PDA

View Full Version : Motomart and Ducati 620 Dark opinions please?

hobdar
14th October 2007, 14:04
Hi y'all

My 1984 FJ1100 is past its useful life for me, and my wife has approved a reasonable amount to spend on something much newer......8Kish WOOOHOOOOO:gob:

Anyway

There is a nice 2005 Ducati 620 Dark 8K on the clock in what appears to be reasonable condition......at Motomart in Welly town......:scooter:

Anyone have any opinions on either the bike choice or common faults to look for or better options for the money?

Or

the bike shop.....good bad etc....?

Thanks for the help.......

manwithav8
14th October 2007, 14:27
the Monster 620 Dark?

I don't know too much about the 620 but the monster in itself is a cool bike to ride. So much fun with an aggressive upright riding position. There is endless mods to them to make then look and sound great..

I ride a 95 M900 which I spent 8k on and have been loving every moment on it.

The only thing to look out for I guess would be maintenance costs. If your handy with tools then you will find all sorts of how to's on the forum I have linked below for you.

The mrs and I went for a two up blast on the weekend with the palmy crew down to wellies and back, we didn't have any problems that related to having two on the bike. Plenty of power and comfort for that ride. These bikes are always screaming out for a squirt on the twisties as they are very flickable ( apparently, I haven't tried ) but with two up over the Paicock hill we still have a blast.

Check out the link below, any question you have will be answered on this forum.....

http://www.ducatimonster.org/index.html

manwithav8
14th October 2007, 14:38
If you would like to do some two up riding I dont know if the 620 will have enough oommmffff if you want to get on it to keep up with a group.

For a little extra I noticed there was a few 900cc monsters at motomart. Or you could even go the whole hog and opt for the S2r 1000. These bikes are really forgiving if you behave for a while. I have only been riding mine ( 900 ) for 3 weeks now and totally trust the bike. The power delivery is very smooth through out the range unlike the inline 4's that can catch you unaware..... Twist it and it is constant steady power.

There you go, just a few things to think about but like I said, if you really want to know pro's and cons, check out the monster list.. So many people on there that will help with anything..

manwithav8
14th October 2007, 14:42
It is hard to sum these bikes up in one hit lol..

If you go for the larger bike ( 900 ) you also get the dry clutch. What a sound that makes. It scares animals and little children. It sounds like a whole lot of metal things fighting and trying to eat each other... Or easily said, a big empty coffee can with ball bearings inside and the shit shaken out of it.

Some don't like it but some do....There is that fear that you think your bike is about to grenade itself but it is totally normal..

Sparky Bills
14th October 2007, 15:08
Bunch of good guys at Motomart...:niceone:

hobdar
14th October 2007, 15:37
Thanks..for the advice.....

I am not a rocket pilot and feel the need for something to do the daily commute thats not going to guzzle gas or cost tons to maintain like the FJ1100 has in the 6 months i have had it.....paid 3k and spent half that again....and it was from a local bike shop hence the is motomart ok question.

This bike purchase is more about getting something that will last for a while, hold its value ok...

manwithav8
14th October 2007, 15:51
is an injected bike so there won't be any cost in tune ups etc. Unless you opt for mods like exhaust and airbox. You can get the PC111 for them which I think have a preset map for the mods you state. SHould be plug and play really.

Otherwise you should find the 620 easy on the pocket fuel wise, but just be careful if you have a look around the monster list site. The mod bug will hit and it is hard to get rid of.

There is way to much scope for these bikes to leave them standard.

I would suggest heading down to motomart and taking it for a little squirt. While your there though you might aswell try a couple of others aswell.. See what fits you best and what you enjoy. Take into account the ride height etc. The 620 I would imagine will have a low ride height being a small bike. I mean hell, my M900 is little. They do however have a height adjuster on the market for them.

hobdar
14th October 2007, 17:18
thanks manwithav8....

I intend on taking it for a ride as soon as they put a new tyre on it.....which will hopefully be done Tuesday......

just trying to do a little research on the bike and the company...

