PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Decal Removal

カワサキキド
16th October 2004, 15:38
Whats the best way to remove fuel tank decals?

I took the rest of the sickers off easily with the trusty hairdrier, and I didn't even need to use the caramel wheel.

Is it posible to remove the the fuel tank decals with the hairdrier and a craft knife or would it be better just to sand through it with some 400 grit?

thehollowmen
16th October 2004, 17:03
the other day I used kero, a plastic spatula to lift the edges... pulled it off and then used a mixture of kero and SDA (ethanol + 17% methanol) to remove the last tacky stuff

Hope that helps

カワサキキド
16th October 2004, 17:32
thx, I'll give it a try,
if all else fails I can always use paint stripper to strip the whole tank.

カワサキキド
17th October 2004, 14:40
I lifted an edge with a craft knife and the took to it with the caramel wheel -took about 5min total - no stickey mess afterwards!

All I needed to after was give the bike a vacum and a dust to get all the rubber bits off from the caramel wheel.

(I used petrol to get rid of the stickey crap off the fairing, then wax and grease remover to get rid off the petrol!)

thehollowmen
17th October 2004, 15:28
good work, glad to see another method that works :-)

What exactly is a "caramel wheel"?

カワサキキド
17th October 2004, 20:17
It was about $24 from the local panel beating supply store, it makes enough friction to heat up the decal but not burn the paint. (smells good too)
Anyway a pictures worth...

thehollowmen
17th October 2004, 21:44
damn now that would be useful *grin*

Many thanks for that :-)

カワサキキド
17th October 2004, 23:44
np

usually when I google for an answer all I come up with is about a million people with the same question...so I thought it was a good idea to post a solution to my own question.

Hitcher
19th October 2004, 19:55
Use a moderate heat source -- like your wife/partner/girlfriend's hair drier. This will soften the adhesive and you can easily peel off without damaging the paint. Some transfers will delaminate during this process, so it may take a couple of goes. Residual adhesive is easily removed with kerosene and a soft cloth.