PDA

View Full Version : Career number 2 wanted, Adult Apprenticeship Wanted, Taranki.

sub_low
16th October 2007, 02:06
Hello and thanks for having a nosey!
My name is Phil and in 3 weeks time I move back home to NZ with my pregnant wife to await the birth of our first child.
I’m 30 years old and have been into bikes as far back as I can remember, owning many over the years and doing most of the servicing myself thanks to a reasonable sized collection of Haynes Manuals.

About 4 years ago I made the decision to leave the Live Sound Industry where I worked my way up the food chain for the previous 9 years which also had me offered work in the UK where my wife and I have lived for the last 7 years.

Since leaving the pro audio industry 4 years ago I have been on the hunt for Career number 2 and if I’m honest have been struggling to figure out the question as to what it would be that would actually make me happy and keep me interested. Since being in the UK I had made a real point of getting to as many British Super Bike races as possible and as a result being the typical kiwi found it easy to network a little in the BSB paddock eventually making a number of reasonable friendships in a few of the teams, namely HRC’s HM Plant and Redbull Honda and GSE racing (Airwaves Ducati)

After a while I started sniffing around for work but was eventually told by
Neil Tuxworth, HM Plant Honda’s Team manger and MD for Honda Racing UK that although they would love to give me a job sweeping their floor due to my passion and drive but the reality of the situation was that due to my limited actual service experience I wouldn’t be a much of an option as a team member however I was told to keep in touch and maybe somewhere down the line that could change should I get a little more experience. I would love to exploit that contact again sometime down the line.

This did get me thinking. I had been thinking about going to university and doing engineering how ever I wasn’t really sure if that was actually what I wanted to do. I figured that going to university just because all of my other adult friends who were also looking for a genuine career change were was pointless and after all I don’t have to be going to University to find career number 2. I didn’t really like the idea of doing some course in another career that actually doesn’t excite me in my heart and doesn’t really combine a genuine passion and major interest with a means of income.

After talking with my wife about it for a while we agreed that the idea of finding a motorcycle apprenticeship would probably make me as happy as pig in s£$t and why not. I understand the money would never be as good as possible other carers but I don’t care as I’m not one who has any interest in material possessions as my only source of drive in life, so long as I’m working with or around bikes I don’t think id ever change my mind on that career change choice.

I have a genuine 5 year plan that in the early stages of 2008 I would be looking to start. Ultimately I'd be interested in working my way into a career as an engine builder in the racing industry however right now I'm looking to start at the very bottom where ever I can so long as it’s on bikes.

For the last 4 years I have been working as a Engineering Manager in 5 year old central London high rise building were I’m responsible for managing a team of 4 engineers maintaining and servicing the building’s £25million + ,HVAC plant and building fully automated engineering services.
Thanks to my natural mechanical aptitude and work ethic it hasn’t taken me long to move up the chain of command here however should I be successful in finding the start required to get my new career going I would be genuinely wanting to sweep the floor like any freshly out of school apprentice would be expected to do and make the tea and coffee where needed if the case maybe. I do have a bit of knowledge already but do take constructive criticism like oxygen as I do see it being vital to my personal growth however Id also be more than prepared to do the required tech classes were need be. Id also be prepared to work for an adult apprentices wage should you be interested in taking someone who already has substantial life experience and is genuinely wanting this as a new career.

I am a very hard and proactive worker. I never look at the clock and I’m more than prepared to do the hours required what ever they are if the work load is on and you have commitments to your clients and customers

Lastly, thank you for taking the time to read this letter and I hope that is a case of perfect timing. My wife and I will be back in the NZ where we will be moving to Waitara in Taranaki however I would be prepared to travel up to an hour and 20 minutes each way to work should and opportunity be on the table. After growing up in Auckland most of my life and living in London UK for the last 7 years driving an hour 20 is pretty typical so nothing to worry about.

My wife is due to give birth to my son around the end of December. Ideally I would prefer to get started early Jan 2008 however should you have anything sooner I will be available and back in the country from the 20th of November.

Thank you again for taking the time to read this and I look forward to hearing from you should you have any opportunities or advice as to how to get this new career decision moving.

Kind Regards.

Phil Jones
philthy.jones@hotmail.com

Swoop
24th October 2007, 08:58
Gudday mate!

Adult apprenticeships are quite common nowadays in NZ.

Your best bet is to find a "Modern Apprenticeship Coordinator" in the region where you are going to settle.
Their job is to act like a dating service between employers and prospective apprentices and to assist in placement with the employer. They also conduct ongoing monitoring of how it is all progressing.

I'm not sure how you would find the local MAC, but the local Polytech would be a good starting point.

All the best!

ManDownUnder
24th October 2007, 09:17
General Engineering stuff I'd contact Fitzroy Engineering - I don't know of any motorcycle specific stuff.

Contact the Taranaki Polytech and have them give you an overview of the apprenticeship system and options in NZ and Taranaki. There's probably some training you need to do before anyone opens doors to you anyway.

Good luck man.

Dazza
24th October 2007, 10:51
Wow, that's a good run down. If you do make it here, are you bringing your RSVR ?(what year ?), if so get in touch when your allowed out when the baby lands (good luck) & we can organise a ride with likeminded motorcyclist. Good luck with the job hunt !:2thumbsup

VF AAR
24th October 2007, 10:54
There's probably some training you need to do before anyone opens doors to you anyway.

Yeah thats what i was told.

I'm doing a 6month "pre-trade" course at uni which i've almost finished now
Cost $3500 I think
But it makes you an ideal candidate when applying for an apprenticeship.
Still havent covered anything on bikes yet and don't think we will
But it trains you on all the automotive engineering skills you need in a working environment and all basic knowlegde to carry out tasks
I've learnt some pretty interesting stuff...

That last unit i did was electrical, f**kin' hard exam.
But now that i know about it, its pis easy.

After this course i'm most likely to try my luck at a motorcycle workshop for an apprenticeship.

I'd love to work on bikes all day, *and get paid for it* i do it anyway on my vfr haha

sAsLEX
24th October 2007, 10:56
Wow, that's a good run down. If you do make it here, are you bringing your RSVR ?(what year ?), if so get in touch when your allowed out when the baby lands (good luck) & we can organise a ride with likeminded motorcyclist. Good luck with the job hunt !:2thumbsup

A new bloody RSVR is only 6000 pounds at the moment over here! Bloody summer riders do have their advantages to all weather riders!

Dazza
24th October 2007, 11:02
A new bloody RSVR is only 6000 pounds at the moment over here! Bloody summer riders do have their advantages to all weather riders!Jesussss that's $11500 NZD or just under today (euro's) you should buy one & send it back to me to look after for you :rolleyes:

sub_low
24th October 2007, 18:35
Gudday mate!

Adult apprenticeships are quite common nowadays in NZ.

Your best bet is to find a "Modern Apprenticeship Coordinator" in the region where you are going to settle.
Their job is to act like a dating service between employers and prospective apprentices and to assist in placement with the employer. They also conduct ongoing monitoring of how it is all progressing.

I'm not sure how you would find the local MAC, but the local Polytech would be a good starting point.

All the best!

sounds like a good idea. Its been a while since being home so im not really sure of what systems are now in place but thanks for the heads up, ill have a nosey into that once im back in a few weeks.

cheers mate !

sub_low
24th October 2007, 18:47

Yes must update that part, I filled info profile part out ages when I posted something about Berik and Arlin Ness leathers. The bike is long gone my friend thanks to saving for a son and the move back home. Im current using the lovely clean London underground for my commuting which is an absolute pleasure and great start to the day each day!!! .

Once im back im on the hunt for a bike but not really sure of prices and what I wanna spend yet as bikes in the UK are really expensive compared to home. Id like to go new bike but well see there’s not too much that excited me right now other than a DesmosediciRR but obviously im pissing in the wind if A I could ever afford one B if the option to even buy one came up and C if id be allowed to spend that much. Apparently "do what ever the fuck you want!" doesn’t actually mean what it sounds like!!

Ive been looking on trade me but there aint that much there and preferably id like to stay European again my choice but that’s a tall order at home it looks. Well see, I know a heap of riders at home still, mates form way back so will be well up for doing the Sunday thrash once in a while once I have this wee dilemma sorted.

Cheers matey!

sub_low
24th October 2007, 18:48
Yeah thats what i was told.

I'm doing a 6month "pre-trade" course at uni which i've almost finished now
Cost $3500 I think
But it makes you an ideal candidate when applying for an apprenticeship.
Still havent covered anything on bikes yet and don't think we will
But it trains you on all the automotive engineering skills you need in a working environment and all basic knowlegde to carry out tasks
I've learnt some pretty interesting stuff...

That last unit i did was electrical, f**kin' hard exam.
But now that i know about it, its pis easy.

After this course i'm most likely to try my luck at a motorcycle workshop for an apprenticeship.

I'd love to work on bikes all day, *and get paid for it* i do it anyway on my vfr haha

Good luck mate.

sub_low
24th October 2007, 19:07
A new bloody RSVR is only 6000 pounds at the moment over here! Bloody summer riders do have their advantages to all weather riders!

Where ya seening that price mate ? The lowest ive seen one new is £7199 RSV-R, or £8399 for an RSVR-Factory.

Heres a current deal which from what ive seen is about as low as they get, however im sure there are better deals around as you say, if ya look hard.

http://www.southerncrossmotorcycles.co.uk/newBike.asp?cat_id=1&page_id=2&bike_id=3

sub_low
24th October 2007, 19:20
forgot to say also, it WAS an 05. with

Tigcraft 60mm Slip-ons
Esjot 15 tooth Ft Sprocket
race box and K&N filter
Power commander
plus a few added spices which made her look all prissy !

Great bike wish i still had it now, infact wish i had a moped now ! just something.:weep: