PDA

View Full Version : Scracha's VMCC Rd 6

scracha
15th October 2007, 20:05
http://www.piakocomputers.co.nz/2007/10/15/vmcc-round-6-2007-taupo-full-track/

Scrub in

I wasn’t looking forward to Taupo as I’d highsided the FZR400 here in round 1 and just didn’t like the place. Plan ‘A’ was just to stay on two wheels and bang in enough points to keep Nicksta from getting my 2nd place. Scrub in confirmed the CBR400 was running much better (almost 100%), the braking problem was fixed (new fluid and replaced rear shock) and more importantly it wasn’t losing all its coolant.

Qualifying

The bike felt good. I felt nervous. It wasn’t helped with Nicksta’s very effective psyche out technique of bumping into my back tyre on the scrutineering grid (still, beats doing it mid-race like she did in the last round :-) . For the first couple of laps I sat behind her and stole her much nicer lines. She seemed to be having trouble getting on the gas early though so I took a big breath and passed her. By lap 4 I was starting to enjoy myself and by Lap 5 I was wishing we’d had another 5 minutes out there. Qualified 17th (6th in Clubmans B) at just under 1:55.

Race 1
Hadn’t realised that I was on the inside of the grid until I lined up….gah. Average start for me, bogged it a bit and had to clutch it again. The green flag didn’t seem very “positive” and I’m sure a few bikes jump started as a result. Stupidly tried to get to my favoured “round the outside” position and ended up right in the middle of a lot of bikes. Almost took out a GSXR (dunno what size…the gixxers all look the same to me) but luckily he/she avoided me (my mistake). A bike Blew it’s motor right from the off with huge plumes of white smoke. He almost managed a full lap like this!

Diced with an SV650 for most of the race before they passed on the back straight. I tried holding up Glen’s GSXR1100 for a while but there’s not really the same “brake and block pass” opportunities at Taupo so he blasted past at the back straight. Chased him down on the twistier stuff but I quickly concluded it’s damn hard to pass at Taupo. Glen seemed to have picked up a lot more corner speed over the last couple of rounds (damn!) and was employing my trick of deliberately @#4cking up my corner exits on the tighter stuff…good work fellah.

On the back straight everyone else seemed to be braking at the 150m marker (faster bikes) and the wee CBR let me leave it until just after the 100m but it’s a brave bunny that tries going under on the brakes into the final esses without showing a bit of nose first. I was nearly that bunny when the SV650 passed me on the final lap but I then remembered I coudn’t afford a crash with Nicky not far behind me in the points. For once I beat the red mist. Finished 17th (6th Clubmans B) with a 1.52.

Due to my bad start had assumed Nicky was miles ahead of me so I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t happy to look round after the race and see her behind me.

Race 2
Much better start. Just aimed for inside of first corner this time…still a very alien concept to me. Took a few places around the outside on the next couple of corners and then attempted to pass Vicky who was having trouble on her 749 (missing gears she claims :-). She got her $hit together by the back straight and was offski. As she’d promised I’d “get it” if I passed her in the race I was rather hoping she’d end up in the grass :-)
Away Chasing Glen on bike 13Rest of the race was spent chasing Glen again. He’d slown down a little and was probably confident he could just squirt past on the back straight. Pretty boring race to be honest. Dave Coyle (Hyobag 650), Tom (VFR400) and Warren Wagener (ZXR400) weren’t there to dice with and the rest of the 400’s were having a bad day.

Finished 17th again (again 6th Clubmans B) with nice consistent 1.53’s.

The Bike

I like to trail the front brake going into corners and gradually load up the front but with the new shock the CBR just wasn’t willing to turn with even a hint of front brake. Then as soon as the brake was released it just flopped into corners very quickly. Seemed to be most problematic at the end of the start-finish straight and I ran very deep into that corner about 3 times. I’ll try dropping the front end a little to see if it helps. Maybe I should start using the back brake again? I dunno.

Conclusion

I almost enjoyed Taupo. Could have done with another race as I was working up the courage to just bang it in and keep it pinned on the fast right-hander onto the new section of track that I reckon is worth a good couple of seconds. Dean’s 1.48 on his CBR400 puts it into perspective though as I can’t see where I’ll find 4s a lap. I got my 2nd place and to be fair I’m pretty sure Glen would have still beat me to first even without the bike problems I had last round.

Plan now is to do Pre-89 on the CBR (F3’s looking like the “Club SV650″ unless lots of money is spent on a 400) and hopefully F2 on the Ducati (if I can qualify, if I can keep it in tyres, if I can get a sponsor). I’ll see if I can blag some cheap worn slicks for the 400 and have a play on them.

Big up’s to

* Econohonda - For donating a $hite old CBR shock that still works.
* Mumbles (Nick) and his Missus - For offering to let me sleep with them :-) and being a top pit bitch again. I can’t figure out his sense of humour though.
* Drew for showing me how to use tyre warmers (lol) and for loaning me gloves (I’d only brought one…my bad)
* Simon & Deano for letting me sleep on their floor at the campsite.
* Rob & Kerry (Drew & Vicky’s sponsor) for allowing me to bring some bling into their garage.
* Avalon who no doubt will be posting up great photo’s again.
* Bikestore for taking photos too.
* And of course the VMCC for running a great series.

Apologies to

* Blackbird - Came over to say hello but it was just before the first race and I’d just thrown up with nerves so wasn’t too talkative.

Maybe Santa will have some Ohlins trickery in his sack this year

limbimtimwim
15th October 2007, 20:18
* Simon & Deano for letting me sleep on their floor at the campsite.It was really Drew and Flame's.

