PDA

View Full Version : Compulsory First Aid Courses?

notasothers
12th October 2007, 19:09
Hands up who thinks that completing a first aid course should be a requirement of obtaining a learner motorcycle licence? With a refresher course every 5-10 years?

I done a few advanced courses back in my army days and have had to use it on a number of occasions. Mostly when out riding.

Most of us like to push the limits most of the time and i'm sure your mate wants to know that you can help them out if the unthinkable happens and vice versa.

blacksheep
12th October 2007, 19:20
its hard enough going through all the red tape now to get a full license,how about if you made car drivers do first aid courses seeing as they are the ones usually to blame?

davereid
12th October 2007, 19:59
Crap idea IMHO. If you want to save a few plonkers from the grave, lobby to make helmets compulsory for car users. Its head injuries kill 300 of em a year.

Trudes
12th October 2007, 20:07
I don't think it's necessary. I did my refresher today, god they are boring after 10 years of refreshers!!

007XX
12th October 2007, 20:23
Mmmm...I'm not sure about this one! The rules about first aid seem to constantly change, way more often than every 5 or 10 years. I think the St Jonh;s one have to be renewed every 2 years or so, and they get pretty expensive...

Also the basic teachings don't help much with actual distress situatuions I found. All I was told was to compress and elevate, and that it's better for the rider to die having his helmet removed than to die suffocating in it...:eek5:...then I got told the opposite (ie: never touch the helmet) from another St John's employee about 6 months later.

so, as much as I'd think it is a very good idea for anyone to have basic CPR knowledge, I fail to see how making it compulsory for bike riders would make them better, safer riders, which I thought is what we all aim to be.

spookytooth
12th October 2007, 20:25
yea just what i need more bullshit to do that i dont want to do

Highlander
12th October 2007, 23:11
Should be a compulsory part of the school curricculum, never mind just for those of us who want motorcycle licences.

MarkyMark
14th October 2007, 20:16
Theres only a certain amount you can help yourself with first aid, I reckon it's more for others. +1 Teach it in school.

discotex
14th October 2007, 21:57
Theres only a certain amount you can help yourself with first aid, I reckon it's more for others. +1 Teach it in school.

Self admistered CPR might be a little difficult eh? :lol:

Not keen on making lessons compulsary but how would you feel if you needed to administer first aid to save someone's life and couldn't? I know I'd feel stink. All the more reason to teach it in schools.

steveb64
22nd October 2007, 13:57
Should be a compulsory part of the school curricculum, never mind just for those of us who want motorcycle licences.

Had my life saved by a mate who did First Aid (St. Johns) at high school. Crashed a YZ250 big time (tore the front end off the bike), went head first into the ground at near full speed - face first. Smashed out front teeth, ripped muscles in eyes (major double vision for months after), concussion for 3 weeks... left bleeding from mouth and nose, down bank - not breathing. 3 of us in group with First Aid experience - me and 2 others. First guy looks at me - shits himself and says "He's dead!". Other guy comes down - looks - clears bits of teeth, tongue, and blood out of way - and I start to breathe again! (didn't find this out for 20 years or so - till just recently!). Sort of woke in hospital - but only remember bits for the next three weeks - then another mate was driving - and I was in the back - and CRASH! SHIT that hurt... Another night in hospital, and 4 or 5 stitches in my leg... Followed a week later - hobbling past the Phoenix palm in back yard and ARRRGH! What the fcuk? Look down, and two big spines sticking out. Hell of a Christmas that year...

Oh, and BTW - I WAS wearing a full face helmet! Otherwise I'd be well fcuked!

tri boy
22nd October 2007, 14:04
[QUOTE=notasothers;1244587]Hands up who thinks that completing a first aid course should be a requirement

Thats what "Cubs, Scouts and Girl Guides" was for.

Mmmmm Girl Guides camping......:shifty:

2fst4u
26th October 2007, 20:09
[QUOTE=notasothers;1244587]Hands up who thinks that completing a first aid course should be a requirement

Thats what "Cubs, Scouts and Girl Guides" was for.

Mmmmm Girl Guides camping......:shifty:

and cadet forces, air training corps. they dont compare to scouts. we learn first aid compulsary.i have 16 hours first aid training at 15, it's a very good idea to learn it but compulsary? too many people would not bother

Squiggles
26th October 2007, 21:39
I did a course at school for free... Despite it being so only 8 others did it (of a 7th form of 400) :eek5: