PDA

View Full Version : Suspension set up with pillion.

manwithav8
17th October 2007, 19:56
Is there a rule you should follow when planning to carry a pillion? Ie a full turn of preload and 2 clicks of compression/dampening???

Once I have the sag set for myself, what should I do when taking the mrs on the back?

Could I maybe set the sag for me, mark the adjustment on the shock, then reset the same amount of sag for the both of us and mark the shock. This way there it will be a quick adjustment???

"waits for the suspension guru"

Robert Taylor
17th October 2007, 21:14
Is there a rule you should follow when planning to carry a pillion? Ie a full turn of preload and 2 clicks of compression/dampening???

Once I have the sag set for myself, what should I do when taking the mrs on the back?

Could I maybe set the sag for me, mark the adjustment on the shock, then reset the same amount of sag for the both of us and mark the shock. This way there it will be a quick adjustment???

"waits for the suspension guru"

Yes, you do need primarily more spring preload so that you can restore the same dynamic ride height ( and therefore loaded geometry ) that works best for you solo. To that effect some reference points as you elude to is a good idea. As for increasing compression damping by going inwards on the clicker, not neccessarily so, you have to try it back to back on your most familiar road.

If you increase the spring preload for any reason when still riding solo you would generally also make an inwards compensation with the rebound damping as there will be more spring pressure to make it return faster. BUT, this can be counter intuitive when carrying a passenger. The very weight of the passenger applies extra downward pressure to make the rear end rebound more slowly, especially as the seating position of a passenger places more leverage on the rear end. So generally you will not also wind in extra rebound damping, and there may even be a need to reduce it a little.

Hope this makes sense!

manwithav8
18th October 2007, 19:14
set the sag for myself, then set the sag for us both but test and adjust for the dampening/compression as a change may not be rquired?

Robert Taylor
18th October 2007, 20:43
set the sag for myself, then set the sag for us both but test and adjust for the dampening/compression as a change may not be rquired?

That is correct. Many people will ride with a pillion without making any adjustments to spring preload. The bike most often ends up low and harsh in the rear, rakes out and takes load off the front. Dangerous.

manwithav8
19th October 2007, 12:48
I always thought there should be an adjustment made of some sort, just not to sure to what extent...

Excellent, thanks again Robert

dogsnbikes
19th October 2007, 12:59
interesting......... I have to do the same when I get home so this has made things clear to understand

vifferman
19th October 2007, 13:01
I think it's something you have to "suck and see". On our 5-day tour of "Oop Norf" last year, I had to stop a couple of times to make adjustments, firstly after the first section with all our luggage, and secondly when we dropped all the luggage at the motel and went up to Cape Reinga, and I found the suspension a little harsh, so backed off the preload one notch and the rebound damping by (IIRC) an eighth of a turn. Even on a 'budget' suspension like the VFR has (at the moment), the adjustments made a very noticeable improvement.

It's a bit annoying having to stop and turf the pillion off, make adjustments and test-ride it, but not that much of a hassle.

spookytooth
19th October 2007, 13:16
also it pays to pump your tires up it bit with a pillion

vifferman
19th October 2007, 13:23
also it pays to pump your tires up it bit with a pillion
Well Ack Shirley, for the VFR the unladen and laden tyre pressure are the same.

Bullitt
19th October 2007, 17:17
Something I should look into, I havnt touched my bikes suspension adjustment since I bought it. Im probably 20 kg lighter than the last owner and plan to do 2000ks with a pillion at christmas so Id imagine I need to learn

manwithav8
20th October 2007, 16:52
I am glad I woke everyone up to this lol

Just finished a round trip of 300+ kms and all feels fine with 2 up.. Could still be a little softer I guess but the preload is still wound up to it's max which surely isn't right..

Yes I know I need to get it sorted but untill I set the sag for myself there is no point in doing it for the two of us..

If it is still raining tomorrow maybe I should do it then. Al ready missing out on a ride to castle point but thats ok. PLenty of other rides.