PDA

View Full Version : Axeman threatens Bristol bike shop staff – gets let off with caution

Bob
16th October 2007, 00:25
When staff at a Bristol bike dealers were threatened by a man wielding an axe, police let him off with just a caution.

The 41 year old – who has not been named - armed with a 3ft axe, walked into Bristol Kawasaki in St Philip's, and threatened staff, claiming they had sold him a duff battery.

The man then went to attack thousands of pounds of new bikes, but salesman Paul Haggett managed to talk him out of taking any further action. The Axeman then smashed the axe on Mr Haggett’s desk before running out of the shop – straight into the hands of waiting police.

Mr Haggett said: "I shouted at him, 'Don't do it' when he looked like he was going for the bikes. It was then that he walked towards me holding the weapon. He came up to my desk and smashed the axe on to the desk top, sending everything flying," said Mr Haggett. "I just froze. That axe had at least a 3ft long handle."

The drama was captured on one of the shop's CCTV cameras, which clearly shows the mystery man holding the deadly weapon. Police cautioned the man, and released him without charge.

Liz Kirkham, a police press officer, said: "A 41-year-old man of no fixed abode was arrested on suspicion of possessing an offensive weapon and making threats to cause criminal damage. He was cautioned and released. The decision to caution was based on the fact that this was a first offence.”

"No one was hurt in the incident and the weapon was seized by police."

tri boy
16th October 2007, 16:32
No one was hurt, THIS TIME.
Sounds like a nutter holding on by the last thread.
I'm sure the coppers will have a statement ready when he kills some one.

Mr Merde
16th October 2007, 16:40
If that was here they would have shot him,

eventually.

Buddy L
16th October 2007, 17:18
Thought you were talking about
Paul Whibley aka "The Axe Man"
NZ endro Master and champion of a shit load of off road events

NighthawkNZ
16th October 2007, 17:20
If that was here they would have shot him,