PDA

View Full Version : Waving - what do you do?

Motu
17th October 2004, 22:50
Waving - it's an important topic,so I thought I should start a whole thread about it,just incase this has been over looked here before.

I've been driving a truck and humping furniture this weekend - just a little Isuzu Elf,but big enough to need an HT licence.So truckies wave to each other eh? I'm one of the ''brotherhood'' now,so I gotta do it right man,gotta wave to the boys like I've been doing this all my life....oooh,here comes a truck bigger than mine,shall we wave? oh,it's another one of my Bro Inlaw's trucks (you Westies should know the dark blue Affordable trucks) ,I know the driver of this one so we and my 2 young co drivers give him a big wave (that'll stop the RT traffic asking who the old fart is in No6) Hey,the driver of that big rig is waving!....no,he's just reaching for the RT...

Oh well,looks like truck drivers are just like motorcyclists,the other small truck drivers just think you are a nobody like they are,the big boys don't wave to the rabble - just like bikes I think...glad I didn't wave at any drivers,could of got my Bro Inlaw in trouble with the real truckers...

Posh Tourer :P
18th October 2004, 07:47
Its everywhere huh... We passed a few bikes while going south - Beemer tourer didnt wave to all the sportsbikes, but I got a wave back......

But maybe that was just because he couldnt move his hand fast enough, and I got a wave cos I was at the back :D

Ms Piggy
18th October 2004, 07:49
When I was driving trucks I used to wave at the other truck drivers unless I was in one of those really little trucks that you don't need your HT for, although I sat my HT license in a little truck but I could b/c it had a load on.

Who cares - just wave mate.

vifferman
18th October 2004, 07:55
I too have my HT, Motu, and I found that even in a bigger truck, they don't always wave. Used a BIG (10 tonne?) furniture truck to move my Mum's stuff between Putaruru and Rotorua, and none of the truckers waved back. Maybe because it was a rental truck, so they knew I wasn't one o' the bros, but just a pretender. :moon:

Just another example of the elitism / "You're not one of us" bullshit that people get up to, I guess.

Motu
18th October 2004, 09:23
When I was a kid all the truck drivers and bus drivers waved to each other,when I was working on trucks in the 70s the big companies would have hundreds of trucks in the fleet,the drivers were on wages and changed jobs often - they often personaly knew who they were waving at.Now there are so many more trucks on the road,and most of the big rigs are owner driver,they are now businessmen,life is much more serious - now a truck costs more than a house and you have to buy in to be a member of the club.I see the big rigs flash lights at night - we still have the secret handshake....

FROSTY
18th October 2004, 09:32
I thought all sprt bike riders were iggerant twats--they never seem to wave- :Pokey:
Then I got the zxr and realised its pretty hard midcorner to wave and all i could manage was a nod. :bash:
As a rule ill wave to anyone on any bike .

Kendog
18th October 2004, 11:27
I saw a cool looking guy on a sweet bike just like mine at the lights, so I waved and got a wave back :)

Then I realised I was looking at my reflection in a shop window :wavey:

thehollowmen
18th October 2004, 11:34
I saw a cool looking guy on a sweet bike just like mine at the lights, so I waved and got a wave back :)

bwahahahaha I've done that before too

I tend to salute with my left hand now... so I can keep the throttle on hard and stay at the 'undred mark

Midnight 82
18th October 2004, 11:56
:ride: Yep I always wave to fellow bikes.. :yeah:

ching_ching
18th October 2004, 13:34

At least you didn't get snobbed. :2thumbsup

maybe
18th October 2004, 22:15
A quick nod of the head when needing to keep the bike steady in the wind is acceptable in windless wgtn but in general a friendly left hand wave :wavey:

Blakamin
18th October 2004, 22:32
saw 1 harley today... and he waved.... was it the ducati??? hope not... hope he was a nice guy.... oh, a bmw rider waved tooo :thud: