PDA

View Full Version : Recomplying a deregistered bike

FROSTY
16th October 2007, 07:28
The question of How to get a deregistered bike back on the road is asked a LOT around here.
This thread is a work in progress but I'll take all the information supplied and once CONFIRMED bung it into this first post.
I do Know yiou need to get a brake test and for modern bikes, the frame checked. I also know that all lights must have stamps on the lens showing they meet an international standard

Comfirm with the Police that they are not "interested" in it.

Bonez
20th October 2007, 11:59

Warren
20th October 2007, 12:42

This is needed as they won't accept any change of ownership written on paper and signed by the old owner.

I don't know if they waive this requirement if you were the last recorded owner before the bike was de-reged.

98tls
20th October 2007, 12:53
On the lights thing,its a bit of a grey area as when i took the oem rear end stuff off the TL and replaced it with a xtreme graphic undertray with leds i went down to the local Suzuki shop to get a warrant the guy was adamant he couldnt give me a wof because the leds didnt have any of said numbers on them,i went elsewere and a few months later got a phone call from mr Suzuki shop saying sorry,they had had some guy in the shop who works for whatever government dept that makes the rules and had mentioned about the tailight issue and basically that there was no issue,gave me my next warrant no problem.

GSVR
20th October 2007, 15:49
On the lights thing,its a bit of a grey area as when i took the oem rear end stuff off the TL and replaced it with a xtreme graphic undertray with leds i went down to the local Suzuki shop to get a warrant the guy was adamant he couldnt give me a wof because the leds didnt have any of said numbers on them,i went elsewere and a few months later got a phone call from mr Suzuki shop saying sorry,they had had some guy in the shop who works for whatever government dept that makes the rules and had mentioned about the tailight issue and basically that there was no issue,gave me my next warrant no problem.

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/rules/vehicle-lighting-2004.html#83

Bit of a funny one this as I have noticed WOF checkers looking for numbers on lenses. I think if you read the legislation it has wording like the light (for indicators must be mainly white or amber for the front and visible from so many metres in daylight as well as angles of visiblity etc etc etc.

As for the revinning of bikes its just the whole political PC thing with some wankers making heaps of money forcing good honest working people to jump through hoops and pay large sums of money to someone that basically only has to sign a piece of paper stating the obvious (in alot of cases).
How do I know this? I've been and done it. Thing that pisses me off the the most is the LSTA agents down this way have nothing to do with bikes and are car restorers or panel beaters and ask you to get the bike shop to do all the work then want around $280 bucks and pretend to work for it. Fuck they are better paid than doctors or lawers.

Funny thing is if you have a bike with a live plate you can cartwheel it down the road or racetrack as many times as you like bend anything then get a WOF and sell it one to some poor bastard that is none the wiser. But buy an insurance wreck that is written off because of a scratch on the tank and plastics and becuase of this the brakes have suddenly become fucked and the frame is bent until some scammer says otherwise.

Grumpy Gnomb
20th October 2007, 16:16
was looking at trade me for wrecks and came saw something on this subject on the Star Insurance web site so may be worth your while having a look there

Ixion
20th October 2007, 17:53
1991 is the magic year for reregistering. If first registered in NZ prior to 1991, and you can prove it , and supply the old rego details, and it was last registered after 1986, the process is MUCh easier.

Prior to 1991 you do not need brake certificate, there is no invasive inspection and lights and such like to do have to comply with design standards (those numbers and letters on the lenses)

There is much confusion amongst WOF checkers about the lights . Because the critical dates are different for cars and bikes. Cars must have the numbers if registered after 1991. Bikes do not need them until 2006.

EDIT: From this (http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/certifiers/virm-entry/3-1-required-docs-and-registration.pdf)very helpful site

If a vehicle has previously been registered in New Zealand, evidence of this (eg, a certifi cate of registration
or a LANDATA record) must be provided. The person presenting the vehicle for re-registration must be the
same as the person shown on the evidence of previous registration, or must be able to provide a clear
ownership trail linking themselves to the vehicle. If this is not available, a statement from the New Zealand
Police declaring that the vehicle is not a vehicle of interest must be provided (see Reference material 35).
This form may be photocopied and returned to vehicle owners if required.

and

2. Re-registration of pre-1991 vehicles
If a light vehicle was manufactured before 1991 and fi rst registered in New Zealand before 1 January
1991, the vehicle does not need to undergo the same inspection and certifi cation process as a vehicle
being registered for the fi rst time in New Zealand. Provided the vehicle meets applicable requirements
for structural condition as detailed in ‘Vehicle structure – Threshold for requiring repair certifi cation’ in this
manual, and has not been de-registered as a result of a write-off for insurance purposes, the vehicle may
be inspected according to current in-service procedures.
3. Re-registration of post-1991 vehicles
If a vehicle was manufactured after 1 January 1991 and previously registered in New Zealand, or
manufactured before 1 January 1991 but not registered in New Zealand until after this date, the vehicle
must undergo a full structural inspection with trim removal and an invasive brake inspection as part of the
inspection and certifi cation process.

Note that the "easy path" is only available for vehicles that have previously been registered in NZ (and you can provide the previous rego details) , before 1991. And if they have not been registered since 1986 you will have difficulty becuase that is when the old paper records were put on computer. And it is NOT available if the vehicle is an insurance write off.

HungusMaximist
20th October 2007, 19:26
Hey Frosty, just a quick pardon from me for hijacking this thread but seeing I have the same issue I hope it's all cool bananas. :cool:

I am looking at a bike at the moment which I am keen but it has no wof/rego.

I too have to ask the question about registering the bike and going through recompliance. I never have experienced this before so I guess I am gonna ask you guys how to get it done.

What I think I am gonna do is get the bike independently assessed and at the same time if they can go through the check list for compliance dso I can know what I am in for ($ money wise). Because I rather know it now than get hit by a suprise or end up with a lemon... you guys get the drift aye..

Since I have never looked into getting a bike that has no rego/wof I need your expertise...

Where do you suggest I take the bike to be checked over while they are sweet and nice enough to go through the compliance check list with me.

Perferably in Auckland Central/City because most likely I will end up with the job of taking the sellers bike to the garage and don't wanna get too lucky... if you know what i mean...

but If they're good like you mention I am happy to travel. :banana:

Maffoo
22nd October 2007, 20:30
im doing this very soon with a 1983 CB250
im pleased to hear it is much easier for a pre-1991 bike :D

i was also pleasantly surprised to hear that the neutral light donest have to work

HungusMaximist
23rd October 2007, 09:05
Surely somebody knows on KB?

*bump*

VF AAR
24th October 2007, 15:56
is there any way to get bike details from chassis numbers?
as my bike is dereg/no wof and i didnt get the number plate with it, and they guy who had it before me didn't have them nor the guy before him apparently.

its an 88 but that doesn't mean it was registered in nz before 1991 because its a jap import?

Is that right>?

westie
24th October 2007, 17:43
Any bike de registered by insurance or crash will need a repair certificate. The repair cert process has just recently been changed.
If it is just lapsed then no repair cert would be needed.

I had half worn tyres and they made me change them for new ones. Gay! cos they were pilots and I had to get pirellis.

They're pretty picky on the insurance write off ones, even if they just got a scratch !

FROSTY
25th October 2007, 23:33
Surely somebody knows on KB?

*bump*.
Give Alex a yell--4168932 Thats what he does for a living

richard l
28th October 2007, 13:31
hi guys, there's a guy in hamilton that did my GPZ, because it was de-registered after an accident. He is a bike guy, and knows his stuff, and checks the bike over wickedly (not like some of the car guys i've heard about who get bike shops to check it and then they just sign the form and take your money!) he has lasers and all the specs etc there. only takes a day or so. will find his number and get back on here with it.

gil
9th November 2007, 12:54
Hi, I have just been informed of this thread by a customer of mine. My name is Gil, and i do repair certificates for motorcycles only, that is, I dont do cars! Motorcycles only. The Inspection is done by myself, not farmed out to a bike shop (unlike some of the vehicle certifiers). I am the prefered certifier for Star Insurance, Turners Auctions, and the bike shops (and their staff) in the area to name but a few.
Any questions please feel free to PM me, or contact me on 021 725717.
After reading the responces above, alot of you seem to have a good understanding of the issues surrounding the process, however some of you sound like you've had bad experiences with others in the past, I hope I can help to ensure this wont happen again.
The process is relatively simple, it is important, and there for a reason. It's not expensive, and once completed makes you feel good about the safety of those that ride that bike.
I also do the Brake Declorations for those requiring it, so both can be done in one visit.
I hope this message finds it's way to those that need it!

Hope to see you on the road.(if the RSV starts!)

cheers
Gil

rok-the-boat
27th February 2008, 17:34
This is the reply I got from LTNZ. I didn't need a brake inspection, though I did get one in the end.
---------------------------------
Good afternoon Rupert

Thank you for your email dated 21 February 2008.

After consultation with the appropriate department they advise the following:

Within the Entry Certification - Vehicle Inspection Requirements Manual (VIRM) the specific reference is under 8-2-1, important note exceptions (a) Vehicles presented for re-registration that were manufactured before 1991 and previously registered in NZ before 1 January 1991.

As we are unaware of the date your vehicle was first registered in New Zealand this specific clause may describe your circumstances. For your vehicle to fall into this clause it is required to be first registered in New Zealand before 1991.

If it does apply to you, you are not required to obtain a brake inspection for your motorcycle as per 8-4-2 alternative method for motorcycle brake inspections.

If you require further clarification please contact your local Land Transport New Zealand Transport Service Delivery (TSD) agent/certifier.

Land Transport New Zealand TSD agents are:

Vehicle Testing New Zealand (VTNZ)
Vehicle Inspection New Zealand (VINZ)
On Road New Zealand
Automobile Association Technical (AA)
Kind Regards

Contact Response Team

Wired1
14th March 2008, 20:14
I was in getting my Pajero Woffed the other day so while I was there I asked the guy about the lighting requirements for a bike, in particular I wanted to know whether I could use a polisport-type aftermarket enduro headlight, and wether or not I needed to add indicators. Upon consulting his LTSA bible he said the headlight had to have high and low beam but any would do, and as for indicators he found a table that listed exempt bikes and surprisingly my TT500 wasn't on it. When I got home I looked it up on the LTSA website and found the section on indicators and discovered that my TT250's are exempt, but not my TT500. It went on to list a TT550 as being exempt which I had never heard of.

So I wrote them an email pointing out that my TT250's were exempt and that my TT500 wasn't mentioned and that I had never heard of a TT550. I went on tos tell them that Yamaha only made the XT550 for about a year and a half and then relaunched it as a XT600 or TT600 (or an XT400) but never made a TT550 so where does my TT500 fit?

Surprisingly, two days later they emailed me the following:

"Good afternoon Simon
Thank you for your email dated 11 March 2008.
After consultation with the appropriate department, they advise the following:
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Please find attached a scan of the gazette exempting the TT500 from needing direction indicators. You will be able to present his vehicle for Warrent of Fitness (WoF) inspection.
Kind Regards
Contact Response Team "

Well bugger me.
I guess I'll have to convince the WOF guys but it's a small victory for common sense.

El Dopa
25th March 2008, 20:34
If you have a de-registered bike that you want to get re-registered/woffed etc, you need to get a frame x-ray. Can someone confirm that is correct?

And presumably, this would involve stripping the bike down to the frame - you couldn't do it with the engine/forks/plastics in place. Is that correct?

gil
25th March 2008, 22:17
hi, no you do not have to 'xray the frame'.
Depending on why it was de-registered, there are checks that need to be made to the chassis, and associated steering and suspension components, but these checks are carried out without great expense. (unless there are major issues with the chassis, ie breaks on welds etc).

Should you wish to know more, feel free to PM me, or phone me on 021 725717.
:2thumbsup
Gil
LTNZ Appointed Repair Certifier.

El Dopa
26th March 2008, 19:32
hi, no you do not have to 'xray the frame'.
Depending on why it was de-registered, there are checks that need to be made to the chassis, and associated steering and suspension components, but these checks are carried out without great expense. (unless there are major issues with the chassis, ie breaks on welds etc).

Should you wish to know more, feel free to PM me, or phone me on 021 725717.
:2thumbsup
Gil
LTNZ Appointed Repair Certifier.

Well, thank you very much - I may give you a call soon depending on how things work out.

The bike I'm looking at crashed - this is why it was written off (by the insurer).

The seller has already indicated it will probably need new forks. I am presuming the steering head would also need checking?

Thanks again.

Wired1
26th March 2008, 19:47
There are crashes and there are crashes and it doesn't take much of a crash to make repairs no longer viable, especially if there is a lot of body damage, so the bike could still be in good structural shape but have sustained damage rendering it too expensive to repair. All that aside, I think common sense would suggest you should get the frame checked for straightness and weld integrity.

Squiggles
23rd April 2008, 17:02
This is probably the single most useful guide to the process that i have found on the net

Now, as my DR was manufactured in Feb 1985, its either not in the system, or it was never registered (I have police checked it, they couldnt find the vin in the system)

If never registered, i need the brake cert done.... Now to find a doc with all that info on it

T bone
23rd April 2008, 18:49
I'm going through all this with my bike at the moment. Has been a bit of a learning experiance, but what I expected with ltsa. Hopefully I get it back tomorrow then off for compliance.....fingers crossed

cloudsurfer
9th June 2009, 00:06
Hi, I'm thinking of buying a mid 70's motorcycle which needs to have recompliance. I don't think it's been on the road for a few years, if at all in New Zealand. It is standard but needs some tlc but I don't want to end up being unable to get it legalised for the road. If there is no paperwork for the bike, should I avoid it like the plague or carry on regardless?
"There are no such things as problems, only solutions" John Lennon
Cheers

p.dath
9th June 2009, 00:19
I was in getting my Pajero Woffed the other day so while I was there I asked the guy about the lighting requirements for a bike, in particular I wanted to know whether I could use a polisport-type aftermarket enduro headlight, and wether or not I needed to add indicators. Upon consulting his LTSA bible he said the headlight had to have high and low beam but any would do, and as for indicators he found a table that listed exempt bikes and surprisingly my TT500 wasn't on it. When I got home I looked it up on the LTSA website and found the section on indicators and discovered that my TT250's are exempt, but not my TT500. It went on to list a TT550 as being exempt which I had never heard of.

So I wrote them an email pointing out that my TT250's were exempt and that my TT500 wasn't mentioned and that I had never heard of a TT550. I went on tos tell them that Yamaha only made the XT550 for about a year and a half and then relaunched it as a XT600 or TT600 (or an XT400) but never made a TT550 so where does my TT500 fit?

Surprisingly, two days later they emailed me the following:

"Good afternoon Simon
Thank you for your email dated 11 March 2008.
After consultation with the appropriate department, they advise the following:
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Please find attached a scan of the gazette exempting the TT500 from needing direction indicators. You will be able to present his vehicle for Warrent of Fitness (WoF) inspection.
Kind Regards
Contact Response Team "

Well bugger me.
I guess I'll have to convince the WOF guys but it's a small victory for common sense.

That's from 1977!

trevsnz
13th June 2009, 15:30
does any one know what is meant by 'the vehicle may
be inspected according to current in-service procedures.'

what is Current in-service Procedures?

I have a 1980 Yamaha sr250 that was rego here in NZ from 1980 to 1997 then put on hold till Dec 2003. So basicly its now de-rego. It still have the plates plus a print out (same thing use to print the registratiion sticker) of the vehicle details and owners Name and Address. All I need now is the police report but now just need to know what its meant by Current in service Procedures

Voltaire
13th June 2009, 15:38
If you have a de-registered bike that you want to get re-registered/woffed etc, you need to get a frame x-ray. Can someone confirm that is correct?

And presumably, this would involve stripping the bike down to the frame - you couldn't do it with the engine/forks/plastics in place. Is that correct?

I took a BMW frame into F1 in hamilton to check alignment and straighten if reqd and their machine has 1500 bikes in its program and does a print out.
Print out??? I asked, for re-vinning bikes that have been de registered by insurance companies for crash damage.
so on the face of it looks like de reg crashed bikes can go back on road.
Could be of interest.
Base cost is around $200.00 for the machine and hourly rate after that.
Obviously depends on type of bike.

Max Preload
13th June 2009, 15:50

Warrant of Fitness based on the VIRM (http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/certifiers/virm-in-service/) (vehicle inspection requirements manual).

Ixion
13th June 2009, 15:51
does any one know what is meant by 'the vehicle may
be inspected according to current in-service procedures.'

I have a 1980 Yamaha sr250 that was rego here in NZ from 1980 to 1997 then put on hold till Dec 2003. So basicly its now de-rego. It still have the plates plus a print out (same thing use to print the registratiion sticker) of the vehicle details and owners Name and Address. All I need now is the police report but now just need to know what its meant by Current in service Procedures

"current in service procedures" means, like a WoF. Your vehicle is pre 1991. So the VIN inspection is basically just a (fairly strict) warrant of fitness inspection. Post 1991, it's tougher and they will partially dismantle the vehicle. You also have to provide a lot more evidence that everything complies with various standards. Pre 1991 is much simpler. You don't need a police report if you are either the last registered owner or have a paper trail (eg receipts) from him. Also you don't need a brake certifcation, bear that in mind because some palces tell you you need one regardless of year.

MrZxp
17th June 2009, 20:57
If there is no paperwork for the bike, should I avoid it like the plague or carry on regardless?

I would suggest you contact your local police station and uplift the form you need to fill in detailing the bike and it's frame and engine numbers. When i had to do mine they (the police) requested that I deliver the machine to them so they could verify the frame and engine numbers I had written on the form... fortunately the bike was 99 percent complete at the time and so this was not a problem... when I think about it now, all that time and money I'd put into the bike could have been for naught if it had been deemed to have been stolen at some stage - I would have had to surrender it there and then, and been majorally out of pocket. :gob:

Get the cops to check it out BEFORE you spend any money on it.

Only when you get the all clear from them would I continue...:yes:

Del Fuego
18th June 2009, 15:34
Ok, without sifting through the giant pdf... the jawa, 1965 has no paperwork, no plate and is essentially a ground up build... probably has a chassis number of some sort (havn't had a look)

What's the story, obviously would be hard to get any info from the police etc. any ideas? just talk to the LTSA?

Squiggles
18th June 2009, 18:20
Ok, without sifting through the giant pdf... the jawa, 1965 has no paperwork, no plate and is essentially a ground up build... probably has a chassis number of some sort (havn't had a look)

What's the story, obviously would be hard to get any info from the police etc. any ideas? just talk to the LTSA?

Want us to ring them for you? <_<

Search the pdf, and if thats no use talk to LTSA/LTNZ/NZTA. Might be classed as vintage given the age