag. There are some awesome female dirtbike riders out there...very gutsy chicks :2thumbsup But yes, not half the mag!

another idea would be to alternate, have one magazine dedicated to touring, with the next dedicated to all forms of racing, and then the next would be touring again? both of course containing a mix bike styles etc.

007XX
9th October 2007, 13:26
another idea would be to alternate, have one magazine dedicated to touring, with the next dedicated to all forms of racing, and then the next would be touring again? both of course containing a mix bike styles etc.

Mmmmm, interesting idea :clap:...I'm just not sure as to how easy it would be to get enough articles on the one topic at the time to make a whole mag. I guess it would have to depend on how many pages are to make the mag in the first place.

Also, you'd have to consider the fact that this would mean one time out of two (at least), your readers may not be interested in one of the topics...

But eh, that's not for me to say anyway...I'm no editor! :o

SDU
9th October 2007, 13:29

Don't forget the dirty boys:devil2:

Good luck with the mag.
I'd be keen to buy if you get interesting articles from across the board - from trails to road racing to road & off road adventures & off course good bike & gear info. It doesn't need to be half & half just varied.

QMOTO
9th October 2007, 13:52
Im interested in supporting it with Advertising, maybe drop me a PM with your Rate Card info.

BuFfY
9th October 2007, 13:57

mmm I agree!

I don't mind being on the casting bench! :devil2: :laugh:I got really high standards...:whistle:

Ooh I will help ya! Could be a fun day out :)

One thing I find when I pick up a bike mag is that it is either full of skanky girls, or it is written in a language I don't understand. I would really love to know more about bikes, but I find when I try to learn I don't understand it at all!!

Best of luck with your mag :)

avgas
9th October 2007, 14:31
Once it up and running, someone please drop me a pm with the name and where i can get one for the misses.
Cheers
Stew

deanohit
9th October 2007, 14:39
Sounds like a cool idea, I find some of the current male mags a bit one eyed in their topics, some diversity in a mag would be nice.
I'd buy a copy to check it out, yea, uh, for the missus.:shifty:

NighthawkNZ
9th October 2007, 14:54

that me out... 2 out 3 not bad tho... :D

BMW
9th October 2007, 16:59
Do not for the breast cancer ride this weekend! get the cameras out!!

Coyote
9th October 2007, 17:23
Also as 007XX said "ie: I want to know from a woman's point of view why the CBR600 is better than the 675...it doesn't have to be about horsepower (although it is part of it), but more about rideability, comfort on long rides, how forgiving the bike would be for newbie riders' little mistakes. That sort of thing has been on topic with a lot of women I have talked to at events such as Cold Kiwi, Cold Duck,etc."
It's be good if all bikes mags talked about that. Sure, it's good to know the ABC600 is 0.02 seconds faster around the Madagascan circuit than the XYZ600, but in real life that doesn't really matter.

Sounds like a good magazine. Chicks on bikes, wearing leather... :shifty:

flame
9th October 2007, 18:15
Sounds great. :2thumbsup

GMGirl
9th October 2007, 19:52
Yeah this sounds great but yeah definitely keep mag informative of bike reviews from female perspective and yeah features on new bike gear out is always a bonus too. Would be good to maybe have a bike maintenance section as a monthly feature, so we can do those things that guys think that they can only do :bleh:. I am keen as, and happy to contribute where possible. So please put me on your mailing list should you need new ideas etc. :rolleyes:

trump-lady
9th October 2007, 20:03
A great idea and Id be happy to help in anyway. I think women who dont have bikes would read it too as I know many women ask me about my bike and what its like riding. How they always thought of it but never did. There are definately more and more women riders however we are not as good as the Americans. When I was riding there there were alot of women, perhaps with a mag like this we can get our numbers up! I would love you to get ahold of ebay distributors for female bike gear. I have a flamboyant baby blue/pink leathers but there are lots of feminine "not so out there" but womanly jackets/pants etc. (eg NOT BLACK) New Zealand is limited in choices and I get asked all the time where I got mine. Anyways let me know if I can help in anyway :)

jafar
9th October 2007, 20:15
Sounds like an excellent idea, women are riding bikes more & more as it becomes trendy.

La cook is always pinching my bike mags so it would be nice to be able to pinch hers once in a while :lol:

sunhuntin
9th October 2007, 20:39
I would love you to get ahold of ebay distributors for female bike gear. I have a flamboyant baby blue/pink leathers but there are lots of feminine "not so out there" but womanly jackets/pants etc. (eg NOT BLACK) New Zealand is limited in choices and I get asked all the time where I got mine. Anyways let me know if I can help in anyway :)

while in canada, i saw some wicked leathers! they had like a stencil of a rose cut out, with colored seude put behind it [red or blue were two colors i saw] and they looked really nice.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ladies-Leather-Jacket-with-fringe-and-Red-Rose-Inlays_W0QQitemZ260168958606QQihZ016QQcategoryZ638 62QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i think i also saw pants to match, but cant be 100% sure.

Nicksta
9th October 2007, 21:09
cool ideas people.....
you could also include a girlie workshop section... things we do on our bikes.... and special girly topics... like i got lowering links for my Gix... and can do a piece on installing them and setting up the bike to suit the lowering....
but yeah, get out and interview chicks on the dirt, track and road.... and im totally for a hunky guy biker section :)

Hitcher
9th October 2007, 21:10
Not forgetting the essential biker babe's tips and tricks for motorcycle touring.

QMOTO
9th October 2007, 21:38
I have a flamboyant baby blue/pink leathers but there are lots of feminine "not so out there" but womanly jackets/pants etc. (eg NOT BLACK) New Zealand is limited in choices and I get asked all the time where I got mine. Anyways let me know if I can help in anyway :)

Like this then, sheesh me worked hard for you girl bikers, its all here for you, and If it aint I will make it for you.

mazz1972
9th October 2007, 23:03

...amd I'm the opposite as I'm more interested in the offroad side of things, adventure riding and a bit of touring. Racing, sportsbike stuff etc doesn't interest me at all...

It will be hard to please everyone as whatever the majority of content is will never appeal to everyone.

Good luck!

shafty
10th October 2007, 05:57
Great idea - good luck; I'd suggest for each bike you test/review, you start a seat index - ie not just the seat height, but a measurement from the ground, up and over the riders portion of the seat, down to the ground again. My Lady like many isn't tall enough to ride many bikes, and seat height alone isn't a fair indicator, - the width of the seat makes a big diff too.

Ongoing info on lowering of bikes would appeal to many Lady Riders also I believe. Rather than 50/50 Road and Dirt, maybe a small dirt section - of course Katherine Prumm, our latest World Champoin (Motocross) amongst other LAdy role models..............:clap:

klingon
10th October 2007, 07:50
Yay for a bike magazine aimed at me! :banana:

I would be interested in articles telling the story of the people behind the bikes. The women who ride, race, sell, service, etc. The bikes themselves are interesting, but the people make it twice as interesting.

As someone said, the forums here could be a great source of topics for articles, especially those perennial "what first bike?" questions. Here are some topics I would like to see covered:
- What first bike?
- How does the licensing process work?
- What gear should I get? (And where to get women's gear)
- Where do I go to learn to ride?
- Should I get a motorbike or a scooter?
- Kids as pillions
- Pregnancy and bikes
- How to meet other biker chicks (without being hounded by the boys) :chase:
- Quiet practise spots in the main urban centres
- Bling my bike!

I hope you'll have a launch party with bubbles & prizes & stuff :D
I'll be there!

Rosie
10th October 2007, 08:03
Great idea - good luck; I'd suggest for each bike you test/review, you start a seat index - ie not just the seat height, but a measurement from the ground, up and over the riders portion of the seat, down to the ground again. My Lady like many isn't tall enough to ride many bikes, and seat height alone isn't a fair indicator, - the width of the seat makes a big diff too.

Ongoing info on lowering of bikes would appeal to many Lady Riders also I believe. Rather than 50/50 Road and Dirt, maybe a small dirt section - of course Katherine Prumm, our latest World Champoin (Motocross) amongst other LAdy role models..............:clap:

The first thing I look at in a bike review is the seat height :laugh:

If I were to buy the magazine, it would need to have a fairly diverse content. At the moment I read Kiwirider, and generally read the whole lot except for the competition sections. I've just bought a dual sport bike, so am becoming increasingly interested in the off road section. If the magazine was mainly sports bikes and topless men, I would lose interest fairly quickly :zzzz:

The main things that tend to interest me in a bike magazine are reviews/ads for women's gear (on and off road), interviews with female motorbikers (especially Katherine :first:) and trip reports of interesting places people go riding.

As a newer rider, I like to hear about other people's experiences learning to ride on road, getting into adventure/trail riding etc.

I think women who ride motorbikes are a pretty diverse bunch, so it will be difficult to get a mix of topics that is going to interest everyone.

Featuring readers and their bikes would be interesting, especially if there was a diverse range of bikes, and info about why they chose that bike, any modifications they have done to make it suit them better etc.

How-to articles on basic maintenance, riding techniques (on and off road) etc would be interesting.

Good luck!

Hitcher
10th October 2007, 08:51
Interestingly that while female riders are interested in the seat height, manufacturers and dealers aren't. "Take it, leave it, or do your own customisation after you've bought it" seems to be the mantra for those involved in the motorcycle supply chain.

So therefore a useful section could be about shorter female riders who have modified their bikes or themselves to make them manageable at low speed and at rest. Suspension and seat mods for various popular models, enhanced footwear, that sort of thing. Also what has been attempted and didn't work. There are many myths and legends about what is possible/practicable about modifying the ride height of bikes -- most promulgated by showroom greasers who want a quick commission.

Pwalo
10th October 2007, 10:50
Is this a magazine that's going to be just for NZ? I reckon you might struggle to get a big enough market to make this a viable proposition except as a six monthly, or perhaps bi monthly (that sounded good) publication.

Please I'm not saying it's not a good idea, but perhaps a web based publication (e zine?) would be a better start.

And it's not just women who are vertically challenged. The SVs manageable, but anything over 810mm seat height is a bit of a struggle.

sunhuntin
10th October 2007, 11:42
Is this a magazine that's going to be just for NZ? I reckon you might struggle to get a big enough market to make this a viable proposition except as a six monthly, or perhaps bi monthly (that sounded good) publication.

Please I'm not saying it's not a good idea, but perhaps a web based publication (e zine?) would be a better start.

And it's not just women who are vertically challenged. The SVs manageable, but anything over 810mm seat height is a bit of a struggle.

the old bike mag i get started last year as 2 issues for the whole year. this year, they increased it to 4, with the most recent due last month [but my work hasnt yet stocked it, grrrrr]

rosie... yeh, sprotsbikes and topless guys would get boring, just like topless chicks. a mix of everything would be good.
maybe some of the ladies here could be interviewed and have a photo spread done... we have some top photographers on this site.
topics for interview could be, what bike, why, milage [put on by current owner, previous owners wouldnt count], where have you ridden on any bike, longest trip, places you stayed [or whether you slept with the bike roadside] etc. id like to learn more about some members here without having to hunt out past threads etc.

Meekey_Mouse
10th October 2007, 12:43
I'll be there!

I'd be there :2thumbsup:banana:

Lteejay
10th October 2007, 12:55
I'll be there!

ditto that

fireball
10th October 2007, 12:56
I'll be there!

id so be there too! chicks and bikes nothing better!

Lteejay
10th October 2007, 13:01
I'll be there!

I'd be there :2thumbsup:banana:

ditto that

id so be there too! chicks and bikes nothing better!

hahaha - listen to us, any excuse for a drink and a chance to talk about bikes and bollocks

fireball
10th October 2007, 13:04
hahaha - listen to us, any excuse for a drink and a chance to talk about bikes and bollocks

thats how we roll!!!

bikes are a lifestyle choice they are good for you why not talk about the good things while drinking a good thing! :2thumbsup

yeah any excuse to have a drink and talk bikes a bullshit!

007XX
10th October 2007, 13:08

Hehehe...not that different from the boys then, are we? :dodge::laugh:

Lteejay
10th October 2007, 13:15
Hehehe...not that different from the boys then, are we? :dodge::laugh:

except for the nasty dangly bits :p

**takes it back, because if other half reads this I might be banned from dangly bits**

sunhuntin
10th October 2007, 13:19

**takes it back, because if other half reads this I might be banned from dangly bits**

i dunno about you, but ive got dangly bits... just furthur north than mens are... though with time, they are going furthur south. :doh:

007XX
10th October 2007, 13:21

:eek: Shame on you girlfriend...don't you remember the unspoken vow we all have had to make (well, except for Lilsel and Fireball of course :o :laugh:):

"Thou shalt not deece the Dangly Bits, for fear He Who Should be treated carefully, may never let you again play "Hide the Sausage"!!!!

Or something like that...:blank: :lol:

Lteejay
10th October 2007, 13:24
i dunno about you, but ive got dangly bits... just furthur north than mens are... though with time, they are going furthur south. :doh:

:rofl:

think ive highjacked thread - Womens Bike Mag - awesome idea

Paul in NZ
10th October 2007, 13:26

Don't worry, experience tells an old dog like me that time and gravity will eventually provide you with your own nasty dangly bits - the locatings different but the dangle is similar.. :angry2:

Lteejay
10th October 2007, 13:26
:eek: Shame on you girlfriend...don't you remember the unspoken vow we all have had to make (well, except for Lilsel and Fireball of course :o :laugh:):

"Thou shalt not deece the Dangly Bits, for fear He Who Should be treated carefully, may never let you again play "Hide the Sausage"!!!!

Or something like that...:blank: :lol:

:2thumbsup:

Lteejay
10th October 2007, 13:30
Don't worry, experience tells an old dog like me that time and gravity will eventually provide you with your own nasty dangly bits - the locatings different but the dangle is similar.. :angry2:

Now come on, what does that have to do with a Womens bike mag :bleh:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

007XX
10th October 2007, 13:40
Now come on, what does that have to do with a Womens bike mag :bleh:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well, you have to cater for all ages...:innocent:

But you're right, we don't this one to flounder, so...

How about (when things are organised and settled a bit), an idea such as a star panel of famous Kiwi chick riders as well? I'm sure that a few well known adventurous women out there are also bikers?

It would make for some cool interviews, and would give a broader perspective of the "biker" image too...

Lteejay
10th October 2007, 13:44
I'd love to hear about how the women out there got into racing. There are a few on here that might be happy to share.

007XX
10th October 2007, 13:47
I'd love to hear about how the women out there got into racing. There are a few on here that might be happy to share.

You're quite right...Keystone 19 is one of them, and she is a fascinating woman to talk to...

I'd put my hand up to do the interview immediately!

Paul in NZ
10th October 2007, 13:51
The original poster has only 1 post thus far? Bit early for interviews methinks..

There is an american ladies bike mag I seem to recall - it was quite nice and had great ad's for chaps.... (the leather sort)

007XX
10th October 2007, 14:00
The original poster has only 1 post thus far? Bit early for interviews methinks..

But I haven't...and I'm pretty sure Jill wouldn't mind a bit of exposure!

So I'm not sure what your point was, sorry.

Paul in NZ
10th October 2007, 16:28
But I haven't...and I'm pretty sure Jill wouldn't mind a bit of exposure!

So I'm not sure what your point was, sorry.

