PDA

View Full Version : '79 CBX1000 naked... rode that today

xgnr
19th October 2007, 19:46
Boss brought it in ... stimulated with my tales of the Grand Challenge and needed to show me a "real" bike.

Fook me - 6 cylinders, a real classic, took me back to my younger years of bike lust.

Took it for a spin around the car park... yay... always wanted to ride one. Sooooo original... sounds great, will take it for a blast in lieu of a bonus (like I get one anyway lol)

Just thought I'd share (piccy is off the web)

Oakie
19th October 2007, 19:53
Yeah there's one at Motorcycle Import Direct down here at Ch. Fat thing that it is. Tis good looking in a 'my penis is bigger than everyone elses' sort of a way.

bistard
19th October 2007, 19:53
Nice!!!!,brings back memories,they sounded great with a six into one exhaust,I would love one of those & a wire wheel Katana in the garage

xgnr
19th October 2007, 20:08
Sure was a nice bike. looking forward to taking a blat on his KZ1, RE5 and the Waterbottle (GS380??).

Cheers to old things

Stu

Pussy
19th October 2007, 20:16
Sure was a nice bike. looking forward to taking a blat on his KZ1, RE5 and the Waterbottle (GS380??).

Cheers to old things

Stu

GT750 is the waterbus. I've got a mate/colleague in Thames who owns an immaculate CBX, red with a six into six exhaust system....bloody beautiful. He's painted up his CB1300 in the same scheme as the CBX, also looks grouse

xgnr
19th October 2007, 20:47
GT750 is the waterbus. I've got a mate/colleague in Thames who owns an immaculate CBX, red with a six into six exhaust system....bloody beautiful. He's painted up his CB1300 in the same scheme as the CBX, also looks grouse

Cool stuff

Just thinking wasnt there a GT380?? water cooled thing?

Pussy
19th October 2007, 20:54
The GT380 was air cooled, still a triple, and bore a resemblance to the GT750. Good bikes for the time

_intense_
19th October 2007, 21:24
thats a fat bank of cylinders.. yes indeedy

roadracingoldfart
19th October 2007, 21:52
Nice!!!!,brings back memories,they sounded great with a six into one exhaust,I would love one of those & a wire wheel Katana in the garage

There was an occasion :whistle: that 2 of those bikes were in the shop at the same time so we had an improptu drag race with them. WOW what a missile they were but corners were a bit scarey. 125 r/w HP but quite heavy.
Wayne Gardner raced one in Aussie a few times and had serious grinding problems.
An Aussie bloke built a superchaged :crazy: methanol burning monster CBX1000 (bored out of course) producing over 200 HP for drag racing and he took out several state titles with it before building a GOLD WING based bike. Now thats desperate.

I would rather have a CB1100R in the garage but a CBX would do !!.

HenryDorsetCase
19th October 2007, 21:59
There are a lot of mad euro and american people who lurve their CBX's and who build bloody cool specials out of them.

There is even one for sale on tardme at present: I think $15k? and interesting to hear that the one at MID is still there. I might go have a look at it tomorrow: Im doing the rounds of the bikeshops in the morning.

I would like one, but really just to have... and I'm kind of done with owning stuff just for the sake of owning it.

The kneeslider had this (http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/10/11/ducati-cbx-custom-by-dan-uhing-update/)one recently

Kickaha
20th October 2007, 06:30
An Aussie bloke built a superchaged :crazy: methanol burning monster CBX1000 (bored out of course) producing over 200 HP for drag racing and he took out several state titles with it

There used to be a turboed CBX1000 in Christchurch in the early eighties, I remember it being on display at a bike show in Chch and also seeing it at a gas station in Kaikoura on the way back from the Hawkesbury road races

A guy over the road from work is restoring one that he bought in form the USA

xgnr
20th October 2007, 06:52
There are a lot of mad euro and american people who lurve their CBX's and who build bloody cool specials out of them.

There is even one for sale on tardme at present: I think $15k? and interesting to hear that the one at MID is still there. I might go have a look at it tomorrow: Im doing the rounds of the bikeshops in the morning.

I would like one, but really just to have... and I'm kind of done with owning stuff just for the sake of owning it.

The kneeslider had this (http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/10/11/ducati-cbx-custom-by-dan-uhing-update/)one recently

Yeeh the boss was drooling over the one on Trademe. It had 1900miles on it! very original except for the pipe.

Bren
20th October 2007, 08:16
thats a few carbies to balance eh?

tri boy
20th October 2007, 10:19
thats a few carbies to balance eh?

Oooh, carb strip/clean and balance on the "six":Pokey:
brings back w/shop memories:rolleyes:.
Valve clearances and full service was one hell of a labour intensive gig.:oi-grr:
But the "Test Ride" was worth it.:woohoo:

The mercury gauges were the best for accuracy, but I never found a set of six.(used two vacum needle gauges with the 4 mercury ones)
Once they were balanced properly, the Honda clutch basket rattle(cheap load springs) was barely audible.
The gyro affect of the crank could be noticed powering out of a corner.:Punk:

Thunder 8
20th October 2007, 12:57
Used to have a red and black one with a six into one that had a banshee howl when caning it.There are some awesome heavily modded CBX's on the net heres a couple .

nudemetalz
20th October 2007, 19:01
Beautiful bikes. I had the money and/or the Mrs let me I'd own one in a flash.

Thunder 8
20th October 2007, 19:42
Beautiful bikes. I had the money and/or the Mrs let me I'd own one in a flash.
Not enough money and a handbrake,that can be tough hehe.:doh:

nudemetalz
20th October 2007, 21:52
I'm lucky in the fact my Mrs loves the Guzzi and rides it more than I do...umm..did I say lucky... ??!!

Thunder 8
20th October 2007, 22:14
Haha yea thats hard when the missus likes to hog the action.... mind you easy answer = 2 guzzis.:yes: