PDA

View Full Version : Long Way Round (book of the series)

Bob
14th October 2007, 22:12
At long last, I have finally got to review the book of "The Long Way Round":

Click here for the full review - and an additional link to my earlier DVD review if you really have no idea about Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman's trip from London to New York by bike (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/longwayroundbook.htm).

Hope useful,

Bob

Usarka
15th October 2007, 15:36
hehe he'll never find me here :whistle:

BIGBOSSMAN
15th October 2007, 16:15
Nice one Bob, I totally enjoyed the series so the book will be an interesting read. Now if only I had a movie contract, maybe I could afford to ride across Antarticta to South America eh!

SVboy
16th October 2007, 12:04
I appreciate that the book is able to present a more full picture, but I have to admit, I lost sympathy for these two, in the DVD,s, because of their incessant whining...a good htfu pill may have helped!

007XX
16th October 2007, 12:13
I appreciate that the book is able to present a more full picture, but I have to admit, I lost sympathy for these two, in the DVD,s, because of their incessant whining...a good htfu pill may have helped!

Yes, I hear you. Got the same problem when we bought the DVDs, but they are did get a lot stauncher by the end...And admitedly, Mongolia did look like a Biatch of a place...

maybe they should have gone for the lighter, more nimble KTMs after all (if KTM had pulled their finger out and come on board, of course).

Did you see Boorman in the Paris / Dakar? Redeemed himself from all the whinging then, riding 400 kms with two very injured hands...

magicfairy
16th October 2007, 12:53
Did you see Boorman in the Paris / Dakar? Redeemed himself from all the whinging then, riding 400 kms with two very injured hands...

2 broken hands in fact...but he still managed to be a stress bunny for the rest of the Dakar, worrying about everyone else.
Looking forward to Long Way Down DVD.
It annoys me how much people criticise Ewan and Charley, at least they actually did it, not just talked about it. And they have done a huge amount of good for the public perception of bikers, and adventure riding especially.

007XX
16th October 2007, 13:29
2 broken hands in fact...but he still managed to be a stress bunny for the rest of the Dakar, worrying about everyone else.
Looking forward to Long Way Down DVD.
It annoys me how much people criticise Ewan and Charley, at least they actually did it, not just talked about it. And they have done a huge amount of good for the public perception of bikers, and adventure riding especially.

Exactly! I wasn't sure about both hands...I'm pretty sure his left thumb was dislocated and he had 5 bones broken in his right...

But that's neither here nor there...as you said he spent his time being an absolute trooper. My opinion of him increased hugely after that.

And yes, they're out there doing it!:rockon:

SVboy
16th October 2007, 13:46
Know where you are coming from, but the DVD painted a picture of passioned bikers, doing it all on a wing and a prayer, whereas the reality was they were well supported. I imagine BMW provided more than just the bikes....or am I just cynical. I follow that around the world series in the Aussie Two wheels Mag. Now there is a couple who ride and travel for the love, no fame or backing that I know of. No, they have not quite gone to the extremes of those two, but very close, and if they get in a situation, all they can rely on is themselves.
I agree that the publicity is good......

steveb64
26th October 2007, 01:01
Got the book - enjoyed it, as it filled in some gaps and answered some questions - like "Why aren't they just riding along the side of the road, in the grass, instead of through the middle of all the crap?"

A: Because the 'road' was several hundred metres wide (defined 'multi-track' :laugh:), and there wasn't really any other option... :oi-grr:

You know there's a 'Special Edition' of the DVD? 10 episodes, instead of 7... Also fills in more gaps that were in the first DVD.

bikerlou
26th October 2007, 08:51
At long last, I have finally got to review the book of "The Long Way Round":

Click here for the full review - and an additional link to my earlier DVD review if you really have no idea about Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman's trip from London to New York by bike (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/longwayroundbook.htm).

Hope useful,

Bob

I watched the series first on Tv in the UK, when I read the book I was a bit disapointed. :( Most books give more insight into details but for me the book didnt cut it. :weep: Which is a shame coz I have always said that books are better than the film.... obviuosly doeant apply so well when it's not fiction huh! :done:

banditrider
26th October 2007, 16:57
Got the book - enjoyed it, as it filled in some gaps and answered some questions - like "Why aren't they just riding along the side of the road, in the grass, instead of through the middle of all the crap?"

A: Because the 'road' was several hundred metres wide (defined 'multi-track' :laugh:), and there wasn't really any other option... :oi-grr:

You know there's a 'Special Edition' of the DVD? 10 episodes, instead of 7... Also fills in more gaps that were in the first DVD.

Got that - there's some interviews & stuff a year after the event too. 3 Disc's take a bit of getting thru. Yeah, you get a bit sick of the whinging but still a good program. Would be even better to do it!