My point was that 'most' of us can only go on what we see here which is a single post - then silence from the original poster and a few (seemingly) large steps forwards. You probably know Jill and shes is doubtless a great person with a really worthy goal and well advanced towards publication. It's a tricky market to crack and it already has a several strong players but I'm sure you know that too. It's none of my damn business what people wanna do of course and there was no intention to offend anyone - I'm sorry you took it that way!

chicksnleather
10th October 2007, 17:48
Hi everyone

Thank you very much for the overwhelming support and comments in relation to the Women's magazine - would be looking at launching this in January next year as will take time to pull all of the items and layout together.

Will definitely be in contact with people regarding their stories and advertising.

Keep the ideas coming as they are great!

klingon
10th October 2007, 17:59
My point was that 'most' of us can only go on what we see here which is a single post - then silence from the original poster and a few (seemingly) large steps forwards. You probably know Jill and shes is doubtless a great person with a really worthy goal and well advanced towards publication. It's a tricky market to crack and it already has a several strong players but I'm sure you know that too. It's none of my damn business what people wanna do of course and there was no intention to offend anyone - I'm sorry you took it that way!

I think there's some confusion!
chicksnleather = Cheryl
Keystone19 = Jill

007XX wants to interview Jill, regardless of whether Cheryl publishes the result. sorted? :niceone:

Jaxi
10th October 2007, 18:18
Sounds, cool....

I would love to see some articles on Adventure Motorcycling as it seems people are getting more and more keen on the idea....

But everything from info on getting into biking, to interviewes with the girls that are out there racing would be a good read!

Cheers
Jacqui

007XX
11th October 2007, 08:14

:niceone:no, no it's ok, you're not offending in any way...I was just enquiring as to the meaning of your question, not telling you to back off or anything like that...as I'm sure you are aware (as much as I), written dialogues can be misleading in their nature and I was just curious as to what you meant...

So, to clarify: Jill Clendon is Keystone 19, an awesome lady who happens to also be racing. She has loads of interesting anecdotes and would look really good on celluloid too, so I thought she'd be an ideal start...

And yes, it is a tricky market to get into. A friend started the "Brass" mag some years ago, and I saw him going through the hurdles that it entailed...
However, in this present instance, I think Chickinleather is being quite smart...she is sourcing infos and ideas straight from her potencial purchaser and getting what a lot of corporate companies would pay a lot of money for: Brainstorming and market research. It's brilliant!

As far as the other strong players out there, I have yet to see a decent mag that caters for ladies riders, so I think this idea has got more than a fighting chance!!!:niceone:

Paul in NZ
11th October 2007, 08:53
There is a lot of history to fill such a magazine...

eg

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/hofbiopage.asp?id=285

Imagine getting arrested for wearing 'mens clothes' ie leathers...

Stroker Girl
11th October 2007, 09:24
:niceone: Wow, there some great suggestions are coming through for the mag. A couple of ideas...

Rider training day/track day reviews - Would be interesting to hear the rider experiences, what sort of training was offered/how much track time/what the instruction was like?

Monthly calendar - upcoming events, track days, organised rides etc....

All the best for the launch next year.

chicksnleather
11th October 2007, 19:30
Hi

Glad to see that you are interested in articles on Adventure biking - yes I agree there is a lot of interest in this area - would your or anyone else like to do an article on this topic for the magazine and some pictures - please note that the pictures need to be high resolution for printing.

Look forward to receiving your article.

Cheers
Chicksnleather

chicksnleather
11th October 2007, 19:42
Hi Paul

Thank you for your feedback whether it is negative or positive it is taken on board - I am aware that this is going to be a very hard market to break into however, I am hoping that all of this research will help set up what will be a really good magazine and like everything it is always going to be a work in progress of which I will rely heavily on my readers comments to ensure that I am on track or need to adjust things slightly.

Cheers
Cheryl (Chicksnleather)

Trudes
12th October 2007, 07:30
You should come along on a Wellington chicks ride, I'm sure you'll get lots of 'material' for your mag, and some photos, we usually get a lot of 'LOOKS' from passers by and semi-interested people checking out all the gals on their bikes.

bert_is_evil
12th October 2007, 08:28
Perhaps we could convince Flame to pop a few wheelies for the camera (on a private road of course)

deanohit
12th October 2007, 08:38
That would make an awesome cover shot for the first issue IMO.

