PDA

View Full Version : Earthquakes!

oldrider
16th October 2007, 09:37
Just sitting here looking at KB and we got a nice wee earthquake to think about!

Damn they scary bloody things, you never know just how bad they may get!

I am at my son's house and it sits on the edge of a chasm. (at the moment)

Hope it stays this way, we had two good shakes last night too. :banana: John.

007XX
16th October 2007, 09:40
So ye ol' buggers can still rock your own world, eh? ;) :laugh:

Good on you mate!:clap:

Goblin
16th October 2007, 09:46
Oh you just reminded me...Im sure I got woken up at 2am by an earthquake. Must go have a squiz at GeoNet.

Edit: Wow! Was a decent shake.
# NZDT: Tue, Oct 16 2007 10:28 am
# Magnitude: 6.2
# Depth: 5 km
# Details: 50 km west of Milford Sound

rossi
16th October 2007, 10:09
felt the one last night and this morning wow maybe we gonna get a big one.
must be due a desaster sometime

MotoGirl
16th October 2007, 12:56
I looked at the geonet website the other day to see how many of the last 30 earthquakes have been in the BOP - half of them. I work in a multi-storey building right next to train tracks. It makes me nervous everytime the build rumbles with a train going past!

Mikkel
16th October 2007, 13:00
Well, according to some of my friends who are in geology/civil engineering we're long over due for a big shift along the main divide faultline. They expect the entire westcoast to shift 6 meters laterally in relation to the rest of the south island when it goes... should be big! :)

Toaster
16th October 2007, 13:15
I reckon move the south island close enough to join to Wellingtons west coast, then move the whole damn thing north so we can enjoy tropical weather... say just south of Fiji.

Street Gerbil
16th October 2007, 14:17
I happened to be born in the middle of a continental platform. Having a lifelong phobia of any kinds of tectonic activity (especially the kinds involving collapsing buildings and molten lava), I keep questioning my sanity after settling not just in NZ but no less than right next to a volcano.

Ewan Oozarmy
16th October 2007, 14:28
When I arrived here back in November I wondered what those ads on TV telling us to prepare for emergencies/disasters where all about.

Having left London I thought that they can't be talking about terrorist attack as NZ is pretty neutral and doesn't seem to offend any other countries.

Well, now I know. I'm now living on a fairly substantial fault line and can see a volcano from my bedroom.

F*CK!!!

Xaria
16th October 2007, 14:40
It is all happening in Milford, 9 earthquakes between 1.29am and 1.26pm today. Ranging from 4.1 to 6.7 in magnitude. The only ones I really felt were the first two, haven't noticed any others. However now I am back home in a second story 120 year old building I may start to feel them again.

The website to check is geonet (http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/quakes/recent_quakes.html)
and it has the most recent 30 quakes in NZ

JimO
16th October 2007, 14:43
Just sitting here looking at KB and we got a nice wee earthquake to think about!

i was 5 meters up a light tower on a scaffold on the edge of a wharf when the one this morning hit.....that was fun

Maha
16th October 2007, 15:42
I reckon move the south island close enough to join to Wellingtons west coast, then move the whole damn thing north so we can enjoy tropical weather... say just south of Fiji.

Then some bastard will want to bridge the gap..could have its down sides!....:confused:

JimO
16th October 2007, 16:48
Then some bastard will want to bridge the gap..could have its down sides!....:confused:

then all you north island cunts would get onto our empty roads

LilSel
16th October 2007, 16:53
Oh you just reminded me...Im sure I got woken up at 2am by an earthquake. Must go have a squiz at GeoNet.

Edit: Wow! Was a decent shake.
# NZDT: Tue, Oct 16 2007 10:28 am
# Magnitude: 6.2
# Depth: 5 km
# Details: 50 km west of Milford Sound

OOOooOOoOOOoooOOooo.....

I've never felt an earthquake before... off to the south island on nov 4th tho... so maybe then??? going for a week... to Queenstown/Otago/Invercargill etc... I want to go to the end of the south island too... :D... *cant wait*...

First for everything aye... 1st trip to the south island... maybe 1st shake too!!... are they common in that area?

klingon
16th October 2007, 16:55

Sorry John, it was just me after I fitted the new 'zorst on the Volty. Will warn you next time :bleh:

Big Dan
16th October 2007, 17:34
I sense a poll coming

Are you prepared for the big one or any major natural disater

1.Yes
2.No

ynot slow
16th October 2007, 17:44
Can remember driving to Gisbourne for NZstockcar champs in 1990,came down some huge bloody hills towing the car without trailer brakes in the guys pontiac with drum brakes allround,got to a couple of huge viaducts,massive building achievements back in the early 1930's.Mum said her dad was working on them when the Napier quake hit,they had to hold on for grim death,if you see the height of these,damn scare ya shitless.

Several years ago after soccer practice a large quake hit,think it was the one in which the rail lines in Edgecombe buckled and silos fell over,we were having a shower and although the floor was concrete,it felt like you were at sea the floor was wavering so much.

Drum
16th October 2007, 18:11
I don't know what you're worrying about.
The chances of you being injured, yet alone killed, by an earthquake are infinitesimal compared to the risk you take each time you get on your bike.

oldrider
16th October 2007, 20:40
I don't know what you're worrying about.
The chances of you being injured, yet alone killed, by an earthquake are infinitesimal compared to the risk you take each time you get on your bike.

Statistics might suggest that but you have an element of control on a bike.

Haven't ever felt any degree of control in an earthquake! :gob: John.

klingon
16th October 2007, 22:19
Statistics might suggest that but you have an element of control on a bike.

Haven't ever felt any degree of control in an earthquake! :gob: John.

Yeah, received wisdom says you should get under a doorway or something... have you ever tried to navigate your way to a safe spot during a major quake? Nothing you can do except hold on tight and hope for the best!

(I think I'll wear my helmet and armoured gear around the house from now on... just in case...)

ynot slow
17th October 2007, 19:32
Reason for fear in an earthquake is-unlike other weather you can't see,hear or tell when it will stop.Unlike rain,wind,hail,-can get out of it by shelter.Thunder and lightening-as a kid hide under blankets,but shakes you just don't know how long they last.

TonyB
17th October 2007, 19:46
Yeah, received wisdom says you should get under a doorway or something... have you ever tried to navigate your way to a safe spot during a major quake? Nothing you can do except hold on tight and hope for the best! Yeah that always cracks me up "get under a desk" they say...have you ever seen the footage taken inside offices/shops during the Kobe earthquake? The fricken desk will be bouncing around, possibly smashing from one side of the room to the other, its more likely to kill you than save you. I'm sure I read somewhere an eyewitness account of the Napier quake where they described seeing the ground rolling in waves.

As for there being just one quake, earlier this year I read an account of the Wellington 'quake'- the one that created the basin reserve etc. The guy described violent earthquakes, pretty much every day over a period of months