PDA

View Full Version : Our kids are awesome!

Edbear
21st October 2007, 11:16
Been somewhat nostalgic of late as this weekend, (22nd), is our 30th wedding anniversary. We knew the kids were planning something, but had no idea what!

Well, eldest daughter and husband picked us up at 5:15pm, blindfolded us and set off! I knew the route well enough to know we were heading into Aucks, and their commentary was intended to get us as nervous as possible, random comments about ropes and bungying... Apparently, we got some interesting stares from other car occupants through the traffic... This couple, blindfolded in the back seat of a Corolla SW...

I knew we'd gone into an underground carpark and assumed we were under Sky City, but we were taken, still blindfolded and led up stairs through a building, attracting, apparently, some interesting stares and comments from the general public! Our daughter, several times explaining that it was our 30th anniversary and a surprise for us!

We were sat down in a cafe somewhere and waited, while surreptitious txting and phoning went on and eventually, with us by now very unsure and disorientated, we were led up more stairs and two escalators into a darkened room, down more steps, (with comments about my propensity to fall down stairs!), and were stood side by side and turned around, allowed to hold hands. My wife said, "It's quiet!". I responded, "Too quiet!" Then with a count of three, our blindfolds were whipped off!

Blow me down they'd hired the VIP theatre at Imax and we looked up to see it full of our oldest and dearest friends, all sat in the recliners and cheering us!

I said, "Hey, I only brought two hanky's!"

We were ushured, (sp), to the middle seats and given wine and popcorn. The theatre was darkened and we were all told to enjoy the movie! What followed was incredible! The kids, and our youngest daughter's husband in particular, had spent 5mths making a DVD along the lines of "This is your life!" First up was the BeeGees video of "Words", our original favourite from when we first met, played on one of two cartoon TV screens while the other screen played photos and video clips of our wedding and scenes through the past 30 years! Next came a very amusing acting out of our lives through the years with interviews of friends and family! The editing was amazing and showed just what our sons-in-law could do, especially Rudy, our youngest daughter's husband who had been doing IT marketing and advertising in Germany! Imax offered him a job!

Afterwards, and a couple of soaked hanky's later... we were taken to a restaurant where we had a great meal and time together. I had to give the customary speech, which caused some hilarity and then they brought out two cakes baked as copies of the cakes we had at our wedding!

An incredible night that will be remembered forever! I reckon my wife looks as great now as she did 30 years ago, and each morning I wake up next to her I think how lucky I am! We have three incredible, wonderful kids and two amazing sons-in-law, a wonderful Grandson and many great friends who make life worth living! The trip down memory lane was very special and reinforced why we're still together and why we should never take our family and friends for granted!

Cherish your loved ones, and let them know how much you appreciate them!

Colapop
21st October 2007, 11:27
WOW!! They are fantastic! I wonder who their parents were? (They musta got it from somewhere...)

nadroj
21st October 2007, 11:29
A great tribute from family & friends - enjoy the afterglow & the 30th honeymoon.

vifferman
21st October 2007, 11:31
Wow! What great offsrping you have! (Uh... can we borrow them to train up ours? :confused:)

Congratulations on 30 years together!! :hug: WELL DONE!! :niceone:

Edbear
21st October 2007, 11:34
WOW!! They are fantastic! I wonder who their parents were? (They musta got it from somewhere...)

Dunno, but next weekend they've shouted us a weekend at Pauanui! Hope to take the bike up! Got two new matching helmets with Bluetooth intercoms to try out...

Colapop
21st October 2007, 11:48
You should ask your missus if she wants to go with you!! :scooter:

LilSel
21st October 2007, 11:59
That is so very cool!!! You have raised some wonderful kids by the sounds of it!!!

I grinned from ear to ear reading your post!! :2thumbsup

Has given me some ideas for my parents next anniversary in December...
I think its 38 years this dec...

They met when they were both in primary school (5yr olds!!) & have been together ever since... (they have been together for 50 years!!)

Its kinda uncommon these days, I am really lucky to have such great parents. I would love to do something like this for them!!

Congratulations for your anniversary & best wishes for many more to come :D

Edbear
21st October 2007, 12:12
That is so very cool!!! You have raised some wonderful kids by the sounds of it!!!

I grinned from ear to ear reading your post!! :2thumbsup

Has given me some ideas for my parents next anniversary in December...
I think its 38 years this dec...

They met when they were both in primary school (5yr olds!!) & have been together ever since... (they have been together for 50 years!!)

Its kinda uncommon these days, I am really lucky to have such great parents. I would love to do something like this for them!!

Congratulations for your anniversary & best wishes for many more to come :D

Thanks and all the best with your plans! We were absolutely blown away! The time and money they spent! We're very humbled! Our friends had travelled from as far away as Taupo, Matamata and Whangarei just for that night!

You can tell by the pics we were married young...:niceone:

rainman
21st October 2007, 12:17
Good on them, and on you for obviously doing a good job of parenting. Congrats on the 30th, too - quite an achievement. Our 20th is coming up next year, which is a bit of a surprise (more along the lines of "how time flies" than "how did we put up with each other for so long".... :rolleyes: )

LilSel
21st October 2007, 12:22
Thanks and all the best with your plans! We were absolutely blown away! The time and money they spent! We're very humbled! Our friends had travelled from as far away as Taupo, Matamata and Whangarei just for that night!

You can tell by the pics we were married young...:niceone:

Very very cool :)

Has honestly made my day hearing what they did, & reading your post & the way you speak of your wife... Awesome!! :D

Am a big sook for stuff like this lol!... makes me appreciate how fortunate I am as well.

My parents got married as soon as my mum turned 18, dad was 19... he had alot more hair back then tho hehe... n no pot belly!... I love looking at the pictures of their wedding!... mum was a model back in the day... & she looks so beautiful in the pictures!! I have the utmost repsect for my mum n dad, they are my idols... The numberplate on my car is 'lilsel' (dads name is selwyn) as I am just like my dad lol... :D... ok... ranting now... sorry lol...

have a wonderful weekend Edbear & Mrs Edbear :D

Edbear
21st October 2007, 18:40
(more along the lines of "how time flies" than "how did we put up with each other for so long".... :rolleyes: )

LOL!!! Bit o' both for us...!:whistle:

20 years is doin' great, too! Bet you're looking forward to it!

deanohit
21st October 2007, 18:46
Dude, that is so awesome, congrats on the 30 years together!

Taz
21st October 2007, 18:57
Very cool Kids Edbear. Congrats on the 30 years. Sharon and I are one 8 years behind you but our kids are only young.......

Coyote
21st October 2007, 19:21
They want something out of you. Or they're hiding something. You know kids...

mbazza
21st October 2007, 20:09
Congratulations to you both and to your kids. Sounds like a great night. Thanks for the post. The pride in your voice could be heard as I read it! Cheers.

Toaster
21st October 2007, 20:13
Edbear, congratulations on making a milestone many could only dream to achieve in marriage. It certainly says something about commitment.

What a touching tribute paid by your family. Big ups to them for doing something so memorable for you both.

You must be very proud.

klingon
21st October 2007, 20:20
I loved reading that and looking at the pics! My parents were married for 48 years, until my Dad died in August. For their 48th wedding anniversary he bought a tub of icecream for him and Mum to share - he wasn't one for big romantic gestures, but he was an absolute darling and Mum still loved him to bits after all those years.

Your kids did an amazing job. Most amazing of all was that you didn't suspect! I need some lessons in stealth from them. :yes:

I'm so glad they are showing you how much they love and appreciate you both.

Edbear
21st October 2007, 20:23
Edbear, congratulations on making a milestone many could only dream to achieve in marriage. It certainly says something about commitment.

What a touching tribute paid by your family. Big ups to them for doing something so memorable for you both.

You must be very proud.

Proud? We were gobsmacked! It's not often I'm lost for words, but I just didn't know what to say! The five of them just blew off the scale of our love and respect for them! Rudy gave us the DVD and we watched it again today.

Amazing! I keep thinking, they worked on this for five months without us having a clue! None of our friends let anything slip the whole time! As I said, we're very humbled by it!

And thanks to all here for the green and the comments! May it all go as well for you all!

Edbear
22nd October 2007, 07:38
To cap it all off, we gave each other our cards this morning! AS she opened hers, she said, "I DON"T believe it!"

I opened mine and we'd bought each other the SAME cards!!!!!:lol:

MSTRS
22nd October 2007, 10:44
I opened mine and we'd bought each other the SAME cards!!!!!:lol:

Great minds think alike (not to mention the rest of that statement). You two obviously have the recipe right for your relationship. Congrats :2thumbsup:hug:

yungatart
22nd October 2007, 16:02
Well done on 30 years and bringing up an awesome family too!
You guys rock!

Edbear
30th October 2007, 16:41
As I mentioned, our kids shouted us a weekend at Pauanui so I told the boss I wouldn't be in Monday and off we went!

Well, we took the bike, but our new Bluetooth intercoms stopped working as we hit the Motorway and we spent ages in Cyclespot on the Sat arvo trying to get them working. Lindsay wasn't in and Phil did his best but I suspected a loose wire, we had little choice but to carry on with them dead. We also missed getting to the bike show at Telstra as we were running behind schedule by then. (They worked great while they were working!). :bye:

Had a good trip up to Pauanui, saw plenty of bikes on the way, several at the Kopu pub. The Boulevard made short work of the climb over the hill, cars and utes didn't hold us up much, though I was surprised at the general pace of the four wheelers! Most of them seemed to be in a hurry! I couldn't shake a couple of plumber's utes between Pauanui and Whitianga! They were pushing me along at times! :sweatdrop Mrs. Bear hit me in the ribs and nearly jumped off the back when I started scraping the footboards! Gave her a fright at first!:bash: LAter I explained about the little warning knobs and that the boards fold up... She still told me when we got to Coromandel on Monday for a late lunch that I should "ride it like an [I]upright[I] bike and not like a sports bike"...!:yes:

WE had to do the loop while we were there and saw a tasty Tuono while having lunch. Pics are of the resort, the Waterways and at the Coro cafe. We had a great weekend, and plan more riding together as the weather warms!

My wife can be a real blonde at times! One of the things I love about her! I had an English cooked breakfast at the resort and it had a really nice hash brown in it. She said, "That's how they should be cooked!" Then she said, "You know you can do them in the toaster, eh?" I said, "How long do you cook them for?" She thought deeply and said, "Umm. Until it pops up?":second:

Edbear
30th October 2007, 16:49
More pics

10char

Edbear
30th October 2007, 16:54
And some more...

Mrs Cowboyz
30th October 2007, 17:05
Where's the tissues..:crybaby: Wow you have raised amazing kids by the sounds of it. Big congrats on the 30th anniversary..imagine what the 50th will be like!! Although I cant imagine anything that could top that one!!