PDA

View Full Version : Getting Tyres Fitted at Motomail?

Slim
25th July 2003, 07:50
Beware!

Kerry has had his tyre pressure gauge "re-calibrated" and it appears to be reading 10psi light. ie: His read 36 & mine read 46, meaning that my tyres were overinflated.

I've done a survey down here with various other tyre pressure gauges and they agree with my reading, either exactly or within 2psi.

I'll be advising Kerry this morning that he should get it re-checked.

sandman
25th July 2003, 14:29
Slim,
I've had similar happen at Cyclespot,and Cycletreads...I've been told my pressures are down after a service...when I've checked with my gauges (I got two) thay've overinflated my tyres...ditto at Cycletreads after new tyre fitting...

Moral is ..trust no one with your tyre pressures...or your life..:whocares:

bikerboy
25th July 2003, 18:08
How does one know who's gauge is accurate? Does one need to go around comparing it with others to see, seems a pain in the ass way to verify. How many should one sample, how off is acceptable ?:argh:

Blackbird
25th July 2003, 19:48
The more expensive gauges work like a barometer (Bourdon tube) and are built like industrial process gauges.  The one I have is made by Accu-Gage and I bought it about 5 years ago from Motomail.  Cost about $50 if I remember right, but it reads within 1psi of the calibration gauges at work.  Worth its weight in gold!

:done:

What?
26th July 2003, 08:31
I have two Accu-Gauges, one low range and one normal range. Had them both calibrated by an instrument tech at my work. They were both very good initially, now nigh-on perfect. Well worth the $ spent (and less $ than some less accurate gauges, too).