Lteejay
12th October 2007, 12:08
Perhaps we could convince Flame to pop a few wheelies for the camera (on a private road of course)

Sweet - that would make a great front cover

surfchick
12th October 2007, 18:15
good luck kicking off the mag au-

things i'd have liked starting out riding would be definitions of types of bikes & that there are dif. kinds of bikes for different styles of riding approaches. i totally bought the wrong kind of bike-getting a cruiser and later coming to the horrible realisation i wanted way more speed and cornering... doh:baby:

now i'd like to see track-days covered, races covered, dirt stuff covered. nu bikes and info on good used older bikes that people would be likely to be able to source in NZ used market. also esp. adventure riding info-good local & other backcountry trails and routes etc lots of pix too. don't wanna read all day ;)

Also I've been trying to get motorcycle antics into the art-world that I'm part of and so far I'm getting somewhere with the project as well as a some funding to make bigger video-art projects connected with motorcycling
the TV3 nightline article is here

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2uDdCAPMjqs

the art-motorcycle exhibition description is here:
http://www.filmarchive.org.nz/newsarticles/NewsList/2007/08/24-08-07-Alex-Monteith.htm

in future hopefully jill and i will cook up a little something and after that's done, coook up an even bigger something ;)

chicksnleather
13th October 2007, 11:15
Would love for you to provide me with an article on this and photo's - might not make the first edition but will definitely put into second.

Cheers
Chicksnleather:2thumbsup

im going to be riding wanganui to invers and back to taupo and then home again the end of november. ill be keeping a diary, and would be happy to have it printed as a mini column, if you are interested? photos are guaranteed as well.

as for what would prompt me to buy it?
the only bike magazine i buy is old bike australasia... the photos in that are of bikes and their owners. they dont ruin a perfectly good photo by posing some plastic fantastic tart on top... thats the main reason i DONT buy easyrider etc.

well written articles, nice clear photos, lots of reader participation. try not to focus on one style of bike, have a good mix of sports, cruiser and racers [both on and off track, so dirt bikes etc]

chicksnleather
13th October 2007, 11:19
Hi Surfchick

Thanks heaps for your input will look up the items through the links you have provided. There are a lot of areas that can be covered off so if they don't all make it in the first edition please note they will be covered off in future editions. Would really love to have some articles and photo's coming through now as need to start pulling layout together.

Cheers
Chicknleather

chicksnleather
13th October 2007, 11:25
Hi Mrs Kendog

Will definitely take you up on the offer in the very near future - at present too many deadlines to meet but will definitely be on board.

Cheers
Chicksnleather

chicksnleather
13th October 2007, 11:27
Awesome idea - will be in touch to set up a date and time.

Cheers
Chicksnleather

chicksnleather
13th October 2007, 11:33
Great idea for panel - would be great to pull this together and do a bit of brainstorming - any volunteers?

Cheers
Chicksnleather:mobile:

Well, you have to cater for all ages...:innocent:

But you're right, we don't this one to flounder, so...

How about (when things are organised and settled a bit), an idea such as a star panel of famous Kiwi chick riders as well? I'm sure that a few well known adventurous women out there are also bikers?

It would make for some cool interviews, and would give a broader perspective of the "biker" image too...

chicksnleather
13th October 2007, 11:36
A great idea and Id be happy to help in anyway. I think women who dont have bikes would read it too as I know many women ask me about my bike and what its like riding. How they always thought of it but never did. There are definately more and more women riders however we are not as good as the Americans. When I was riding there there were alot of women, perhaps with a mag like this we can get our numbers up! I would love you to get ahold of ebay distributors for female bike gear. I have a flamboyant baby blue/pink leathers but there are lots of feminine "not so out there" but womanly jackets/pants etc. (eg NOT BLACK) New Zealand is limited in choices and I get asked all the time where I got mine. Anyways let me know if I can help in anyway :)

Great - will take you up on your offer so send in those articles.

Cheers
Chicksnleather

Beemer
13th October 2007, 11:40
Good luck and I agree with Hitcher - several of us do proofreading and editing for a living so don't miss this important step!

I don't want to put a damper on your idea, but have you got advertising/funding lined up? Several years ago I was approached by an idiot who shall remain nameless (but he was on Dragon's Den trying to pitch the same idea last year!) who wanted to set up a women's motoring magazine called Wheel Woman (he has an accent and the guys on tv thought he said "Queer Woman"). I worked on the basis of payment on publication, as is normal with journalism, and proceeded to write half a dozen articles and take the accompanying photographs. Some involved travelling and other expenses, which I had to pay for myself. Six months down the track he had exhausted every avenue to get advertising and had to drop the idea - so I never got paid.

The problem is it is VERY expensive to start up a magazine and when the market is limited, the chances of success are also limited. Although there are lots of female motorcyclists who use this forum, the actual number of female motorcyclists is small, and of those, not all would buy the magazine. Advertisers are wary of catering to niche markets unless those markets can be turned into dollars. If you have looked at advertising, what areas have you focused on? There are not many motorcycling companies in NZ that make female gear and the big players like the cosmetics and food/beverage advertisers would not come on board until you had established yourself.

Quality doesn't come cheap and if the magazine is not attractively presented, people won't pay more than a few dollars for it - not after the first issue anyway. And to have a quality product, with good reproduction of photographs, etc and glossy paper, costs HEAPS. I do regular newsletters for different organisations and they are often only four pages but they cost THOUSANDS to produce without advertising. Even with advertising, many advertisers pay the month following publication so you need a fair bit of cash behind you to start off and to fund the first few months.

I don't know how well the new dirt bike magazine is doing in NZ and I haven't actually seen an issue to judge it by, but I understand that took some time and financial commitment to get up and running. I have no idea of the rates they pay but most journalists expect around 50c per word minimum and photography rates vary from $50 per photo upwards. Then - depending on your skills and those of your friends and family - you have to pay designers, graphic artists, editors, printers, etc.

The other problem is, if you only focus on females, you will soon run out of good stories to feature. NZ is a small market and people soon switch off if they perceive the quality of the content is dropping.

sunhuntin
13th October 2007, 14:30
Would love for you to provide me with an article on this and photo's - might not make the first edition but will definitely put into second.

Cheers
Chicksnleather:2thumbsup

no worries... as said, ill be taking a diary along, and will write the article based on that.

surfchick
13th October 2007, 18:44
Good luck and I agree with Hitcher ......The other problem is, if you only focus on females, you will soon run out of good stories to feature. NZ is a small market and people soon switch off if they perceive the quality of the content is dropping.

yeah some good thoughts there. at the moment there's only one main women's surfing magazine globally ... even combining the global articles on womens surfing the articles are a wee bit budget! BUT that said -i think there could may-be be a place for a kind of guerilla girls motorcycle publication - maybe not too glossy-but some feature splashes of high gloss, etc say with a few editions per year - 4? I'd like to see it get off the ground - even an annual publication? go hard crew...:Punk:

damn, i missed an oppertunity to snap keystone trying for the 10th time to tie the oil bung to the bike frame before the trackday. maybe you could have a sub article on how to use those spinny wire tensioner/twisers without snapping the cable :bleh::devil2::devil2: uh oh.. time for me to run off now... :chase:

chicksnleather
15th October 2007, 17:48
good luck kicking off the mag au-

things i'd have liked starting out riding would be definitions of types of bikes & that there are dif. kinds of bikes for different styles of riding approaches. i totally bought the wrong kind of bike-getting a cruiser and later coming to the horrible realisation i wanted way more speed and cornering... doh:baby:

now i'd like to see track-days covered, races covered, dirt stuff covered. nu bikes and info on good used older bikes that people would be likely to be able to source in NZ used market. also esp. adventure riding info-good local & other backcountry trails and routes etc lots of pix too. don't wanna read all day ;)

Also I've been trying to get motorcycle antics into the art-world that I'm part of and so far I'm getting somewhere with the project as well as a some funding to make bigger video-art projects connected with motorcycling
the TV3 nightline article is here

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2uDdCAPMjqs

the art-motorcycle exhibition description is here:
http://www.filmarchive.org.nz/newsarticles/NewsList/2007/08/24-08-07-Alex-Monteith.htm

in future hopefully jill and i will cook up a little something and after that's done, coook up an even bigger something ;)

Hi Surfchick

Excellent stuff! How would you like to pull together a piece for me on how your exhibition went and some photo's - would be really great to promote the work that you are doing.

Cheers
Chicksnleather:niceone:

surfchick
15th October 2007, 18:19
sweet as au-
I got a good few pix and vid stills of the kiwibiker crew supporting this show - the wellington kb crew were super supportive turned out for the opening dropped the odd patch and made a fabulously LOUD impression. we got pretty good stills and vid. coverage of both the art-show and the 20-30 bikes that attended. what are your deadlines like? pm me and i can give you my real world email address

keystone and I are hoping to get some more work made ... between her race meets... and kids... and doctorate...

Hanne
16th October 2007, 22:21
Sounds awesome!
I would also be keen to contribute some stories, will pM you

chicksnleather
12th November 2007, 19:10
Hi Guys

Sorry I haven't posted anything for a while have just been snowed under, thank you to all of you that have submitted the articles for the magazine, they are looking great! Is there anyone that would like to submit an article on adventure riding, motorcross, stunt riding and FMX.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers
Chicksnleather:woohoo:

mbazza
12th November 2007, 19:31
Go for it 'Chicks in Leather'. I'll buy a copy or two. As my wife suggested this evening that instead of buying a second car she learns to ride my scooter and we upgrade it. So there could well be two readers in this family! Best of luck for the mag I look forward to buying it for us. Cheers.

flame
13th November 2007, 09:48
Hi Guys

Sorry I haven't posted anything for a while have just been snowed under, thank you to all of you that have submitted the articles for the magazine, they are looking great! Is there anyone that would like to submit an article on adventure riding, motorcross, stunt riding and FMX.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers
Chicksnleather:woohoo:

We're waiting for a fine 'non' windy night to go back down to the carpark where we practice stunty stuff. (I need to get some practice in before the photo session eh :msn-wink:). I'll write you up a report on the next session if you like as I want to attempt some new things.....and I'll even try to convince one or two other chicks to come along and have a go so i can include them in the report.

Any Welly girls want to have a go???? pm me if your keen. Drew is a good teacher:yes:

flame
13th November 2007, 15:23
Good luck and I agree with Hitcher - several of us do proofreading and editing for a living so don't miss this important step!

I don't want to put a damper on your idea,

The other problem is, if you only focus on females, you will soon run out of good stories to feature. NZ is a small market and people soon switch off if they perceive the quality of the content is dropping.

There's a wealth of women with great personalities riding bikes in our country. I know of enough such women that could keep this magazine content entertaining for years to come. Not only that, but the women motorcycling population is growing by the day. an example is look at the race scene.......5 years ago there was hardly a women on the track, now we have women competing, with skill in nearly every class.

What better way to entertain us all on a rainy day than to read about NZ's own, with similar interests and motovations as ourselves.

Good on you Cheryl, your mag is going to be a hit :niceone:.

trilac
15th November 2007, 19:01
I would buy a female biker's magazine. Do you have an email that submissions could be posted to?

Curious_AJ
16th November 2007, 12:57
sounds good... looking forward to seeing it on the shelves

chicksnleather
19th November 2007, 09:39
Hi Trilac

Will let you all know as it gets closer to the launch date any information on subscribing and where to purchase the magazine - still trying to work out the finer points at this stage - keep your eyes open though.

Cheers
Chicksnleather