PDA

View Full Version : Puppy anyone?

Blondini
9th October 2007, 15:46
I have a lone miniature fox terrier pup up for sale.They usually sell for $500 but You can have this little girl for $300..She is only 11 days old so will not be ready for a home until she is 6 weeks old.Both parents available to view.PM for more details:hug:I am in west auck .The mum only had one and I dont want to send her off all alone to the pet shop

Sanx
9th October 2007, 15:59
Looks like a blind furry sausage.

But very cute.

MyGSXF
9th October 2007, 16:02
Aawwww.. she's sooooooo ADORABLE!!! :love:

(& that's coming from a NON-dog person... :laugh:)

Hope you can find a good home for her!!! :niceone:

Jen :rockon:

Finn
9th October 2007, 16:02
Looks like she's trying to rip your hand off. Aggressive bitch is she?

Blondini
9th October 2007, 16:15
Looks like she's trying to rip your hand off. Aggressive bitch is she?:clap::laugh:

Mom
9th October 2007, 16:19
Maha man and I have an agreement to NOT get another dog! I really want that puppy, but we have a pact, I have to stop him and he has to stop me...so no puppy for us. I have had a couple of foxies now, fantastic little dogs, smart and easy to train, extremely hyperactive as puppies, dont find their voices till about 5 months old, and dont yap all day if trained properly. Good luck finding a home for that little cutie! Might have to come down and have a little play when she is big enough to have a bit of fun with!

Paul in NZ
9th October 2007, 16:19
Get thee behind me satan... Very CUTE!

Paul N

(I've pooped bigger logs than that)

R6_kid
9th October 2007, 16:22
We had to put down our 13yr old Miniature Schnauzer yesterday so it's a bit early for another we terror yet, but that thing is very very cute!

Fox terriors leave their hair everywhere dont they? My olds are only into dogs that need grooming, that way you dont end up with dog hair all through the house.

Mom
9th October 2007, 16:26
We had to put down our 13yr old Miniature Schnauzer yesterday so it's a bit early for another we terror yet, but that thing is very very cute!

Fox terriors leave their hair everywhere dont they? My olds are only into dogs that need grooming, that way you dont end up with dog hair all through the house.

I lived on a lifestyle block with my dogs, foxies are so easy, you bring them in, stick them in the laundry tub, wash them and then leave them, no worries. They love attention but are easy dogs to care for, eat anything and love killing possums too!

Blondini
9th October 2007, 16:28

Fox terriors leave their hair everywhere dont they? My olds are only into dogs that need grooming, that way you dont end up with dog hair all through the house.All dogs leave hair .thats what a vacuum is for..Sorry to hear about your dog.

doc
9th October 2007, 16:33
Don't get one this one wakes me lots about 1 to 3am cos he has tree'd a possum. So you have to crawl out of bed get the .22 try to find the mag, head out to where you think he is, but he thinks, well the lights are on don't have to bark anymore. Not much fun tryin to find the dog when he won't bark until you are back in bed. Get my drift ? Hitcher , leave my spelling out of this. Dust in the keyboard OK !

Mom
9th October 2007, 16:36
Don't get one this one wakes me lots about 1 to 3am cos he has tree'd a possum. So you have to crawl out of bed get the .22 try to find the mag, head out to where you think he is, but he thinks, well the lights are on don't have to bark anymore. Not much fun tryin to find the dog when he won't bark until you are back in bed. Get my drift ? Hitcher , leave my spelling out of this. Dust in the keyboard OK !

Mate mine would try to climb trees to get to them, was an expert at digging them out wherever they tried to hide. Barking was something that I really wanted to stop as a bored behaviour, she barked like mad at anyone unknown coming to the property and said nothing if she knew the sound of the car etc. Oh but yes they can be little shits too!

doc
9th October 2007, 16:40
was an expert at digging them out . Oh but yes they can be little shits too!
Thats another problem filling holes in along the hedge when I'm awake.

scracha
9th October 2007, 16:50
will not be ready for a home until she is 6 weeks old.Both

That's FAR too young. Best wait till AT LEAST 8 to 10 weeks.

deanohit
9th October 2007, 16:51
Would love another, but can't have one at the mo'. My old one was a shocker for treeing possums at night, catching them and bringing them in the house in bits, so we always tied him to the rose bush (possums come from miles away to eat rose buds) and he only touched the bush once, then steered clear of it. Brilliant dogs when trained right. Thinking a Blue Heeler for my next dog though.

Blondini
9th October 2007, 17:17
That's FAR too young. Best wait till AT LEAST 8 to 10 weeks.:first: Now you sound like my children..:laugh:

Mom
9th October 2007, 17:21
Thinking a Blue Heeler for my next dog though.

Heelers are awesome dogs, but I have discovered that unless brought up with bikes, actually hate them! I worked for a guy that had one, once I got to know "Pip" she never even got off her bed when I came to his house for work. The first day I rode my bike there, she very nearly had me off the damn thing! Biting the hell out of my legs, was not till I spoke to her that she stopped!

scracha
10th October 2007, 13:21
:first: Now you sound like my children..:laugh:

Nah I'm serious. In some countries it's illegal to sell dogs under 8 weeks old. I know they'll be driving you insane but they really benefit from that extra few weeks with "mummy". Plus you can charge a bit extra as they should be house trained by about week 6.

Curious_AJ
10th October 2007, 13:28
Nah I'm serious. In some countries it's illegal to sell dogs under 8 weeks old. I know they'll be driving you insane but they really benefit from that extra few weeks with "mummy". Plus you can charge a bit extra as they should be house trained by about week 6.

thing is about this.. I'd know from spending lots of time in vets lately etc.. you can sell them at 6 weeks, its perfectly fine, so long as you make sure that you've either vaccinated them, or you make sure the person that gets it does it right away!!

vax times are 6,9 then 12 weeks and then yearly boosters... as for kennel cough, it can be given when needed, though it's reccommended that if you have lots of dogs, get it topped up regularely (nasal or injectable).

in saying that... OMG I WANT THAT PUPPY!!!!! but I'm poor :'( and currently in a non-suitable living space... :( so sad...

007XX
10th October 2007, 13:34
Keep me safe from temptation...and from my son if he sees this picture! I'd never hear the end of it...:nono: :laugh:

Gosh she's cute...:love: Gaaahhhh...ok, going onto another thread now...:spudwave:

NotaGoth
10th October 2007, 13:40
thing is about this.. I'd know from spending lots of time in vets lately etc.. you can sell them at 6 weeks, its perfectly fine, so long as you make sure that you've either vaccinated them, or you make sure the person that gets it does it right away!!

vax times are 6,9 then 12 weeks and then yearly boosters... as for kennel cough, it can be given when needed, though it's reccommended that if you have lots of dogs, get it topped up regularely (nasal or injectable).

in saying that... OMG I WANT THAT PUPPY!!!!! but I'm poor :'( and currently in a non-suitable living space... :( so sad...

Its not because of vaccinations. Its because of the behaviour they show when taken away from "mum" to early. There are things they don't learn as easily if at all when they have been taken to early. And they "can" end up having behaviour issues.

Who wants a puppy or kitten that hasn't learned how to lick its own arse clean???? amoung other things.

My old lady worked for a pound in Aussie years and years back. They used to put down anything that was under a certain age, as raising them wasn't recommended because of this.

Kittens are the same. Alot of kittens that have been taken off their mums to early end up "playing" with their claws out. The breeder I got my cat through won't let ANY kittens go under the age of 11 weeks as its not recommended.

Curious_AJ
10th October 2007, 13:46
true, true... well UNITEC must have taught me wrong then... they and the UVH and the VSG and a couple of local vets I've worked at, say that they've learnt all that stuff by the time they're 6 weeks.

Curious_AJ
10th October 2007, 13:46
but still.. "mum" wouldnt teach them how to lick their bum lol... only the actual mother of the pup would do that... I don't see a human teaching things like that... rofl...

deanohit
10th October 2007, 14:14
Heelers are awesome dogs, but I have discovered that unless brought up with bikes, actually hate them! I worked for a guy that had one, once I got to know "Pip" she never even got off her bed when I came to his house for work. The first day I rode my bike there, she very nearly had me off the damn thing! Biting the hell out of my legs, was not till I spoke to her that she stopped!

Cool thanks Mom, definitely something to remember. :clap:

vifferman
10th October 2007, 14:20
We used to have a fox terrier / King Charles spaniel crossbreed. He was a lovely dog - very good with kids, and very sociable.

When we were in Oz recently, we got talking with the owner of Peacock Hill Wines in the Hunter Valley. He was telling us about a Pomerian/terrier crossbreed he had that would run outside if it heard the birds making a noise, and see what they were alarmed about. It used to have a thing for snakes, and killed heaps of them, including big brown snakes. It would catch them, bite their heads off and bring them home.

Blondini
10th October 2007, 17:19
Nah I'm serious. In some countries it's illegal to sell dogs under 8 weeks old. I know they'll be driving you insane but they really benefit from that extra few weeks with "mummy". Plus you can charge a bit extra as they should be house trained by about week 6.Thanks..by 5 weeks the mum has had enough and they are left to fend for themselves..Sure you can ask for more but you add vaccination and worming etc and you would have to ask for a load more and is just not worth it when you breed them.I bought 2 of my breeding bitches at 6 weeks old as any pup I have ever bought.:hug:and believe me I have had several pups:yes::sunny:

scracha
10th October 2007, 19:02
Curious AJ - Most vets know bugger all about dog training and behavior. Makes me cringe when I see some of the "puppy training" classes they run. Train the bloody owners first.

If the sums don't add up when breeding pups then the answer is simple, don't let them breed. I won't make friends for this but IMHO there's no real excuse for selling pups that young. Aside from the dam, they learn from the rest of the litter. Obviously Kiwi logic and "she'll be right" come into play over here.

Blondini
10th October 2007, 19:17
Curious AJ - Most vets know bugger all about dog training and behavior. Makes me cringe when I see some of the "puppy training" classes they run. Train the bloody owners first.

If the sums don't add up when breeding pups then the answer is simple, don't let them breed. I won't make friends for this but IMHO there's no real excuse for selling pups that young. Aside from the dam, they learn from the rest of the litter. Obviously Kiwi logic and "she'll be right" come into play over here.Touchy:baby:We dont all do it for the money:2thumbsup

Curious_AJ
10th October 2007, 23:03

If the sums don't add up when breeding pups then the answer is simple, don't let them breed. I won't make friends for this but IMHO there's no real excuse for selling pups that young. Aside from the dam, they learn from the rest of the litter. Obviously Kiwi logic and "she'll be right" come into play over here.

FYI its the nurses that run the classes, not the vets.. and the nurses are not actually trained to do it properly... i would know... don't get so touchy about it... but one class i know of is really good,she trained her own dogs, and she runs lots of puppy classes, if not almost half of the ones in the north shore... so no generalising here please.

but I have to say... the above is kind of... nonsense... no offence...

Curious_AJ
10th October 2007, 23:06
oh, and adding to my above comment... vets actually know a hell of a lot. don't put them down just because they are more interested in the surgery. they know LOADS about behaviour and trainign, they have to really, or how are they supposed to treat an animal and know about their demeanor and signs of ill health etc... SOME may not know much, but the statement that MOST dont, is bull.. im sorry.

Reckless
11th October 2007, 02:19

Its called "false Malt"
Little lap dogs (or any dogs) that are inside all the time get false malt. They can't sense the seasons so they malt continually leaving hair everywhere all the time. They need to spend more time outside especialy at night so they can tell summer and winter. We have a long haired German sheperd and he dumps for two or three weeks 2 times a year. And he still sleeps inside quite a bit.

Just thought this might help!

scracha
11th October 2007, 07:27
[QUOTE=Curious_AJ;1242148 SOME may not know much, but the statement that MOST dont, is bull.. im sorry.[/QUOTE]
We'll agree to disagree then. From the 'dog trainers' perspective [I've dealt with lots for many years in uk] the majority of vets & nurses give completely wrong information. A hell of a lot of the vet nurses won't get "hands on" with large dogs nor have ever stepped in an obedience/agility/tracking ring. They've read a few books and/or sat the theory. They often run a mickey mouse 'good citizen' 6 week wonder course, give people a little certificate, take their money and tell them their dog is trained.

Dog is sick, see a vet. Want it to stop jumping on people, chewing furniture, being aggressive etc, see a dog trainer.

Back to NZ - ever consider why many developed world countries make it illegal to sell a pup below week 8? Must be a valid reson hmm? And don't even get me started on the barbaric collars with spikes on the inside (as sold by many vets) or electric shock 'perimiter' collars that are allowed here.

Glad some breeders here are responsible .

cheese
11th October 2007, 10:10
Hmm I'm sort of interested. I love foxies and my parents foxie cross is on her last legs (she is 17). They also have a Jack Russell and that dog is nuts!!

They are amazing dogs. So intelligent and great company.

Krayy
11th October 2007, 10:34
When you say they are hyper as puppies, does that mean they have a tendancy to run away, and what kind of security do you need in the yard to stop them?

Also, how do they go with kiddies and existing cats?

Curious_AJ
11th October 2007, 10:52
We'll agree to disagree then. From the 'dog trainers' perspective [I've dealt with lots for many years in uk] the majority of vets & nurses give completely wrong information. A hell of a lot of the vet nurses won't get "hands on" with large dogs nor have ever stepped in an obedience/agility/tracking ring. They've read a few books and/or sat the theory. They often run a mickey mouse 'good citizen' 6 week wonder course, give people a little certificate, take their money and tell them their dog is trained.

Dog is sick, see a vet. Want it to stop jumping on people, chewing furniture, being aggressive etc, see a dog trainer.

Back to NZ - ever consider why many developed world countries make it illegal to sell a pup below week 8? Must be a valid reson hmm? And don't even get me started on the barbaric collars with spikes on the inside (as sold by many vets) or electric shock 'perimiter' collars that are allowed here.

Glad some breeders here are responsible .

firstly, about the training, i want to say DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UH!!!! they have not been through the training to be dog behaviouralists. and yu referring to the UK is irrelevant here.

but anyways, I'm in countless lobbying groups against shock collars, as are THOUSANDS of other nurses and vets, i have never seen them sold in vets here, nor have i seen the "collars with spikes on the inside" here.

and furthermore, what the hell does any of that collar stuff have to do with the topic!!!!!!

it's perfectly fine to give a pup away at 6 weeks, 2 weeks does virtually no difference, I know people and have spent a lot of time with them, who's dogs have had litters, they've tried 8 weeks AND 6 weeks, and they gave the pups to people i know as well so I was able to check, they turned out pretty much the same (aside from the normal personality differences between dogs) when they gave them away at both ages, the only thing that changed, was that they had to do the vax before they gave them away, instead of getting the new owner to do it.

Ocean1
11th October 2007, 10:52
When you say they are hyper as puppies, does that mean they have a tendancy to run away, and what kind of security do you need in the yard to stop them?

I've had terriers, they come from rabbit and other small mammal hunting stock so they can be hard to keep in and love digging under fences. But they're intelligent and usually great with kids.

Curious_AJ
11th October 2007, 10:54

they love kids usually, and are okay with cats if brought up with them. as for security, i'd say a decent sized fence, they can jump surprisingly high.

Lteejay
11th October 2007, 12:34
So no-ones interested in the puppy then................

vifferman
11th October 2007, 12:52
So no-one's interested in the puppy then................
Depends...
Would it feed a family of five? :confused:

Sanx
11th October 2007, 13:33

Introduce them to the cats when the puppy's young, and the cats should realise pretty fast that they can beat the living crap out of the dog without to much trouble. After that, the dog should learn its reactions won't be fast enough to save it from receiving a claw-laden smack across the nose if it misbehaves.

Watching my cousin's four year-old big muscly cat knock their six-month old lab puppy off its feet when the puppy did something the cat didn't like was very amusing.

Tank
11th October 2007, 14:25
Depends...
Would it feed a family of five? :confused:

Quote of the day:Punk: - Bling sent and well deserved.

vifferman
11th October 2007, 14:30
Quote of the day:Punk: - Bling sent and well deserved.
Oh crap...:shit:
That puts my bling count over 5000...
I wonder what evil will befall me now....

Quick everyone - make with the red anti-bling, before my head explodes or summat...:confused:

pritch
11th October 2007, 14:50
Its called "false Malt"

I'm quite partial to the occasional single malt myself. :whistle:

Ocean1
11th October 2007, 14:59
I'm quite partial to the occasional single malt myself. :whistle:

That because you live inside or because you're follicly challenged?

pritch
11th October 2007, 15:47
That because you live inside or because you're follicly challenged?

It's true I live inside (especially since I got my LCD TV), and also that I'm follicly challenged. Those factors are not, however, related as cause and effect to any predelection for single malts. :apint:

Mom
11th October 2007, 16:31

Hyper as in excitable, my first foxy used to grab the corners of the nappies as I was pegging them out (yes in the olden days you washed nappies) and not let go, she seemed to get a kick out of spinning around on the clothesline!......LOL.

They are just busy little dogs and need to burn up energy. We lived rurally and never had an issue with them running away. We only had the trusty wire fences, and never closed our gate. They were not supposed to be inside, but used to sneak in and curl up on beds or couches, always looked shamefaced when caught! They are very intelligent, training is so easy, just a couple of lessons and then some occassional reinforcement was all that they required. We even had ours trained to only use a particular part of the property to crap. As far as kiddies go, my kids were raised from infancy with foxies, never had any concerns, and the cat that we introduced just got on with it, am sure she thought she was a dog, they used to play chase.

nudemetalz
11th October 2007, 17:15
This is what a Minature Fox Terrier "Jake" looks like at 12 years old.
A neat dog, full of attitude but very affectionate.

He's just '"altered" his bed for a snooze...

Jorja
11th October 2007, 17:39
Me being just up the road too. How the hell am I supposed to stay away now. lol
Had to leave my dog behind when i moved and would love another but someone would kill me lol. 4 boys would be keen though.

Besides anyone want a kitten? She is due to have them any day now. Will be ready just on christmas.
Pics are a bit old. She was young then. Alot older now but still looks the same.

scracha
11th October 2007, 17:57
firstly, about the training, i want to say DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UH!!!! they have not been through the training to be dog behaviouralists. and yu

y. they know LOADS about behaviour and trainign,

???

referring to the UK is irrelevant here.

Why, are dogs "speeshal" over here that the training techniques need be different?

THOUSANDS of other nurses and vets, i have never seen them sold in vets here, nor have i seen the "collars with spikes on the inside" here.

I could name 2 vets selling the collars with the spikes on the inside just in this local area.

and furthermore, what the hell does any of that collar stuff have to do with the topic!!!!!!

You were trying to say that vets are the 'be all and end all' and I'm trying to point out that they're not.

it's perfectly fine to give a pup away at 6 weeks, 2 weeks does virtually no
difference, I know people and have spent a lot of time with them, who's dogs have had litters, they've tried 8 weeks AND 6 weeks, and they gave the pups to people i know as well so I was able to check, they turned out pretty much
That's hardly scientific and you've still not answered my question as to why selling pups at 6 weeks is fine when so many other countries make it ILLEGAL before 8 weeks? Of those where it's not illegal it's almost always advised to buy/sell pups between 2 and 3 months old. Did they pick 8 weeks on a whim? So tell me Curious_AJ, why the hell should your opinion count more than mine or the majority of the western world?

Blondini
11th October 2007, 19:15

Also, how do they go with kiddies and existing cats?They are terriers so they need firm handling and training.The pup will be raised in a house full of children ,cats and dogs .It will be well socialised when it is ready for a home.They are extremely loyal and very smart and alert.I have 3 foxys and they are extremely protective of my children and also right on their heels wherever they go.I have a full fenced section so they are secure.:love:

Blondini
11th October 2007, 19:23
And just for scracha a special price just for you $1500 for a 12 week old pup fully vaccinated ,de flead,wormed,Toilet trained and trained to sit ,down and stay....Might even teach it to sing for you at that price...Anyone else original offer $300 at 6 weeks:shutup:She is 2 weeks today and had her first walk about:woohoo:She is the cleanest best fed pup in town...Oh and all my pups are vet checked and with first vaccination..They are always commented on how healthy and good natured. they are.They would have to be spending 6 weeks in my household:shifty:

Curious_AJ
12th October 2007, 18:21
i didnt say my oppinion was greater than anyones thanks.. and i didnt say vets were tbe " be all and end all" you were just trying to make vets seem stupid.. but they do know lots about behaviour and training, i said the NURSES do the bloody classes didnt i... well my point made, you didnt really listen. I'm not going to bother to post in here anymore.

Blondini
13th October 2007, 18:57
pup sold<_<