PDA

View Full Version : just a couple of dumb questions, sorry newbie

Voodoo
17th October 2004, 16:50
hi ,ive recently brought my first bike (1990 YZ125) anyway i dont know bugger all about them really so sorry if questions seem dumb :o

and feel free to move this to the right section?

anyway its got abit of a oli leak coming from a seal ,so im going drain the oil and take of the cover and reseal it, anyway ive noticed what i think is the oil drain, but not to sure about refilling it, ive spotted a cap just about the kickstart , is that where its refilled? also how much oil would it hold?

Cheers

Blakamin
17th October 2004, 16:55
ive spotted a cap just about the kickstart , is that where its refilled? also how much oil would it hold?

Cheers
first thing.... WELCOME to the best place to learn abut bikes!!!!

more than likely that cap is the one... do you have a digital camera? the amount of oil is, on some bikes, stamped into the casing .... if not, do a google saying "1990 YZ125 specs".
should return something... would do it for you but the GP is on :msn-wink:

Posh Tourer :P
17th October 2004, 18:32
A couple of questions in reply - how much is "a bit" of a leak? sometimes its just not worth worrying about.

Also, is the cap attached to a dipstick? That oughta make it easy.

Motu
17th October 2004, 19:54
It's a 2 stroke,therefore the oil is only for the gearbox...and about the only place they leak is gear shaft,kick starter shaft and final drive seal - unless it's got a damaged case.The capacity is sometimes written on the crankcase,like maybe 600cc...that's not the engine capacity sorry,but how much oil it takes.Just put some ATF (auto trans fluid) in for now,it's a good gearbox oil,as good or better than a fancy name oil,and available at the local gas station.

soundbeltfarm
17th October 2004, 20:02
that will be the oil cap.
no dipstick on my dirt bike.
just when im riding it there is..... :bleh:

Voodoo
17th October 2004, 20:33
cheers for the info guys, should have it sus'ed now as for size of leak, well it aint flowing out, just enough to make a small puddle in two weeks

racer96
18th October 2004, 11:32
hey bro, great to hear that someone esle has YZ125. Yeah i would witht the others that the cap is the oil intake and for how much to put in. Just fill near top then go to the drain plug and release a cupful worth. that should be a fair amount to hav in a time.

Katman
24th February 2005, 22:01
Thought I'd resurrect this thread to mention that it is actually just as important to not overfill the transmission oil as it is to not underfill it. Too much oil makes it harder for the gears to spin thereby robbing a bit of power from the engine. As has been mentioned the capacity is usually cast or stamped on the clutch cover. Stick to the recommended amount.

Henk
1st March 2005, 21:20
You'll probably find that one of the bolts holding the sidecovers on the engine has a copper or fiber washer bhind it. It's an oil level screw. If you take that out and fill it until oil starts coming out the bolt hole with thje bike upright you have the right level. They usualy have the level stamped on the cases by the filler cap though.