PDA

View Full Version : A Cruiser - How big is enough??

dangerman
18th October 2004, 11:36
I would like to buy a cruiser one day to compliment my Yamy TX600.

Cruisers range from 250cc to 2000cc plus, but how big is big enough??
All I want to do is travel at the speed limit with a bit of spare Oomph for passing and head winds etc. Comments appreciated

Also, what's the best measure of cruiser bike performance cc or hp ???

HanaBelle
18th October 2004, 12:22

All I want to do is travel at the speed limit with a bit of spare Oomph for passing and head winds etc. Comments appreciated

IMO, what matters is *where* the power is? - ie passing power means the need for a power band when you need it in fourth/fifth travelling 100kmph (which the Vulcan has). Check out www.motorcyclecruiser.com for reviews, road tests etc. Personally, I want a VTX1300. Anything bigger is, well, some kinda comment on your head, not your bike. Your milage may vary.

HB

[Addition: one review addresses the size issue: http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/size//index.html]

jrandom
18th October 2004, 12:35
Just do the rounds and test-ride as many as you can. You'll find one that feels right. No real point asking for others' opinions, I think; it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Peak power ratings in horsepower or kilowatts will tell you something about how an engine behaves; a dyno chart showing the power output throughout the rev range will tell you more. But if you're buying a cruiser, you're not buying it for the wanky numbers on the spec sheet. Right?

Ride 'em and see...

White trash
18th October 2004, 13:36
2.3L is almost enough. With a turbo.

jrandom
18th October 2004, 13:59

Bollocks. I didn't want to say this for fear of hurting people's feelings, but let's face it; 8L is a requirement. And all those pansies with less than 10 cylinders between their legs can just go home and cry themselves to sleep on their frilly pink pillows.

dhunt
18th October 2004, 14:27
And all those pansies with less than 10 cylinders between their legs can just go home and cry themselves to sleep on their frilly pink pillows.As in 10 of your bike strapped together???? :killingme :killingme

Two Smoker
18th October 2004, 14:33
. And all those pansies with less than 10 speeds between their legs can just go home and cry themselves to sleep on their frilly pink pillows.
ooohhhhh ive got a ten speed..... its a beast with tiny tyres.....

But agree with everyone, test ride is the best answer....

Omega1
18th October 2004, 15:31
1340 plus a few mods......

idb
18th October 2004, 16:17

Can we assume that you're heading for a Triumph?

Jackrat
18th October 2004, 17:01
Don't think the CC matters much.
You ride on Tourqe not HP,so that's what you should be looking at as a power guide.If your going to be doing big Kms look for something that ain't working at your highway speeds.For me anything between 750-1000cc would be heaps.
but more is always fun too. :devil2:

Motu
18th October 2004, 17:43
Yep,you can feel torque,not HP - way back when the Japs first hit the cruiser market the Honda Shadow was the best of the bunch...made more horsepower,quicker 1/4 mile and highest top speed - but it didn't sell,they found the potential buyers didn't ''think'' it was powerfull enough.So...they retuned the engine to give kick in the pants grunt like a Harley,so instead of 100hp at 9500rpm it now gave 60hp at 4500rpm (just a guess but it's close to what happened) Wow! now the things got some grunt,must be bloody fast eh? So the bike started to sell - seat of the pants is so much more exciting than figures in a road test.

muppitt
18th October 2004, 19:00
BIGGER IS ALWAYS BETTER ,torque is a wonderfull thing. but if you plan on riding two up on a regularly take your pillion with you for some demonstrator tests . alot of cruisers are bloody uncomfortable on the back ,and loads of torque means kicks in arm pits.
sissy bars and a new seat can be costly.

Motu
18th October 2004, 20:12
Well,bigger is more torque,simple as that.

Skyryder
29th October 2004, 20:43
Go for a test ride. If you are looking at cruisers a test ride is 3 hours in the saddle minimum. You can have all the power/torque or whatever else you want to call it but but if your but is in agony it aint no fun. Then again you may be able to put up with the pain and then customise the seat. Look for how good are the controls, do the foot control fit. In short does the bike fit or do you have to fit the bike. You are about to spend some serious money if they want to sell they fit your needs not the other way around.

Skyryder

marty
29th October 2004, 21:21
there's a good write up in one of the old bikepoint about a marauder 800 - they look like pretty well put together machines. there was a comparison with it's bigger brother in a later mag too

http://www.bikepoint.co.nz/portal/alias__bikepointnz/tabID__5780/BikeArticleID__118996/DesktopDefault.aspx

marty
29th October 2004, 21:28
although i rode one of these, and it was a BLAST....

http://www.bikepoint.co.nz/portal/alias__bikepointnz/tabID__5780/BikeArticleID__119155/DesktopDefault.aspx

Toddy
29th October 2004, 21:54
Since returning to motorcycling after 30 odd years I have put some serious kms on my Suzuki Volusia. Its a big bike, but has more than sufficient power to blast along even when two up. It is every bit as big as any of the big engine cruisers out there. Many assumes it’s a HD - which is nice and they are even more surprised when I state it is only a 800cc engine. The machine is tight, well built, goes well, stops well, feels balanced on the open road too. Do I need a bigger engine nup, mind you it would impress the punters more when they ask me how big is that engine? :msn-wink:

Bob
29th October 2004, 22:06
Just do the rounds and test-ride as many as you can. You'll find one that feels right. No real point asking for others' opinions, I think; it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Peak power ratings in horsepower or kilowatts will tell you something about how an engine behaves; a dyno chart showing the power output throughout the rev range will tell you more. But if you're buying a cruiser, you're not buying it for the wanky numbers on the spec sheet. Right?

Ride 'em and see...

I'd go along with this. You said you want enough power to overtake? Well I've overtaken at 75mph on my wife's 250cc Virago. I've also perched my backside on a 650 Dragstar and that was an excellent bike. And that would give enough grunt to overtake at legal speeds with ease.

As JRandom says, test ride as many as you can and find one that suits you. You need to find a bike that feels right, is going to be comfortable for miles (lets face it, you're going to be using it on longer riders).

The current fascination for bigger and bigger engines isn't, IMO, a good idea. Great for people who are already riding... but what are people first starting out going to ride? 3 litres of engine isn't "newbie friendly" is it?

(And for all those people who think the Rocket III rivals an R1 - get real! It may have a huge engine, but how many R1's equal the weight of a Rocket III? Four? Five? Again as JRandom says, the numbers on the specs aren't why you look to buy a bike like this).

Lone _Rider
5th January 2005, 21:17
Heya guys and gals at the moment im riden a VF 1100 and i find it a great bike has plenty of grunt for the hills and more than enough for over taking i love it . Just did a ride around the east coast above Gisborne magic bike for the trip . My first bike was a GS 1000 l it also was a great bike but like people say every one to there own :)

rfc85
30th June 2005, 06:58
Hi, maybe somehere can give me some info on either the Suzuki C50 or 540 single as I am thinking of getting either of these in the near future ?
Anyone got one, not looking for alot of speed, more comfort on 3-4 hr rides as long as it can pass slow cars

Krusti
30th June 2005, 07:04
Mates got a Rocket3 and a Street Rod, the Prick. Reckons two and a half litres of torque is addictive. Yet to give me a ride tho!

Motu
30th June 2005, 07:19
I had a C50 for years,one of the most useful and reliable bikes I've ever owned - but mine was a Honda not a Suzuki,so that probably explanis it....

Big Dave
30th June 2005, 10:55
Anything bigger is, well, some kinda comment on your head, not your bike.

You can tell that to my 6'5" 115kg bum!
I was dissapointed the Rocket 3 is so small and low.
But It's the only thing that is close to 'my size' from pegs to seat.

sels1
30th June 2005, 13:38
Mates got a Rocket3 and a Street Rod, the Prick. Reckons two and a half litres of torque is addictive. Yet to give me a ride tho!

I rode both those models last weekend.....the Rocket was mucho fun to ride, despite its size

TriumphMan
30th June 2005, 14:15

Just buy a rocket 3. The size and weight disappears when you ride it. I went in to buy a Triumph Speedmaster when White Trash convinced me to try a ride on the rocket. 30 minutes later I was back and just bought a Rocket....awesome bike, a bit posey, but you'll grin heaps on it, and it handles too. I upgraded from a daytona 600.

skidz
9th July 2005, 22:32
Why not sit back and see what comes up next. It may be bigger than the rocket.

Macktheknife
29th August 2005, 19:39

I'm sorry cruiser and performance are not often found in the same description BUT I reckon you should ride a few. I have enjoyed both Suzuki Intruders and Honda Shadows (700 to 1400cc) The only comment my mates have made on larger bikes (2000 or more) is that there is no where to really wind it out.

Bagster
6th September 2005, 22:18
Don't stuff around, buy a Harley, all other cruisers are plastic wannabe's that devalue quicker than a Warehouse computer. Example...Honda VTX 1800 used to be about $28000 new. Now they are selling them at about $18,000. Buy one now and keep it for a year or so and it will be worth about $12K.

Of course if you are on a limited budget then they are good buying, they just don't have any street cred.

bugjuice
6th September 2005, 22:22
Yamaha MT01 (http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/motor/prod_detail.asp?MD_ID=194&modelcatid=16) should do it...

Waylander
6th September 2005, 22:29
Of course if you are on a limited budget then they are good buying, they just don't have any street cred.
Mate, you don't need to ride a harley to get "street cred" and anyone who gives "cred" just on the basis of what you ride arn't really bikers. They are the wanna-bes, real bikers don't give a crap what you ride so long as you ride.

IMHO

Motu
6th September 2005, 23:13
I don't give a crap - that's why I'm full of shit.

Big Dave
7th September 2005, 18:13
Mate, you don't need to ride a harley to get "street cred" and anyone who gives "cred" just on the basis of what you ride arn't really bikers. They are the wanna-bes, real bikers don't give a crap what you ride so long as you ride.

IMHO

Nip in to the 'Filthy Few' clubhouse and tell them that. They might see the light.

Big Dave
7th September 2005, 18:15
I don't give a crap - that's why I'm full of shit.

You *can't* be full of it - there's so much of it on here.

Storm
7th September 2005, 18:20

IMHO

Well put that man! Never a truer word spoken

Waylander
7th September 2005, 18:23
Nip in to the 'Filthy Few' clubhouse and tell them that. They might see the light.
I may be psychotic, delusional and am mildly entertained by the thought of my own death, but I'm not stupid.:dodge:

Big Dave
7th September 2005, 18:37
I may be psychotic, delusional and am mildly entertained by the thought of my own death, but I'm not stupid.:dodge:

lol - very good

Bagster
8th September 2005, 21:31

IMHO
In an ideal world that would be true but in this world it's crap. The reality is that 'bikers' almost always judge cred on the basis of what you ride, whether it is a cruiser or sports bike or whatever and also dare I say it on engine size. I didn't say it is right or even that I agree, but it is reality.

"real bikers" what the hell does that mean. I've listened to jap sports bike riders scoff at Harley riders as posers yet I know a number of Harley riders who do more miles in a month than most crotch rocket pilots do in a year. On the other hand I know that a lot of Harley riders are so up themselves that they wont even acknowledge other riders on the road with a wave.