PDA

View Full Version : indicator tickticktick then flash flash flash....

The Pastor
20th October 2007, 16:26
Hey guys

92 mc22 (cbr250)

I put the indicator on and I hear this ticking sound - like the indicator should make - but really fast and no flash, then when the sound returns to the normal speed, the flash starts up.

Any ideas whats up?

Cheer

Rm

surfer
20th October 2007, 17:13
Did you change anything or did this start happening by itself?

Sounds like your flasher unit might be on its way out, or there might be a loose connection going into it. See if someone can swop a flasher unit with you.

Grub
20th October 2007, 17:28
I put the indicator on and I hear this ticking sound - really fast and no flash,

What that tells you is that part of the circuit is not complete. Normally that means one of the bulbs has gone. If it is happening intermittently, then that suggests either a bulb on the way out or a connector not seating properly

riffer
20th October 2007, 17:36
Another thing to check is that you haven't got some water inside the indicator too. It happens on my bike a bit - you get some corrosion from the moisture inside and it shorts out the light intermittently.

Rip the cover off, gently take out the bulbs - if there's corrosion they'll stick and you can pull off the glass and leave the rest in there. Spray some contact cleaner and dry it all off, then put the bulb back in.

good luck. :)

The Pastor
20th October 2007, 17:37
What that tells you is that part of the circuit is not complete. Normally that means one of the bulbs has gone. If it is happening intermittently, then that suggests either a bulb on the way out or a connector not seating properly
ok thanks dude, i'll check all the connections, i noticed it after doing lots of jumps and stoppies etc etc so it could be a loose connection / bulb issue

every time i want to go fix it it seems to work as it should, and im not the one to mess with something if its working :)

FROSTY
20th October 2007, 17:58
Before you go pullin stuff to bits -Try this--Hold ya bike at 4000 rpm -brakes off --now put the indicator on --does it work right away?
No issues with other peoples diagnosis but my thoughts go to battery drain --ie --indicators are being put on at low rpm in combination with brakes-(brakelights) maybee the voltage is too low to kick the solenoid into life right off

manwithav8
20th October 2007, 20:26
Before you go pullin stuff to bits -Try this--Hold ya bike at 4000 rpm -brakes off --now put the indicator on --does it work right away?
No issues with other peoples diagnosis but my thoughts go to battery drain --ie --indicators are being put on at low rpm in combination with brakes-(brakelights) maybee the voltage is too low to kick the solenoid into life right off

Sounds like battery needs attention to me

MarkyMark
20th October 2007, 23:07
I had a similar thing on my 50cc where the left indicator was fine, and the right would tickticktick real fast half a dozen times then stop, with the front indicator off and the rear one solidly on. It was a loose connection to the right indicator bulb, fixed it by jiggling the wire until it worked properly, then cable tying wire in that position. :whistle:

The Pastor
22nd October 2007, 09:17
Thanks for your replies everyone.

I think it may be the battery - the delay is much shorter at high revs, and explains a little bit.

How much are bike batties? I know my car one cost $120 for a really big heavy duty one, and bike batterys are tiny so they should be like $30 aye..........

Drew
22nd October 2007, 09:50
$35 for a bike battery, not worth putting up with a shit one for the sake of so few clams

The Pastor
22nd October 2007, 10:45
oh yes. Thats somthing I can afford.

What?
23rd October 2007, 19:01
If the ticking you are talking about is high-speed, almost like a rattle, for about half a second or so every time you turn the indicators on, it's perfectly normal. Bloody-near all Honda flashers make that sound, as do those fitted to quite a few other bikes - it's just the way the flasher works. Don't worry about it.