PDA

View Full Version : NZPCRA Web Site

k1w160
9th October 2007, 15:27
The NZPCRA now have their own web site:

www.nzpostclassics.org.nz

This is primarily an information site and has been built to provide information on the classes, rules, race photo's, up coming events, new letters, race results etc.

It is an ongoing development, but feel free to check it out.

steveb64
16th October 2007, 20:41
Brilliant! I've been trying to find the regs / rules for months now. All they need to do now, is put all the pdf's into ONE file (or at least the option), so people can download the entire ruleset, instead of one

page

at

a

time....:beer:

Sigh - just waiting for a property to sell now - then I'll have the cash to build the projects... :calm:

twinshock750
26th October 2007, 15:52
Brilliant! I've been trying to find the regs / rules for months now. All they need to do now, is put all the pdf's into ONE file (or at least the option), so people can download the entire ruleset, instead of one

page

at

a

time....:beer:

Sigh - just waiting for a property to sell now - then I'll have the cash to build the projects... :calm:

The rules have been in the MNZ rule book for years - the pages on the website were a set of work done by one member to put them into plain english with examples and reasons.

steveb64
26th October 2007, 19:17
The rules have been in the MNZ rule book for years - the pages on the website were a set of work done by one member to put them into plain english with examples and reasons.

:oi-grr: Yeah - but I haven't had a MNZ rule book at all... the last one I had was an ACU one! Not been racing for yonks - no spare cash :( - so haven't had a competition licence...

And I wasn't complaining! Honest! :rolleyes: Just commenting that having the option of downloading either 1 (or 2) large file (s), or page by page, would be nice. I've been on slow dial-up for many years in the past, so can appreciate being able to download things bit by bit - just that on broadband, one chunk would be nice too!

And please thank the relevant member - they did a real nice job! Very clear and easy to understand! :niceone:

Now all I have to do is sell some land, build a workshed, and get the bits I need to finish off the GSX... :mobile:

twinshock750
29th October 2007, 17:42
Steveb64

No sweat - wasn't taking issue, rather just pointing out where those pages came from and that the bare rules are elsewhere also. It's actually a professionally printed book you can buy for 10 bucks!

The MNZ.co.nz website has the full rule book for down laods also. There are no official pre 89 rules yet, but these are coiming and will will mimic the basic intent of the pre 82 rules etc - ie period bits only for major components with some key differences. 3.5 and 5.5 inch rims, 16's, carbon fibrre etc all allowable.

The major components being carbs, forks, brakes (discs and calipers), frame swing arm, engine cases etc must be from the period (not just well they had 4 pots then so the latest 4 post off a GSXR1000 will be okay, they must be as used in 1989). So no late model USD forks, floaters and 4 pots are okay if they are from the period. The only bikes that are likley to get by with USD forks are Ducati 888 corsa (ie the works bikes!) with period ohlins and ZXR400's. GSXR1100 USD etc won't work - as the first GSR1100 with USD forks was 1990.

So as mentioned above the basic intent is to need period components so that you are racing an old bike with the performance limits that brings, not a an old bike tarted up with modern forks and brakes etc. Though what goes on inside is a different story (ie cartridge fork internals etc) brake pads, shocks, tyres, rims, brake lines, engine internals.

steveb64
29th October 2007, 18:49
Plan - at the moment (and when got dosh in hand, shed built, Duc and wifes Bandit fixed...) is to get the GSX11 up to speed and have a punt around. Then next project will be the McIntosh... I've got a GSXR1100K ('89?) rolling chassis, that I'm considering using for bits - maybe swap Mc front end onto GSX, then use GSXR front end on Mc... if it's all gonna fit... But Mc needs some fairly serious frame repair work first - and my understanding (not that I've spoken with him yet) is that Ken Mc is rather busy these days... Sigh. Busy means expensive.:rolleyes:

Thus why I was happy to see the link to the rules - 'cos I'd been looking for pre '89...:niceone:

Cheers.

twinshock750
30th October 2007, 16:21
If it's the Mc in your Avatar I'm assuming is a BR2?

if the forks are Pre 82, they'll be fine to use in your GSX. Your run of the mill GSXR1100K forks being RWU will be legal in the front of a BR2 in Pre 89, as they were 89 model forks in a 85 or so model bike in the pre 89 class. Wtach for brakes though...though from ememory the BR2's still had cast iron Brembo style rotors?

Ken's been busy for the last 20 years building Nortons...but he is doing a bit of BR1/BR2 stuff.

He also built 8 Yamaha chassis in the late 70's - did you know that!

And he has done repair work on them all - it's a case of ringing talking etc.

if in doubt about pre 72/82/89 rules. Post a note here. I should be able to answer it. The basics as I mentioned above being that the key parts must be from the period the bike is to race in and the onus of proof is on the rider.

Hurry up and get the GSX sorted at least! The boys are a bit thin in the open class lately!

Cheers

steveb64
30th October 2007, 21:08
If it's the Mc in your Avatar I'm assuming is a BR2?

if the forks are Pre 82, they'll be fine to use in your GSX. Your run of the mill GSXR1100K forks being RWU will be legal in the front of a BR2 in Pre 89, as they were 89 model forks in a 85 or so model bike in the pre 89 class. Wtach for brakes though...though from ememory the BR2's still had cast iron Brembo style rotors?

Ken's been busy for the last 20 years building Nortons...but he is doing a bit of BR1/BR2 stuff.

He also built 8 Yamaha chassis in the late 70's - did you know that!

And he has done repair work on them all - it's a case of ringing talking etc.

if in doubt about pre 72/82/89 rules. Post a note here. I should be able to answer it. The basics as I mentioned above being that the key parts must be from the period the bike is to race in and the onus of proof is on the rider.

Hurry up and get the GSX sorted at least! The boys are a bit thin in the open class lately!

Cheers

Yep. It's the ex Norris Farrow one... The forks on it (currently) are Katana ones with the hydraulic anti-dive. Any idea on that? Just answered my own question - released in '81 - "Late 1980 saw the official production release of the GSX1100S Katana." The brakes are solid Brembo (drilled) cast iron discs - so the whole front end (triple clamps down) should be OK on the GSX?

Oddly enough - the GSX frame was straightened out by Ken, after I'd binned it big time into a drain at Paihia (intersection at Tii beach). Won't say what I'd been doing - but I learned my lesson, and didn't do it again!:whistle:

I'll assume that with the GSXR being pre '89, the whole front end of it will be OK for the McIntosh? - depending on it actually fitting...

Yeah - I spoke with Ross Peden (BR1) at Puke (Nats) meeting back at the end of last summer, and he said Ken was still doing a bit on the BR's - just to be prepared to pay... Ah well, you get what you pay for, and Ken does a good job. ...and I'd heard about the Yammies somewhere along the way.

One last question while I'm at it - I know the GSXR's rear wheel is narrow (4.5") enough for pre '82, but what about the rear caliper? (Need that if I'm to swap to 17" rims on GSX - currently it's on 18" spokes front and rear...).

Sadly cash is the main problem - asset rich, but cash strapped.<_<

But I've been doing plenty of window shopping on the web, so I know where most of the bits I'm going to need are... sigh. :calm:
I AM looking forward to getting back out again!:woohoo:

twinshock750
31st October 2007, 16:25
Steve

GSX1100S Kat forks in a pre 82 should be sweet.

1989 GSXR1100K right way up forks in the BR2 will be sweet for for Pre 89.

Re the rear brakes http://www.motorcyclingnz.co.nz/download/Chapter_25_Post_Classic_Road_Racing.pdf refer rule 25.4.6 disc will be okay but rear caliper must be period. Most guys are using a little P5 brembo or just ratting around wreckers to get something period and little.

if you are on 18 spokes, why not just lace some 17 spokes in? Apart from the fact you have 17 inch GSXR wheels sitting there....doh!

k1w160
2nd November 2007, 21:52
Gidday,

The PDF's are on seperate pages as the files were too big for the server to handle in one go- no easy way out of that one.

"carbon fibre etc all allowable" - this is still an area under discussion. If we are to maintain continuity in the rules then carbon fibre would only be allowable if used as an original factory part on the bike (same as up side down forks - original equipment only).

Cheers