PDA

View Full Version : Do fines really modify our behaviour ?

davereid
19th October 2007, 19:58
Do fines really modify our behaviour ? Do we .. take the risk as we may not be caught.. do we assume we will just get away with it.. do we just pay it and treat it as another unavoidable charge ?

kiwifruit
19th October 2007, 19:59
they did mine, or rather my bike...

fitted a 62mph limiter to take away the temptation

sunhuntin
19th October 2007, 20:16
nup... otherwise people wouldnt be racking up thousands of dollars worth, lol.

Oakie
19th October 2007, 20:24
Fines don't
Demerit points do.
I get back to zero demerits in 4 days. Yippee. (And Mrs Oakie still doesn't know I got them :nono:)

cowboyz
19th October 2007, 20:28
I dont particularly like getting fines. I will try to talk my way out of it if pulled over. But if it happens then it happens.

Toaster
19th October 2007, 22:32
Never been fined. Never been caught. Never say never.

<G>
20th October 2007, 04:45
"Fines are a tax on fun"

Ralph
20th October 2007, 05:17
Tax is a fine for doing well and a Fine is a Tax for doing wrong.

If I wasn't prepared to pay it I wouldn't take the risk.

Dave Lobster
20th October 2007, 07:04
Do burglars and vandals get fined?

Grahameeboy
20th October 2007, 07:16
they did mine, or rather my bike...

fitted a 62mph limiter to take away the temptation

Utter bollocks.....................

RC1
20th October 2007, 07:24
nup... otherwise people wouldnt be racking up thousands of dollars worth, lol.

i think its mostly cage drivers that let there fines get that high isnt it ??

scumdog
20th October 2007, 07:33
Never been fined. Never been caught. Never say never.

Wot 'e sed.:cool:

(almost)

hospitalfood
20th October 2007, 07:41
I'm not as stupid as I was in the past, and it is less expensive........I think they do modify our behaviour.
but not our opinions.

DMNTD
20th October 2007, 07:51
I suppose they(fines) have altered my riding.
Decided that it was a good idea to sell off my hyper sports bike and buy something that made it easier to ride at the open road limits.

After a bloody awesome Police Officer reduced a speeding ticket from a jail-able offence to 139kmph it woke me up big time re my open road riding style and lack of right handed "maturity".

007XX
20th October 2007, 08:49
After a bloody awesome Police Officer reduced a speeding ticket from a jail-able offence to 139kmph it woke me up big time re my open road riding style and lack of right handed "maturity".
[/B]

I bet you the cop was a "she", right? :blip: She obviously thought you were awesome too...:laugh:

Anyway, more seriously: I'm an old fashion kind of gal...if you don't want the punishment, don't do the offence.
Only ever got one ticket in my time driving and I deserved it. I knew it, I bowed my head in shame, paid the price and never did it again.:spanking:

So the fines (or the possible threat of one) definitely affects my riding.

davereid
20th October 2007, 09:04
Tax is a fine for doing well and a Fine is a Tax for doing wrong.

So does income tax modify behaviour ? I know it has changed mine.

I no longer bother with employees - it's just too much hassle for the extra money I can make.

I don't really do that many hours any more, as the extra income vanishes in tax, and just comes back to bite as ACC and provisional tax liability the next year.

Does this only effect the self employed - does PAYE mean employees don't really "click" as to how much tax they pay. Do the self employed notice it more because they pay the IRD from their cheque book.?

-df-
20th October 2007, 09:37
well a warning was what slowed me down a fair bit, got let off a fine for 70kmh over limit with a "Don't do it again"...tell you what...almost had a heart attack when I was pulled over thinking....shit...there goes my license and ability to get to work.

Didn't do anything like that again...well sold the bike a couple of months after so who knows if I get back on a road bike what will happen...

The Pastor
20th October 2007, 17:13
fun tax isnt very fun!

surfchick
20th October 2007, 17:30
the threat of police didn't slow me down -but Morc's fines thread has done! almost cured me of speeding. esp. with a trakday coming I kept it mellow all day today mostly so i can afford some nu breaks for the bike.

The Pastor
20th October 2007, 17:45
when i ride fast I prefer to go in two groups,

the fast group that leaves about 1min before i do, then a slower group behind me.

Fast group takes care of the cops and with the time delay leaves the road empty for me.

Then if for what ever reason there are heaps of cops doing a crack down I can blend into the slow group behind :D

I love motorbikes.

I don't love "speeding" I love riding at a speed I feel safe at - and that doesnt always = 100km/hr.

Am I a bad person for speeding?

HELL YEAH!

SVboy
20th October 2007, 18:46
I like going at a speed suitable for the conds and my skill level-not to slow, not to fast, just right, but that does not quite tally with the law! I figure fines are just part of the sport. I hope when I get my Bel, I feel a bit more secure.....Speed=my choice, Fines=my responsibility.:calm:

vifferman
21st October 2007, 11:35
Fines don't
Demerit points do.

Oh yeah - +1 on that.

DougB
21st October 2007, 20:39
Im on a pension and if I get a fine it would hurt, so the threat of fines works with me. However when a long deserted road is ahead!!!!!!!!

bomma
21st October 2007, 23:03
try not to speed around town and main highways (after gettin snapped speeding out of whangarei) more for safety reasons (erratic cages and peds)

but on empty open roads.....i cant be held responsible for the actions of my right hand....kinda has a mind of its own :niceone:

Toaster
21st October 2007, 23:12
.... However when a long deserted road is ahead!!!!!!!!

mmmmm long road with dessert..... mmmmmm

007XX
22nd October 2007, 10:30
mmmmm long road with dessert..... mmmmmm

Hasn't anyone told you you're not supposed to eat and ride?

Sheesh:rolleyes: ...*and no, it doesn't matter that Jessica Alba is the dessert...! * :laugh:

Toaster
22nd October 2007, 11:34
Hasn't anyone told you you're not supposed to eat and ride?

Sheesh:rolleyes: ...*and no, it doesn't matter that Jessica Alba is the dessert...! * :laugh:

Now that WOULD be my favourite pudding!