PDA

View Full Version : boots boots bloody boots

FROSTY
15th October 2004, 19:32
My trusty ol sidi boots have coughed their last gasp as far as race boots are concerned. I've been out scouring the bike shops trying to figure out what the hey to buy and Im totally bambooozled.
boots seem to vary from 199 to 799 and other than toe scrapers i can't see a lot of difference .
any feedback about brand /type apreciated

Mr Skid
15th October 2004, 21:16
I see motormail is having a sale 16-24oct and they've got Sidi vertebra 2 boots for $399 down from $499.

Don't know how good they are but they look the part.

k14
15th October 2004, 21:30
I see motormail is having a sale 16-24oct and they've got Sidi vertebra 2 boots for $399 down from $499.

Damn, thats a flippin good price.

Ive got some alpinestar smx (or something like that) and they seem pretty good.

Think the thing that is different is the kind of ankle protection. If they have the special supports etc. Think I paid around $400 for mine and am pretty happy with them. Seems as though quite alot of racers have them aswell.

yessum
15th October 2004, 21:51
I see motormail is having a sale 16-24oct
best be queuing outside at about 7am from what I saw last time :>

Hoon
15th October 2004, 23:29
Toe sliders are good because they save your boots from wearing out. Also make sure they have plastic protection in all the right places which will prolong their life. My Sidi vertebraes have been through 5 crashes and only the last crash (where I lowsided at full lean and laid the bike down on my foot) managed to miss the plastic and scuff the leather.

The more expensive ones have the plastic braces up the back - this is to stop your foot bending wierd angles in a crash and saves you from breaking your ankles. Some of them are also waterproof to keep your feet dry in the wet - doesn't help anyway as the water just runs down your leg into the boots.

sAsLEX
16th October 2004, 05:35
dont think toe sliders have saved KK boots from wearing out, now it his toes and sock that will slide after wearing half his boot away on taupo

bluninja
16th October 2004, 05:55
I've had both the sidi vertebrae and the mk 2 version. The mk 2 were wider and had a calf adjustment. Good kit.

BTW Hoon if you put leathers over the outside the rain doesn't run inside your boots....just look at the way Rossi wears his :bleh:

NC
16th October 2004, 06:41
Ive got some alpinestar smx (or something like that) and they seem pretty good.

Mine Squeek still, like after a year. Do yours?

Quasievil
16th October 2004, 06:53
Well you should be coming to the rally we got 3 pairs to give away as part of the prizes mate :Punk:

wildfire1
16th October 2004, 07:01
ahem....Buy nice shiny ones that fit properly...The old adage 'You get what you pay for' applies especially to Bike boots, helmets, and stereo equipment.

P.S -Frosty...this is a voice from your past :devil2: ......(didn't used to worry you in Darby street what you wore - still I think you had an XJ900 back then, so getting your knee down was a rarity). :spudwave:

FROSTY
16th October 2004, 08:54
ahem....Buy nice shiny ones that fit properly...The old adage 'You get what you pay for' applies especially to Bike boots, helmets, and stereo equipment.

P.S -Frosty...this is a voice from your past :devil2: ......(didn't used to worry you in Darby street what you wore - still I think you had an XJ900 back then, so getting your knee down was a rarity). :spudwave:
Holey cow dude thats goin back a lot of years. Yea back then the pegs were so low ya diddnt worry about knee down it was tips of boots and footpegs wearing out.
-come to think of it i still dont wear out my sliders-just toes and lower fairings.

NC
16th October 2004, 09:00
OMG you two are Darby st boys?

*slides out the back***

Bonez
16th October 2004, 09:09
Get yourself a pair of John Bull combats boots and your feet will love you for it Nice soft soles. and can be used for a multitude if chores other than riding.
They're also good for those riders with "duck's desease" (arse close to the ground), give a bit of elevation for those bike's with higher saddles. Of couse if you ride a Harley this doesn't apply :killingme Did i mention the nice soft soles?

k14
16th October 2004, 09:10
Mine Squeek still, like after a year. Do yours?

Nope can't recall mine ever squeaking, and I've had mine since november last year. They are fairly worn now, although no crashes yet.

The toe sliders definately are good. Ive nearly worn the left one out, although it has worn the sole under the slider out aswell, from trying to change gears. Need to change to race pattern shift I think.

Stevo
16th October 2004, 11:01
Mine were squeaking (just the ankle brace thingy) but nothing a drop of sunlight where it was rubbing didn't fix. Sunlight is pretty boot friendly too I imagine.

By the way K14. Nice bike! :Offtopic: Kickaha stayed here a few weeks ago and said your racing is goin pretty well. Great stuff!

NC
16th October 2004, 11:16
Nope can't recall mine ever squeaking, and I've had mine since november last year. They are fairly worn now, although no crashes yet.

Ah poos, I just checked em they are the S-MX.

Meh! I need to stop the squeek, all my non-biker mates hassle me about it..:lol:
Bastards!!

dhunt
16th October 2004, 13:07

Meh! I need to stop the squeek, all my non-biker mates hassle me about it..:lol:
Bastards!!
Some CRC or oil should fix the squeek :doh:

k14
16th October 2004, 13:11

Bastards!!

Actually now that you mention it, I am wearing them at the moment (just got back from a ride) and they do squeak a tiny bit. Nothing noticable though. I heard that the Sidi's are really bad for it though.

Cheers stevo, kickaha must have been talking about someone else, I'm just the mobile chicane :killingme

Mr Skid
16th October 2004, 14:34

What sorta wanker quotes his own posts? :laugh:

I've just got back from there, they've also got the alpinestars sm-x boots for $399.

I had a look at them and the A* boots look more pretty and stuff, but I'd rather fall off in the sidis.

FROSTY
16th October 2004, 14:37
Thanks pap--Ill go check em out.

wildfire1
18th October 2004, 10:23
:spudwave:
OMG you two are Darby st boys?

*slides out the back***

Yes...A long long long time ago..in a land far far away...and possibly best left there...I just couldnt resist the taunt. :devil2:

hehehe

magnum
20th October 2004, 16:45
sid vert2 are good. :niceone:

Hitcher
20th October 2004, 20:50
If you want a real riding boot, rather than just the flash and dash in hot colours with bunnions for track days and posing, you can't go past the Daytona GoreTex. Nice and comfy, easy to get off and on, pretty darned close to being waterproof and easy to wear UNDER your trousers. They stay together pretty well too when you and your ride go sliding off down the road together...

sAsLEX
20th October 2004, 21:02
Get yourself a pair of John Bull combats boots and your feet will love you for it Nice soft soles.

HAd some for years, soles are starting to wear out now though, use them for uni when I only ride in jeans. most comfy things I own!!

dhunt
20th October 2004, 21:08
I've got some forma revenge boots, lots of padding in the right spots as well as toe scrappers etc. Also very comfortable as well, hopefully should keep my ankles intact if I come off again :doh:

750Y
21st October 2004, 08:57
i'm impressed with the vert2's but next time it'll be vert race with the anti ankle roll thing.

FROSTY
22nd October 2004, 06:31
Well thanks for all the advise guys.n gals. I asked Chris haldane the same advise and he tosssed me a pair of sidi race verts.He did me a bloody good deal because they had done a lap or two of a couple of racetracks.

inlinefour
17th December 2004, 04:33
My trusty ol sidi boots have coughed their last gasp as far as race boots are concerned. I've been out scouring the bike shops trying to figure out what the hey to buy and Im totally bambooozled.
boots seem to vary from 199 to 799 and other than toe scrapers i can't see a lot of difference .
any feedback about brand /type apreciated

Got some for $400 and they are the best yet. Check em out put em on and you'll see what I'm yakkin about.