PDA

View Full Version : My FXR 150

WanaGo
25th July 2003, 19:37
Hey,

I see Antellica mentioned wining noise when he rides on his bike, mine has that too... what is it exactially ? Due for an oil change or something?
I just got my FXR 150 today, got some some asian dude in Palmerston North, he only did 300km's on it, its done 3000 total.
Also, what fuel should I run in it.

Thanks.
WanaGo

Antallica
25th July 2003, 19:49
Use '96 dude. The whining noise.... can you tell me if it's coming from the front wheel? How often does it happen?

It's been suggested to me that maybe there might be something caught in my front pad that's causing it... the guys at my local shop don't know what the hell it is. They were hell bent on it being the chain/drive sprocket... but if you lean over the front you can clearly tell it's coming from the front.

Let me know will ya,
Ants

What?
26th July 2003, 08:50
Noise diagnosis over the net ain't easy, but guys, there's only a limited number of things it could be. Could just be road noise, could be bearings (unlikely), could be brake pads not retracting fully or it could be the speedo drive bevel gear (my bet).

Have you tried lifting the front up and spinning the wheel by hand? If it doesn't spin freely it could be bearings or brake. To rule out brakes, go for a good ride (several K's) and stop without touching the front brake. Now (carefully) feel the disc. Is it hot? If not, it's not the brakes. Finally, take the wheel off, remove the speed drive, then repalce the wheel and see if the noise is gone. It may be best to do this on rollers rather than riding - I don't know if the speedo drive on your bike forms part of the front axle support - try it at a race meeting, there is bound to be someone with rollers who will oblige.

Good luck:niceone:

WanaGo
26th July 2003, 09:24
Well if its comming from the front wheel, then mine doesnt have a problem.... :rockon:
I thaught you ment it was comming from the engine. I suppose its just a usual sound, but since I have only just got my bike, and you said you heard a wining noise... I assumed the worst..... so sweet, mine is fine! :D

Does anyone know the engine specs? Like HP, Torque? And how many k's approx can you get per tank of gas? Like town driving or open road driving etc.... ?

Cheers
WanaGo

Antallica
26th July 2003, 11:29
Yep, I'll try my hardest to get my ass over to Pukekohe and one of the KB guys can have a look. Need some more opinions. I reckon it might be the breaks.

Search www.google.co.nz for specs..... Suzkui has them stored away on their site somewhere.

As for gas, town driving is about 400k+ (supposedly).... open road driving is about 300k.

WanaGo
27th July 2003, 09:39
Hey,

On my front light on my FXR, there is an adjustment screw underneath with you can undo and move the position of the light up or down, I take it this is for having passenger on the back or whatnot. Anyway, I dont have the screw, and the little slot that the screw once went into on the underside of the light is half smashed off :argh: , maybe last owner tightened it too much ?? Anyone know how much a new light housing would cost?

Thanks
WanaGo

Antallica
27th July 2003, 18:18
You don't adjust the headlight for passengers, where'd you get that idea? You adjust the suspension with passengers (not that you really need to).

Oh don't go getting a new bit, they will make you get a whole new headlight seriously.

Just grab some fairly thick mesh, thick enough to get a screw into it and stick/screw it onto the headlight plastic. My mate has done this and it's a beauty. Just ghetto something up, it's pays itself off. :D

WanaGo
27th July 2003, 20:05
Well I actually got it from my dad. When there is more weight on the back, the bike will be lower at the back, so you need to tilt the light down a bit. Yes you adjust the suspension aswell, but that is how hard the ride is, not how tall the back end of you is off the ground.....

WanaGo

Antallica
27th July 2003, 20:25
/me stupid :rolleyes: .... yeah I see your point.... but I don't think it'd raise by that much.

Man the FXR's are scary with a passenger... the weight balance isn't really ideal for me, need more practice.

wkid_one
27th July 2003, 20:27
Shit - I ride with my head light on full all the time anyway

WanaGo
27th July 2003, 20:32
Hey,

My mates took me around on my bike for a few days before I got it, and they said the bike was good with me on the back..... thats odd..

Maybe practice is the key...

WanaGo

georgedubyabush
27th July 2003, 20:56
Originally posted by wkid_one
Shit - I ride with my head light on full all the time anyway

ditto, never been flashed either

Racey Rider
27th July 2003, 21:19
Hey WanaGo, welcome to the site. I've just had one question!

Is that a CAR your useing as your Avatar pic!? :gob:
Were not that fussed on "Cages" around here! I'm sure I only JUST get away with my Trike!
Maybe you should cut that pic in half, then at least it would only have two wheels, and might fit in better with the site!! :D

WanaGo
27th July 2003, 21:28
Is that a CAR your useing as your Avatar pic!?
Were not that fussed on "Cages" around here! I'm sure I only JUST get away with my Trike!

:Oops:

And a very nice trike it is too. Yeah sorry about the pic.... Parents have just got back from holiday with the digital camera, so ill be able to put a bike picture up then....

Sorry, no offence was ment....

Ill replace it with a bikey now..... :o

WanaGo :beer:

Kwaka-Kid
27th July 2003, 21:45
now now RR dont go scarey away our new mates :)

hey there Wanago, im KK :).  To be perfectly honest with you, i understand the concept of tilting light, changing suspension, changing tyre pressures etc etc for a passanger, but the only one id heard of was the tyre pressures, and im not sure about anyone else here, but i never even do that, if you go into too much detail etc i find its hard to say where to stop... i mean, changing hte light tilt? hmm, its like, oh crap, hold on mate, ill just throw my special hardend sidewall set of spare tyres on, then on and on it goes :p a little exagerrated but still, got my view? heh.  Also i find it easier on bigger bikes to go 2up around the place, like the old GS1000, so damned heavy a passanger is only like 10% extra weight :P.  hate riding small bikes 2up, infact rode my mates ZXR250 the other day 2up, and mate its a nite setup with nice tyres, but we were going out of a giveway @ a wee bit of pace, leaned left, he leaned left too which his weight on a small bike made up for a fair bit if you know what i mean (and no he isnt fat tho) and so it leaned the bike that bit furhter then i expected, and managed to clip the fairing under on a kurb!!! i know, i was like, wtf?! no way! haha, then proceeded to take a bashing on my back for it :)  luckily i cant see anything, could be right up under? or side of engine? not sure, but scraped somthing yet no visible! (spose thats a good thing) anyways, i typed more then i wanted to and my wrists are sore(no j/ks thanks!:p) so nite all, and welcome once again Wanago :)

WanaGo
27th July 2003, 21:52
Wowers....

Thanks for that... Ill have to print that out and finish it when I get into bed, I couldnt finish reading that in one sitting! :D jks

Yeah I get your point.... its just the only explanation for why you would want to change the light tilt.... so yeah. Mines just flopping around in the brease, thats all..

WanaGo

Kwaka-Kid
27th July 2003, 21:56
Nope its not the only explaination.. my CB250RS has one, all hte bikes ive owned have had them, every car ive worked on has had them.

im not entirely sure about bikes, but for cars they often need adjusting every now and then, be it form minor bumps, to big smacks without braking lens's, once hte panel beater has done his job, it never all lines up perfectly, and so for the WOF they need to be a certain height etc, so u adjust the adjuster screw :)  and for bikes im guessing same, after binning my CB250 it bent headlight brackets, so i bent it back with my own 2 hands :) looked streight enuf, but headlight was aiming down rather low, what do you do? use the adjuster :)   -thats all :D  have a good night little man :)

WanaGo
27th July 2003, 21:58
hahaha....

:eek:

WanaGo

:done:

bikerboy
28th July 2003, 18:57
Sorry Wanago, someone should have warned you about KK. :eek: :confused:

bungbung
29th July 2003, 10:15
I think having a pillion on a FXR will seem like less and less of a good idea. How much does it weigh? surely 100 - 140 kg. The pillion could add 50% to 100% more weight depending on how many pies have been eaten. As for the headlight, I can't switch mine off, its factory wired on. I only get to choose between high and low beam.

georgedubyabush
29th July 2003, 19:24
nah... as long as it's got rear pegs beats walking right. gone 3up on the xl185, but then thats not on the road. balancing a haybale on the back is fun too. or the dog

WanaGo
2nd August 2003, 18:00
Got my licence today.... woot!!

WanaGo

bikerboy
2nd August 2003, 18:44
:banana: CONGATULATIONS :banana:

georgedubyabush
2nd August 2003, 21:52
be sure to keep to that 70 k limit now wont you:p

Antallica
2nd August 2003, 22:13
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hell no dude.. ride it like you stole it! and never have that L plate anywhere near your FXR... you'll get it smashed in.

WanaGo
2nd August 2003, 23:36
Ha, yeah I couldnt find a spot for the damn Loozer plate anyway, so its just under my seat... hah... looks dumb. Been cruzing all day, been good. Whats this about a 70km/h limit?? Never heard of it... hahaha...

Have any of you FXR owners/past owners noticed a winding noise in 5th gear when you are decelerating, or going at a fairly slowish constant speed (like 70) ? Similar to the sound when you change down into 1st when your still moving... but not as solid....

WanaGo

Andrew
9th August 2003, 23:37
When i passed my learner license theory test the AA person at the counter told me to keep the plate on my bike around town.

But if I wanted to go on the motorway I was told to take it off but stay in the slow lane. So I don't think they are too worried about this 70k limit. Just don't get caught doing over 120k's without ur plate, then ur really in for it :argh: Cos if you displayed ur plate u'd get a smaller fine.

georgedubyabush
10th August 2003, 10:39
Originally posted by Andrew
But if I wanted to go on the motorway I was told to take it off but stay in the slow lane. So I don't think they are too worried about this 70k limit. Just don't get caught doing over 120k's without ur plate, then ur really in for it :argh: Cos if you displayed ur plate u'd get a smaller fine.

smaller fine? on a learners with a 70kmh limit, 120 is 50kmh over the limit and could well be instant loss of licence if the cop was really anal. My plate was on for all of 10minutes for my test. then straight off. It's a bit different up here though. Im lucky (or maybe unlucky) to see 1 cop in a month:done:

Antallica
10th August 2003, 17:43
Originally posted by georgedubyabush
smaller fine? on a learners with a 70kmh limit, 120 is 50kmh over the limit and could well be instant loss of licence if the cop was really anal. My plate was on for all of 10minutes for my test. then straight off. It's a bit different up here though. Im lucky (or maybe unlucky) to see 1 cop in a month:done:

Hell yeah... is it the dude in the Police 4WD?

WanaGo
10th August 2003, 19:52
Yo.

What is the actual fine for not displaying your L plate, if you just randomly get pulled over or whatnot, but otherwise not doing anything wrong.

Cheers

Kwaka-Kid
10th August 2003, 20:44
from memory its between $150-200 bux. $200 methinks, simple breach of licence restrictions

Flyingpony
11th April 2005, 11:56
Have any of you FXR owners/past owners noticed a winding noise in 5th gear when you are decelerating, or going at a fairly slowish constant speed (like 70) ? Similar to the sound when you change down into 1st when your still moving... but not as solid....

WanaGo

Have not heard either sound you're referring to.

GROOMER
11th April 2005, 15:57
Use '96 dude. The whining noise.... can you tell me if it's coming from the front wheel? How often does it happen?

It's been suggested to me that maybe there might be something caught in my front pad that's causing it... the guys at my local shop don't know what the hell it is. They were hell bent on it being the chain/drive sprocket... but if you lean over the front you can clearly tell it's coming from the front.

Let me know will ya,
Ants

I had an FXR150 from new. After 1500km or so, it started making a high pitched (sometimes embarrassingly loud) squeal from the front wheel intermittantly, WMCC had it a few times to find what it was, but it never faulted for them. Then the 4th time I took it in they stripped it and all it was was a dry seal! :p

Flyingpony
11th April 2005, 17:26
Also, what fuel should I run in it.

I was told by my local Suzuki dealer to run on '91 as '96 screws the sparkplug or something.

The whining noise.... can you tell me if it's coming from the front wheel?

I've had my front brakes squeak and that was resolved by doing some heavy braking now and then.