So far have not found anything bad about this bike, on most of the sites i have seen it comes across as a nice starter for a monster/Duc. Good for commuting and a good all round ride from what i have read.

main thing is not to scimp on the service intervals, the actual cost can be a little more to service but the interval is longer than jap bikes and you need to find a mechanic who works on them every day. So far i have not found any major gotcha issues with this bike.

So now am waiting for the test ride, and will take a couple of others in my price range for a blat too.....and see what happens.

manwithav8
14th October 2007, 17:24
If you are handy on the tools then alot of the servicing can be done by yourself saving cost.

Easy things like changing oil and filter, learning how to bleed the brakes and clutch. The site I told you about has a brilliant how to section on changing timing belts and checking valve clearances.

From what I beleive the service intervals for major servicing is every 10k k's with the 20000k the biggy with new belts.

Once you have the bike and you start working on it yourself, you will learn all about it which is a good thing. You will be able to pick up on the issues that may arise.

DUCATI*HARD
14th October 2007, 17:48
have you checked out the 800sie,i think 2up on that 620 would soon get boring,,,,and do test ride before you buy:niceone:

lanci
14th October 2007, 22:10
Hey bud, I have already paid a deposit on that bike........make the 2nd payment next Monday. I think it should be a fantastic bike.....

hobdar
15th October 2007, 10:43
Hey bud, I have already paid a deposit on that bike........make the 2nd payment next Monday. I think it should be a fantastic bike.....

What price and year was the one your getting?

lanci
15th October 2007, 12:17
It's a 2005 with 8,200 kms on the clock. Pretty sure it's the one you are looking at. Oh it was $7,995.

Bullitt
15th October 2007, 20:23
It is hard to sum these bikes up in one hit lol..

If you go for the larger bike ( 900 ) you also get the dry clutch. What a sound that makes. It scares animals and little children. It sounds like a whole lot of metal things fighting and trying to eat each other... Or easily said, a big empty coffee can with ball bearings inside and the shit shaken out of it.

Some don't like it but some do....There is that fear that you think your bike is about to grenade itself but it is totally normal..

My 600 Supersport has a dry clutch so Id guess the 620 does too.

Have a ride on a 620 but it "should" be enough even with a pillion. Ive carried my gf on the back of mine and had no problems even with Nauranga gorge hills etc. Though together we probably only weigh about 130kg so might make a difference if your bigger (as most people tend to be:Oops:)

I havnt owned my bike that long but Id recommend a Ducati, does what all other bikes do but at the same time it sounds mint and attracts alot of attention.

hobdar
15th October 2007, 20:57
It's a 2005 with 8,200 kms on the clock. Pretty sure it's the one you are looking at. Oh it was $7,995.

WHAT THE HELL............................from motomart??????

When did you put a deposit on it???? .......who were you dealing with?

The rear tyre was shot....and i was waiting for them to fix on Tuesday so i could take it for a test ride......will be ringing first thing in the morning to sort this out.....

this situation really sucks.....

lanci
15th October 2007, 21:24
Yeah, I payed the deposit about 2 weeks ago. It's weird, I was told that they would hold it for me. I was dealing with Todd Crichton. It's defintely the same bike as they were gonna replace the dead rear tyre.

I wonder what's going to happen, as no offence to you but if they let people test ride it I wouldn't be too happy.

Coyote
16th October 2007, 06:15
Bunch of good guys at Motomart...:niceone:
Except the tall young guy. His bikes are too nice and I'm jealous

is an injected bike so there won't be any cost in tune ups etc. Unless you opt for mods like exhaust and airbox. You can get the PC111 for them which I think have a preset map for the mods you state. SHould be plug and play really.

Unless you get an older carbed model. $8000 should get you a decent enough older model M900 (no single sided swingarm sadly) in a private sale. You'll need to pay a bit extra to buy from a dealer. Just make sure you get someone qualified to scope the bike out so keep the viewing local (I got mine sight unseen from Christchurch, look at my sig to see where that landed me...dumb idea).

About 3/4 of my non-commute riding is done with a pillion. I find my 400 is alright, considering you don't want to be scaring your pillion. I imagine the 620 would be even better having more torque.

Yeah, I payed the deposit about 2 weeks ago. It's weird, I was told that they would hold it for me. I was dealing with Todd Crichton. It's defintely the same bike as they were gonna replace the dead rear tyre.

I wonder what's going to happen, as no offence to you but if they let people test ride it I wouldn't be too happy.
Getting an idea of what dealers are like now :whistle: Get another customer lined up incase the current deal falls through (not a stab at this dealer, just all in general)

hobdar
16th October 2007, 06:45
Ok i was dealing with Dave, and he may not have known about this other deal.....so it could be a simple misunderstanding.............

He did say he had to talk to his boss about it first so maybe he knew something was happening but was not sure???

Will clarify....

hobdar
16th October 2007, 11:27
Ok the salesman i talked to did not know the bike was sold!?????:bye:

Sigh so now i have to look for another bike....

SVboy
16th October 2007, 12:09
Sad for you mate and a bit slack by the dealers-what about the new one-695?

Bullitt
16th October 2007, 20:09
Does it have to be that new? Theres plenty of monsters out there, including bigger ones if thats important to you.

hobdar
16th October 2007, 20:13
ummm want one under 5 years old, low kms, service history, not a gas guzzler as will be a daily commute, does not have to be a ducati, but would be nice......

hell whats a new one worth....

Her_C4
16th October 2007, 20:26
...................., does not have to be a ducati ...

:shit: what else IS there??? :drool: (call me Lynda B :laugh: ) :dodge:

hobdar
29th October 2007, 20:44
Final update.............after experiences with trying to buy a sold bike from a Ducati dealer in Wgtn ... the ducati dealer never got back to me when i tried to arrange a couple of test rides.....so..had a look around at other dealers..

one offered me 1k for a 1984 fj100 i bought in the last 6 months for 3k.....:crybaby:
and spent 1500K on already....new WOF...

Had a look around at a few other shops and spoke to Pete @ Wgtn Motorcycles....was very helpful and informative.......gave me lots of time on several bikes and had the SV650S demo bike for a couple of days while they checked the FJ out, gave me a good trade, pretty much what i wanted and so purchased a nice new 2006/7 SV650...........naked....off them

So..ended up at the shop that gave me the best service as a buyer......tip for all the other bike shops...don't get caught up cause people look rough or not wearing the right bike gear.or turn up in their cage with the family..you may get more sales that way....

Wgtn Motorcycles are 10K better off, i have a nice new bike....2 year warranty....:eek: And Pete and the new dutch guy (sorry mate forgot your name) were very helpful..... Wgtn Motorcycles is the bike shop to see........:niceone: thanks Guys...

PS better book in my 800 service i have done a couple of hundred K since i got it last week....partly due to my first Kb ride....

lanci
29th October 2007, 20:55
Good stuff on getting a bike and sorry for getting in on that Monster 620 before you :Oops:

I must admit that I found Motomart to be pretty reasonable with service and price so I give them a thumbs up. Will have to see how there after sales service is like.

hobdar
29th October 2007, 21:03
Hey not your problem. You would have thought they knew. nice bike hope you have lots of fun on it....

I KNOW i am going to have lots of fun on the SV......ummm if i don't loose my licence first.... :)

:love:

skelstar
29th October 2007, 21:03
Good shit dude. With some good cans on it those bikes sound great!

hobdar
29th October 2007, 21:07
Sounds pretty good to me as is...the neighbours like it to as its not as noisey as my last bike :P

..but i might look at putting an after market exhaust on it next year......

Drew
29th October 2007, 21:09
Hey not your problem. You would have thought they knew. nice bike hope you have lots of fun on it....

I KNOW i am going to have lots of fun on the SV......ummm if i don't loose my licence first.... :)

:love:

Well done man, the SV is one of the most surprisingly good bikes I've ever had the pleasure of riding. I was shocked at the performance to say the least. (In a good way)

If you do at some point wish to get on an Italian bike, flick a wee PM my way and I can put you in touch with someone who will deliver the service and expertease you were looking for.