PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha XS-V1 Yeehah!

idleidolidyll
17th October 2007, 05:53
Cool, a new retro from Yamaha.

Based on the old XS bikes from the 70's and 80's but with modern running gear and a nice looking 1000cc Vee twin.

http://www.motorcyclists-online.com/motorcycle-tests-reviews/newsmo.php?art=747&utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=idle&&xuu=idle&xpu=c2FUWmV2cW90

dwnundabkr
17th October 2007, 21:15
cool as a previous xs and xv owner look good, seams it the time for the retro look

Waylander
17th October 2007, 21:17
Uh, if it's a Vtwin, why does the front cylinder have two headers?

dwnundabkr
17th October 2007, 21:22

looks like it must be photo angle or does the rear header come to the front also cannot see the rear header from that shot

Waylander
17th October 2007, 21:26

looks like it must be photo angle or does the rear header come to the front also cannot see the rear header from that shot
Rear header could be hidden inside the side panel/final drive area. Going straight down from the cylinder then turning to the side at the bottom of the bike to meet up with the front one. The XV series did that.

Even length would be an issue if it came to the front. Tuning it would be a bitch.

idleidolidyll
18th October 2007, 06:27

If you look at most single cylinder four strokes you'll see that almost all have twin exhaust headers. This is to create a higher gas flow and is not specifically an indication that there is an extra cylinder hiding somewhere.

Many Vee Twins also have twin headers for each cyliner; one serving each exhaust valve.

Grantasaurus
18th October 2007, 14:17
It looks like they've routed the rear cylinder header to match the front one, that's definitely not coming from the front cylinder.

Who knows why they've done it though? Symmetry?

Maybe it's just a space issue, there doesn't look to be a lot of room behind the rear cylinder with the way they've packaged the motor.

Still a very nice looking bike :D

Sully60
18th October 2007, 21:00
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/16october07_xsv1sakura.htm

Just seen this and I want one!
Something that could be one of those bikes you keep for a long time,
yes I know....

Not me, nothing lasts a long time for me.

And arent those discs just funky!

*Kando is a Japanese word for the simultaneous feeling of deep satisfaction and intense excitement that people experience when they encounter something of exceptional value.

nudemetalz
18th October 2007, 21:13
Nice looking machine for sure !!

Skunk
18th October 2007, 21:58
Nice clean lines.

(Love the discs... think I'll get some for the bucket.)

98tls
18th October 2007, 22:11
Lets hope its better than the original "Its our newest and most exciting machine-the 4 stroke 650.Thats right,our new four cycle model.Think of it,a simple single over head cam engine with a five speed transmisson.Think of the versatility(a gear for every use,for every speed).Think of the performance its a combination that cant be beat":beer:

Renegade
18th October 2007, 22:16
very cool and love the retro feel, are they here or coming to NZ?

HenryDorsetCase
19th October 2007, 11:06
I really like it. They kind of do a 250 cc version already SRV250 Renaissance though it might not be current. The ones Ive seen are JDM imports here.

SPman
19th October 2007, 13:30
So - is it a jazzed up version of the old XV1000? Or an entirely new bike - sort of like the old XV1000?

Bonez
20th October 2007, 14:07
Looks tacky. Gimme an old school parrallel twin Yamaha!

xwhatsit
20th October 2007, 14:30
I think it looks great, especially the colour scheme. There's a couple of crappy plastic bits (see the sidecovers for an example), but Yamaha seem to do that in many of their bikes. Seat, rear guard, and headlight looks awesome; silencer needs to be replaced with a long skinny megaphone instead of that fat sausage thing.

Twin shocks are twice as beautiful as a monoshock, I always say :)

idleidolidyll
26th October 2007, 12:00
Here's a better idea of what it's like: a 360 degree video clip from the Paris Show

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/motorshow2007/sp/index.html

dwnundabkr
26th October 2007, 18:09
cool very retro i would be in my old xv1000 was a bloody good bike.

Pinstripe
26th October 2007, 19:29
Groovy bike, would make a great cafe racer i reckon, want one. cool headlight too :yes:

Bren
4th November 2007, 22:37
Yes, another "retro" looking bike is hitting the motorshows. Its a Yamaha loosely based on the early XS models of 1970 onwards. The strange thing is that the old XS models started out as a parallel twin yet this new one is a V-twin. Yet aside from that tiny detail it looks good, and looks retro enough yet with just enough serious sporty attitude to be (in my opinion) a good contender for the "I Want It" list...Anyway here is what has been said about it....would love to see it go into full production.

Yamaha released this image of the XS-V1 Sakura, which it is calling a prototype (rather than a pure concept). This model will be one of 19 exhibition models presented by Yamaha at the 40th Tokyo Motor show beginning on October 27. The XS-V1 Sakura draws inspiration from the first four-stroke model produced by Yamaha, the XS-1 in 1970.

What the Yamaha reps said:

We display the “XS-V1 Sakura” (special exhibition model / prototype) as a symbol of our long-nurtured corporate philosophy. This is a V-twin sport model with a look of “Japanese style” in the image of Yamaha’s first 4-stroke model, the XS-1 (650cc), released in 1970. Its design is full of XS-1 DNA, in its simplicity and functional beauty and finds new refinement in a retro-modern aesthetic. It is a model that proposes a very Yamaha and very Japanese vision of premium motorcycling life, bringing together the unique characteristics of a 1,000cc air-cooled, V-twin model with its strong pulse feeling and easy-going running performance in a finely crafted body that is lightweight and slim and defined by a low seat height.

And finally some pictures....first of the old school XS-1, and then the retro flavored copy...

Conquiztador
4th November 2007, 22:48
Yes to:
Motor (Nice!)
Wheels (Yep, spoked ones any day!)
Tank (Slim enuf. Could use one of them for a project I have in mind...)

No to:
Mufflers (Need megaphones! These phuckers must weigh a ton!!)
Headlight (Jeesus!! A phuckin flying saucer!)
Side covers (Totally out of place!)
Handlebars (Ahh, come on! Bull horns anyone?)

98tls
4th November 2007, 22:54
Bit like comparing Raquel Welch to trailer trash:doh:i mean Britney Spears,Give me the old one thanks.

Bren
5th November 2007, 05:35
funny...i did do a search too...

NighthawkNZ
5th November 2007, 06:28
Ok that nice... I use to have a XS before I upgrade (or downgraded depends on your point of veiw) to the XJ 650 Special

Fryin Finn
5th November 2007, 06:40
I rode a TX650 and an XS1 in my yoof - heres a pic of me on the XS1 with 6 bend bars and my left arm in plaster - perficly comforble.

Bren
5th November 2007, 15:28
Ok that nice... I use to have a XS before I upgrade (or downgraded depends on your point of veiw) to the XJ 650 Special

Definitely a downgrade...The XS range are classics...

avgas
14th January 2008, 01:56
Him interesting. But i suggest the press has it wrong.
All XS models were inline. 2,3,4
XV was V.
I know its complicated. But if they made a XS single - it too would be inline.
Ol' man has most of the population of XS750/850 sittn in the shed. Really need to get atleast one of those triples back on the road for him. He hates the 650 with vengence - his words "They were a dog then and a dog now, lots of problems - rather own another bonny" He liked the 11, but not his piece of cake. He liked the 850 as it had good mags, that didnt self destruct!

Pixie
18th January 2008, 14:00

Optical delusion

Pixie
18th January 2008, 14:05
Bit like comparing Raquel Welch to trailer trash:doh:i mean Britney Spears,Give me the old one thanks.

Old can be good.
I bet Raquel no longer has her own teeth....

Bren
18th January 2008, 15:47
I rode a TX650 and an XS1 in my yoof - heres a pic of me on the XS1 with 6 bend bars and my left arm in plaster - perficly comforble.

Funny this thread should pop up again....and the mention of a TX...as there a '74 one on TM at the moment...only $800 too...bugger..I almost considered it too

TX 750 on Trademe (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-136712891.htm?key=580762)