PDA

View Full Version : piston rings

foxmoth
15th October 2007, 09:30
:argh: the price of new rings for my gs1000e, std 70mm by 1.175/1.190.
where oh where does one not pay over 600$ for a full set of rings for this old girl. are they the same as a Z1000?
car rings may be an option unless you talk me out of it but will still need new snap rings and the like. gaskets are coming from eruobike at a 1/4 of the cost of japan sourced ones

cheers

TonyB
15th October 2007, 09:40
If they are the same as Z1000 rings, I can help. I can supply Z1000 rings

Paul in NZ
15th October 2007, 09:54
Yeah - I feel your pain! The cost of mechanical spares for Japanese classics is fairly off putting...

I've used a guy in the US (Boston) to obtain stuff so if that model was sold there he can probably help.

Darrin Talbott [darrin@edshonda.com]

Cheers

foxmoth
15th October 2007, 10:02
If they are the same as Z1000 rings, I can help. I can supply Z1000 rings

gr8, am just finding out the size of the z1000. (circa 1980) i think about the same, 70mm x 1.175 etc will post back asap.
thanks to Darrin may email you about boston if this is a no-goer
cheers
steve bd

Paul in NZ
15th October 2007, 10:11
gr8, am just finding out the size of the z1000. (circa 1980) i think about the same, 70mm x 1.175 etc will post back asap.
thanks to Darrin may email you about boston if this is a no-goer
cheers
steve bd

Erm - no - sorry that was a bit confusing... Darrin is the guy in Boston you need to email...

From memory, there were 2 types of rings used in Z1000's. I think one model (J?) had a 2 ring set up in an effort to reduce drag - it was not one of the better ideas apparently..

Cheers

Paul N

foxmoth
15th October 2007, 11:50
ohkay, yep got the confusion thing sorted:Oops:
the rings are a match and no one (else i know) was alarmed by the j model but thats not to say its aint a thing, but the gs and the z1 have essentially the same piston and exactly same size ring grooves. = groovy :rockon:

thanks for your time and please find my details in a pvt msg to you
cheers
steve

pete376403
15th October 2007, 17:07
Got 4 sets (ie 4 pistons worth) for my GS1100GK from Suziparts.com.au about three years agfor what must have been a very reasonable price as the handbrake didn't object too much. Also Athena gasket sets - very high quality, from Bert Kingston, also Australia

foxmoth
15th October 2007, 18:29
thanks will google him and check it out

cheers sbd

Max Preload
16th October 2007, 16:37
Have you tried the piston ring place on the corner of Church Street & Great South Road, Penrose?

Kickaha
16th October 2007, 17:36
Cliff Bond in Christchurch will manufacture to suit if you can provide a sample

foxmoth
17th October 2007, 08:08
hi kickaha, seems to only do car rings but thanks anyway

foxmoth
17th October 2007, 08:10
hi awful truth, is that johnsonpiston rings,
if so they wont make such high spec their words, cheers

Max Preload
17th October 2007, 08:44
hi is that johnsonpiston rings,

That's the name I was struggling to remember... :whistle:

High spec? They do know the age of the bike, right? Hate to see their low spec stuff... :lol:

foxmoth
25th October 2007, 08:09
In case of further interest/use to any one
my findings may be common knowledge but not if you not common in this field,
thanks to pete376 i got the parts from oz for 350$kiwi. so with gaskets from eurobike savings of over 700$nz. :niceone:
car rings were on the whole too fat even if otherwise suitable, and probally either too modern techo so (i understood) too sharp or tensile for my bore, same issue with modern bike rings that may have fitted, whilst someone will be able to dispute this to me it seemed a lot of work to source something that may cause probs just to save a couple of hundred $, also machining the pistons seemed to be a possible mine field if it went wrong. new z1000 rings may have fitted but was unsure of it and price about the same as Suzuki original parts so why go there.
last option was going to be to bore it out a bit, and buy a set of wiseman pistons and rings for 1000$kiwi. may save that for next time...
been fun and thanks for the help much appreciated.
steve

roadracingoldfart
31st October 2007, 20:16
hi awful truth, is that johnsonpiston rings,

I would guess because the car rings are made to do a max of about 6000rpm and they are made from crappy cast iron .
They cant handle higher revs and just fall apart.

Interperate there comment as
"we dont want to have to cough for a repair bill when our rings break ",
its that simple im afraid.
Cheers Paul.