Did you know you are immune to the old 'hand in a jar of warm water trick'?

Clivoris
15th October 2007, 20:18
Shit hot Scracha. 4 seconds up on me bro. Glad you got that bike sorted better. Why not f3 for shits and giggles?

roadracingoldfart
15th October 2007, 20:21
Good report for a person thats so hard to talk to its great to read .
As i said to you at the track , drop the forks a tiny bit and let the air out of the forks.
I always use the front and rear brake and when i tried to not use the rear i found the same hassle you speak of so maybe the CBR needs to have a bit of rear brake to help it to turn in better.
Well done and look foreward to seeing you next year.
Cheers Paul.

scracha
15th October 2007, 20:31
It was really Drew and Flame's.

And you made me sleep on the floor?

Did you know you are immune to the old 'hand in a jar of warm water trick'?
No, it's just because I drunk so much Vodka that I was probably too dehydrated to be able to pish myself.

You Kiwi's are all soft-cocks :baby: anyway. Last round of VMCC and everyone's tucked up in beddy bies by 11pm or summit. Bunch a fuckin bufties.. Deano was the only one with any party skills.

scracha
15th October 2007, 20:35
Good report for a person thats so hard to talk to its great to read .

Oh the racism I must endure on a daily basis :innocent:

I always use the front and rear brake and when i tried to not use the rear i found the same hassle you speak of so maybe the CBR needs to have a bit of rear brake to help it to turn in better.

Possibly. It's just that I've noticed a direct correlation between my using the rear brake and my crashing. Perhaps I need some linked brakes off a blackbird....ooer..

Nicksta
15th October 2007, 20:42
awesome stuff Steve.....
well done on your well earned and deserved 2nd place....
was great dicing with you when i could... look forward to post classic dices next year!

limbimtimwim
15th October 2007, 20:45
And you made me sleep on the floor?The couch folded out; fool!!

Good work, revel in your glory because it won't last next year.

That's if you do F3 anyway.

scracha
15th October 2007, 20:54
The couch folded out; fool!!

When I got drunk and couldn't schtop being Sean Connery you got a bit excshhited scho I felt schafer hiding inschide my schleeping bag on the floor.

Drew
15th October 2007, 21:15
When I got drunk and couldn't schtop being Sean Connery you got a bit excshhited scho I felt schafer hiding inschide my schleeping bag on the floor.

The Sean Connery was good, but long, and nearly evntuated into having Flame throw her helmet at your nuts.

Well done on the track bro, awesome result, would have been a higher season result if that young brother of mine hadn't come along and burgled it, looking at his times, silly young prick wouldn't be that far back in F1, and would have learned more, but next year is another story. (He wants to use my stunt bike at Wanganui in post classics, that'll be a learning curve for him alright.)

Mumbles
15th October 2007, 21:52
http://www.piakocomputers.co.nz/2007/10/15/vmcc-round-6-2007-taupo-full-track/

* Mumbles (Nick) and his Missus - For offering to let me sleep with them :-) and being a top pit bitch again. I can’t figure out his sense of humour though.

Your Kiwi is worse than we thought........ Sleep means sleep.... just wanted you to watch :shit:

You get my humour..... you just having trouble swallowing it :bleh:, not unlike the Vodka :sick: you where drinking Sat night.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's... MR Bitch!
:done:

Deano
16th October 2007, 20:26
[
I like to trail the front brake going into corners and gradually load up the front but with the new shock the CBR just wasn’t willing to turn with even a hint of front brake. Then as soon as the brake was released it just flopped into corners very quickly. Seemed to be most problematic at the end of the start-finish straight and I ran very deep into that corner about 3 times. I’ll try dropping the front end a little to see if it helps. Maybe I should start using the back brake again? I dunno.

Force the bastard to turn under front braking with the bars or gradually ease off the front brake as you enter the corner maybe. If it's like mine it gives you a little warning before the tyre lets go, which has so far been enough time to get off the brakes or maintain just enough brake pressure without losing the front.

Off the faster straight bits of track into tight corners, I use the rear first then the front brake, but if I don't get off the rear in time it sometimes sets up a rear end chatter. Solved as soon as I let go of the rear brake but it's hard to train yourself to let go of a brake when hurtling into a corner.

It's surprising how hard you can push the front end under brakes, and maybe only learn't after losing the front......hopefully not completely.

My humble opinion only.

limbimtimwim
16th October 2007, 20:43
Then as soon as the brake was released it just flopped into corners very quickly.You didn't change front tyres did you?

moT
17th October 2007, 13:14
well done for getting 2nd place i wish i was there to kick ur ass.. keep me posted about pmcc events i need to unleash a can of ass whoppin

scracha
18th October 2007, 16:06
Thank's Shirley (I assume) for posting out my MNZ license that I'd stupidly left in the office.

White trash
18th October 2007, 16:10
And you made me sleep on the floor?

No, it's just because I drunk so much Vodka that I was probably too dehydrated to be able to pish myself.

You Kiwi's are all soft-cocks :baby: anyway. Last round of VMCC and everyone's tucked up in beddy bies by 11pm or summit. Bunch a fuckin bufties.. Deano was the only one with any party skills.
Ahhhhh, so you're the cock no one can understand. Right. Good to put a face to the name.

Mumbles
18th October 2007, 17:17
i wish to kick ur ass.. keep me posted i need to unleash ass whoppin

Hay Tom hows that shoulder? whats with the ass talk again? :whistle:
Always the ass talk........

Some of Toms Quote may have been edited for dramatical effect:blink: